Author Topic: Do who shoe companys decide to sponsor confuse anyone else?  (Read 3701 times)

twice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Do who shoe companys decide to sponsor confuse anyone else?
« on: February 28, 2021, 05:31:36 AM »
With shoe sponsors being more important than ever and often making or breaking pro's careers.

I often find myself perplexed by why some pros end up with shoes sponsors and others don't.

A prime example is Austyn Gillette, in my opinion he is one of the best of his generation and is in the same leagues as Ishod/GT/Shane.

This is a man with 120k insta followers, has multiple parts on YouTube with that average 300k views, impeccable style and trick selection and still very much in his prime. Yet no shoe.

Contrast this to say Nestor Judkins, who is fully on Adidas. He has 18k followers on insta, most of his parts get 30k views on youtube and is well past his prime(still love his skateboarding).

I know its a kook move to place so much importance on social media numbers. But i'm sure these company's take them into consideration when sponsoring riders.

Anyway there is many more pros like Austyn who in my eyes deserve shoe $$$(Clive dixon, jerry hsu, Kader, Sebo walker, chris milic ect). While also being pros that i dont understand why they are backed by the big 5 ( kevin terpening, daniel-lutheran, Kevin Lowry ect).

SATIVA HYBRID

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Do who shoe companys decide to sponsor confuse anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 08:53:12 AM »
i think a lot of it has to do with timing. nestor has been on adidas for over 10 years, and back then he was doing a lot. his transworld part was just coming out, i think he just turned pro, etc. austyn WAS on huf for a hot minute when they started doing footwear 8-9 years ago, and since that time the shoe industry has changed immensely. Nike fucked on nearly every company and probably made it a lot harder to get new contracts after a certain point. Austyn is now at a much later point in his career, and probably doesn't have the same appeal as whatever young new kids these companies are eyeing nowadays.  Keep in mind I know literally nothing, but based on what I've observed this is my best guess
only hoe i love is popeyes
i put my dick in the drumstick

Grind King Rims

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 09:22:14 AM »
Like how come Darius King doesn't have a shoe sponsor?

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 09:23:06 AM »
I’m sure there have been offers out there for Austyn that he has turned down.

My guess is that he would want his next shoe deal to be his last and is waiting for a company that he could ride for into the end of his career. Just my guess.

For most pros, something is better than nothing, but in Austyn’s case where he has had a few pro shoes out and built his name up to carry some weight, maybe there’s also a little bit of “this company can’t afford me” going on.

I could actually see him riding for Globe given the surf connection and the fact that they pay. They could go for a little rebrand around Austyn.

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 09:23:52 AM »
not as much as this thread title
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 09:35:08 AM »

came here to say this lol

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 09:36:55 AM »
Austyn has just had unfortunate timing, and made bad decisions with shoe sponsors. The whole Habitat footwear thing was a mistake. He turned down Cons. Huf footwear went under. I thought he was Vans flow, but just saw him wearing Puma's the other day, so who knows what's going on.

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 09:39:18 AM »
Could be a contract thing and holding out for what he thinks he's worth vs. what companies are offering. Could also depend on what he wants to do with his time in the next few years vs. what sponsors are expecting of him.

I always kind of wondered how contract details are available in other sports as well as in wrestling, but not with skaters. Probably because no one actually reports news in skateboarding.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

GreggPopovich

• Rep: -44
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 10:00:35 AM »
Realistically, social media influence is the name of the game.
Who controls that is king in the modern market.
in the 1990's when Rocco came into the market he created a paradigm shift from contests to video parts.
Currently the shoe industry is about to do the same thing, but with social media influence instead of video parts.
It's just the times, and you can be an old bitter pro like MJ, or a savvy young man like TJ in those regards.
Historically before skaters could virally advertise themselves to the degree currently,
they had to be promoted internally within the industry.
That is why we are in this transient period until we stabilize into the next paradigm.
Like historically skaters were promoted by companies, not be their own brand.
Individual branding was not really a viable option until social media because of how all the math works out.
Like historically skaters made video parts promoted by companies and thrasher, which kids
lost their shit on these video parts, and that's how a skater and the industry symbiotically
built their brands in unison.
Social media essentially lets people sidestep the industry(like Rocco with video parts and contests), and if they are not a part of the people who the industry would market, they can compete and say hey let the consumer decide, not the cool guy. that's why guys like revive can fucking thrive, where as they could not 20 years ago.
The future is a guy like &&, a guy who understands this like revive, but has the skills to garner legitimate from the industry to push the paradigm in having both forms of representation(like Nike wants 5 years from now he has achieved already).
and for all you guys that don't want && to succeed or shit on him, you don't realize the bigger picture of what he's basically the catalyst of, which is making the industry better as whole. He's the transition piece from devolving into full blown kookery after the paradigm shift. Like would you rather have && influence the next 50 years of skating or revive. We got blessed the industry is in good hands like we were when we got Mullen. those 2 shits are national treasures in skate history.
You guys realize he does not even have a damn shoe sponsor, rides for Powell, yet has a higher selling board than Tony Hawk in the fucking 80s, and the second highest deck sales from literally any other pro pale in comparison to that kid's numbers.

Austyn built his entire image on the previous paradigm, therefore he looks like a sellout for the future. it's like when fusion came out, and you had dudes who looked at Herbie Handcock funny at first, the dudes who looked at him funny are Austyn.

