Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 660273 times)

shitsandwich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -54
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #7020 on: January 27, 2021, 05:21:04 PM »
Dropped a month's worth of film photos on my friend's website! These were mostly shot on my Nikon FM with Kodak Gold 200 and Cinestill film. I'm really surprised at how well Kodak Gold does in all lighting situations and I'll definitely be shooting a lot more of it.

https://thedusroom.com/august19hao

I really like how these photos look.

I want to start taking pictures when I go out but I don't really know where to start. I have a  ae 1 I think, but I don't really want to bring something that big out. I would prefer to just buy a point and shoot camera, but my photos won't look anything like @Made In China ,right? Also all three pictures look so different from one another in terms of color, how does that happen? Is that messing with the settings or is it the lighting of the rooms? If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it!

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• Rep: 145
« Reply #7021 on: January 27, 2021, 05:33:38 PM »
use your ae1 to learn about composition, shutterspeed and aperture, and get a CHEAP point and shoot for going out. Don't fall for the hype on pricey contax and yashicas

shitsandwich

« Reply #7022 on: January 27, 2021, 05:55:23 PM »
use your ae1 to learn about composition, shutterspeed and aperture, and get a CHEAP point and shoot for going out. Don't fall for the hype on pricey contax and yashicas

Yeah that sounds like a good idea

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
« Reply #7023 on: January 27, 2021, 06:05:46 PM »

kinda agree but i loved my nikon 28ti .. here is a sample shot from my first roll with it

dont shalom me if you don't know me.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

« Reply #7024 on: January 27, 2021, 06:19:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

kinda agree but i loved my nikon 28ti .. here is a sample shot from my first roll with it

that's a really cool shot and also kind of my dream point and shoot but I would not recommend it as a first 'going out" camera

sometimeperhaps

• Rep: 59
« Reply #7025 on: January 28, 2021, 09:25:20 AM »

This. AE1 will teach you more about photography than a point and shoot. That being said, go grab one from a thrift store and carry it with you at all times. It will help the process of ďfailing fasterĒ, and the more you shoot the faster youíll progress. Just make sure you donít skip the fundamentals.

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #7026 on: January 28, 2021, 09:48:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Dropped a month's worth of film photos on my friend's website! These were mostly shot on my Nikon FM with Kodak Gold 200 and Cinestill film. I'm really surprised at how well Kodak Gold does in all lighting situations and I'll definitely be shooting a lot more of it.

[close]

I want to start taking pictures when I go out but I don't really know where to start. I have a  ae 1 I think, but I don't really want to bring something that big out. I would prefer to just buy a point and shoot camera, but my photos won't look anything like @Made In China ,right? Also all three pictures look so different from one another in terms of color, how does that happen? Is that messing with the settings or is it the lighting of the rooms? If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it!

As others have already said, the best way to learn about taking photos and the process of it would be to take your AE-1 out with you and practice with it. That was also my first SLR camera and what I used to shoot photos for years. Having a SLR camera like an AE-1 isn't as fun, simple, or pocketable as a point and shoot, but it'll force you to learn how shutter speed, aperture, and other factors will affect your photos.

The AE-1 also isn't that different from the Nikon FM that I used to shoot these three photos. They look so different from each other primarily because of the lighting in each. All three were shot in artificial light, but very different kinds of them. The first was in the harsh fluorescent light of a thrift store, and fluorescent light tends to come out with a green tone in most films. The second was in a combination of fluorescent and neon lights of a local fast food place, which evened each other out and led to that cinematic kind of lighting that I like a lot. The third one was in a very dimly lit venue (remember being able to go to live shows??), which is why the lighting is so drastically orange-y red, as that was the only light hitting the signer. That photo is also a double exposure, which you could also do with your AE-1.

Sorry if that's a lot of info, I've been shooting film photography for a couple of years now and love to share what I've learned. I'm also stoked that you dug these photos up from over a year ago and like them so much! Feel free to DM me here if you have any other questions, because I'm always happy to help! You can also find me on instagram @hihaoareyou.

KBizzle

• Rep: -3
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7027 on: January 29, 2021, 09:55:22 AM »
Best point and shoot to carry around that's cheap?

