Author Topic: Weird Stories About Pros  (Read 75240 times)

Underground City

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Weird Stories About Pros
« on: February 24, 2021, 07:38:39 AM »
I remember back in the day we were hiking to a ditch out in the brush somewhere and we were crossing a bridge when David Loy, for no reason at all, went to the edge and dangled himself off of it. One tiny wrong movement and he would have died, it was like a hundred foot drop. Then we just continued like it was nothing and no one ever mentioned it again. Weird as fuck. This was sometime around 2005 I think. Who else has stories about stuff like this?

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
Re: Weird Stories About Pros
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 09:20:45 AM »
I went to Barcelona in ‘06 or ‘07, and after a big night on the town, must have been about 4am, I saw Tom Penny alone not too far away. Dude seemed to be wandering aimlessly around town with giant wide-open eyes and his mouth dangling open just looking at stuff that didn’t seem to be there and talking to himself. Dude was fucking tripping HARD and it was kinda sad to see.

Met a guy at Parallel the following day who told us this was an almost daily thing for him. He was abusing mushrooms and acid a lot back then.

Nothing too strange, but that’s all I got.

Underground City

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 09:44:19 AM »
I went to Barcelona in ‘06 or ‘07, and after a big night on the town, must have been about 4am, I saw Tom Penny alone not too far away. Dude seemed to be wandering aimlessly around town with giant wide-open eyes and his mouth dangling open just looking at stuff that didn’t seem to be there and talking to himself. Dude was fucking tripping HARD and it was kinda sad to see.

Met a guy at Parallel the following day who told us this was an almost daily thing for him. He was abusing mushrooms and acid a lot back then.

That's wild. Kind of explains a lot too

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 10:02:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's wild. Kind of explains a lot too
There’s a lot of people who have a Tom Penny story very similar to mine. Barcelona-era Penny was something.

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 10:33:29 AM »
Auby Taylor came to orlando for a vert contest thing and fell in love with a 18 year old girl and lived here with her for a month until girl realized he was manipulative and crazy and he had a meltdown when she broke up with him...

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 10:36:27 AM »
Antonio Durao pulled up to the local once with smoke billowing outta his nice ass BMW, tore the double set a new asshole and at one point hit the bank to ledge and did a crazy looking crook nollie heel out. He goes outta sight behind some ledges and pulls up next to me on the coin bank riding a completely different board, like a 10 inch Santa Cruz cruiser and I go “yo that was amazing” he goes “I don’t even know what trick I just did but thanks” starts laughing, drops in and does the floatiest tre flip up the euro on this fucking tank of a board.

thebacker

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 10:48:40 AM »
Antonio Durao pulled up to the local once with smoke billowing outta his nice ass BMW, tore the double set a new asshole and at one point hit the bank to ledge and did a crazy looking crook nollie heel out. He goes outta sight behind some ledges and pulls up next to me on the coin bank riding a completely different board, like a 10 inch Santa Cruz cruiser and I go “yo that was amazing” he goes “I don’t even know what trick I just did but thanks” starts laughing, drops in and does the floatiest tre flip up the euro on this fucking tank of a board.
He pulled up to the philly house of vans one of the days and proceeded to ONLY do nollie back heels on the quarter pipe for about 20 minutes and then dipped. No warmup at all. Each one was done more wildly than the last but he always landed bolts.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 10:58:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
He pulled up to the philly house of vans one of the days and proceeded to ONLY do nollie back heels on the quarter pipe for about 20 minutes and then dipped. No warmup at all. Each one was done more wildly than the last but he always landed bolts.
Stories like this make legends.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 10:58:23 AM »
In 1987, when they did the skate camps here (each week, a list of different pros), my best bud's hero was Steve Caballero. We were 11 years old and only about 9 months into skateboarding. Anywho.. I believe it was around the 4th week of the camp and Cab was one of the pros. As soon as he got out of the car, my older friend Dave (13) was all "Cab, can you sign this kid's board", and he signed mine first. I thought that was neat. My best friend was up there every day to watch his hero slay the halfpipe. Well, his oldest sister (a big Cure/Siouxsie & the Banshees style girl. The 80's punk/goth look) apparently was also watching the pros. We had a few older "skate betties" here.

When Saturday rolled around, I had spent the previous night at my friend's house. We were in the kitchen eating leftover Domino's for breakfast and a car full of dudes showed up. Caballero (I want to say Lucero was there, but could be way off on that one, do not remember the rest) was in the car and they were picking up my boy's oldest sister and friend. Word around town is that she got Full Cab'ed that night. Me, being the horrible 11 year old friend that I was, could not stop asking my friend: "Dude, is that weird that your hero banged your sister?". He never actually answered me, so I took that as a "yes". Also, Cab gave me an Odd Man Out (his band after the Faction in the 80's) sticker, which I still have.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 10:59:13 AM »
Those Durao tales are magical. They read like Bill Murray anecdotes

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 11:05:12 AM »
Kenny hoyle gives a good fingering is what I’ve heard

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 11:23:26 AM »
Every time a thread like this happens I hope that somebody finds the video of David Loy crying and screaming because Lutzka won't let him on top of a bank.

