Author Topic: Hell  (Read 1693 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hell
« on: March 01, 2021, 06:47:34 PM »
Do you think that capital-H Hell exists in one form or another?

Even if you don’t; hypothetically, what do you think it would be like were it to exist?  Also, what do you think would be the absolute worst case scenario?

The classic fire and demonic anal torture for all eternity?

I think I read somewhere that some medieval christians saw it as a frozen wasteland.

What if it’s just floating alone in a perfectly black, featureless and endless void for eternity? 

Maybe it’s not that bad, just kinda lame.  Like having to flip through crinkled People magazines from 2008 in a dentist’s waiting room.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Fhk

Re: Hell
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 06:55:03 PM »

Even if you don’t; hypothetically, what do you think it would be like were it to exist?  Also, what do you think would be the absolute worst case scenario?

I think I read somewhere that some medieval christians saw it as a frozen wasteland.

What if it’s just floating alone in a perfectly black, featureless and endless void for eternity? 

Maybe it’s not that bad, just kinda lame.  Like having to flip through crinkled People magazines from 2008 in a dentist’s waiting room.
Shit this is not promising for me. I wonder what I did wrong?  :-\

behavioralguide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 11:46:52 PM »
Its forgetting your bearing blew out the day before

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 11:54:26 PM »
Hell is other people.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 11:59:40 PM »
Wheelbite in the rain.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 12:27:37 AM »
I don't buy into the whole heaven/hell thing, but, I imagine there are plenty of people who are living through "hell" on earth right now.

I think my personal skateboard hell would be going on tour with Aaron Kyro, Mikey Taylor, Borra, the mudman, and Jagger Eaton.

I have a super religious family member who always tells me, "Well God will sort it out when they die. God is the ultimate judge." It is weird. The whole heaven/hell fairy tell is supposed to keep people in line, but it is often used as an excuse to let shitty people keep being shitty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ONlH9ieqgc
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:33:49 AM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 01:14:58 AM »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 01:26:07 AM »
as a young a boy i very much enjoyed the film Little Nicky. that was a fun hell.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

bust.factor

• Rep: 20
  • Madvillain Bistro Bed and Breakfast Bar and Grill
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 03:37:37 AM »
Go around the room and say 3 things about yourself

Fhk

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 03:55:58 AM »
Go around the room and say 3 things about yourself
This guy knows the pain

Complements4U

• Rep: 397
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 04:05:24 AM »
Make more stuff in house, food quality is terrible. Everybody remembers the style of donuts and bagels, so when you go to frozen stuff shipped to hell everyone notices. The food just tastes bad. Heaven actually cooks a real egg for your egg sandwich. It's not all about the coffee flavor. Also, need more depth in the products that they have now, rather than adding random stuff like shitty chicken sandwiches or French toast sandwiches. More depth in the staple sandwiches, better ingredients, little choices, more flavor. Most of hells problems honestly come down to the crappy ingredients that are objectively worse than before, the sandwich bread is bland everything is bland and never fully toasted. It's always soggy. Just use better ingredients and make certain items in house, make the donuts in house at least.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 04:11:41 AM »
i don't think there is a place like this. people are living through their personal hells on earth for sure though. but i don't think that our soul gets judged after death and then eventually gets sent to this place that is handmade for torture.

one thing i thought about lately was what if those proverbial 21g that people say leave you when you die(your soul) is made up of dark matter and dying just means joining the dark matter part of the universe.

i guess the closest thing to hell in real life would be the cold endstate of the universe. it's total darkness and entropy and a state where nothing can happen anymore, even the flow of time will have basically stopped.

EDIT: another thing that i find hellish is the concept of gholas from the dune saga. they are copies of dead people and posess the memory of their former bodies death. that sounds extremely traumatizing. the dune saga has a lot of hellish concepts. the beings giving birth to the gholas and the tleilaxu in general are the atrophied remains of their females that have been biologically reengineered to be nothing more but passive breeding chambers. it's super fucked.

in the video game soma, (spoilers ahead) the protagonist remains the only person left on a ruined earth on the ground of the sea in a dilapidated undersea station with no way to escape or die. he can't kill himself because he inhabits a robot body which gets automatically healed up, and if he'd manage to wipe his mind the a.i. that remains on earth would just reupload him from a copy per protocol. he's forced to stay forever alone on the ground of the ocean until the sun eats the earth. i think that's pretty hellish.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 05:59:14 AM »
Fun fact - Hell doesn't really appear in the bible at all. They had to come back with that shit later to try and beef up the flock by scaring people

mushroom slice

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 07:34:04 AM »
Earth exists in the lowest level of heaven and the highest level of hell. They intersect in our reality. Make the most of your time here. You pick if it is heaven or hell. Choose wisely.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 08:10:10 AM »
Wow... This has potential for one hell of a thread....

