Author Topic: Bringing the truck industry to Europe with Jérémie Daclin - Jenkem interview  (Read 1020 times)

1stofthemonth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -17

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Pretty good read about not just Film, but the skate industry as a whole. I'd give Film a shot when the time comes for new trucks, the gear subforum seems to like them.

Can't wait for this era's version of Powell vs Blind.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
Really can't knock them for the price, I had a pair and the build quality is nice, they are well finished with some nice little details...they rode kind of like Ace...quite a high old school feel, surfy turn.

If they ever make some lows I would happily grab them.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
So who's the person he mentions that owns all the big truck companies?

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
todd falcon

threequartercab

• Rep: 4
Really can't knock them for the price, I had a pair and the build quality is nice, they are well finished with some nice little details...they rode kind of like Ace...quite a high old school feel, surfy turn.

If they ever make some lows I would happily grab them.

Agreed, but i feel like they are a little bit lower?! I have two setups, one with Aces and one with Film. Like them both, but remember a longer break-in time with Aces.

GreggPopovich

• Rep: -44
What he said about China is very true in terms of clean conditions.
In terms of manufacturing it goes China>Europe>USA in cleanliness of their manufacturing operations on average.
Their workers do not have nearly the same rights, and get treated like shit from the employer, but the plants on
face value look so much better than America or Europe.
At the end of the day nobody manufactures shit in the skate industry.
Like you have 3 main woodshops in North America; Schmitt, SkateOne, and Deluxe.
Literally if you are riding north American wood(I believe SkateOne is the only one in America anymore, others are in mexico), then it's coming from one of those 3 woodshops outside of some smaller niche woodshops out their, with nowhere near the quality of those 3 or DSM in china that dwindle uses.
The issue with Chinese wood is the fact the material sits on boats for a long period of time, and this degrades the quality of the wood, especially around Christmas time in North America since everyone is trying to meet production for the holidays.
Now I don't think that would apply to wheels, bearings, or trucks because they aren't wood, but I'm also not an expert in materials science.
Secondly the reason you don't have other people manufacture trucks is because it is prohibitively expensive to mass manufacture unless you got to be able to use someone else factory making the stuff. I mean Schmitt branched out and developed the boards for a shitload of companies.
I do not find it economically viable to not have some model like schmitt for trucks if he wants trucks to blow up in competition.
I mean it has also historically failed in wheels and bearings because lets be real, bones/reds, bones wheels, and spitfire wheels are light years ahead of the market when it comes to quality of their product, and quality assurance on everything they make.

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
Goddamn $80 for a pair of Indys in Europe?

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
    • Fotos avatar image
Kind of a false topic for the interview. He is bringing no industry to Europe. He‘s bringing another part of the truck industry to China and will market it as a European brand. That whole info about the Vitellos owning the three biggest truck brands is no secret either and hardly controversial.

I‘d definitely try the trucks if people say they are good. It would have been really cool had he been able to figure out a way to make them in Europe...

codymacfan

• Rep: 21

That whole info about the Vitellos owning the three biggest truck brands is no secret either and hardly controversial.

AKA Ermico

Some bad info on here.

Ermico was Fausto Vitello, Eric Swenson

NHS was Richard Novak, Jay Shuriman and Doug Haut (Surfboard shaper).

Ermico and NHS got together to make Indy happen.

Ermico was the foundry that actually manufactured the trucks in SF. NHS did the distro and all the other shit.

Ermico later founded High Speed productions, Thrasher/ Slap (Hey, they own us!)  and Deluxe (Thunder, Spitfire, later Real, AH, Krooked[, Venture] etc.)

Fausto Vitello's sister is currently president of Ermico.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2157
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Cheetah, you forgot about Clutch/ASF (also in Mexico) who leveraged the pandemic related shortages to great advantage, and should probably be considered a major player.
Additionally, I’m going to presume that by Deluxe, you were referring to BBS, who also manufactures for scores of other (non Deluxe) brands.
Also, quality not withstanding, Skateone is primarily producing for Powell alone, and let’s be honest here... even WITH your personal “Angel Boy” Andy on their side, AND all of the newly minted beginners and returning skaters snatching up Powell decks during theses COVIDian times, the Skateone gang aren’t really accounting for that large of a market slice.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Gnar Kook

When I lived in NZ, I saw that the skate gear was higher than I'm used to. Checked one of the shops I went to for today current pricing...

Boards : 115 (83.59 USD) (primitive)-160 (116.30 USD) (160 is Hockey)
trucks $109 ($79.23 USD) -$130 (94.49 USD) <--Indys hollows I think
bearings: reds $45 (32.71 USD) , ceramics $300 (218.06 USD)
Wheels: like 80 (58.15 USD)-95 (69.05 USD)
Shoes: Half Cab and/or Busenitz 170 (123.57 USD), Adidas 3st.004 - $219 (159.18 USD)

I made a stupid little song while I was there, skating by myself at parks "whoa-eee-ohh… 400 dolla skate-bo-eee-ard"

I had my mom send me skate stuff from here and even with the shipping was dramatically cheaper. We've got it pretty easy here, as far as skate gear goes.

