Author Topic: Tricks you've lost?  (Read 1150 times)

in love w/ fs shuvs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
Tricks you've lost?
« on: February 25, 2021, 02:39:59 AM »
Here's to the jaded skaters on slap, what are some tricks you used to have on lock and lost for whatever reason? I used to have fs 360 no complies really good and would get mad compliments on how floated they were. Low-key lost fs shuvs cause i was busy with college, used to have em every try and fast af. Def trynna progress now that I don't have any fucking homework.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
Re: Tricks you've lost?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 04:06:46 AM »
Heelflips, I had regular ones on total lock when i was a teenager.

I came back to skating after a 15 year break and it's the one trick that I can't seem to get back properly... Landing them fakie is bolts most of the time but my regs ones are appalling, it's a battle to land one clean one yet alone have them dialled.

IDK if it's because I learnt kickflips finally and that messed them up, or because I skate wider boards now, or just because i pay so much more attention to body and foot position that i've just killed my prelearned way of doing them years ago before i knew about that stuff..but the days of heelflipping anything on command are definately over (for now).

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 10:04:06 AM »
Front blunt, front noseblunt, nollie noseslide, switch front tail.... have all deteriorated, to name a few  :-\

edit: noseblunts are back after practicing a bit, not super vertical but getting there again
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 09:34:08 PM by tzhangdox »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 10:06:31 AM »
I had a nice Muska flip in the mid 90s, it was my "signature trick" and I could do them consistently and high, stylish and even over/down stuff. Even had them on lock fakie. Took a 20 year hiatus and am not even close to stick one since I am back at it.

For comparison, the other good flip I had was a nicely caught kickflip. I got these back relatively quickly, even if they are not as consistent or clean as I want them to be (yet).

I had some other flips such as heelflips, varial flips, pressure flips but never on a level they looked really good so I don't consider them lost really.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 10:21:52 AM »
I learned hardflips one day in high school and had them consistent for the rest of the day, I haven't had them since

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Land of the Faust

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 11:58:09 AM »
I recently lost my 360 flip. I can still do it occasionally, but I definitely don't have it on lock anymore. I'm guessing it's due to age. I don't know what else it could be.

• Rep: -2
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 01:01:41 PM »
I lost most of my tricks recently. I can’t BS 5050, BS 5-0, BS board, FS 5-0, FS tails and the list goes on. I’m hesitant to take a break from skateboarding but what keeps me skating is that my close friends skate all the time and it’s what all of us do besides jamming out occasionally. I recently got into fixed gear bikes and it has got most of my attention and I’ve been doing long rides (100km+) once a week.

Maybe it’s also cuz I sprained my ankle a month back. Slammed on my face 2 years ago doing a back 5050. Idk, I’m starting to think skateboarding is over for me. I get bored when I skate and find it boring nowadays. My homies skate the same spot every session and there’s no other spot in where we live. I also get sleepy in sessions.

Any advice on what I should do? Or just man up and do the tricks I once got?

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 01:40:40 PM »
Back 5-0. Used to have them balanced on ledges. Now its a struggle even with tail drag.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 03:40:48 PM »
I learned hardflips one day in high school and had them consistent for the rest of the day, I haven't had them since

The day I learned hardflips I blew up my ankle and then 6 or whatever months later when I was back at 100% they were just completely gone. Like they'd never made sense. Still don't
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 03:47:01 PM »
Heelflips and backside flips, but maybe I'll get them back if I just bite the bullet and work hard at it.  Front and back nosegrinds; used to be able to do long, balanced ones both ways.  Salad grinds and bluntslides on rails.  As a teen I could just sit on back tails like a motherfucker on almost knee high ledges, but when I tried them last year on a curb I wound up doing an extremely frightening slip out belly flop slam.  Humiliating, especially for a man in his mid-30s. 

Any advice on what I should do? Or just man up and do the tricks I once got?

Find a curb and learn slappies on that shit.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 07:36:06 PM »
I've never had a big bag but there was a couple years where I had dolphin flips and fs heels on lock.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

primo

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 05:00:17 AM »
Heel flips. I didn’t skate for five years. After a month or two everything plus some new tricks came relatively easily but I have no idea what I’m doing wrong with heel flips now. I feel like I’m doing them the same as I used to but it’s just not happening.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 06:04:40 PM »
Got cleared to skate last week after 3 months healing a broken leg. Can't do consistent pop shuvs, and I can't land FS 180s unless I go at a fast speed which I don't want to do.

Really not happy about this but I'm sure I'll get them back eventually

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 06:59:45 PM »
Thats a long list..all my sessions seem to be trying to get a trick I used to have on lock back to being halfway consistent.

Lately it's been crooked grinds. Used to be so easy, now I only lock into 1 out of 5 the other 4 tries I lock into a nose slide or don't even get the board up. They came back last year but now they're gone again. Wish I knew what caused it so frustrating

Frank and Fred

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 08:29:25 PM »
Nollie flips.

And weirdly pop shuv its... I can still do them frontside and I can do them switch but I just can control a basic pop shuv anymore... used to do them at speed, down stuff, wherever, whenever. They are gone... they just end up flipping on me...

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 09:25:37 PM »
Switch flip,  nollie flip, nollie heel, halfcab flip the hard way, front side flip, bs smith on flat bars

I only do 4 flip tricks now

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 07:59:10 PM »
varial heel
fakie hardflip
b/s disaster
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 10:32:22 PM »
I feel personally attacked by this thread, my laundry list of lost tricks is way too long.

