Author Topic: Weird Stories About Pros  (Read 75653 times)

Kombuch-A-Holic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
Re: Weird Stories About Pros
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2021, 06:38:38 AM »
Back in 2005 Paris Hilton’s phone was stolen and the contact list was leaked online. Not sure how I got it but sure enough Muska’s number is on there so being a childhood fanboy I cold called him... and dude picked up. We briefly chatted about skating in Arizona and then he told me to hit him up sometime if I’m in LA. Right.

Fast forward 2 years and I’m pretty damn day drunk and Muska’s number is still in my phone. I call him up and sure enough he’s in AZ at a strip club maybe 2 miles from my house and invited me out. I huffed it up to the strip climb expecting to get trolled but am instead met with peak party Muska maybe a few months before his TMZ meltdown. He had a crew with him and I got to hang out with them all night. He still had an Escalade, but I vaguely recall it being kinda shitty up close. Shared many party favors and got dropped off just after sunrise.

HAHA! I absolutely love this! And when you say you "huffed it" I picture a drunk dude trying to keep it together peddling a chromed out bmx huffy riding up to the strip club.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2021, 06:54:47 AM »
Back in 2005 Paris Hilton’s phone was stolen and the contact list was leaked online. Not sure how I got it but sure enough Muska’s number is on there so being a childhood fanboy I cold called him... and dude picked up. We briefly chatted about skating in Arizona and then he told me to hit him up sometime if I’m in LA. Right.

Fast forward 2 years and I’m pretty damn day drunk and Muska’s number is still in my phone. I call him up and sure enough he’s in AZ at a strip club maybe 2 miles from my house and invited me out. I huffed it up to the strip climb expecting to get trolled but am instead met with peak party Muska maybe a few months before his TMZ meltdown. He had a crew with him and I got to hang out with them all night. He still had an Escalade, but I vaguely recall it being kinda shitty up close. Shared many party favors and got dropped off just after sunrise.

Tell me he picked up the phone with “Muska!”
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2021, 06:57:01 AM »
heath standing amongst the kids unnoticed at a demo pretending hes a weird mid 30s man there by himself, when he should be skating in that demo, is the most heath shit ive ever heard/seen.

free max b

seriously.  so good haha i wish he was looking at me but still funny
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

HiddenGems

• Rep: 2
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2021, 06:59:40 AM »
Got to party with Fred gall at at a big amateur contest in 2010 with a few buddies one that is no longer with us anymore (r.I.p.) don’t want to name the contest or state so I don’t get shit from anyone on here who may know me because it got pretty out of hand but it was as gnarly as you could expect possibly more. I literally thought I was going to die for about 5 days after.

Also same weekend was chopping it up with Erik Ellington having a cool conversation when Aaron pearcy rolls up and tries to fight me saying not to talk to pros like that. Ellington put him in his place and continued our conversation. Super nice dude.

krookedjuice

• Rep: 31
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2021, 07:09:19 AM »
Not really weird, but funny and memorable - Was in the shop once and Jake Johnson was looking through a thrasher and the Jimmy Carlin hardflip at love park was a ricta ad, he tapped me on the shoulder and said "why would you use this for ricta" that's all that was said.

another time i was at the skatepark and Evan Smith rolled up, completely faded with some chick. rolled into the pool did like 3 runs and then left. i think only me and my homie knew who it was. (a lot of bmxers and young kids used to be at that park)

Mosritemike

• Rep: 9
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2021, 07:33:56 AM »
Grew up in Hamilton where a young Appleyard cut his teeth. Saw him a bunch until he peaced out on Ontario... one memory was him missing a Benihana fly out from the bowl and scuffing his white DVS and yelling “my shoessssssss”

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2021, 07:50:38 AM »
saw sammy baptista shadowbox and repeatedly flip off a toilet door, because he was denied going in to hit the slopes.

nickpaolucci

« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2021, 08:31:15 AM »
I was at KTR (Jagger Eaton’s family’s indoor park) like 8 ish years ago. Jagger was there practicing with his skate coach. He was learning a trick down a 5 stair and the coach would throw a gymnastics pad whenever he would bail. Tony Hawk loop style. That’s how champs are made, I guess.