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 08:22:59 AM »
Huis clos but there is an exit

L’inferne c’est les autres ouai shartre but we hinder ourselves

I think about how close some people are to the next realm

Borders aren’t real money is fake we are one

Hawk and crow exist on the beach together but not

Some people I know, I know they’re gonna have to reincarnate a couple of times. Obsessed with the material. Immediate goals. Pursuit of pleasures. Not at peace.

I think I have a couple of lifetimes to go still.

Dude I do think that skateboarding has me focused on the material world and is bogging me down. My concern with and consumption of an image, buying and accruing material goods and judging others for their choices of consumer goods is superficial and is anchoring me to this realm.  Is this, hellride?

nothing's been the since same

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 08:24:34 AM »
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2021, 08:34:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Hell is other people.
[close]

that look he gives you when you look like a crab to him

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2021, 09:04:53 AM »
hell ghost ride the whip

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2021, 09:46:12 AM »

i just taught Dante's Inferno last semester, so this shit is pretty fresh in my head--this is how he portrays the bottom circle of hell where satan actually lurks

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2021, 09:52:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hell is other people.
[close]

[close]

that look he gives you when you look like a crab to him

One eye on deconstructing morality and one eye on the streets.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2021, 09:54:13 AM »
i just taught Dante's Inferno last semester, so this shit is pretty fresh in my head--this is how he portrays the bottom circle of hell where satan actually lurks

^That shit’s pretty fucking cool.

It’s weird though that Penn and Teller (magicians) apparently are going to a way deeper part of hell than Osama bin Laden (mass murderer).... if I’m reading that right.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2021, 10:13:04 AM »
at this time in my life, what scares me most is that when you die, it’s over .. times up .. thinking about life moving on without me gives me panic anxiety and i don’t like going their in my mind

i envy people that are religious and believe in an afterlife but i also think those people are borderline stupid with naivety

id like to believe in reincarnation through decomposition but even that is far fetched
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2021, 10:28:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

^That shit’s pretty fucking cool.

It’s weird though that Penn and Teller (magicians) apparently are going to a way deeper part of hell than Osama bin Laden (mass murderer).... if I’m reading that right.

you know, it is crazy as hell (edit: hah, no pun intended) how complex Dante's circles are, as well as how (and why) he prioritizes the sins...has a lot to do with Florentine politics of his time--for instance, it was pretty fucking radical of him to populate parts of hell with popes and politicians.

there are better renderings of this map actually but i do recommend reading Inferno and it is free here at Project Gutenberg:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1001/1001-h/1001-h.htm

my personal favorite is Circle One and "The Virtuous Pagans and the Unbaptized," where Homer and all of the poets and philosophers are stuck...Virgil is actually Dante's guide through hell and purgatory, but can't get into Paradiso because he's not baptized...i love how when Dante and Virgil first arrive at this first circle after passing through the "Gate of Hell" (y'all know it's inscription, "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"), the first thing they hear from all of the scholars, artists, poets, and philosophers are a bunch of "sighs":

"...There, as it seemed to me from listening,
  Were lamentations none, but only sighs,
  That tremble made the everlasting air.

And this arose from sorrow without torment,
  Which the crowds had, that many were and great,
  Of infants and of women and of men..."

mushroom slice

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2021, 10:47:16 AM »
at this time in my life, what scares me most is that when you die, it’s over .. times up .. thinking about life moving on without me gives me panic anxiety and i don’t like going their in my mind

i envy people that are religious and believe in an afterlife but i also think those people are borderline stupid with naivety

id like to believe in reincarnation through decomposition but even that is far fetched
I used to worry about what happens when I die. It would keep me up at night. I eventually came to the conclusion that I was already dead. I think I died about 15 years ago in a car accident.  This last 15 years has all been in my head. some how in the last little bits of brain activity I have stretched time. I think I can make it last forever.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2021, 11:52:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I used to worry about what happens when I die. It would keep me up at night. I eventually came to the conclusion that I was already dead. I think I died about 15 years ago in a car accident.  This last 15 years has all been in my head. some how in the last little bits of brain activity I have stretched time. I think I can make it last forever.

so what happens when you die in this timeline
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

mushroom slice

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2021, 12:20:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

so what happens when you die in this timeline

that is where it gets confusing. Time only exists inside us. We don’t exist in time. There is no line. Just think of where you go every night when you dream. It’s just like that when you die. Nothing to be worried about.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2021, 12:25:56 PM »
If the only things we have to do is die and pay taxes, then that means when we die we are absolved from any responsibilities.

