Author Topic: fs flips  (Read 1330 times)

walker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -9
fs flips
« on: February 22, 2021, 02:44:31 PM »
i suck at these. i've even landed a couple of them, but i still can't get them to flip even somewhat consistently at all. it's almost luck when i landed them it seems like. i've heard that foot positioning varies a lot from person to person, so i've also been try to move my feet around to no avail. is it one of those tricks you just gotta keep doing over and over? probably but if you got any tips it'd be cool.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
Re: fs flips
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 06:07:31 AM »
i suck at these. i've even landed a couple of them, but i still can't get them to flip even somewhat consistently at all. it's almost luck when i landed them it seems like. i've heard that foot positioning varies a lot from person to person, so i've also been try to move my feet around to no avail. is it one of those tricks you just gotta keep doing over and over? probably but if you got any tips it'd be cool.

Fs flips took me a long, long time to learn actively trying them compared to bs flips which came naturally one day. I usually try to keep my foot right before the bolts or just barely touching them, my shoulders straight so I can unwind them to make the rotation and while i've started rotating I try to make sure I flick upwards so my board doesn't roll off the ground. If you have a video of some attempts it might help to see where you're struggling

Kooky_Monster

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 09:42:52 AM »
The secret for good fs flips is picking your front foot straight up in the air as you pop, then get a quick but controlled flick. Most people instantly try to flick as soon they start the pop and 180, which can work, but it’s harder. Also scoop the tail (not a tre flip scoop. It’s a controlled fs 180 scoop) straight forward under you. Of course whip the shoulders around and don’t throw your shoulders off when you flick or jump, this will mess everything up.

The beginning about picking up the front foot first THEN flicking is the most important part in my opinion.
Love that advice on this trick. Going to try some when I punch out for lunch. I've landed a regular f/s flip once. I'm thinking my fatal flaw is the way I immediately go for the flick. I have them pretty good switch, because I think in general, that non dominant foot moves slower to flick. For example, switch heels and switch flips "float" as when I do them regular, it's a snap and quick catch.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 05:22:10 PM »
Have these somewhat consistent after years of trying. I try to wind up counter to the frontside turn. Bend down to pop and start unwinding. Time the pop with the midway point of the unwind (try to practice keeping the unwind uninterrupted) and do a solid kf (off to the side more than a usual kf since the front side scoop will counter this). If you time the unwind with the pop, the momentum usually carries me 90 degrees or more. Pivot to land straight although a faster/snappier unwind will help you start to get it all the way around. And most importantly, keep doing backside flips or you'll completely start rocketing and missing the pop on those like me after i learned fs flips.

Hope that makes some sense and helps a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdhvHjXMtGc
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:35:27 PM by camel filters »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 07:49:48 PM »
When you guys pop/scoop, which direction do you pop in? If I'm regular and facing the direction I'm rolling, is it 12 oclock,  in the direction I'm rolling or is it more 3 oclock, the way my toe is facing?

And how do you keep them level, I don't muska it, but I feel like I flick up way too much (might need to mob more but my leg just doesnt do that on this trick) and my nose ends up wayyy higher than the tail. I can land them like that but it looks weird and I hate jumping that high. Would take a chill, level one over a massive one anyday personally.

Space Monkey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 10:07:48 PM »
Anyone else have a much easier time with fakie fs flips? Not sure if it's a mental or physical thing, but regular fs flips just don't click for me- can do fakie all day though.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 10:58:02 PM »
This trick might haunt me forever. When I came back to skateboarding two years ago I told myself if I could just learn fs flips and 360 flips i'd be happy. Still haven't got either of them.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 01:26:09 AM »
This trick might haunt me forever. When I came back to skateboarding two years ago I told myself if I could just learn fs flips and 360 flips i'd be happy. Still haven't got either of them.

I used to have very consistent FS Flips, my kickflips were mobbed (still is), but I could do FS Flip both the Muska and Reynolds way way back. Been pretty shit with them over the past few months but I can muster one in about 10 tries.

I'll try them again this weekend in the name of this thread and return with my observations.

This may help with the latter:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113601.0
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Hombreezy

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 02:09:38 AM »
When you guys pop/scoop, which direction do you pop in? If I'm regular and facing the direction I'm rolling, is it 12 oclock,  in the direction I'm rolling or is it more 3 oclock, the way my toe is facing?

And how do you keep them level, I don't muska it, but I feel like I flick up way too much (might need to mob more but my leg just doesnt do that on this trick) and my nose ends up wayyy higher than the tail. I can land them like that but it looks weird and I hate jumping that high. Would take a chill, level one over a massive one anyday personally.
I scoop in the exact same way I do when I’m doing a really nice fs 180. Learning how to scoop all your 180 tricks is so beneficial for just about every other trick. Helps learn 360s, makes 180 flips easier, bigspins, etc.

I don’t get how people mob them. Your problem might be that you’re flicking up, rather than just picking your foot up 90 degrees before flicking off the corner of the board. Always ends up leveled for me and easy to catch that way

Brguy

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 03:26:15 AM »
When I do them I keep everything parallel to the board, feet pointing to the front and looking straight down basically, that helps so I can do a proper kickflip that comes to my feet. I probably already have a decent amount of muscle memory for spinning though, when I learned it was basically doing kickflips and rotating slowly until eventually I got the whole spin, landing with the weight on the front foot helps a little I think, like a pivot but you don't actually has to do it, just the shift in aim helps to complete the twist.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 06:58:20 AM »
Any tips on how to keep the board under you ? Backside flips I don’t have the probably but frontside flips always go way out in front of me. I got fs 180s better than backside so idk why adding the flip fucks it all up.