Later on that day, I was just skating around and did a wallie to manny on knee high box with an angled front. He goes behind me and tries the same trick, bails, then sprints back to try it again and again. Lil jagger ass bitch can’t hang. Maybe I should be the one on the Olympic team. Sign me up

that's not like jagger. take it back, you are a liar

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2021, 08:41:57 AM »

thata some wholesome fucking rad shit

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2021, 09:35:07 AM »
Okay here is a good one. My mom happens to know Smolik so that was who she sent me around with to show me San Diego and skate. This was like 2014. He took me to this schoolyard and had a dude bring a generator and lights, the whole deal just to skate a basic ledge. He did some tailslides and whatnot, nothing too crazy but it was still tight to skate with him. We go to this bar afterwards and on the way he makes us do an emergency stop out of nowhere, runs into this head shop and come back 5 minutes later with a whip it setup and a buncha the cartridges or whatever. He goes on to tell us the dude that works there is a mega fan and he can just go in and get pretty much whatever he wants for free. Pretty funny cause I felt bad for the dude just imagining his manager being like 'What happened to the whip it inventory?' 'Oh Peter Smolik came in and I just had to give it all to him for free'. We ended up playing some pool at Champs and B Turner showed up. The drunker Smolik got he started like trying to get me to hit on Brandon's girl lol. It was super awkward. Very interesting day on my weeklong California trip
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2021, 10:32:49 AM »
Okay here is a good one. My mom happens to know Smolik so that was who she sent me around with to show me San Diego and skate. This was like 2014. He took me to this schoolyard and had a dude bring a generator and lights, the whole deal just to skate a basic ledge. He did some tailslides and whatnot, nothing too crazy but it was still tight to skate with him. We go to this bar afterwards and on the way he makes us do an emergency stop out of nowhere, runs into this head shop and come back 5 minutes later with a whip it setup and a buncha the cartridges or whatever. He goes on to tell us the dude that works there is a mega fan and he can just go in and get pretty much whatever he wants for free. Pretty funny cause I felt bad for the dude just imagining his manager being like 'What happened to the whip it inventory?' 'Oh Peter Smolik came in and I just had to give it all to him for free'. We ended up playing some pool at Champs and B Turner showed up. The drunker Smolik got he started like trying to get me to hit on Brandon's girl lol. It was super awkward. Very interesting day on my weeklong California trip

I'm confused. At what age is it acceptable for your mom to send you skating with someone she knows on a family trip, but you're also old enough to go to the bar?

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2021, 10:33:41 AM »
I was riding my bike early one Sunday morning to my local coffee spot. I see some guy rolling down the sidewalk. eS Accels, cargo pants, eS shirt and toque. Ninety Nine percent sure it was Tom Asta. I've never really followed him much so he's not the type of guy I'd say what up to. No idea what he was up to in Toronto on a Sunday morning. My only assumption is he was in town to hang out with Wade Desarmo, but even that might be a stretch. I don't think there were any demos going on.

conqueso

« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2021, 10:40:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm confused. At what age is it acceptable for your mom to send you skating with someone she knows on a family trip, but you're also old enough to go to the bar?

smolik smashing his mom for sure

victorP

« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2021, 10:41:11 AM »
I guess this isn't so much weird as cool. My only experience ever meeting a pro was when I was in Madison, WI drunk as a skunk, lost my phone after a Devin the Dude concert. Walking up and down State Street. I had also lost my friend who I'd gone to the show with and whose place I had planned to crash at.

Stopping in a small diner on State Street I recognized who I thought was Tyrone Olsen (from Madison like Dave Mayhew, Aaron Snyder) sitting and chatting over coffee with a big group of friends.

Being the drunk kook that was back then just barged in, confirmed who he was, proceeded to effusively praise his Evol Stil Life part and then just kind of hung out listening to his crew bs and trade stories on that Friday or Saturday night or whatever it was.

I ended up crashing at a Motel and never found my friend until the next day but it was really cool to meet someone I had looked up to and studied so much footage from, and see that dude was a real down to earth person. Tyrone wherever ya are... sorry about crashing your group of homies and thanks for talking the time to talk to a fan and bum a cig.

PS: He also told me something hilarious (in retrospect) about Hosoi's airport infamous bust that involves LSD.. but I don't think I'm at liberty to go there.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2021, 11:07:24 AM »
I guess this isn't so much weird as cool. My only experience ever meeting a pro was when I was in Madison, WI drunk as a skunk, lost my phone after a Devin the Dude concert. Walking up and down State Street. I had also lost my friend who I'd gone to the show with and whose place I had planned to crash at.

