Author Topic: Tips for skating bumps/kickers  (Read 883 times)

MadeYouLook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
Tips for skating bumps/kickers
« on: March 20, 2021, 10:33:29 AM »
Spotted a nice bump to bar in my town. Rail isn’t that high so I think I could get over it. Only problem is I am terrible at skating bumps/kickers/curb cuts etc

While I’ll admit the easy answer here is to just skate them more and get more comfortable which I will do... any tips for how to skate them to get good height?

I feel I can’t bring the same pop I have on flat to anything that is a “bump”

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
Re: Tips for skating bumps/kickers
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 12:23:04 PM »
I don't know if that is helpful to you, but I love bumps.
When your front wheels reach the highest point of the bump/bank (the highest point in that case, is when the bank goes from angled back to straight). Then you should pop. And also, speed helps. The shorter the bump is, the harder it is to time the perfect moment of popping. But yeah, just try until you get a feeling for that.

Hope that made sense. :)
IG: @flowterspace

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 01:27:40 PM »
Only problem is I am terrible at skating

^me.

but yeah also have same issue with kickers/bumps etc, timing/weight distribution etc always felt weird to me.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 03:33:22 PM »
It’s a momentum thing - you’re trying to keep moving in the upward vector of the bump. If the bump is small don’t expect a huge launch. If the bump has a rounded over top you need to ollie a little earlier.

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 07:55:45 PM »
Thanks for the insights. Will try and put them to work.

Will post a clip if I ever step to it.

Brguy

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 08:41:44 AM »
What fs half cab said. Just do them on every street bump in your way and you'll get them eventually, just take care cause they can be dicks sometimes.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 11:18:48 PM »
Loosen up and just focus on hitting your tail....

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 12:50:35 AM »
Ît really helped me to have a little obstacle to jump over when figuring out bumps. This will help you to focus more on your pop than just making and landing an ollie. If you have a skatepark with a bump just bring a little obstacle and practice going over that. Or even better find a bump at a chill street spot and try ollieng over some things.

Good luck! Bumps are super fun to figure out. Few things feel btter than a good ollie or a properly caught flip out of a bump.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 02:11:55 AM »
It's seems counter-intuitive since the idea of bumps is to get higher, but I find if I move my front foot more forward than I would put it if I were on flat helps a lot to keep balance before and while you're in the air.

If I position my front foot too far back like I'm winding up for a big ollie or something it pitches me backwards off the bump and it's almost impossible to stay over the board in the air.

Skating bumps is super fun and there are some good ones in the bike paths around town where I live. I love em.