Author Topic: Taxes  (Read 374 times)

Gnarfunkell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
Taxes
« on: February 24, 2021, 11:04:29 AM »
A US-based pal here that's confused about taxes...  :)

So back in November I started a contracted gig, and that's all I've been doing for income. I got a 1099-NEC from the company, but I couldn't do my state taxes (Credit Karma) because I worked in another state for half of 2020.

I'm basically wondering if anyone on here is familiar with paying their taxes as a 1099 contracted worker (I'm just doing work they give me; don't have a business of my own). The online calculators I've used suggest I owe roughly $1000 in state taxes...  so do I just send the IRS a check?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
Re: Taxes
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 11:25:02 AM »
US system makes me vomit... Why the fuck would any one use that kind of system?

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 11:29:23 AM »
you might not be able to use a free tax prep software due to the dual state issue. this happened to me once and i had to use the paid version of whatever i was using, taxact? i can't remember. it was fucking annoying, i do remember that much.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 11:31:10 AM »
alternately, you can do what my dad did and not pay taxes for 10 years until your kid applies for financial aid in college and then your wife figures out that you've been fucking up all this time and makes you report yourself to the irs

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 11:47:23 AM »
you might not be able to use a free tax prep software due to the dual state issue. this happened to me once and i had to use the paid version of whatever i was using, taxact? i can't remember. it was fucking annoying, i do remember that much.

Yeah Credit Karma let me do my federal taxes, but not the state taxes due to the dual-state thing. I paid what I owe to the feds, but still need to pay my state taxes (my 1099 work is only in Florida, not a second state). I know I owe roughly $1000 on state taxes, but I mainly want to be able to get a more exact amount. I don't want to send them money, then worry that I overpaid or still owe like $200.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 04:16:51 PM »
Go to your state's website and see if there is any help there...

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/default.htm
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 05:28:24 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 05:23:33 PM »
I’m not sure how it works in us, but you’d assume it’s like this everywhere

You probably don’t need accountant, google something like 1099 deductions or even something like how to pay no tax 1099. It would be different from country to country but there’s always little loopholes

In Australia they changed the rule with receipts and they take bank statements for a lot of things now. This means when you get fuel make sure you get a pack of smokes and coffee and stuff cause it all just shows on your bank statements as ‘Caltex’ or whatever - you just wrote off breakfast and smokes, bro

That’s just an example, do some googling but you should be able to write off fuel, work related clothing and ppe, did you buy a phone or a laptop this financial year cause that’s deductible cause you need it for invoicing, and just on that - do you have a room or a space in your place set up as home office for paperwork? Cause you can claim on that, too

There shouldn’t be heaps of weird shit involved with your amounts, just google your taxable income and the brackets and see what you can do to lower it
All these expenses come off your taxable income if that makes sense?

listen to cosmic psychos

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 10:38:26 PM »
you're assuming the US is like everywhere? 

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 05:26:27 PM »
Well no, but I did google some shit before posting and all that shit I said 100% works in usa
listen to cosmic psychos

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 08:45:49 AM »
Go to your state's website and see if there is any help there...

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/default.htm

Thanks, I'll look into this more. My taxes have always been easy in the past because I had one job and just a W2, but I've bounced around a bit the past couple years, so all this 1099 stuff is uncharted territory for me.