Stopping in a small diner on State Street I recognized who I thought was Tyrone Olsen (from Madison like Dave Mayhew, Aaron Snyder) sitting and chatting over coffee with a big group of friends.

Being the drunk kook that was back then just barged in, confirmed who he was, proceeded to effusively praise his Evol Stil Life part and then just kind of hung out listening to his crew bs and trade stories on that Friday or Saturday night or whatever it was.

I ended up crashing at a Motel and never found my friend until the next day but it was really cool to meet someone I had looked up to and studied so much footage from, and see that dude was a real down to earth person. Tyrone wherever ya are... sorry about crashing your group of homies and thanks for talking the time to talk to a fan and bum a cig.

PS: He also told me something hilarious (in retrospect) about Hosoi's airport infamous bust that involves LSD.. but I don't think I'm at liberty to go there.

Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2021, 11:17:49 AM »

U R

Neil

• Rep: 13
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2021, 11:29:44 AM »
You guys all have insane stories. These aren't as good:

1. Met Dustin Dollin at my spot when he just came to the US. I had no idea who he was. He must have been on Stereo at the time and sold me a Danny Gonzalez Stereo 7.5" deck for $20. I remember he kept begging for more money from me "for food." I only had the $20 on me but he was relentless. I wasn't overly amazed by his skills but it was clear he had something extra just dicking around at the spot. I think he did a kickflip bs noseslide on a steep wall which no one did or has done since.

2. A family member of mine dated Brian Emmers. This was waaaay after his skate career and he was working at a sock company in SD and working with Aaron Snyder on Land Bolts hardware. I grew up on Evol's Still Life so I fanned out for sure. He was coming to terms with his Chrome Ball Incident interview and about answering all the loaded questions.

3. I've run into Dill a few times over 20 years. Once to buy a '23' deck at the HB Skate Park, once at Chet Thomas's Aftermath skate shop where he was cool as hell, and finally most recently in Ventura where he was wandering around on foot like a tweaked out tourist with a camera taking pictures of everything (Ventura is boring, not sure what he was so excited about).

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2021, 11:42:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

smolik smashing his mom for sure
Hahaha I was a very fresh 21 with no driver license and it wasn't a family trip, my mom lived in SD and I was just visiting for the first time. She had work or something so she pawned me off on someone else for the day and I ended up getting babysat by/babysitting Smolik
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2021, 12:22:29 PM »
Got to party with Fred gall at at a big amateur contest in 2010 with a few buddies one that is no longer with us anymore (r.I.p.) don’t want to name the contest or state so I don’t get shit from anyone on here who may know me because it got pretty out of hand but it was as gnarly as you could expect possibly more. I literally thought I was going to die for about 5 days after.

Also same weekend was chopping it up with Erik Ellington having a cool conversation when Aaron pearcy rolls up and tries to fight me saying not to talk to pros like that. Ellington put him in his place and continued our conversation. Super nice dude.

Feels like I kinda heard this story in passing once but don’t recall many of the details... or Fred just shows up at every party out west.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2021, 12:40:46 PM »
2014? You don't say...

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2021, 12:46:46 PM »

Should've fanned out over his Nollie hardflip 5050 front shuv out from the Shortys Hardware video.  NBD to this day I bet

nickpaolucci

« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2021, 01:12:55 PM »

Underground City

• Rep: 6
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2021, 01:25:21 PM »

This is exactly the type of story I hoped for when I started this thread. Thank you

Underground City

« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2021, 01:31:28 PM »
I guess I'll be the fuckin nerd to follow up that story.

Met Adrian Lopez at a bar in PB about 10 years back. Mad cool but I was chatting him up about how gnarly his back tails were and he proceeds to say that before he retires he wants to "do the biggest back tail ever done". Kooky but respectable.

Last year I was with my son at a playground in south orange county, cookie cutter type shit. I'm sitting there and this dude and his two kids roll up from far away and I'm like, hmm that dude kinda looks like he skates. He gets closer and I'm like, jesus fucking Christ that's Geoff Rowley. I'm staring and give him this huge nod. He looks at my shoes and does the same.

Had probably the most pinnacle convo with any human ever that day. Chatted about Lennon, Flip, Penny, raising kids, future prospects (this was before free dome) all that shit. His passion for skating and life pours out when we were shooting the shit, so much more respect for him even tho it was always high.

