Author Topic: Indy 215 Kingpin height  (Read 1917 times)

greenreese

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25
Indy 215 Kingpin height
« on: February 26, 2021, 12:09:41 PM »
I recently bought a new pair of 215s and there was a small void in one of the baseplates.  They sent me replacement baseplates with kingpins, nuts, bushings and washers, which is awesome.  But the Kingpin on the new ones is shorter and the bushings are shorter as well.  They instructed me to switch both hangers over to the new everything. 

Anybody know anything about why they are different?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 12:36:19 PM by greenreese »

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Indy 215 Kingpin height
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 05:14:03 PM »
I would ride the short one in the back
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 05:15:55 PM »
Also maybe the long one is the oddball.

🤯
(A)pl(E)

greenreese

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 07:11:44 PM »
I have two long ones and two short ones.  The long ones are the original, the short are the replacement.  I just don't know why they are different.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 08:10:10 PM »
Set them up and see how they sit.

Then let me know so I know, because I haven't really seen this before, but I also haven't seen the new 215s in person since they changed them either, so the newer 215s might have been taller (just like the older stage Indys they were shaped from), but the standard trucks of all other sizes use the baseplates they sent you, so if anything you will have more clearance and maybe a standard turn on them.

The best thing to do in situations like this is set them up and see how they skate.

What was wrong with the first baseplates - an air bubble in the baseplate metal or something that caused an issue with them?

I would like to see a close up of that too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

greenreese

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 07:39:13 AM »
Here are some close ups.  Small air pocket/void in the original baseplate on one.

The replacements have shorter kingpins and bushings.  I swapped them over and they don't look like they have a whole lotta room to articulate.

It's snowing here, so I'm just looking at skate parts on my floor.

laterskater

• Rep: 3
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 11:21:28 AM »
I just bought a new pair of 215s and I noticed the kingpins and bushings were taller as well.

My guess is that it’s taller to allow the longer axle enough room to articulate.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 04:47:11 PM »
Here are some close ups.  Small air pocket/void in the original baseplate on one.

The replacements have shorter kingpins and bushings.  I swapped them over and they don't look like they have a whole lotta room to articulate.

It's snowing here, so I'm just looking at skate parts on my floor.

Thanks - that is interesting but I can't help think I could do more damage to those in the first skate than I see there, but I know from doing shop things for 20+ years, the first impressions are more important and something new should be new when bought, if that makes sense.

If it doesn't impact the performance of the truck at all, which I really can't see happening, just set them up on the original baseplates and see how they go.

As you said, the lower kingpin option is there if you need it on the normal stage 11 baseplates, but these 215s are based off the older stage, which had super tall sitting trucks, if you see pics, those things are crazy looking.  I have a few sets and the kingpin almost sticks out above the hanger right from day one, with very tall bushings, both top and bottom.

Normal Stage 11 have a ton of kingpin clearance nowdays, which is why they are so good (with the other baseplates and bushings they sent, you will not have the kingpin sitting right up to the top of the hanger.

New ones:

Old ones:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Independent-215-Stage-5-V-Skateboard-Trucks-/203039603154

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Diocletian

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 05:28:59 PM »
If you still want to turn with a massive truck you're better off with Ace 66's.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 03:17:35 PM »
I realized this when I got my first pair of 215s (the new version).  I immediately swapped the baseplates and bushings for the standard size.  I'm also using bones hard bushings with the stock bottom washer and bones flat washer on the top

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 03:34:47 PM »
It's an illusion. They are the exact same height. Lens distortion.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 06:46:20 PM »
Is definitely use the original baseplates they came with save the second set for when your cups blow out or whatever. That's never going to break especially if you ride it up front.

I would have asked for an extra truck tho. 215s grind to death not break. Extra plates are paperweights.
(A)pl(E)

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -86
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 07:36:42 AM »
If you still want to turn with a massive truck you're better off with Ace 66's.

My 215's turning insanely great. I'm riding mine stock, untouched. So turny that getting back on my popsicle 8.6 with 159's kingpin nut all the way to the top and no bottom washer feels stiff in comparison.

Had 66's but never set em up. Sold em yesterday actually.

greenreese

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 08:28:19 AM »
To follow up on this, I mounted the trucks with the new baseplates.  Just by pushing down on the wheel with my hand, I could see the top washer make contact with the hanger before it got anywhere close to wheelbite.  The kingpin nut also had to be pretty tight or the hanger was just floppy.  It also had that old, "I can't fit a socket on the kingpin nut very well" clearance.  I was going to try them until I realized it was just gonna mash the hell out of the hanger and not give me much range of motion.

I then put the original baseplates back on with the taller kingpin and bushings.  Way more articulation, socket fits easy, and they preload like they should.

All happy now.

If it doesn't impact the performance of the truck at all, which I really can't see happening, just set them up on the original baseplates and see how they go.

As you said, the lower kingpin option is there if you need it on the normal stage 11 baseplates, but these 215s are based off the older stage, which had super tall sitting trucks, if you see pics, those things are crazy looking.  I have a few sets and the kingpin almost sticks out above the hanger right from day one, with very tall bushings, both top and bottom.

Normal Stage 11 have a ton of kingpin clearance nowdays, which is why they are so good (with the other baseplates and bushings they sent, you will not have the kingpin sitting right up to the top of the hanger.

New ones:

Old ones:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Independent-215-Stage-5-V-Skateboard-Trucks-/203039603154

Yeah, top picture is how they look out of the box.  When I put the new baseplates on, they had clearance like the bottom ones.