Author Topic: Brandon Westgate must come of Element on Real  (Read 5600 times)

jorge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
Re: Brandon Westgate must come of Element on Real
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2021, 10:54:39 AM »
Westgate goes big, fast, doesn't care, doesn't produce a ton of footage, and basically owns SF.....
Anti-Hero

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2021, 10:59:57 AM »
I'd be hyped if he was on Terror of Planet X or Metal skateboards

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2021, 11:03:38 AM »
your title gave me a stroke

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2021, 11:07:00 AM »
Outside of 5boro, he's always had pretty terrible board sponsors. He'd fit Real or Toy Machine. But, I'd love to see him on some sick East-coast non-Cali based company like Quasi or Habitat (both are out of Ohio, but have generally sponsored a ton of East-coast based skaters).

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 43
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2021, 12:07:20 PM »
Would buy his Toy Machine board in a second, also, what the fuck happened to Toy Machine?  I wish they were still relevant. 

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -11
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2021, 12:12:26 PM »
If I were him I stay there and milk the good checks and having the freedom to do what I want unless they go under. Actually without Jah the team ain’t to bad at this point. Especially now that Johnny Bongos is gone.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2021, 12:20:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Homie just needs a fat check, as mentioned before he's never ridden for good board companies (nor has he needed them) and still has been producing and killing shit. I mean mid-2000s Birdhouse, then Zoo when it was wack, and then Element not really the dopest board brands.
[close]

Naw, there was hot minute, that ZooYork was the shit Forrest, Westgate, Zerred, KT, Eli, Matt Miller, Barely and Ortiz. I wanna say from 2009 to 2011. Post Zooyork footwear era, but pre "why do we need to pay skateboarders?" era. They really had it together. Right before and right after State of mind came out.
[close]

Yeah, I would agree with that. There was a little window of time right around State of Mind that Zoo was dope again. That video is so good. My favourite Zered part. Ron Deily! Eli before he started dancing. First legit introduction to Westgate.

And no, Westgate does not need to be on Real. Tbh, it would seem weird. If he weren't on Element, I could see him riding for Habitat or someone like that maybe.

Westgate as a skater on Real makes sense to me but Westgate as a person/team rider on Real does not

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2021, 12:28:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Good GOD NO! lol  I could see this tho for sure tho. I'd rather see him on Plan B that Real. Real needs to get it together. I guess you don't have to when you have Ishod.

Expand Quote
Could see Westgate on semi-retirement after his element contract.  Casually repping 5boro again while maintaining his cranberry farm
[close]
[close]

I mean, I don't disagree that Real's team is huge, but in what way does Real need to "get it together"? They just put on the guy who won SOTY, their distribution is probably the most respected in the industry, they have Busenitz, TVV is amazing to watch, pretty sure they still hook up Antoine Asselin, Ishod like you mentioned, the list goes on. Why would you rather see someone as dope as Westgate on a dumpster fire brand like PLan B? I understand that some of Real's art direction is boring, but it doesn't even come close to the garbage put out by Plan B.

Think of it this way, who would you rather see Westgate skate with: Leticia, Joslin and Pat Duffy; or Ishod, Mason and Busenitz?

I don't even think he would fit on Real that well, but what you're saying is ridiculous.
[close]

Westgate has reached a height the only way he could generate more visibility is going the && route and started organically connecting with people more. It does not really fucking matter from a monetary perspective I bet because I guarantee Deluxe would salary match, so from his standpoint business wise, then it becomes a visibility standpoint unless his other sponsors are coupled(like FA and modern shoes, Lakai with Girl, etc.) because the price difference comes down to royalties. Why do you guys think Lebron did not consider my spurs? NBA players get paid on jersey royalty unlike other pro sports leagues, so he's gonna pick the biggest media market.

At least with element he does not have to compete with Ishod, Kwalks, or whoever's money, and his visbility is less. why in his right mind would he go to real? The only logical option he would have at his level would to go into intellectual property for himself, IE instagram and social media visbility, and his OWN branding. if he did in fact want to achieve more financially.

We get it dude. You love &&

Masshole

• Rep: 23
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2021, 12:36:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Homie just needs a fat check, as mentioned before he's never ridden for good board companies (nor has he needed them) and still has been producing and killing shit. I mean mid-2000s Birdhouse, then Zoo when it was wack, and then Element not really the dopest board brands.
[close]

Naw, there was hot minute, that ZooYork was the shit Forrest, Westgate, Zerred, KT, Eli, Matt Miller, Barely and Ortiz. I wanna say from 2009 to 2011. Post Zooyork footwear era, but pre "why do we need to pay skateboarders?" era. They really had it together. Right before and right after State of mind came out.
[close]

Yeah, I would agree with that. There was a little window of time right around State of Mind that Zoo was dope again. That video is so good. My favourite Zered part. Ron Deily! Eli before he started dancing. First legit introduction to Westgate.