Anyway, were talking for a while and he looks back and does the classic tunnel vision/frantically scanning the park for your kid look then realizes his son isn't there. We then both proceed to walk around the park calling his name but it quickly gets more serious when he doesnt show up after about 30 seconds (which is a lifetime btw when you looking for your child). Search widens to the surrounding field, I'm looking in this little ravine, shit is getting crazy. Hes all the way across the park and looks at me with this super worried face I'll never forget, sort of asking if I've seen him look. I shake my head no.

Turns out he was literally right next to us in this lil play tunnel on the playground just doing his thing. Never forget being in the moment and thinking, I'm at a playground searching for Rowley's possibly abducted/lost child. Pretty weird I guess?
Absolutely incredible. I love it. I met Rowley back in the early 2000's when he lived up the street from a friend of mine in Huntington Beach. Him and Arto gave us a pile of stickers one time and Bastien was there too. Ran into them again later that night at the Vans park at the Block, I was so starstruck the whole time

Underground City

« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2021, 01:37:30 PM »
Not mine and not too weird.

But, after the peak of Brian Sumner’s career he was doing (might still be) some missionary type skate shit.

My friend Jared was as well. He was apart of their crew. Them and our friend Ben are all hanging out chatting. And Ben is a big dude. Like 250 and only skated occasionally but the homie nonetheless. He starts telling jared how he ollied this 3 stair which was a big accomplishment for him. And Sumner turns to Ben and in that British accent just deadpan asks “Up it or down it?”

My crew still uses that like for a little laugh while doing it in the brit accent.

Also got to witness Chet Childress pass out on the floor of his own art show at Push Skateshop in Asheville, NC.

And got a ride in Dan Murphy’s “Das Proof” decal minivan to a club one night in Raleigh.
I love the bit about the inside joke, my friends and I have lots of stuff like this too

ballintoohard

« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2021, 01:51:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tell me he picked up the phone with “Muska!”

Close, it was "The Muska". Made 13 year old me so happy.

I had this habit of running places when I was drunk in college because I never wanted to spend money on a cab and things are always in a few miles and you really don't notice how much running sucks when you're drunk. Unfortunately 95% of the time I would throw up upon arrival so I used to take those little hotel bottles of mouth wash with me on my jaunts so that I could arrive empty, but clean.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -331
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2021, 02:18:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

HAHA! I absolutely love this! And when you say you "huffed it" I picture a drunk dude trying to keep it together peddling a chromed out bmx huffy riding up to the strip club.

Fuck it might as well go...
Dueces Bitch's

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2021, 02:49:52 PM »
Spoiler: the pro never shows up.

Early 90’s I was living in Atlanta. I had a buddy who was getting New Deal flow. Or maybe only Andy Howell pity boards here and there. Not sure. So one night we’re heading to the city to skate and my buddy says we’re stopping by Andy’s apartment. I’m stoked. I was fully on board with what Andy was doing; trying to draw like him, skating ND boards, wearing ND shirts, fucking loved that shit. So we get to the building and my buddy has the codes and keys to get in. This is legit. So we end up going in his apartment and nobody’s there. Just a few teenagers in this dude’s luxury apartment like we’re supposed to be there. I remember a hot tub in the living room and a little art studio set up with computers (this is before everybody had a computer, it was still a little weird to see them in houses) with some of his art out on the table and on the screen. I never wanted to steal something so bad. I didn’t. My buddy goes through a bunch of his shit and we leave. I don’t know if I was just involved in a robbery or if we were actually allowed and there for a reason. This buddy turned out to be a piece of shit a couple years later so it was probably something sketchy. I never did get to meet Andy Howell.

If you’re reading this, Andy, sorry for being a creep. It wasn’t my idea. I still feel weird about doing that shit decades later.

horny

• Rep: -28
  • Member of Simps Losers And Pussies
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2021, 04:35:28 PM »
Jordan hoffart crashed into me when I was pretty new to skating, and then gave me a used powell board. I didnt recognize him, and said something about the deck being a hoffart model, he introduced himself we chatted. Also bought weed from and smoked with Andy Anderson before he was on powell.
I'm going to fuck every single person on earth some day

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2021, 04:52:43 PM »
Jordan hoffart crashed into me when I was pretty new to skating, and then gave me a used powell board. I didnt recognize him, and said something about the deck being a hoffart model, he introduced himself we chatted. Also bought weed from and smoked with Andy Anderson before he was on powell.

The mental picture of && slanging weed makes me smile.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea