Author Topic: Quitting Smoking  (Read 2903 times)

89-90pistons

Quitting Smoking
« on: April 09, 2007, 01:13:38 PM »
I want to buy a new car, and I figured I could afford it if I quit smoking. Has anybody else quit and if so, what method did you use?

I'm too weak to quit cold turkey, I'll be the first to admit it.

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Quitting Smoking
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 01:21:08 PM »
it's fucking gnarly but I quit by starting dipping and then quit dipping.

i know it sounds like trading one vice for another and it is, but my thinking was that because dipping is so socially unacceptable it would be easier to quit.

think about it this way, if you were in a bar full of women would you dip? most likely wait till later.

if you are waiting for a bus, couldn't you most likely bum a smoke? sure. could you bum a dip? not likely...

anyway, it worked out for me, but might not work out so well for everyone.

otherwise, get a shit load of gum and trade out that way.

Peter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 01:25:13 PM »
Weren't some heads trying to prove that each cigarette takes away 16 minutes of your life? One cigarette is 16 minutes that you could be driving your new car or having a game of skate. That's a good way to motivate yourself to quit.

If not, go with sleazy's post. Gum seems to work.

jrock

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 01:32:08 PM »
this kid down the street from me dipped so much that he had to get a gum graft by his sophmore year in high school.  he started dipping again as soon as his gums healed.

b. joe

• Rep: 0
    • Beef Shrine avatar image
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 01:41:42 PM »
I'm trying to ween myself off by smoking less and less. I was at a pack a day, moved down to half a pack a day, now I'm trying to only smoke about 4-5 cigarettes a day. It's going pretty well, but it's easy to want to just say fuck it. If I quit, it's easily another $150 I can have in my pocket at the end of each month, so that's kind of my motivation.

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • reptiles
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 01:43:11 PM »
in my expirience nobody ever quits smoking. some people stop smoking but the cravings never fully go away. i just saw david sedaris and he said that apparently if you move to japan it's really easy to quit smoking because you can't smoke on the street at all.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 01:44:38 PM »
it's just as addictive but socially it easier to get away from especially if you don't live in the south.

when I did this was right before I moved from Louisiana to Australia. I knew that it would be damn near impossible to bum a dip in australia and figured it would make it way easier to quit, which it did.

think how much easier it would be not to dip if you went out drinking than it would be not to smoke? no one in any of the bars is likely to have a dip that you could bum and it won't be in your face all night.

89-90pistons

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 01:49:33 PM »
I was thinking along the lines of nicorette or the patch, I smoke over a pack a day and trying to slowly cut back won't work because I'm weak and will want more, I carry the "smoke em if you got em" attitude.

Has the gum or the patch worked for anyone or is it a waste of money, its cost around 50 bucks and I dont want to buy it if its garbage.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 01:51:48 PM »
this guy I knew used those and quit smoking but now he chews the shit out of that gum

89-90pistons

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 01:55:12 PM »
This is why addictions are so rad.

I'll take cancer over meth-mouth.

thanks for the help guys.

Wooderson

• Rep: -16
  • pearl rips
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 01:55:42 PM »
gum, just put like five pieces in your mouth every time you wanna smoke. you might get cavities but its better then getting cancer
You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

Derka Derk

• Rep: 9
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 02:42:12 PM »
the city i live in is scarcely populated with people who smoke, so you'll always end up smoking alone, which sucks.
so i cut back on cigs a day and finally i was so over it that i said fuck it i'll quit. next friday it was a year ago that i smoked my last cigarete. for me it was a matter of will and discipline. Unfortunately the craving remains.
by the way what's diping (i'm just a simple dutchie)

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • breathmint please
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 03:26:39 PM »
i started smokin cigs cause like diss kewl guy wuz doin it nd now i got more friends so why should i quit?
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"
Quote from: Matze
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • reptiles
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 03:56:46 PM »
i started smokin cigs cause like diss kewl guy wuz doin it nd now i got more friends so why should i quit?

i know you're being sarcastic but smoking is a great way to meet people and start up a conversation with a girl. you see she's heading for the porch for a smoke and boom so are you.

nice weather

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 533
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 04:04:05 PM »
What is "dipping"? Sorry if its a dumb question but I can't figure out what it means...

cheapthrillsof87

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 04:11:55 PM »
theres a new drug called chantix that works really well but its expensive as fuck. it takes away your cravings slowly and you just cut back without really realizing it. its expensive but cheaper than smoking in the long run.

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • breathmint please
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 04:13:07 PM »
What is "dipping"? Sorry if its a dumb question but I can't figure out what it means...

or

Expand Quote
[close]

i know you're being sarcastic but smoking is a great way to meet people and start up a conversation with a girl. you see she's heading for the porch for a smoke and boom so are you.

you can meet girls at justin timberlake concerts, doesnt mean im gonna go to them. i started going to tanning salons for the same thing, anything that gives u cancer is wicked sweet
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 06:58:41 PM by lophatrophazoa »
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"
Quote from: Matze
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

mikefork

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 05:17:26 PM »
chewing tobacco that sits in front of your teeth on the bottom half of the mouth

OttoMaddox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 06:07:56 PM »
Just fucking quit already, don't be a wimp.  The longer you go without a smoke, the easier it is.  All physical withdrawal symptoms are gone after 3 days.  Whatever you do, don't give in and have one.  That just prolongs the agony.  Eventually you will just forget about it, and wonder why you ever smoked in the first place.  Prepare to not want to be around smokers anymore. 

