Author Topic: What is the benefit or drawback of a pointy/tapered tail?  (Read 1215 times)

primo

What is the benefit or drawback of a pointy/tapered tail?
« on: February 27, 2021, 04:57:43 AM »
I’ve never ridden a board with a significantly tapered tail. The nose and tail of boards I’ve ridden have typically been pretty much the same, or at least never too exaggerated. I’ve recently purchased an Anti Hero with a tail that’s really tapered. I won’t be able to skate for a couple of days so while I’m waiting, I’d like to see how other people feel about it.

In your experience (positive or negative) what has riding a board with a tapered tail been like?

OldCandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: What is the benefit or drawback of a pointy/tapered tail?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 05:09:36 PM »
razortails faster
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 05:59:13 PM »
I’ve never ridden a board with a significantly tapered tail. The nose and tail of boards I’ve ridden have typically been pretty much the same, or at least never too exaggerated. I’ve recently purchased an Anti Hero with a tail that’s really tapered. I won’t be able to skate for a couple of days so while I’m waiting, I’d like to see how other people feel about it.

In your experience (positive or negative) what has riding a board with a tapered tail been like?

Of all the shapes AH has, I cannot think of any that are pointy, unless you are meaning the Grimple Stix football shape 8.75 x 31.5 with the smallest tail ever?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lloyd Braun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 07:05:14 PM »
I personally don't like any taper at all, I prefer a square nose and tail such as Quasi. My reason is more real estate for slides and grinds.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 07:52:39 PM »
I personally don't like any taper at all, I prefer a square nose and tail such as Quasi. My reason is more real estate for slides and grinds.

I prefer a big round back end...

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 08:26:45 PM »
Benefit = tre flips..

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 02:06:09 AM »
Better for scooping tricks, I also like flicking off of tapered kicks a bit more than off square ones but some people think the opposite. Biggest drawback is wayyy less real estate for nose and tailslides.

Though I like the flick and scoop of tapered kicks I usually opt for a slightly fuller nose (but not dumb square like hockey/fa) for nose/tailslide purposes... size 13 feet and skate 8.25-8.38.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 09:58:59 AM »
Better for scooping tricks, I also like flicking off of tapered kicks a bit more than off square ones but some people think the opposite. Biggest drawback is wayyy less real estate for nose and tailslides.

Though I like the flick and scoop of tapered kicks I usually opt for a slightly fuller nose (but not dumb square like hockey/fa) for nose/tailslide purposes... size 13 feet and skate 8.25-8.38.

Love them for scoop and flick. Also, I think it's just an aesthetic preference having started skating in the mid 90s.