Author Topic: What should I be looking for in skate shoes - They don't look like D3s anymore l  (Read 570 times)

moeb74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
So as you guys have been noticing, I'm starting again after 20 years. I used to have them big bulky shoes like D3s. I'm looking to get something cheap locally hopefully. From looking around it seems skateshoea can be bought at DSW, outlets etc. They don't HAVE to be a skate shoe. I've seen people skate in Sambas etc.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what to look for/at locally? Anything that's cheap and can be bought locally is cool. The shoes had more leather  around the toe, but looks like a taller rubber sole is popular now?

Appreciate it.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
Funny enough you’ve been out for so long that puffy cupsoles came back around in popularity. Even weirder it spilled its way into “fashion”. I don’t have an answer to your question btw

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

moeb74

Unreal.... Lolol!

Fhk

So as you guys have been noticing, I'm starting again after 20 years. I used to have them big bulky shoes like D3s. I'm looking to get something cheap locally hopefully. From looking around it seems skateshoea can be bought at DSW, outlets etc. They don't HAVE to be a skate shoe. I've seen people skate in Sambas etc.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what to look for/at locally? Anything that's cheap and can be bought locally is cool. The shoes had more leather  around the toe, but looks like a taller rubber sole is popular now?

Appreciate it.

I actually hadn't noticed. Sorry bout that.

Land of the Faust

eS Accel OG.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Advice for guys just coming back: avoid Shoes & Gear and Slap in general.
go to a local skateshop and ask an employee
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
eS Accel OG.

This, or any other puffy eS shoe thats out right now. Globe has re-released the Chet Thomas IV, which you may remember from your time. DC also has some older models but I forget what they're called

Most of the big stuff gets to the sale rack anyways so call up your local shop and ask them what theyve got. Describe your situation theyll help you out and you can get back into your local skate scene that way. 

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
So as you guys have been noticing, I'm starting again after 20 years.

Welcome to my world.  ;D

I also started again after 20 years during lockdown. First started to push around in some All Stars but they did not last long. Got a pair of Busenitz Vulc 2s after that which I liked (but everybody else on Slap hates them) and currently ride the new Puigs. Not sure if that is of any help but tbh I am not yearning for the puffy shoes of old. I used to wear them super loose and stuff extra socks under the tongue so I had zero board feeling and would often loose them mid trick with socks spilling all around. At least I looked dope tho.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
burlington has cheap rebook, adidas, pony, supras. leather less than 20 bux

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
Bruv how many advice threads do you need to start?

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
Bruv how many advice threads do you need to start?

A mod or whatever should merge them with the containment thread GardenSkater77 started so we can heap all our bad advice in there.

moeb74

It's a message board! Lol. All different topics so why not?

Anyway, I wasn't looking for new D3s just saying that's what was in back then. What's new now days?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Definitely helps to go somewhere, anywhere, with a reasonable selection and try on a whole lot of shoes to see which ones feel more comfortable and which ones are not good for you and your feet.

Everyone has different shaped feet too, so what one might recommend might not work for another.  Shoe sizes have also varied a lot, so one brand might be too tight in 11 but another might be way too loose.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

z_tx

• Rep: 26
try DC Lynx Zeros

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Definitely helps to go somewhere, anywhere, with a reasonable selection and try on a whole lot of shoes to see which ones feel more comfortable and which ones are not good for you and your feet.

Everyone has different shaped feet too, so what one might recommend might not work for another.  Shoe sizes have also varied a lot, so one brand might be too tight in 11 but another might be way too loose.

Seconded, shoes are best tested in person, go to a shop with a decent selection and try them out. Be mindful of how tight they are around the toes, arch and heel support. Get insoles (athletic ones, not cushion ones) if you have flat feet or collapsed arches, those will save your knees and prevent ankle tweaks. Big fan of Superfeet's carbon / copper since I have flat feet.

Watch some video on Youtube on the difference between cupsole and vulcanized shoes, it's a lot of personal preference but comfort and stability in a shoe should be the #1 deciding factor. You adjust to whatever you skate and the only way to know is to spend lots of time on your board.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m