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • reptiles
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 08:40:22 PM »
you can meet girls at justin timberlake concerts, doesnt mean im gonna go to them. i started going to tanning salons for the same thing, anything that gives u cancer is wicked sweet

you won't meet cool smoking girls. i'm becoming more and more convinced anyway that there's little in this world that won't eventually give you cancer. you know most varieties of cherries are carcinogens? big cherry companies don't want you to know that.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 08:41:56 PM by CUDDLEMONSTER »

clash

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 08:49:46 PM »
Yeah well starting to think about quitting smoking but i'll keep to thinking about it for now...
I don't really want to quit, smoking is just too much fun, I reckon if I quit now I'll be smoking again
in 2 days cause I don't want to quit, and then it'll just be a waste of energy like my friend who quits about 15 times
a year.
Sort of cutting down anyway and it seems to be working so who knows.

The nicotine gum works pretty good, I got some for a 22 hour flight and it def. helped but yeah
you gotta live with not being able to smoke on there anyway, but didn't miss it much.

Claude

• Rep: 15
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 08:56:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you won't meet cool smoking girls. i'm becoming more and more convinced anyway that there's little in this world that won't eventually give you cancer. you know most varieties of cherries are carcinogens? big cherry companies don't want you to know that.

pretty much anyfood you eat that isnt organic is probably carcinogic due to all the pesticides used.

clash

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007, 09:41:02 PM »
oh and that dipping shit is so fucking nasty.... tried it once but damn that's foul
if a smokers mouth is like an ashtray a dipper's mouth gotta be like a compost pit or something

readsirensoftitan

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 10:20:53 PM »
There's no quitting, just pausing.   
never trust a man without sideburns

89-90pistons

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 10:27:50 PM »
Just fucking quit already, don't be a wimp.  The longer you go without a smoke, the easier it is.  All physical withdrawal symptoms are gone after 3 days.  Whatever you do, don't give in and have one.  That just prolongs the agony.  Eventually you will just forget about it, and wonder why you ever smoked in the first place.  Prepare to not want to be around smokers anymore. 
its going to be hard to be around anyone that doesn't smoke. My three roomates smoke, I work construction so there is constantly someone smoking out there.

On the Phillip Morris website they give you tips on how to stop, and one of them was to set a date for your last cigarette to mentally prepare yourself. AI pick april 29th. For my banger, I'm going to smoke an entire pack at once. I'm thinking I'm probably going to gag and vomit a little bit. With atht and the assistance of the gum, I'll never want a cigarette again.

I think i got this figured out.

clash

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2007, 11:43:15 PM »
I'm going to smoke an entire pack at once. I'm thinking I'm probably going to gag and vomit a little bit. With atht and the assistance of the gum, I'll never want a cigarette again.

I thought about that, let me know how it works out. It certainly works for booze, as in after drinking 2 bottles of ........ you can't even stand
the smell of it for a good while

OttoMaddox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 12:26:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
its going to be hard to be around anyone that doesn't smoke. My three roomates smoke, I work construction so there is constantly someone smoking out there.

On the Phillip Morris website they give you tips on how to stop, and one of them was to set a date for your last cigarette to mentally prepare yourself. AI pick april 29th. For my banger, I'm going to smoke an entire pack at once. I'm thinking I'm probably going to gag and vomit a little bit. With atht and the assistance of the gum, I'll never want a cigarette again.

I think i got this figured out.

Don't bother with the gum.  It will prolong the physical withdrawal.  Go cold turkey - get psyched on the fact that your body is cleaning itself out - you are becoming healthy.  Concentrate on a physical activity - for me it was cycling; you could run, swim, anything. Or just skate extra hard.  Stick to a schedule of exercise - you will be amazed at how fast you can get into excellent shape.

Setting a date is wise, but disregard most/all of what Philip Morris tells you regarding quitting.  Their advice is engineered to make you feel like you are trying to quit and not feel guilty about failing to do so, it is not designed to actually help you quit. 

It's a crazy struggle but not as bad as it is made out to be.  People say that it is real hard so that they can justify lighting up again.  Just think about making it through to the end of the day, each day and before you know it, months will have passed.  The most important thing to remember is that every time you put nicotine into your body you are strengthening the hold it has over you.  Break the cycle and it only gets easier as time goes by. 

Good luck.

89-90pistons

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 08:28:35 AM »
Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know how it works out.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 08:42:19 AM »
really suprised no one jumped on the "drink your own cum joke" here

haters are slipping

Peter Gibbons

• Rep: 5
  • Fuckin' A
    • EMB4ever avatar image
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 09:05:46 AM »
i had smoked for 8 years...then i quit cold turkey for the past 12 years until i hit a stoge while i was drinking with friends...now i've been 'casually smoking' for three days. when you quit, don't look back. now i gotta re-quit again.

FT on the old slap boards, now i cant change it back :(