Also, dickies was pretty popular over there... but like $120 for a hoodie VS. $23 at Walmart here. I just had my mom send me shit. I hooked up a lot of dudes too

WavyDavy

• Rep: 129

Yes, but only when they are on sale. Usually more like $85-90

Before Film trucks, was there ever a European truck company?

I don’t really think so.

Well
http://www.polster-trucks.com/

https://www.titus-shop.com/en/titus-lites-trucks/

GreggPopovich

Cheetah, you forgot about Clutch/ASF (also in Mexico) who leveraged the pandemic related shortages to great advantage, and should probably be considered a major player.
Additionally, I’m going to presume that by Deluxe, you were referring to BBS, who also manufactures for scores of other (non Deluxe) brands.
Also, quality not withstanding, Skateone is primarily producing for Powell alone, and let’s be honest here... even WITH your personal “Angel Boy” Andy on their side, AND all of the newly minted beginners and returning skaters snatching up Powell decks during theses COVIDian times, the Skateone gang aren’t really accounting for that large of a market slice.

I was referring to BBS. all my posts are long so I try to simplify. Honestly Lou I stay pretty hands off on the industry these days, so I’m not super into the fine details and what not of what’s happened production wise during the pandemic for every single brand out their.

Now you telling me doesn’t dominate the market when it comes to wheels and bearings? I’d argue they account for 75% if u combine both of those market(50-50 split for bones and spitfire, and 100% for reds/minilogo, Swiss, etc.) obviously SkateOne board wise only makes powell mini logo and prolly some longboard shit, but to say they don’t dominate the market is extremely disingenuous when u talk about wheels/bearings. Also they make all of that shit in America, so they are dope as shit in my opinion.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2157
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Expand Quote
[close]

I was referring to BBS. all my posts are long so I try to simplify. Honestly Lou I stay pretty hands off on the industry these days, so I’m not super into the fine details and what not of what’s happened production wise during the pandemic for every single brand out their.

Now you telling me doesn’t dominate the market when it comes to wheels and bearings? I’d argue they account for 75% if u combine both of those market(50-50 split for bones and spitfire, and 100% for reds/minilogo, Swiss, etc.) obviously SkateOne board wise only makes powell mini logo and prolly some longboard shit, but to say they don’t dominate the market is extremely disingenuous when u talk about wheels/bearings. Also they make all of that shit in America, so they are dope as shit in my opinion.
Sorry for the confuse, Sheets.
I thought we was talking woods, which seemed odd to me in a truck thread, but I take your meaning. I am running Bones wheels on a few set-ups & Bones Swiss inside of all of them, so I’ll concede your point there.
As an aside, I took a look at those Titus trucks, and while I’m not saying I’d pay for a pair, I’d certainly be happy give their high version an extended test if a set happened to fall into my lap. That’s more than I can say for GK Satoshi’s Gring Kings.
I wonder what ever happened to that guy; he was a real deal sweety.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
Yup, and F4’s are 50$ and up...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

GreggPopovich

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Sorry for the confuse, Sheets.
I thought we was talking woods, which seemed odd to me in a truck thread, but I take your meaning. I am running Bones wheels on a few set-ups & Bones Swiss inside of all of them, so I’ll concede your point there.
As an aside, I took a look at those Titus trucks, and while I’m not saying I’d pay for a pair, I’d certainly be happy give their high version an extended test if a set happened to fall into my lap. That’s more than I can say for GK Satoshi’s Gring Kings.
I wonder what ever happened to that guy; he was a real deal sweety.

Lou I’ve had the same setups for the past 10 years, and never mix it up. Now deck wise I will shake up, but as far as like trucks, bearings, and wheels, that shit hasn’t changed since like 2009-2010. I’ve been riding bones wheels, Swiss ceramics, and Indy’s for damn near 10 years. As far as bearings I started with reds, about a year in I got Swiss, and then some years later got into ceramics and have not looked back. Every single bearing I’ve ever used was SkateOne except one time I tried OUST way back. As far as wheels go I didn’t have preference in the earlier days, but one time I was getting flowed spitfire, and dude I shit u not I literally would flat spot those shits like within an hour or two skating them. Spitfire pre formula 4 was absolutely horrendous quality in comparison to bones. I still think Spitfires flatspot so much quicker than bones, even if the quality has improved somewhat, and at the end of the day I care about flatspots if I’m not riding full time with product being flowed to me. As far as trucks go I used to rock the tensor low sliders when I started, which I fucking loved because they helped with grinds a lot, and when you’re a little kid without much strength they are fucking great. Then eventually I wanted to be able to turn, and switched to venture. Later on when I started riding transition I rocked Indy’s, and I’ve been rocking Indy’s for the past 13 years or so. I never liked the feeling of thunder, Fury made a decent truck(I think that’s their name? The one under blitz some time ago), and I’ve always been curious to how those titanium theeves ever ended up being. Either way I don’t experiment with my board much at all, and have not for a long time.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
Expand Quote
[close]
Yup, and F4’s are 50$ and up...

a set of f4s costs 60 euros where i live

set of standard indys 70 euros

bloards 65-80 euros(palace is actually cheap around 60, baker and fa and such cost 80)

reds bearings cost 25 bucks.

shoes start at 70 euros for nb 440 lows for example.

a set of film trucks is 45-50 bucks. i'll get the big ones, they have a cool size, 8.66 axle, to make me a new cruiser.