Author Topic: Brandon Westgate must come of Element on Real  (Read 5617 times)

Wandalumioshlomo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -21
Brandon Westgate must come of Element on Real
« on: March 02, 2021, 07:47:41 AM »
Seems like element is losing it. Real is kind of a natural fit for him.
What u think? is he gonna stay on ship and be part of a new cpr indused Element reincarnation.
Does he even have the opportunity to be where he deserves to be (not necessarily Real, could be Krooked ;))

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
Re: Brandon Westgate must come of Element on Real
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 07:57:47 AM »
I’d say keep cashing those element Cheques while they’re still (probably) fat. Everyone still loves him and he gets respect while riding for one of the most hated brands. I mean how long was he on Zoo York for? I think he likes riding for deck brands that are former shells of themselves. Once it implodes or he gets cut he’d have no problem getting on another brand.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 07:58:42 AM »

Hmm...be lost in the sea of Real Pros or stay lost in the sea of Element Pros...he is basically the top dude at Element,I'm sure he is comfy- otherwise he would have left around the same time others did.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:23:21 AM by Francis Xavier »

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 08:02:21 AM »
Homie just needs a fat check, as mentioned before he's never ridden for good board companies (nor has he needed them) and still has been producing and killing shit. I mean mid-2000s Birdhouse, then Zoo when it was wack, and then Element not really the dopest board brands.

CHUTNi

• Rep: -2
  • People who only shitpost on alt accounts are weak.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 08:13:23 AM »
Seems like element is losing it. Real is kind of a natural fit for him.
What u think? is he gonna stay on ship and be part of a new cpr indused Element reincarnation.
Does he even have the opportunity to be where he deserves to be (not necessarily Real, could be Krooked ;))

Could see Westgate on semi-retirement after his element contract.  Casually repping 5boro again while maintaining his cranberry farm
A
S
L

You up lol?

AfterBlackEnderEnder

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 08:15:04 AM »
That part was sick but he’s in the twilight of his career, at this point, and he has a comfortable paycheck at Element. The only thing that truly needs changing is your thread title.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 08:27:20 AM »
Homie just needs a fat check, as mentioned before he's never ridden for good board companies (nor has he needed them) and still has been producing and killing shit. I mean mid-2000s Birdhouse, then Zoo when it was wack, and then Element not really the dopest board brands.

Naw, there was hot minute, that ZooYork was the shit Forrest, Westgate, Zerred, KT, Eli, Matt Miller, Barely and Ortiz. I wanna say from 2009 to 2011. Post Zooyork footwear era, but pre "why do we need to pay skateboarders?" era. They really had it together. Right before and right after State of mind came out.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 08:37:23 AM »
Good GOD NO! lol  I could see this tho for sure tho. I'd rather see him on Plan B that Real. Real needs to get it together. I guess you don't have to when you have Ishod.

Could see Westgate on semi-retirement after his element contract.  Casually repping 5boro again while maintaining his cranberry farm

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 08:38:32 AM »
Westgate seems like he gives zero shit about what’s cool in skateboarding. Nothing wrong with that.

If I had to guess he values decent paychecks and having a loose leash more than anything, just based on his sponsorship history. Real would be dope, but would he be impressed by that company’s legacy?

Having a former pro with strong convictions on what skateboarding should be as his boss probably doesn’t move him the way it does for dudes who want core sponsors.

Mr Cheese Resurrection

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 08:41:15 AM »
Westgate on Creature would be........ I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico. Your 2019 NBA Champions, The Toronto Raptors!!!!!!!!!....... Westgate has a fun bar scene in Glendale Arizona..... Timber the tree is falling!!!!!........ Westgate would be a sick fit on.........Texas Rangers lost back to back World Series in the early 2010s...... Westgate should go to Creature

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 08:42:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Naw, there was hot minute, that ZooYork was the shit Forrest, Westgate, Zerred, KT, Eli, Matt Miller, Barely and Ortiz. I wanna say from 2009 to 2011. Post Zooyork footwear era, but pre "why do we need to pay skateboarders?" era. They really had it together. Right before and right after State of mind came out.

