• Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
Re: Hell
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2021, 01:51:51 PM »
I looked up at the title of the topic again and thought of Lennie Kirk

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2021, 02:05:37 PM »
i have appreciated people's posts in here thus far--including your honest and thoughtful post Boomer (all of which i too read) but also Straight's above and the whole question of what happens after death.

i've never been able to believe in something like heaven and hell--it just seems absurd for humans to try to use our limited and myopic experiences here on earth to try to conceptualize and/or visualize something that would have to be so beyond our comprehension and experience...and intuition just seems to reinforce this belief for me as i get older. i'm not saying we don't sense or feel what happens to those we love after, i just can't buy that we could picture it or understand it.

as i mentioned a month or two ago, we lost my mother to COVID this past October--she was 77 and i will be 50 in April. i've lost a lot of people over the years, friends and family (both of my parents and an awesome stepfather are gone, and so are all of my grandparents), and none of those deaths have hit me like my mother's did this last October. i too have experienced similar things to what Boomer calls "coincidences" (for lack of a better term) over the years that have made me feel that these people are with me in very real ways...

...but NOTHING up to this point has told me that "this can not be it" more than my mother's death. in a very intuitive and/or instinctual (spiritual?) way, as i continue to handle all of the things there are to handle after losing a parent at this later stage in life, and going through all of the things that tie me and my sister and my aunt to her, and going through photos, and all of the other material manifestations of how much we shared, experienced, and went through together, i have never felt so really and essentially that my near 50 years with her could possibly "be it." i hope that makes sense.

all of that being said, i wouldn't even begin to think that i could visualize or understand how all of this works beyond the world we share...and who knows, maybe this is some weird blurred stage of grief i'm experiencing...but instinctually, that just does not seem to explain how i've felt the past few months.

sorry if this strays pretty far from the talk of "hell." some thought-provoking posts in this thread...

augustmoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2021, 05:47:22 PM »
i think if a hell exists, we're in it now.  just think about the nature of life...animals exist just to be torn apart and eaten by other animals.  we spend our whole lives contemplating our inevitable death.  if we're lucky to love others, we might live long enough to watch them wither and die, or they watch us die and have to deal with the loss.  sure there are moments of beauty and happiness, but they're fleeting and never last. 

i don't mean to come off as overly cynical.  ultimately I think the universe is chaos and we are an accident, but if there is a god that sees fit to sentence you to eternal pain and torment for the simple crime of not believing in him, then i think that god is fundamentally evil. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2021, 06:02:14 PM »
I stumbled on this video and thought it was pretty thought provoking.  I’m not religious, but it’s interesting to see what a serious, thoughtful Catholic has to say about this stuff, regardless if I personally agree with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8zhnooySk4&feature=share

If you can get over the fact that he’s got that priest collar on, I think he’s got a fascinating take.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2021, 07:18:24 AM »
I stumbled on this video and thought it was pretty thought provoking.  I’m not religious, but it’s interesting to see what a serious, thoughtful Catholic has to say about this stuff, regardless if I personally agree with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8zhnooySk4&feature=share

If you can get over the fact that he’s got that priest collar on, I think he’s got a fascinating take.

a good listen, and kind of surprising with regards to his point about freedom. admittedly, it's been a long time since i was near a bible or any wholehearted catholics, but for some reason that point about humans being free--or in other words, human's having autonomy and agency despite god's omnipotence, omnipresence, and omniscience--actually brought to mind a deist perspective which views things like this:

"belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe. The term is used chiefly of an intellectual movement of the 17th and 18th centuries [the European Enlightenment] that accepted the existence of a creator on the basis of reason but rejected belief in a supernatural deity who interacts with humankind."

since this is a younger theologian, who is not only willing to listen to someone like George Carlin but even willing to entertain and consider his material, i wonder if this isn't an example of a newer, more accommodating (out of necessity for survival) catholicism?

either way, thanks for sharing this...definitely more relatable than i would have assumed...

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2021, 03:17:04 PM »
I'm not going to get into my religious/spiritual beliefs here, but suffice it to say that a god who imposes eternal conscious torment on individuals for something that happened during their finite existence is unquestionably omnimalevolent and absolutely does not warrant reverence. It is also quite obvious that most believers in a hell of eternal conscious torment believe in it because it pleases them to imagine the people they deem worthy of such a fate having to endure it.  It would never occur to them that they might be among the tormented, ironically a demonstration of invincible pride, which itself warrants hell according to those same people. 

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2021, 06:54:52 PM »
a god who imposes eternal conscious torment on individuals for something that happened during their finite existence is unquestionably omnimalevolent and absolutely does not warrant reverence.