And no, Westgate does not need to be on Real. Tbh, it would seem weird. If he weren't on Element, I could see him riding for Habitat or someone like that maybe.
[close]
Dnag I actually forgot about that, I retract my statement he was on Zoo when it was dope. I used to watch State of Mind all the time and suscribed to their video podcast they had really good content.

The only acceptable answer for me would if he went to Toy Machine. But as stated before it seems like he does not give a flying fuck about whats cool.

Their video podcast was the shit, especially the China, SF, and Australia tour videos. Occasionally I'll hear Livin in the Bay by young cellski and be taken back to watching those videos on my ipod on my way to work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2021, 12:36:47 PM »
He’d fit past Toy Machines, not really anymore.  I think the only reason people put him in the TM convo is because he was hanging out with Leo a bunch on Emerica trips many many years ago and Leo wanted him on, but he didnt

michael scarn

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2021, 12:51:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Good GOD NO! lol  I could see this tho for sure tho. I'd rather see him on Plan B that Real. Real needs to get it together. I guess you don't have to when you have Ishod.

Expand Quote
Could see Westgate on semi-retirement after his element contract.  Casually repping 5boro again while maintaining his cranberry farm
[close]
[close]

I mean, I don't disagree that Real's team is huge, but in what way does Real need to "get it together"? They just put on the guy who won SOTY, their distribution is probably the most respected in the industry, they have Busenitz, TVV is amazing to watch, pretty sure they still hook up Antoine Asselin, Ishod like you mentioned, the list goes on. Why would you rather see someone as dope as Westgate on a dumpster fire brand like PLan B? I understand that some of Real's art direction is boring, but it doesn't even come close to the garbage put out by Plan B.

Think of it this way, who would you rather see Westgate skate with: Leticia, Joslin and Pat Duffy; or Ishod, Mason and Busenitz?

I don't even think he would fit on Real that well, but what you're saying is ridiculous.

Forreal does op even realize what year it is? Plan b has been a c list company for a while now.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2213
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2021, 12:52:51 PM »
Westgate goes big, fast, doesn't care, doesn't produce a ton of footage, and basically owns SF.....
Anti-Hero
Yea Bog city, Crantards or Bog Money Vagrant slap if he's in em'

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2021, 12:57:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Anti-Hero
[close]
Yea Bog city, Crantards or Bog Money Vagrant slap if he's in em'

He can rep 18 like he’s Johnny Damon

Icandoflamingoes

• Rep: 1
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2021, 01:16:02 PM »
Surely he’s just still there thanks to contract timing or having signed a longer one than others,
or he goes to alien cos I think he could fit there

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2021, 01:27:22 PM »
With how fickle the skate industry can be, I say just let him rip and get paid.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2021, 01:30:22 PM »
Serious question: Does Element stay profitable by being some kind of lifestyle brand now, or what? Because practically no one skates Element boards as far as I can tell, but I also don't just see regular people out in the wild wearing Element stuff.  How do they make money to pay a skate team?

Brguy

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2021, 01:36:02 PM »
Would buy his Toy Machine board in a second, also, what the fuck happened to Toy Machine?  I wish they were still relevant.
Their team is kinda relevant but somehow not related to the company at all, mostly through the shoe sponsors. The ones I remember are Leo and Provost for Emerica and Dan for Vans. I think the only one that brought any attention to it was Axel, I don't recall seeing him in anything not related to Toy.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1293
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2021, 01:39:34 PM »
Real already has had 3 of their own version of Brandon Westgate. His Their name(s) is were Huf, Busenitz, and Mason Silva

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2021, 01:51:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Their team is kinda relevant but somehow not related to the company at all, mostly through the shoe sponsors. The ones I remember are Leo and Provost for Emerica and Dan for Vans. I think the only one that brought any attention to it was Axel, I don't recall seeing him in anything not related to Toy.

Ehhh Provost is the only one who turns out footage consistently.  Whether you like him or not is a separate issue.   Myles is someone I’ve heard is good and I like what I’ve seen, but he hasn’t really put out a part to elevate himself.  CJ Collins I’m sure is relevant if you’re into the contest scene and Blake i can’t get a read on if anyone cares.   Axel disappeared after getting on Vans, and the rest (Leo, Billy, Harmony, Leabres, Lutheran), I assume are still on bc Ed doesn’t really pay attention. 