Yeah, I would agree with that. There was a little window of time right around State of Mind that Zoo was dope again. That video is so good. My favourite Zered part. Ron Deily! Eli before he started dancing. First legit introduction to Westgate.

And no, Westgate does not need to be on Real. Tbh, it would seem weird. If he weren't on Element, I could see him riding for Habitat or someone like that maybe.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 08:48:56 AM »
Natty K

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 08:49:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, I would agree with that. There was a little window of time right around State of Mind that Zoo was dope again. That video is so good. My favourite Zered part. Ron Deily! Eli before he started dancing. First legit introduction to Westgate.

And no, Westgate does not need to be on Real. Tbh, it would seem weird. If he weren't on Element, I could see him riding for Habitat or someone like that maybe.
Dnag I actually forgot about that, I retract my statement he was on Zoo when it was dope. I used to watch State of Mind all the time and suscribed to their video podcast they had really good content.

The only acceptable answer for me would if he went to Toy Machine. But as stated before it seems like he does not give a flying fuck about whats cool.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 08:50:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Dnag I actually forgot about that, I retract my statement he was on Zoo when it was dope. I used to watch State of Mind all the time and suscribed to their video podcast they had really good content.

The only acceptable answer for me would if he went to Toy Machine. But as stated before it seems like he does not give a flying fuck about whats cool.
if thats the case then toy works too!

cookiecuttersuburb

• Rep: -20
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 08:51:43 AM »
Dudes getting comfy checks plus he has his cranberry operation. He’s doing just fine as is.

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 08:54:21 AM »
Good GOD NO! lol  I could see this tho for sure tho. I'd rather see him on Plan B that Real. Real needs to get it together. I guess you don't have to when you have Ishod.

Expand Quote
[close]

I mean, I don't disagree that Real's team is huge, but in what way does Real need to "get it together"? They just put on the guy who won SOTY, their distribution is probably the most respected in the industry, they have Busenitz, TVV is amazing to watch, pretty sure they still hook up Antoine Asselin, Ishod like you mentioned, the list goes on. Why would you rather see someone as dope as Westgate on a dumpster fire brand like PLan B? I understand that some of Real's art direction is boring, but it doesn't even come close to the garbage put out by Plan B.

Think of it this way, who would you rather see Westgate skate with: Leticia, Joslin and Pat Duffy; or Ishod, Mason and Busenitz?

I don't even think he would fit on Real that well, but what you're saying is ridiculous.

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 08:55:14 AM »
Real already has their own version of Brandon Westgate.  His name is Mason Silva

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2021, 08:58:49 AM »
Real already has their own version of Brandon Westgate.  His name is Mason Silva FredGallSOTY

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2021, 09:00:49 AM »
Didn't he say somewhere that he's more focused on providing for his family instead of jumping to a better brand?  He's the last man standing at Element since Nyjah and his tights left, amongst other people.  Might as well get that check, plus that New Balance money.  He's got the right idea.  Sidebar, but him being a cranberry farm heir is pretty sweet.

IpathCats

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2021, 09:18:55 AM »
Would be cool to see him on some core east coast shit. 5boro, scumco, CODA. He definitely wouldn't be making anywhere near that element money though.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2021, 09:26:24 AM »
Didn't he say somewhere that he's more focused on providing for his family instead of jumping to a better brand?  He's the last man standing at Element since Nyjah and his tights left, amongst other people.  Might as well get that check, plus that New Balance money.  He's got the right idea.  Sidebar, but him being a cranberry farm heir is pretty sweet.
Nyjah and his merry men

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Grind King Rims

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2021, 09:37:47 AM »

Hmm...be lost in the sea of Real Pros or stay lost in the sea of Element Pros...he is basically the top dude at Element,I'm sure he is comfy- otherwise he would have left around the same time others did.

