Author Topic: fs flips  (Read 237 times)

d1zzie

• Rep: 0
fs flips
« on: February 22, 2021, 02:44:31 PM »
i suck at these. i've even landed a couple of them, but i still can't get them to flip even somewhat consistently at all. it's almost luck when i landed them it seems like. i've heard that foot positioning varies a lot from person to person, so i've also been try to move my feet around to no avail. is it one of those tricks you just gotta keep doing over and over? probably but if you got any tips it'd be cool.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 29
  • Please send symmetrical board information
Re: fs flips
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 06:07:31 AM »
i suck at these. i've even landed a couple of them, but i still can't get them to flip even somewhat consistently at all. it's almost luck when i landed them it seems like. i've heard that foot positioning varies a lot from person to person, so i've also been try to move my feet around to no avail. is it one of those tricks you just gotta keep doing over and over? probably but if you got any tips it'd be cool.

Fs flips took me a long, long time to learn actively trying them compared to bs flips which came naturally one day. I usually try to keep my foot right before the bolts or just barely touching them, my shoulders straight so I can unwind them to make the rotation and while i've started rotating I try to make sure I flick upwards so my board doesn't roll off the ground. If you have a video of some attempts it might help to see where you're struggling

Hombreezy

• Rep: -55
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 08:48:37 AM »
The secret for good fs flips is picking your front foot straight up in the air as you pop, then get a quick but controlled flick. Most people instantly try to flick as soon they start the pop and 180, which can work, but itís harder. Also scoop the tail (not a tre flip scoop. Itís a controlled fs 180 scoop) straight forward under you. Of course whip the shoulders around and donít throw your shoulders off when you flick or jump, this will mess everything up.

The beginning about picking up the front foot first THEN flicking is the most important part in my opinion.

Kooky_Monster

• Rep: 10
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 09:42:52 AM »
The secret for good fs flips is picking your front foot straight up in the air as you pop, then get a quick but controlled flick. Most people instantly try to flick as soon they start the pop and 180, which can work, but itís harder. Also scoop the tail (not a tre flip scoop. Itís a controlled fs 180 scoop) straight forward under you. Of course whip the shoulders around and donít throw your shoulders off when you flick or jump, this will mess everything up.

The beginning about picking up the front foot first THEN flicking is the most important part in my opinion.
Love that advice on this trick. Going to try some when I punch out for lunch. I've landed a regular f/s flip once. I'm thinking my fatal flaw is the way I immediately go for the flick. I have them pretty good switch, because I think in general, that non dominant foot moves slower to flick. For example, switch heels and switch flips "float" as when I do them regular, it's a snap and quick catch.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 05:22:10 PM »
Have these somewhat consistent after years of trying. I try to wind up counter to the frontside turn. Bend down to pop and start unwinding. Time the pop with the midway point of the unwind (try to practice keeping the unwind uninterrupted) and do a solid kf (off to the side more than a usual kf since the front side scoop will counter this). If you time the unwind with the pop, the momentum usually carries me 90 degrees or more. Pivot to land straight although a faster/snappier unwind will help you start to get it all the way around. And most importantly, keep doing backside flips or you'll completely start rocketing and missing the pop on those like me after i learned fs flips.

Hope that makes some sense and helps a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdhvHjXMtGc
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:35:27 PM by camel filters »

I wish I didn't have to look at your sig in every thread tbh. That shit is annoying and usually so are your posts.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 07:49:48 PM »
When you guys pop/scoop, which direction do you pop in? If I'm regular and facing the direction I'm rolling, is it 12 oclock,  in the direction I'm rolling or is it more 3 oclock, the way my toe is facing?

And how do you keep them level, I don't muska it, but I feel like I flick up way too much (might need to mob more but my leg just doesnt do that on this trick) and my nose ends up wayyy higher than the tail. I can land them like that but it looks weird and I hate jumping that high. Would take a chill, level one over a massive one anyday personally.

Porkchop Sandwiches

• Rep: 21
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 10:07:48 PM »
Anyone else have a much easier time with fakie fs flips? Not sure if it's a mental or physical thing, but regular fs flips just don't click for me- can do fakie all day though.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 10:58:02 PM »
This trick might haunt me forever. When I came back to skateboarding two years ago I told myself if I could just learn fs flips and 360 flips i'd be happy. Still haven't got either of them.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 486
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 01:26:09 AM »
This trick might haunt me forever. When I came back to skateboarding two years ago I told myself if I could just learn fs flips and 360 flips i'd be happy. Still haven't got either of them.

I used to have very consistent FS Flips, my kickflips were mobbed (still is), but I could do FS Flip both the Muska and Reynolds way way back. Been pretty shit with them over the past few months but I can muster one in about 10 tries.

I'll try them again this weekend in the name of this thread and return with my observations.

This may help with the latter:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113601.0
Did any of you guys ever notice that if you took off the end "er" from his name, moved the "b" to after the "i" and then added an "l" to the "b" that you just moved, you'd spell "Bible"?

Hombreezy

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 02:09:38 AM »
When you guys pop/scoop, which direction do you pop in? If I'm regular and facing the direction I'm rolling, is it 12 oclock,  in the direction I'm rolling or is it more 3 oclock, the way my toe is facing?

And how do you keep them level, I don't muska it, but I feel like I flick up way too much (might need to mob more but my leg just doesnt do that on this trick) and my nose ends up wayyy higher than the tail. I can land them like that but it looks weird and I hate jumping that high. Would take a chill, level one over a massive one anyday personally.
I scoop in the exact same way I do when Iím doing a really nice fs 180. Learning how to scoop all your 180 tricks is so beneficial for just about every other trick. Helps learn 360s, makes 180 flips easier, bigspins, etc.

I donít get how people mob them. Your problem might be that youíre flicking up, rather than just picking your foot up 90 degrees before flicking off the corner of the board. Always ends up leveled for me and easy to catch that way

Brguy

• Rep: -56
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 03:26:15 AM »
When I do them I keep everything parallel to the board, feet pointing to the front and looking straight down basically, that helps so I can do a proper kickflip that comes to my feet. I probably already have a decent amount of muscle memory for spinning though, when I learned it was basically doing kickflips and rotating slowly until eventually I got the whole spin, landing with the weight on the front foot helps a little I think, like a pivot but you don't actually has to do it, just the shift in aim helps to complete the twist.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 06:58:20 AM »
Any tips on how to keep the board under you ? Backside flips I donít have the probably but frontside flips always go way out in front of me. I got fs 180s better than backside so idk why adding the flip fucks it all up.

Hombreezy

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 08:09:27 AM »
Any tips on how to keep the board under you ? Backside flips I donít have the probably but frontside flips always go way out in front of me. I got fs 180s better than backside so idk why adding the flip fucks it all up.
Make sure your front foot is comfortable and not much is hanging off the board. Front foot could be too high or too low on the board as well.