Author Topic: Heckride - Johnny Wilson  (Read 3998 times)

Monkey_Mcpott

Heckride - Johnny Wilson
« on: February 25, 2021, 11:19:54 AM »
Interviewed Johnny for Heckride. Super stoked on this one and hope you enjoy. Art by the amazing @doublesteveburger  :-*

https://heckride.com/f/johnny-wilson

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
Re: Heckride - Johnny Wilson
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 11:53:05 AM »
You're on a roll with those
Thanks for asking about Max's shin

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 12:02:59 PM »
These are awesome and look forward to every new one!

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 12:17:59 PM »
great read again, great questions. interviewees getting heavier all the time! awesome job again guys

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 12:25:45 PM »
keep these going thank you love it <3

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 12:59:23 PM »
great work as always. didn't know he was vegan gang :-) past few guests have been bangers
a bit of constructive criticism: i noticed quite a bit of typos, could be good to have someone proofread it <3

Yu Dum

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 01:12:57 PM »
Fantastic as always. Interesting to hear his take on the "Strobeck" filming style.
I tried looking for that Jenkem article, but no luck. Anyone know why they were bummed on it?

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 01:16:33 PM »
Fantastic as always. Interesting to hear his take on the "Strobeck" filming style.
I tried looking for that Jenkem article, but no luck. Anyone know why they were bummed on it?
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2017/10/17/world-917-video-built/

I think it's because kyle beachy described aidan in a mean way or something. It's just an older guy being a little critical of the video imo
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Yu Dum

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 01:24:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it's because kyle beachy described aidan in a mean way or something. It's just an older guy being a little critical of the video imo
Thanks, man. I don't know why but it wouldn't show up when I searched "917" on their website.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 01:32:56 PM »
great work as always. didn't know he was vegan gang :-) past few guests have been bangers
a bit of constructive criticism: i noticed quite a bit of typos, could be good to have someone proofread it <3

Thanks so much for pointing that out! Just realized I uploaded the first draft not the final. There is a small group of guys that help me proof read it. Just updated it!  :P

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 01:52:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks so much for pointing that out! Just realized I uploaded the first draft not the final. There is a small group of guys that help me proof read it. Just updated it!  :P

Link seems to be broken my guy. Both the one you posted, and from the home page.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 01:58:38 PM »
I'm not having a problem with the link.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 01:59:51 PM »
same as Ed. No issues with link

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 02:59:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
same as Ed. No issues with link

Same as Ed and Jay Nev, no issue with the link and same as Johnny Wilson no issue with Nik Stain's fast stylish skating. Same reason I like Huf in Skate More.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 03:00:03 PM »
Damn. My phone must be acting up. Worked on my computer.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 03:17:10 PM »
You're on a roll with those
Thanks for asking about Max's shin

I was also very interested to read that.  That clip gave me terrible anxiety, as someone who has split his shin open so bad the bone was visible, but didn't realize it had happened until pulling up a pant leg several moments later. Coda: a few months ago, I was at the park and this dude wearing shorts missed a 50-50 on a bump to ledge and hit his shin, opening a three inch split that left a fair amount of blood on the ground.  I was able to keep my cool so I could help him keep his cool, get the dude the spare clean shirt I had in my car to wrap around his leg, and advise him to get it squared at the quick care close by. 

Anyway, John's Vid was my favorite of last year, if for no reason other than giving us that long back tail by Cyrus (you know exactly which one I'm talking about).   

Grind King Rims

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 03:35:19 PM »
Good read! Looking forward to the Slap Pals interview! Thanks Monkey <3

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2021, 03:47:39 PM »
Heckride with another FUCKIN banger!

Loved the quip about jobs being a bigger thing on the east vs. the west. Explains why were all a bunch of lazy fucks out here trying to get a box.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 05:13:51 PM »
Loved it! Loved that you asked about the Nik Stain part from Skate Clip, because I'm sure a lot of people were wondering what the hell was going on with Nik only had 6 tricks in 917 2-2.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1371
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2021, 05:34:17 PM »
Heckride stays killing it. Can't wait to see who's next.

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2021, 05:44:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i think they were bummed on this “ Its predecessors are films by Johnny Wilson and Bill Strobeck, but Logan Lara’s voice is dreamier, sun-soaked and optimistic. but Logan appears to lack the impulse to exploit homelessness or make a puppet show of mental illness. ”

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2021, 05:44:44 PM »
I wish somebody would pay you for these, but let you keep doing it exactly how you want to
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2021, 06:30:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i think they were bummed on this “ Its predecessors are films by Johnny Wilson and Bill Strobeck, but Logan Lara’s voice is dreamier, sun-soaked and optimistic. but Logan appears to lack the impulse to exploit homelessness or make a puppet show of mental illness. ”
that whole article is/was pretty bad tbh. just super bad writing imo. downright bizzare tone where i'm not sure where the writer even stands after finishing reading other than that beachy probably thinks he's a literary genius or something.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2021, 06:53:28 PM »
Heckride stays killing it. Can't wait to see who's next.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • old and in the way
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 07:29:12 PM »

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2021, 07:55:32 PM »
i think i'm in love with him now? a vegan former chef that loves bikes and makes my favorite skate films? jesus

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2021, 08:12:49 PM »
sick interview.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
that whole article is/was pretty bad tbh. just super bad writing imo. downright bizzare tone where i'm not sure where the writer even stands after finishing reading other than that beachy probably thinks he's a literary genius or something.

Man kyle beachy rubs me the wrong way when he's in that mode... just like brazenly judgemental and wildly quick to assume someone's character and motivations, mixed with unbearable "i am very smart" kind of tone.

He did the same thing to Berra in this article. Like i dislike berra as much as the next guy but i hate anyone with the faux-academic piousness mixed with like, extremely damning and far-reaching character judgements even more. very bizaare and unrelatable to think you can attack anyone on such a deep level like that.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2012/06/12/a-very-large-puzzle-on-andrew-reynolds/

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2021, 08:17:58 PM »

Man kyle beachy rubs me the wrong way when he's in that mode... just like brazenly judgemental and wildly quick to assume someone's character and motivations, mixed with unbearable "i am very smart" kind of tone.

He did the same thing to Berra in this article. Like i dislike berra as much as the next guy but i hate anyone with the faux-academic piousness mixed with like, extremely damning and far-reaching character judgements even more. very bizaare and unrelatable to think you can attack anyone on such a deep level like that.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2012/06/12/a-very-large-puzzle-on-andrew-reynolds/
exactly. it's just plain weird to me. if it was funny and taking the piss, i'd see it different, but the tone seems to self serious. and it's just not funny no way you put it.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2021, 08:21:55 PM »
i think i'm in love with him now? a vegan former chef that loves bikes and makes my favorite skate films? jesus
he is a dashing gentleman, for sure

veritas

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2021, 08:26:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
exactly. it's just plain weird to me. if it was funny and taking the piss, i'd see it different, but the tone seems to self serious. and it's just not funny no way you put it.

That writing was terrible and I’m still not sure what the overall message of the article was