Wow, he actually is. You could argue Appleyard or Jaakko, but it seems like Westgate is in a league of his own there right now.

https://elementbrand.com/team/

But yeah, the obvious answer is that he doesn't care about what's cool as long as he's getting paid (as evidence by his working with Berries, CCS, AllIneedskate [his homie]). And I can't fault him for that at all.

I'm just happy he's getting paid and still ripping.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2021, 09:43:32 AM »
Westgate is really good but Real doesn’t need him- they’ve got three SOTYs that are all still really productive, plus TVV, Zion, Busenitz and Chima. I’m not trying to take away from Westgate but the current Real team is one of the best teams ever and it doesn’t seem like jumping to Real to be the number 4 or 5 guy there makes sense for him either.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2021, 09:56:09 AM »
Westgate would get lost on Real. I’d definitely rather see him stand out on something like Toy Machine whenever he leaves Element. I know it was a few years ago, but I remember Leo basically said in an interview he helped conduct with Brandon that he has an open invite on Toy whenever he wants it. 

After FA started and before AWS imploded, when it seemed they were going to try to make it work with Gilbert, Jake, Tyler, and Omar, I thought it would be cool to have Westgate on there. So maybe throw everyone off and put him on Quasi? It seems like they like to let their riders be themselves and control how they want to skate and for their skating to be shown and it’s working for them.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2021, 09:58:35 AM »
For some reason I very briefly thought west gate was on Quasi and so now my brain forever associates him with quasi. I don’t see that actually ever happening but I would not be opposed to seeing him on that crew

GreggPopovich

• Rep: -44
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2021, 10:00:19 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I mean, I don't disagree that Real's team is huge, but in what way does Real need to "get it together"? They just put on the guy who won SOTY, their distribution is probably the most respected in the industry, they have Busenitz, TVV is amazing to watch, pretty sure they still hook up Antoine Asselin, Ishod like you mentioned, the list goes on. Why would you rather see someone as dope as Westgate on a dumpster fire brand like PLan B? I understand that some of Real's art direction is boring, but it doesn't even come close to the garbage put out by Plan B.

Think of it this way, who would you rather see Westgate skate with: Leticia, Joslin and Pat Duffy; or Ishod, Mason and Busenitz?

I don't even think he would fit on Real that well, but what you're saying is ridiculous.

Westgate has reached a height the only way he could generate more visibility is going the && route and started organically connecting with people more. It does not really fucking matter from a monetary perspective I bet because I guarantee Deluxe would salary match, so from his standpoint business wise, then it becomes a visibility standpoint unless his other sponsors are coupled(like FA and modern shoes, Lakai with Girl, etc.) because the price difference comes down to royalties. Why do you guys think Lebron did not consider my spurs? NBA players get paid on jersey royalty unlike other pro sports leagues, so he's gonna pick the biggest media market.

At least with element he does not have to compete with Ishod, Kwalks, or whoever's money, and his visbility is less. why in his right mind would he go to real? The only logical option he would have at his level would to go into intellectual property for himself, IE instagram and social media visbility, and his OWN branding. if he did in fact want to achieve more financially.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2021, 10:06:03 AM »
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

IpathCats

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2021, 10:14:47 AM »
Quasi would be a cool fit for him too. I agree with that sentiment.

ballintoohard

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2021, 10:22:50 AM »
I don't care what brand he rides, but like that he's always done his own thing and has not given a shit about navigating the dumbfuckery of the skate scene.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2021, 10:35:53 AM »
he seems to have total freedom with element. they give him his space to film when and how he pleases. he probably can just grab whatever filmer and take (or not) whatever trips he wants no questions asked. plus he probably never has to worry about the checks being "late" or suspicious accounting.  why would he leave a good thing for a "cool" thing?

in return element gets a self driven skater who can self-promote, never complains, doesn't need special attention, and they never really have to worry about him piling out or saying something dumb shit on social media.   

its a win-win
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.