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

« Reply #7028 on: January 29, 2021, 10:00:35 AM »
Depends if you're in a hurry or not. You could get an olympus mju online or try your luck in thrift stores
Most basic point and shoot are actually good enough for party pictures, just make sure you got a working flash on it

shitsandwich

« Reply #7029 on: January 29, 2021, 03:45:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

As others have already said, the best way to learn about taking photos and the process of it would be to take your AE-1 out with you and practice with it. That was also my first SLR camera and what I used to shoot photos for years. Having a SLR camera like an AE-1 isn't as fun, simple, or pocketable as a point and shoot, but it'll force you to learn how shutter speed, aperture, and other factors will affect your photos.

The AE-1 also isn't that different from the Nikon FM that I used to shoot these three photos. They look so different from each other primarily because of the lighting in each. All three were shot in artificial light, but very different kinds of them. The first was in the harsh fluorescent light of a thrift store, and fluorescent light tends to come out with a green tone in most films. The second was in a combination of fluorescent and neon lights of a local fast food place, which evened each other out and led to that cinematic kind of lighting that I like a lot. The third one was in a very dimly lit venue (remember being able to go to live shows??), which is why the lighting is so drastically orange-y red, as that was the only light hitting the signer. That photo is also a double exposure, which you could also do with your AE-1.

Sorry if that's a lot of info, I've been shooting film photography for a couple of years now and love to share what I've learned. I'm also stoked that you dug these photos up from over a year ago and like them so much! Feel free to DM me here if you have any other questions, because I'm always happy to help! You can also find me on instagram @hihaoareyou.
Awesome! this was the kind of response I was hoping for. I'm feeling inspired to just bring out the ae1 and see what happens.
Yup there's a lot of really cool pictures in here but these ones stood out to me. Thats a pretty funny ig handle lol, I just hit you with the follow

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
    • My Photos
« Reply #7030 on: March 02, 2021, 09:06:30 AM »
Hi, does anyone have a recommendation of a fisheye lens to use with a canon dSLR?

I'm looking for something to use for skating so preferably a lens that is sharp and quick to auto focus.

Maybe the Canon 8-15mm f4 L lens?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

whale

• Rep: 30
« Reply #7031 on: March 02, 2021, 11:42:57 AM »
Hi, does anyone have a recommendation of a fisheye lens to use with a canon dSLR?

I'm looking for something to use for skating so preferably a lens that is sharp and quick to auto focus.

Full frame or crop sensor?
I admit i donít really know anything about modern lenses but why a fisheye zoom?
If your body is fullframe, i doubt it has much use at itís widest for skating and if itís a crop sensor the 15mm is pretty useless, no?
Or do you want a fisheye that works with any sensor size?

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

« Reply #7032 on: March 02, 2021, 12:14:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I admit i donít really know anything about modern lenses but why a fisheye zoom?
If your body is fullframe, i doubt it has much use at itís widest for skating and if itís a crop sensor the 15mm is pretty useless, no?
You don't use autofocus filming fisheye
The 2012 answer would be the cheap samyang (and equivalents under other names) 8mm
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 02:18:02 PM by Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein »

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos
« Reply #7033 on: March 02, 2021, 03:38:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
You don't use autofocus filming fisheye
The 2012 answer would be the cheap samyang (and equivalents under other names) 8mm

Hi thanks for your responses.

Sorry I should of specified, I'm using a full frame camera (5dii) and looking for a lens for photography stills not filming.

Whilst I've used somewhat wide angle lenses (24mm and a long time ago 19mm) I'm looking for something where I can get closer and more in frame
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7034 on: March 02, 2021, 09:54:55 PM »
Canon made the 15mm f/2.8 fisheye too but you would have to find that used somewhere. Sigma has one too but not sure how the focus is.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 196
    • Aural Buthcheryers
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7035 on: March 03, 2021, 10:12:16 AM »
I want a signature photo of a few skaters. Should I just hit them up on the gram and be like I'll send you a painting I made and you can send me a photo?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

sometimeperhaps

• Rep: 59
« Reply #7036 on: March 03, 2021, 05:17:34 PM »
I want a signature photo of a few skaters. Should I just hit them up on the gram and be like I'll send you a painting I made and you can send me a photo?

Like of pros? They might not have a good version of the image, as I donít think theyíd have the original file. Youíre probably better off hitting up the photographer. But you never know, itís worth a try.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos
« Reply #7037 on: March 03, 2021, 05:20:34 PM »
Canon made the 15mm f/2.8 fisheye too but you would have to find that used somewhere. Sigma has one too but not sure how the focus is.

Thanks for your suggestion Fong. I've looked up the Canon 15mm and read a few reviews and they sound like a good lens. There's a few on ebay that are reasonably priced so this is looking like a decent option
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps