Author Topic: Pro Skateboarders who came from nothing  (Read 2773 times)

Rubbrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 140
Re: Pro Skateboarders who came from nothing
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2021, 05:31:01 AM »
Thee thee Beasley

Gideon Choi

• Rep: 33
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2021, 10:44:56 AM »
Chad Muska - Trailer hopping with his dad as kid between Arizona and Vegas, and then living as a beach bum in San Diego as a teenager. His Epicly Later'd was pretty cool.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2021, 06:51:54 PM »
Lately I'm following Daveed now that he lives in Medellin, I really like his day-to-day there, somehow it is more enjoyable to me than his US footage, more authentic I guess, I don't know, it connects with something & maybe it's that, he's a former SOTY that came from a really heavy environment, lots of violence with the Cartel & etc on Medallo in the 90s, he was chasing sponsors being a really little kid to pay rent, this is well documented. I feel empathy for him being a rockstar (pun intended) on his hometown, he's hooking people with product & giving stuff for free to little kids with the worst set up. He's cool on my book.

Also, the Felipe Gustavo story...his dad sold his car so he can go to Tampa but I was watching a Tampa Pro clip on Youtube "behind the scenes" from 2019 & he was casually dropping the n word all around...not cool at all.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2021, 07:01:56 PM »
felipe is canceled and that’s the tea

ghettygreensili

• Rep: -9
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2021, 07:07:47 PM »
I heard a story of Marc Johnson moving to California with nothing but 40$ from his Mom. That's hesh
Frontside grind blind on the government

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2021, 07:12:30 PM »

Lately I'm following Daveed now that he lives in Medellin, I really like his day-to-day there, somehow it is more enjoyable to me than his US footage, more authentic I guess, I don't know, it connects with something & maybe it's that, he's a former SOTY that came from a really heavy environment, lots of violence with the Cartel & etc on Medallo in the 90s, he was chasing sponsors being a really little kid to pay rent, this is well documented. I feel empathy for him being a rockstar (pun intended) on his hometown, he's hooking people with product & giving stuff for free to little kids with the worst set up. He's cool on my book.

I love that the person who actually contributes to the thread (pablo) has a negative score rating, while cky_douchiest who decrees his opinion as rule has a positive rating.

B-A-N-A-N-A-S
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2021, 07:18:15 PM »
James Kelch moving from Ohio to sleep at EMB is pretty fucking raw.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2021, 07:43:37 PM »
Harold, Keenan, Steven Cales
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Tuff Lover

• Rep: 4
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2021, 08:34:34 PM »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2021, 04:51:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

I love that the person who actually contributes to the thread (pablo) has a negative score rating, while cky_douchiest who decrees his opinion as rule has a positive rating.

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

everything you read on slap should be taken 1000% seriously

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2021, 05:17:58 AM »
A friend of mine once told me how he bust a nut from just kissing a girl once. He's not pro but got flowed boards once or twice.

HappytobeHere

• Rep: 1
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2021, 05:52:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Fred Gall clearly didn't come from money.
[close]

That's because Fred Gall is money
"He who wants to have solutions for everything, must give up reflection, so as to have them ready made. But in that case they will not really be solutions for anything"

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2021, 08:01:30 AM »
One of the cool things about skateboarding is that it’s a relatively young sport with a pretty low barrier to entry. That makes it really accessible for poor kids compared with the facilities and equipment you need for other sports, plus the infrastructure of coaching in other sports. So there are a lot of pros who came from nothing.

It sucks that this is starting to change now that rich kids get private TFs and trips to Woodward to train them for SLS or whatever. For example in Alexis Sablone’s Bunt interview she was talking about going to a New England boarding school and meeting pros at Woodward. Love her skating, and she seems cool, but it’s a sign that pros who are millennial or younger are becoming more well-to-do and raising the bar for coaching/performance. Oh well.

Brguy

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2021, 10:52:58 AM »
One of the cool things about skateboarding is that it’s a relatively young sport with a pretty low barrier to entry. That makes it really accessible for poor kids compared with the facilities and equipment you need for other sports, plus the infrastructure of coaching in other sports. So there are a lot of pros who came from nothing.

It sucks that this is starting to change now that rich kids get private TFs and trips to Woodward to train them for SLS or whatever. For example in Alexis Sablone’s Bunt interview she was talking about going to a New England boarding school and meeting pros at Woodward. Love her skating, and she seems cool, but it’s a sign that pros who are millennial or younger are becoming more well-to-do and raising the bar for coaching/performance. Oh well.
The good bit is that all you really need to become a god in a skateboard is good enough parts and shoes, sometimes not even that as several pros prove it to be and skateboarding in general is really charity oriented, old stuff just gets passed around until it becomes unusable, once I got a pair of indys that went through 5 people before me, for example(and I fucking broke them lol). Also when you're really good or people or shops/brands will hook you up, which gives way for the ones who really want it.