And so, when we die we can gallivant about like unsupervised 6 year olds.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2021, 01:25:05 PM »
I'm extremely interested in religions/ mythology/ heaven / hell / life / death. Most of my tattoos are based on these topics, including art from "Paradise Lost". I was not raised religious at all, my dad was a biker and was just like "it is what it is, time is short" etc. BUT, as a little kid, I'd watch those movies like "Jason & the Argonauts", "7th Voyage of Sinbad", and then the original "Clash of the Titans". I think I was 5 when that came out, but I thought the stories were awesome. Fast forward a few years, me and a friend were playing with Clash of the Titans toys, when he asks me if I know about Odin. I didn't have a clue, and he pulled out this book: "D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths" (will tell more about that in a minute). Anyway, the stories about Odin, Thor, and especially Loki blew my mind, plus the art was awesome. Shit is etched in my mind. This was all like 1983.

So in 2002 my dad died in a shitty way, and I tried to wrap my head around all of this life/ death stuff and more or less "acceptance". I would talk to him in my mind, in hopes of hearing him talk back to me, which never happened. He is in my dreams randomly, sometimes its like 1989, sometimes in current times. But its always something like fixing a refrigerator together or shit like that. Still pretty unsure of my ideas on all of this. I was still partying pretty hard for about another decade and my thoughts had always been "this is it, you live then you die and its over". I spent my 5 years in New Zealand reading about a lot of different religions, mythology and Jesus documentaries, "mysteries of the Bible" etc. etc. Watched Zeitgeist a bunch of times. I find this stuff fascinating, especially older cultures. The worshipping of the sun. Logical vs Faith explanations. I feel like a lot of these stories were created to sort of create a "common sense" on rights and wrongs, initially, but then over time, as religion gained power, a lot of it became corrupted (like most things).

I have tattoos of Icarus with Daedalus, Death riding down to take a lost soul, and the soul trying to fend him off, Loki (not the Marvel version), Lucifer being cast from Heaven, the battle for Heaven, and also Satan on a throne holding a crown of human bones. Long story short: The battle of rights vs wrongs, consequences for ones actions and the fear of death. I also have Vita (life) and Mors (Death) tattooed on my fingers (I never say ''knuckles" for that, seems wrong). It took me a long time to "accept" (for lack of a better word) that I fear death, and I fear it because of the unknown, will I see my dad again, can I watch over my son, will my son be okay, will I just not know its over, will I be stuck in dreamland (not Bob Burnquist's) , etc. And I realized that people that DO believe in this stuff, do not fear it like I do, because they believe they will be somewhere. And I do not. And I also find the idea that "this is it" to be almost.. uh, disappointing I guess.

I have had a lot of coincidences over the years that stick with me. For examples: I had a dream about my grandpa where I basically replayed every memory I have of him throughout the whole dream, and when I woke up, my mom was waiting there to tell me he had passed away. The day I found out I was going to be a dad - New Year's Day 2014: I was extremely hung over, and me and my wife went for a walk and the topic was basically "Life seeming pretty pointless, just what movie to watch, whats for dinner, are we going to the thing, seems like there should be more. Feel very hollow". An hour later, she starts bleeding profusely and we go to the hospital. Turns out she is pregnant and on the verge of losing our son. They put her on bed rest and for some reason, I just know that he will be fine (he turns 7 this year). So I got my something more. Not as serious, but I mentioned it earlier. So the book that the kid showed me when were 7. As I got older, I wanted to find that book because I could not remember the name. Randomly looked for years. Had not seen that guy since graduation. When my son was 7 months old, I went to the post office with my mom for some reason. We ran into the guys mom, had not seen her since 1994 (This was 2014). She told me what he was up to, and so forth. I even mentioned to her about the book he showed me back then and how awesome I thought it was, and showed her my Loki tattoo. The next day, we took my son to Barnes & Noble, and the book was in a stack on a table. Was psyched.

So my 40th birthday didn't bother me, got some H-Street reissue shit and felt good. 41 just hits different. Around my son's 3rd birthday, I woke up and out of nowhere just thought "Whoa, I'm going to die some day". I don't think I'd ever really thought about it ..like seriously. Then other thoughts: "I wonder if this is the last time I'll watch this movie. whoa, why did I just think that?". Just a lot of realizations that it is impending and I hope I'm ready to go when it happens. Mostly hope that I know my son will be okay and that I hope I see him grown up and that he can handle himself alright. I'm not an atheist, I'd say I'm more agnostic (front, oi oi oi). If I can be proven wrong, I'm open to it, but logically, its hard for me to accept these things.

Sorry I wrote so much, Rodney Mullen'ed this topic all the way to just say "I don't really believe in Heaven or Hell, but it would make the end a lot more interesting."

Quit sinnin', escape Hell

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2021, 01:41:15 PM »
Quit sinnin', escape Hell

I read through your whole (very interesting) post, wondering when you would drop this.