Author Topic: Has anyone ever shipped their belongings across the country?  (Read 382 times)

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -326
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Has anyone ever shipped their belongings across the country?
« on: February 26, 2021, 09:31:23 AM »
So I might be moving sometime soon to Portland. I don’t feel comfortable with leaving my stuff at this place.

Is there a place where I could pay for a storage place and then ship my boxes to me?

Dueces Bitch's

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2190
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Re: Has anyone ever shipped their belongings across the country?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 11:07:09 AM »
Believe it or not, Amtrak is a pretty cheap way to move your stuff if you don't have access to a cross country rental van.
I guess they need to make revenue from all that empty space underneath the passenger area.
Simply palletize your stuff, within their weight & height limits, and drop them off.
You'll need to be close enough to a train station to get your stuff there, obvs.
Granted, it was a while ago, but I moved my whole 1 bdrm. apt. this way once for about $90, not including transpo on either end.
Might/could be worth a phone call if'n you've got some hot Amtrak action up in your zone.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

sbmfj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 11:39:17 AM »
Friend did domething similar. They drop off a huge box off at your place, you fill it up, they pick it up and ship it to your new destination. Think he had used U-Haul..

Good luck

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -326
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 12:08:07 PM »
So I hear what you’re saying about shipping does anywhere have a store it before I can mail it to me?

Dueces Bitch's

Cockaigne

• Rep: 0
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 01:04:36 PM »
I dont know about that. However, just the other day I did learn it used to be possible to send a baby by mail in that great country of y'alls that needs or needed to be remade great again.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/brief-history-children-sent-through-mail-180959372/

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1378
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 02:25:35 PM »
so are you trying to pack your stuff up, store it at a facility and then have it shipped West once you're situated?

You can most likely do that with a Ubox through Uhaul.
https://www.uhaul.com/UBox/

Like the page says, they drop off a big wooden box, you pack it, they pick it up, then they store/ship it. I know a few people who have done this and it's worked out ok. Reading online reviews can make one skeptical, but if you're not in a rush to get your gear, it's supposedly pretty decent. I also know a couple people who have had their car shipped across and just filled that up with all their stuff as well. PODS is a similar service to the Uhaul box and maybe more common.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Land of the Faust

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 03:25:45 PM »
Look into PODs. I know a few people that have used that.

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 05:58:59 PM »
whatever you do, never use UPS to ship anything you want to see again (in one piece)

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 08:27:14 PM »
Looked into the Amtrak route last year when I moved cross country and apparently you can’t ship any appliances. I’m sure there is no way they could tell what you have in your boxes but still just a heads up.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 12:19:25 PM »
Believe it or not, Amtrak is a pretty cheap way to move your stuff if you don't have access to a cross country rental van.
I guess they need to make revenue from all that empty space underneath the passenger area.
Simply palletize your stuff, within their weight & height limits, and drop them off.
You'll need to be close enough to a train station to get your stuff there, obvs.
Granted, it was a while ago, but I moved my whole 1 bdrm. apt. this way once for about $90, not including transpo on either end.
Might/could be worth a phone call if'n you've got some hot Amtrak action up in your zone.
Moved a ton of shit from SF to Boston very cheaply via Amtrak about 6 years ago. I always recommend this to people. But yeah no appliances and furniture. I didn’t have a ton of belongings at the time. They did drop the ball a little bit as far as calling me when my stuff arrived in Boston, they tried to charge me more for storage. But I convinced them they fucked up (they did). Rare situation.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 10:08:51 PM »
I've used U-Box and it worked quite well (but was somewhat expensive).

They dropped off the shipping container, I filled it up, it was transported to the new city I was moving to, and then stored by the company for a few months until I was ready to have it dropped off at my place.

Not sure if they will keep it in your current city and then ship it at a later date (rather than shipping it to Portland right away and storing it there), but definitely seems possible.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 10:11:24 PM »
I've used U-Box and it worked quite well (but was somewhat expensive).

They dropped off the shipping container, I filled it up, it was transported to the new city I was moving to, and then stored by the company for a few months until I was ready to have it dropped off at my place.

Not sure if they will keep it in your current city and then ship it at a later date (rather than shipping it to Portland right away and storing it there), but definitely seems possible.

And, if I remember correctly, I believe one month of storage was included in the original U-Box shipping quote.

RickKane

• Rep: -10
  • SLAP Legend
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 11:03:45 PM »
Quit being a slave to material possessions, you fucking capitalist. Leave it all and move on with your life.