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 10:13:53 AM »
Not much to add to the discussion but OP you’ll be glad to know it looks like Chris Millic is about to be getting them Last Resort AB checks from Pontus

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 10:19:03 AM »
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Ishaboi

• Rep: -1
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 10:37:23 AM »
in the 1990's when Rocco came into the market he created a paradigm shift from contests to video parts.
Currently the shoe industry is about to do the same thing, but with social media influence instead of video parts.
It's just the times, and you can be an old bitter pro like MJ, or a savvy young man like TJ in those regards.
Historically before skaters could virally advertise themselves to the degree currently,
That is why we are in this transient period until we stabilize into the next paradigm.
Individual branding was not really a viable option until social media because of how all the math works out.
Like historically skaters made video parts promoted by companies and thrasher, which kids
lost their shit on these video parts, and that's how a skater and the industry symbiotically
Social media essentially lets people sidestep the industry(like Rocco with video parts and contests), and if they are not a part of the people who the industry would market, they can compete and say hey let the consumer decide, not the cool guy. that's why guys like revive can fucking thrive, where as they could not 20 years ago.
The future is a guy like &&, a guy who understands this like revive, but has the skills to garner legitimate from the industry to push the paradigm in having both forms of representation(like Nike wants 5 years from now he has achieved already).
and for all you guys that don't want && to succeed or shit on him, you don't realize the bigger picture of what he's basically the catalyst of, which is making the industry better as whole. He's the transition piece from devolving into full blown kookery after the paradigm shift. Like would you rather have && influence the next 50 years of skating or revive. We got blessed the industry is in good hands like we were when we got Mullen. those 2 shits are national treasures in skate history.
You guys realize he does not even have a damn shoe sponsor, rides for Powell, yet has a higher selling board than Tony Hawk in the fucking 80s, and the second highest deck sales from literally any other pro pale in comparison to that kid's numbers.

Austyn built his entire image on the previous paradigm, therefore he looks like a sellout for the future. it's like when fusion came out, and you had dudes who looked at Herbie Handcock funny at first, the dudes who looked at him funny are Austyn.

Wow

cky enthusiast

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 10:38:43 AM »

go back to reddit

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 10:46:11 AM »
Not much to add to the discussion but OP you’ll be glad to know it looks like Chris Millic is about to be getting them Last Resort AB checks from Pontus

And Kader is on Nike. Hsu is basically retired.

miff

• Rep: -7
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 10:52:56 AM »
Do who shoe companies!

michael scarn

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 10:58:21 AM »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 11:01:49 AM »
dat post

lmao && skates with the braille dudes.

also hi cheetah

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 11:12:11 AM »

Werd up.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 06:05:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Kader is flexin adidas all the sudden. He's either a free agent or he is a big ole lil dummy.

To the guy ranging about &&, I hope he gets on airspeed and his shoe has a toecap that looks like his helmet
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2021, 06:21:30 PM »

Jesus, Cheetah - how many new accounts have you made since you got booted the first time?

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2021, 06:23:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Kader is flexin adidas all the sudden. He's either a free agent or he is a big ole lil dummy.

To the guy ranging about &&, I hope he gets on airspeed and his shoe has a toecap that looks like his helmet

man i wish there was a 20 page thread about kader switching shoe sponsors where you could catch up

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2021, 06:25:35 PM »
Do who shoe and you should too.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2021, 06:40:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

man i wish there was a 20 page thread about kader switching shoe sponsors where you could catch up

Oh man could you imagine? That’s the dream right there. Maybe one day...

mareo

• Rep: -339
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2021, 07:40:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

go back to reddit

Quote from: I sniff my own butthole all the time
2nd vote would be for PJ. sometimes it is a fine command of the english language to say nothing and he extended that to skating. PJ's plan B part is the emperor's new clothes.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2021, 08:00:39 PM »
are we saying NSS was lucky to have Vinny Ponte or vice versa
where is home?

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2021, 08:11:00 PM »
Word is Globe is looking at a huge shake up, and Austyn is going to be their franchise player. As per the last Thrasher, Nike/Cons have put a freeze on all contracts for the foreseeable future. Vans is the most confusing for me. Their team has no balance.

I think we're gonna see some guys on different teams that you wouldn't usually expect.

priceyp

• Rep: -7
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2021, 10:40:35 PM »
I am not sure if you understand how different skaters play different roles. They also come at a different price.
Lots of Euro's, Aus, and Canadian skaters would barely get enough to cover rent and keep food on the table.
If you compare Nestors salary with Miles, Nora or Nak you would have a bit better idea of what is going on.
There is something to be said about loyalty. Nestor was there before they announced the skate line. He was one of the founding riders who helped build the program. Not going to lie I would rather watch Nestor than any of the guys you listed.

Flabby cold demeanor

• Rep: -16
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2021, 10:57:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

came here to say this lol

Yes it's amazing what an Es can do.

QixHexagon

• Rep: 31
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2021, 02:15:44 AM »
Yeah, totally. Sometimes I also see some very unknown dudes, although very talented, sponsored by the big companies. Don't take me wrong, I wish these guys the best - all the money and support to film video parts for days.

Word is Globe is looking at a huge shake up, and Austyn is going to be their franchise player. As per the last Thrasher, Nike/Cons have put a freeze on all contracts for the foreseeable future. Vans is the most confusing for me. Their team has no balance.

I think we're gonna see some guys on different teams that you wouldn't usually expect.

What happened? I didn't see that. Honestly curious to know.

Fhk

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2021, 02:23:13 AM »
Did you knew who do shoe boo?