Hombreezy

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 08:09:27 AM »
Any tips on how to keep the board under you ? Backside flips I don’t have the probably but frontside flips always go way out in front of me. I got fs 180s better than backside so idk why adding the flip fucks it all up.
Make sure your front foot is comfortable and not much is hanging off the board. Front foot could be too high or too low on the board as well.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 10:36:35 PM »
Spent some time last weekend working on them and my 1 takeaway was your front foot should trace the movement of the 180 and at around the 60 degree mark flick your toe. Slight scoop, too much and you'll end up with a Muska flip. Focus on jumping upwards and in the direction of the 180. I suck at explaining this trick, I learned it as a kid but never understood it conceptually more than a FS 180 with a kickflip in between.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 06:24:15 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 10:58:39 AM »
I liked Brad Cromer's mini-trick-tip in his heckride interview https://heckride.com/f/brad-cromer

People have asked me in person how to Frontside Flip all the time and this is how I explain it. So, I think of my front arm (For me it’s my left arm) as a seatbelt. My left arm goes across me diagonally, so you bend down with your arm like that, as you’re going up and popping, you’re opening your arms. The momentum of your arms swinging brings you around at least to 90 degrees and then you close your arms which will bring you the rest of the way around. That’s really it, at least that’s the way I picture it in my head and it makes sense to me.

It's Brad Cromer so you also have to be really spry and explosive to do it like him, but my shitty ones do benefit from thinking about my shoulders

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 05:23:25 PM »
I liked Brad Cromer's mini-trick-tip in his heckride interview https://heckride.com/f/brad-cromer

Expand Quote
People have asked me in person how to Frontside Flip all the time and this is how I explain it. So, I think of my front arm (For me it’s my left arm) as a seatbelt. My left arm goes across me diagonally, so you bend down with your arm like that, as you’re going up and popping, you’re opening your arms. The momentum of your arms swinging brings you around at least to 90 degrees and then you close your arms which will bring you the rest of the way around. That’s really it, at least that’s the way I picture it in my head and it makes sense to me.
[close]

It's Brad Cromer so you also have to be really spry and explosive to do it like him, but my shitty ones do benefit from thinking about my shoulders

I see what he's saying.
You can peep it at 1:53 in this
https://youtu.be/Kkzv-nsDVi8?t=113

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2021, 03:17:55 AM »
assuming one is capable and controlled with kickflips and 18os, i would pretty much just echo the flick later suggestions. i learnt it thinking of it as a 18o and a kickflip, rather than a kickflip and 18o if you know what i mean - that was the change in thought processing it for me anyway.

i can fs flip pretty much every go at the moment and they feel cool but i feel like the pivot could be lesser, not that they're rotating from 9o degrees - more like 16o-17o degrees, so fully rotated and i know you obviously are going to land on those wheels first somewhat even if you go 18o for real - i don't know it's hard to explain - i just see some people land them micro flatter and i can't do it like that.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2021, 05:27:36 AM »
I tried a few last session but I just awkwardly kicked my board away every time.

When I slow mo certain people doing them their shoulders are almost completely open by the time they pop or as they pop. Next session i'll try swinging my arm/shoulders around more aggresively and see if that helps.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2021, 11:21:47 PM »
I'm gonna learn these the little kid way.....back toe on the corner, front foot......vertical....

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 12:22:01 AM »
I tried a few last session but I just awkwardly kicked my board away every time.

When I slow mo certain people doing them their shoulders are almost completely open by the time they pop or as they pop. Next session i'll try swinging my arm/shoulders around more aggresively and see if that helps.

I think you're on to something here, FS Flips feel like it's all in swinging of the arms and shoulders open, that motion gets the board and body moving in the 180 direction, coupled with a flick at the right timing. Feels very different from a BS Flip which feels like a scoop and pressure-release trick.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 12:58:49 AM »

Bro honestly my ankles smoked and it hurts to push but I still got them, it’s not even an ollie, if you do it that way try catch it 90 I feel like you sometimes struggle on the revert and roll your ankle that way
Like others said it’s deadset a scoop but frontside and idk it just works like it’s so fast how it comes around and you’re catching it with your now back foot you don’t need to stomp the tail mad hard. For reference 360 flip and big spins I feel like I kick way harder. Not with fronts bigs though. It’s gotta be that frontside scoop bro

Try em going a push or two faster than you would, just try get the back foot on and see what happens mate

Edit

I had a think while my roast cooks and yeah I feel like my shoulders would be exactly how you said
Honestly it comes around so quick and it still pops
I swear they’re not pressure man
It’s raining but I will try post one here after work tomorrow to help out
There’d be heaps of diff ways to do tricks hey
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 02:41:05 AM by matty_c »
listen to cosmic psychos

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 04:10:25 AM »
keep the front foot at a 45 degree angle, it's much easier to make the board go frontside with your body because you flick to the side more. when i was first learning them i had my front foot almost parallel with the board lengthwise
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate