Author Topic: Looking for a new job (advice welcome)  (Read 496 times)

Lloyd Braun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
Looking for a new job (advice welcome)
« on: February 28, 2021, 09:46:16 AM »
So the company I work for and I will more than likely be parting ways come end of may/early June. I致e worked here for almost 5 years, and the project I知 working on is coming to an end. I have the option to stay but I知 not stoked on the position they池e offering or the 25-30% pay cut coming with it. They are offering 16 week paid severance along with 16 weeks of health insurance for folks that decide to leave at the end of the project, which is how I知 leaning.

Seeking general advice mostly on the best places to look for Jobs online and otherwise. I致e got to get my resume updated and uploaded but specific sites you all have had good luck with would be helpful.

Also looking for some general suggestions as to a new field to work in. My current job is great and all but I知 not so stoked on the work I do (traveling 2-3 weeks a month doing metal siding installs). I don稚 mind working with my hands so much that part I enjoy, I mainly hate being away from home and working 12 hours a day 6 days a week.

My work background is 3 years construction (metal siding) 1 year administrative, 1 year manufacturing and 8 years of restaurant work 5 of those being management. I am fluent in English as well as Spanish and I知 very interested in doing some kind of Translation interpretation job ideally remote/work from home. I have no college degrees and no certifications, just my work experience. I知 not really looking to go to college although I would be open to maybe getting some kind of certificate if I could get it under a year.

Any advice welcome and thanks in advance.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Looking for a new job (advice welcome)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 05:54:23 PM »
Solar. I know the CC here has a solar credential program at community college rates. Pretty sure its 12-18months
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1579
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 07:55:29 PM »
Hospitals and schools always need interpreters.  You could probably do both at the same time.  The only thing is you would likely need to learn some new vocabulary that is specific to those settings. Now that I think about it, courts may also need translation work.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 11:56:34 PM »
I am fluent in English as well as Spanish and I知 very interested in doing some kind of Translation interpretation job ideally remote/work from home.

My Dad does that and it is extremely competitive, you need to pass a bunch of certifications and stuff.. Legal translations are the best paid, in Europe at least.

Also, it is way more boring and less creative than you think it is.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 08:15:15 PM »
Hospitals and schools always need interpreters.  You could probably do both at the same time.  The only thing is you would likely need to learn some new vocabulary that is specific to those settings. Now that I think about it, courts may also need translation work.

I have looked into Medical Interpreter jobs some, I believe a certificate is required and yes I would have to learn all the vocab to go with it but that wouldn't really be a problem. Im not super stoked on working in a hospital though, Ive gotten spoiled working M-F (when not traveling) with no evenings. But its certainly something Im willing to explore. My wife's tutor is actually doing this now taking the tests, I asked her to ask for details.

I was taking Spanish classes online with a tutor, with the plan to get my DELE cert last year but fell off it. Planning to get back to it though.

Expand Quote
I am fluent in English as well as Spanish and I知 very interested in doing some kind of Translation interpretation job ideally remote/work from home.
[close]

My Dad does that and it is extremely competitive, you need to pass a bunch of certifications and stuff.. Legal translations are the best paid, in Europe at least.

Also, it is way more boring and less creative than you think it is.

Yeah, I know its not going to be the most exciting work, but based on my skills its the only job I could think of with remote work potential. Which would be ideal for me, my wife and I love to travel. I could suck it up if it meant I could be in a new city every few months without needing months of vacation time.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 10:09:15 PM »
I can imagine that spanish in particular is a tough field, but shit, go for it!