Hope that’s not the case.  Sounds like one mother fucker you don’t want to piss off.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2021, 09:08:34 PM »
@Monkey_Mcpott

H E Double hockey sticks is very heckride. Feel free to use.

Also, I noticed you have good art from doublesteveburger.  I was thinking of a logo that would work and either a hand or little kid flipping someone off with their ring finger would be super heckride.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2021, 10:34:23 PM »
@Monkey_Mcpott

Also, I noticed you have good art from doublesteveburger.  I was thinking of a logo that would work and either a hand or little kid flipping someone off with their ring finger would be super heckride.

Wow! Haha

Those would make some great stickers

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2021, 11:05:14 PM »
Expand Quote
@Monkey_Mcpott

[close]

Wow! Haha

Those would make some great stickers

hehehe
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2021, 08:13:51 AM »
This thread has turned out to be a very pleasant side track from the usual “Who’s of which sponsor” discussion I’m accustomed to, and while I don’t have anything to contribute at the moment, I am grateful that y’all were here with me last night as I drifted off to sleep, and again when I arose to start my new day in my own, fun, little Hell.
Thank you, PALS, for keeping my mental gears turning.
Shalom.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2021, 08:41:21 AM »
since i brought Dante into this, i figured i'd share a resource that i draw from when teaching Inferno. Digital Dante is this incredible collection of material amassed and curated by Columbia University--here's a link to the homepage:

https://digitaldante.columbia.edu/

i feel like any conversation about what Hell (capital H) might look and/or feel like would have to at least gesture towards Dante and his  Inferno, because i'm not sure anyone else has gone to so much trouble to envision it (funny enough, the movie Constantine also comes to mind here).

anyway, when i teach it, i always bring in Sandow Birk's illustrations of The Divine Comedy, because he reads it through a 21st century urban lens--for instance:

even my students who aren't especially feeling the actual poem, usually get drawn into Birk's illustrations using modern American consumerism and urbanism to depict Dante's circles of hell, especially all of the black-and-white ones dealing with specific circles of hell, which can be found here:

https://digitaldante.columbia.edu/image/birk-illustrations/inferno/

each of Birk's images here, are juxtaposed with Gustave Dore's famous illustrations too, which provides a really interesting contrast...

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2021, 10:07:18 AM »
Thanks for the Inferno info and links Deputy, I'm gonna try and find myself a french edition with the Doré illustrations
Been meaning to read it for a while but I was a bit put off by the idea that it's a poem

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2021, 10:41:03 AM »
Thanks for the Inferno info and links Deputy, I'm gonna try and find myself a french edition with the Doré illustrations
Been meaning to read it for a while but I was a bit put off by the idea that it's a poem

cheers Jean...and it's funny once you start reading it and realize how kind of provincial Dante's vision of Hell is, because he really does populate it with a lot of random historical figures from Florence and Italy who he had beefs with--he wrote The Divine Comedy while he was in exile in fact, so it gets pretty petty at points.

as much as i enjoy teaching it, i never feel i do it justice, at least partly because of how much it is tied to Florentine and Italian politics and religion of his time...his meticulous detail when it comes to the punishments for individual sins (how the punishments perpetuate/mirror the sin eternally) and the way he prioritizes the sins is what i usually aim at--and of course, trying to bring our own times and places into conversation with all of this...

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2021, 04:31:01 PM »
Hell is pea gravel and soggy broken tail board with bent truck's and mismatched wheels.

Dueces Bitch's

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2021, 05:12:13 PM »
This thread has turned out to be a very pleasant side track from the usual “Who’s of which sponsor” discussion I’m accustomed to, and while I don’t have anything to contribute at the moment, I am grateful that y’all were here with me last night as I drifted off to sleep, and again when I arose to start my new day in my own, fun, little Hell.
Shalom.

Yeah, wouldn’t have expected someone on here to be a scholar of Dante’s Inferno.  Especially impressive that he can juggle it with his career in law enforcement.

Stay tuned for more deep intellectual stimulation with my next thread: “Which Bratz Doll Would You Most Want to Bang?”

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2021, 05:30:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Shalom.
[close]

Yeah, wouldn’t have expected someone on here to be a scholar of Dante’s Inferno.  Especially impressive that he can juggle it with his career in law enforcement.

Stay tuned for more deep intellectual stimulation with my next thread: “Which Bratz Doll Would You Most Want to Bang?”

don't think for a minute it is easy, and the two endeavors often overlap with all of the "hell on earth" kinds of things a deputy has to deal with in these especially trying times--luckily i have Sheriff Ed Tom's help with the especially disheartening stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ChuzigwVig

...although he and his generation of lawmen seem to be increasingly overwhelmed themselves these days ("how do you defend against it?")...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk6LBQMPBWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEsao0tzmqU
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 06:34:02 AM by Deputy Wendell »