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2021, 02:00:56 PM »
seems like with Element he can do whatever he wants- be with his family at home, stay out of the party scene, skate wherever/whenever, hang with his friends (dudes fairly often doing podcasts with shetler on AIN), and get paid. Sounds like the life to me.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2021, 02:08:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Ehhh Provost is the only one who turns out footage consistently.  Whether you like him or not is a separate issue.   Myles is someone I’ve heard is good and I like what I’ve seen, but he hasn’t really put out a part to elevate himself.  CJ Collins I’m sure is relevant if you’re into the contest scene and Blake i can’t get a read on if anyone cares.   Axel disappeared after getting on Vans, and the rest (Leo, Billy, Harmony, Leabres, Lutheran), I assume are still on bc Ed doesn’t really pay attention.

Leo, Leabres, and Dan are way more relevant than Billy and Harmony.

Wandalumioshlomo

• Rep: -21
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2021, 02:19:34 PM »
Huf-Busenitz-Westgate. Would be like a shiny star formation in the sky for that team. I wouldn't really compare Westgate to Mason, but explanation is too complex so ill just stick to the fact that mason is regular.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2021, 02:26:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Leo, Leabres, and Dan are way more relevant than Billy and Harmony.

I’m saying that they haven’t released anything in a long time.  That does affect your relevancy regardless if it’s due to injury or whatnot. 

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2021, 02:36:31 PM »
Toy Machine sucks. They've put one one full length in 15 years, and have barely done anything else in the mean time.

Might seem wild, but maybe Brandon is happy on Element?

Neil

• Rep: 13
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2021, 02:50:27 PM »
The guy owns a cranberry bog and has LIVE.LAUGH.LOVE stuff on his walls. He is perfect for Element. Element is perfect for him. I'm psyched he gets a big check from stable brands.

From his Epicly Later'd:

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2213
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2021, 03:05:09 PM »
Serious question: Does Element stay profitable by being some kind of lifestyle brand now, or what? Because practically no one skates Element boards as far as I can tell, but I also don't just see regular people out in the wild wearing Element stuff.  How do they make money to pay a skate team?
There's Element completes at Zumiez that I've seen parents buy their kids. Whoever owns them has their clothing in a lot of mall shops and Ross/Marshalls type of stores too. Just the fact stores are fucked with that inventory has Element keeping their payroll. There's probably a kid learning stationary kickflips in his driveway on an Element complete as we speak.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2021, 03:23:24 PM »
Brandon Westgate on Quasi makes sense to me.

I agree I think he'd get lost in the mix if he was on Real.

On a serious note, Jim Thiebaud is all about equality and inclusivity when it comes to his brands.

https://actionsrealized.com/

So why are there no women pro's on Real, Anti-Hero, or Krooked. All these brands have been around for awhile and are very well respected...but you got companies like Deathwish giving more chances to women than Real

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2021, 03:37:51 PM »
he seems to have total freedom with element. they give him his space to film when and how he pleases. he probably can just grab whatever filmer and take (or not) whatever trips he wants no questions asked. plus he probably never has to worry about the checks being "late" or suspicious accounting.  why would he leave a good thing for a "cool" thing?

in return element gets a self driven skater who can self-promote, never complains, doesn't need special attention, and they never really have to worry about him piling out or saying something dumb shit on social media.   

its a win-win
I think Element used to be like that, I doubt their financials are that great anymore given the mass exodus. But, I'm sure NB# lets him do whatever he wants considering he's a New England kid and probably their flagship guy since PJ doesn't produce much. Westgate and Tom Knox are probably their most productive and known pros. I guess Foy too.

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2021, 03:39:29 PM »
brings me no pleasure to say I could see him on All I Need

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2021, 03:46:40 PM »
Expand Quote
he seems to have total freedom with element. they give him his space to film when and how he pleases. he probably can just grab whatever filmer and take (or not) whatever trips he wants no questions asked. plus he probably never has to worry about the checks being "late" or suspicious accounting.  why would he leave a good thing for a "cool" thing?

in return element gets a self driven skater who can self-promote, never complains, doesn't need special attention, and they never really have to worry about him piling out or saying something dumb shit on social media.   

its a win-win
[close]
I think Element used to be like that, I doubt their financials are that great anymore given the mass exodus. But, I'm sure NB# lets him do whatever he wants considering he's a New England kid and probably their flagship guy since PJ doesn't produce much. Westgate and Tom Knox are probably their most productive and known pros. I guess Foy too.

Pretty clear that Tiago is their flagship guy, and Tiago produces as much or more than any other pro on NB#