My flatground has always been shit but as a grom I had a serviceable heelflip, didn't work too much on it but I could bust one out in SKATE if I needed to. Even in the mid 2010s when I skated once 1-2 times a wear I could do rocket ones an inch off the ground. Today, I would need 30-50 tries to even come close to 1, could probably do 1 switch in 1/2 the number of tries if I hated myself enough. My friends know to put me out of my misery early in SKATE by doing all the heelflip variations.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 12:05:33 PM »
fakie 360 flips
fakie fs 50s
fakie hardflips

must skate more fakie ^^
IG: @flowterspace

sketchyrider

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2021, 01:17:44 PM »
front boardslides, i could do these when i was 10 years old for christ sake. been working on some dog shit ones lately, trying to make them longer and cleaner.

back 50-50s. this one is hard to admit. honestly not sure how to go about them.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2021, 01:52:03 PM »
front boardslides, i could do these when i was 10 years old for christ sake. been working on some dog shit ones lately, trying to make them longer and cleaner.

I literally just learned backside 50-50’s after 20 years of skating. seriously the hardest trick ever. I still can’t actually do them correctly on transition either.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2021, 09:34:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I literally just learned backside 50-50’s after 20 years of skating. seriously the hardest trick ever. I still can’t actually do them correctly on transition either.

For bs 50s on ledges, try to look forward where you wanna get on. Like don't ollie sideways, more forward. Jump ahead instead of to the side like you would for a fs 50.
Or try a bs feeble first and then you just have to figure out how to navigate that front truck while you are in the air.
If you are goofy footed, your ollie motion will

look like this / ---> I
instead of this - ---> I

Hope that made sense.

For bs 50s on (mini) transition. You lock later in than you would think, so that you really stand on top of the quarter.
Try to ride straight towards the coping, lift that front truck a bit up before you reach the coping and when your back truck hits the coping, turn 90 degree to get your front truck down and on that quarter. That is my method. My homie always does a little bs powerslide to get into them, but that scares the shit out of me.
IG: @flowterspace

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2021, 07:17:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

For bs 50s on ledges, try to look forward where you wanna get on. Like don't ollie sideways, more forward. Jump ahead instead of to the side like you would for a fs 50.
Or try a bs feeble first and then you just have to figure out how to navigate that front truck while you are in the air.
If you are goofy footed, your ollie motion will

look like this / ---> I
instead of this - ---> I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phGmF1l0X3I

Found this really helpful.

I focus on popping, dragging my front foot to guide the front truck (upwards and parallel with the ledge( onto the ledge before slapping my back truck on. Ollie slightly lower than you think you would since you can slap the truck on, instead of FS 50-50 where you can ollie up and stomp your truck on.

BS ledge tricks (for me) rely a lot more on having confidence and an active back foot to guide the back truck / body weight into the ledge, since you don't have line of sight with the ledge.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sketchyrider

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 05:32:09 AM »
thanks for the advice all, will def give it a try soon as it dries up outside.

fwiw i've got them on transition. for me it was a matter of swinging myself up to the deck, but then getting that front truck onto coping and keeping my shoulders parallel/leaning forward. if my shoulder points even slightly toward the deck, ill just roll off the coping.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2021, 09:56:28 AM »
List would be quite long if this was ten years ago but besides some stupid pressure and late flip stuff that were always very set-up dependent by definition, I've managed to get all of them back and then more. In general, basic logic is, if you've had a trick in you before then there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to replicate it (unless a downright technical one, e.g.. due to an injury, etc.), especially if you're older now and it was your seventeen-year-old self already doing it.

The obvious obstacle is finding enough spare time to physically condition yourself for skating again if you've been slipping for a while, but I think willpower can do wonders there (forget about looking for excuses; overweight due to slobbing it out? Then instead of whining about lacking pop and feeling heavy all day to everyone in the vicinity, ruining their sessions, if skating really is your number one priority, just take it upon yourself to learn to eat better and slim down) and also, maybe most importantly, not locking yourself in that mindset where you're now officially old and can't do anything but step hops and shuvs, sometimes a frontside slash and maybe a nosegrind - as that's just bound to kill your personal perspectives right off the bat. I've said it several times before but if that sounds just like the common approach in your circle of friends then approaching skating differently, maybe by skating solo more or occasionally with younger kids in energy overload mode might help one get out of that 'I'm old' mindset which, from my experience, seems dangerously contagious.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2021, 11:02:56 PM »
nollie 360 flips

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2021, 03:48:38 PM »
nollie 360 flips

I'm not gonna get too deep into it, but one thing that made them finally click for me after having to relearn them several times, was when I realized how important the flicking foot is. While a regular 360 flip can be done almost without the front foot, for a nollie one, I feel like it plays an integral part in getting the board to rotate and flip correctly. When struggling with them, I found that I was kicking or moving my foot away from the board too quickly, but when I let the board roll against my foot and then give it a proper flick, it would start working again.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2021, 08:15:20 PM »
jimgrude that makes so much sense
Sometimes you gotta pop first ay
I never had nollie tre but I got nollie 3 shove, used to be able to sw tre off shit. That’s the one I lost. My ankles pretty much constantly smoked these days but I wanna try it like you said on flatters
Fuck yeah
Cheers
listen to cosmic psychos