Jurfin

• Rep: 5
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 11:26:16 AM »
Sean Malto was my best friend in 4th grade in Leavenworth KS. He was actually into rollerblades when I met him haha... We started skating together and he immediately surpassed me, even though I had been skating for a year or two before him. I remember the day he learned kickflips. Some older kid told him that next he should learn to heelflip. Sean didn’t know what it was and asked the guy to explain the heelflip. So he did, and no fucking joke he tried and immediately landed it. First fucking try. I should have known right then man...

We both had military parents and I moved away after a year in Leavenworth, but it’s been awesome to watch him progress so much over the years. I should try to catch up with him sometime. He’s probably a little too big to contact easily.

Underground City

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 11:53:18 AM »
Auby Taylor came to orlando for a vert contest thing and fell in love with a 18 year old girl and lived here with her for a month until girl realized he was manipulative and crazy and he had a meltdown when she broke up with him...
Based on what I've heard this doesn't surprise me unfortunately

Underground City

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 11:54:42 AM »
Incredible, I love it

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 11:57:08 AM »
I saw Dan Murphy without a hat once.

Underground City

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2021, 11:57:47 AM »
In 1987, when they did the skate camps here (each week, a list of different pros), my best bud's hero was Steve Caballero. We were 11 years old and only about 9 months into skateboarding. Anywho.. I believe it was around the 4th week of the camp and Cab was one of the pros. As soon as he got out of the car, my older friend Dave (13) was all "Cab, can you sign this kid's board", and he signed mine first. I thought that was neat. My best friend was up there every day to watch his hero slay the halfpipe. Well, his oldest sister (a big Cure/Siouxsie & the Banshees style girl. The 80's punk/goth look) apparently was also watching the pros. We had a few older "skate betties" here.

When Saturday rolled around, I had spent the previous night at my friend's house. We were in the kitchen eating leftover Domino's for breakfast and a car full of dudes showed up. Caballero (I want to say Lucero was there, but could be way off on that one, do not remember the rest) was in the car and they were picking up my boy's oldest sister and friend. Word around town is that she got Full Cab'ed that night. Me, being the horrible 11 year old friend that I was, could not stop asking my friend: "Dude, is that weird that your hero banged your sister?". He never actually answered me, so I took that as a "yes". Also, Cab gave me an Odd Man Out (his band after the Faction in the 80's) sticker, which I still have.
Cab's a nice guy, randomly met him at LAX and he seemed like the chillest dude

Underground City

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 12:04:03 PM »
Every time a thread like this happens I hope that somebody finds the video of David Loy crying and screaming because Lutzka won't let him on top of a bank.
I knew him when I was growing up. Never seen that video but what you described is him in a nutshell.

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 12:13:21 PM »
I saw Puleo at a park not being weird at all, which was weird.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2021, 12:25:41 PM »

I was legit shocked by how tiny he was when I met him. I mean I could literally throw him.

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2021, 12:28:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was legit shocked by how tiny he was when I met him. I mean I could literally throw him.

He was skating a funbox on the other side of the park, so I was never close enough to get a real idea for his size. But most pros I met are shockingly small. Makes sense, I guess. I'm 6'1" and suck.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 12:30:46 PM »
This is more of the "interesting stories about pros" thread.

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2021, 12:31:31 PM »

I wonder what the skate Betty's  that got mctwisted/airwalked/full cabbed in the 80s are doing today.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2021, 12:36:34 PM »

What's the opposite of micro-dosing? I guess he was maxi-dosing.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2021, 12:36:41 PM »
I know 2 that are doing pretty well. One is a marketing advisor for a huge company and the other also has a nice job / family / still follows skating!

Pretty Serious

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2021, 12:43:57 PM »
I remember back in the day we were hiking to a ditch out in the brush somewhere and we were crossing a bridge when David Loy, for no reason at all, went to the edge and dangled himself off of it. One tiny wrong movement and he would have I stomped on his hands, then peeled each finger off the ledge one by one. It was like a hundred foot drop. Then we just continued like it was nothing and no one ever mentioned it again. Weird as fuck. This was sometime around 2005 I think. Who else has stories about stuff like this?
Now that's a weird story.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2021, 12:54:22 PM »

I hope she was 18

FOGDOG

• Rep: 10
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2021, 01:13:43 PM »

I watched Dan Murphy get knocked the fuck out at a Mobb Deep show. It was amazing.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2021, 01:22:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I watched Dan Murphy get knocked the fuck out at a Mobb Deep show. It was amazing.

But was his hat still on?

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2021, 01:33:06 PM »
One time when I was visiting my girl at the time in New York, I could've sworn to god that I saw Aaron Suski at Laguardia.  I was 17 or 18 at the time and too scared to say hi.

Does anyone know what the ACTUAL deal with Pontus Alv is?  Like, did he get deported or something?  Just wondering how he ended up in a mansion in Portugal?  It's pretty clear that he kills it business-wise, with Polar soft goods selling like hot cakes, and now Last Resort AB.  I feel like there's a mystery behind it or something.