Author Topic: Nollie flip tips  (Read 1702 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
Nollie flip tips
« on: March 02, 2021, 03:05:22 PM »
After watching Westgates new part in gonna go in hard with nollie flips again and just try get them.

I've never come close. I used to be able to nollie heel on occasion.

But nollie kickflip not even close.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Nollie flip tips
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 09:55:34 PM »
practice standing in nollie flip position with the board level (not leaning on either truck) and get a solid pop. I still whiff the pop and flick prematurely all the time so be mindful of that. keep your shoulders parallel with the board to keep from turning (although slightly shiftied ones are pretty sick). Other than that, its all about timing and flicking harder than you think you need to. If you have any other more specific problems with the trick, feel free to post and ill try to offer more tips.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 02:43:09 AM »
practice standing in nollie flip position with the board level (not leaning on either truck) and get a solid pop. I still whiff the pop and flick prematurely all the time so be mindful of that. keep your shoulders parallel with the board to keep from turning (although slightly shiftied ones are pretty sick). Other than that, its all about timing and flicking harder than you think you need to. If you have any other more specific problems with the trick, feel free to post and ill try to offer more tips.

Thanks dog, I'm dedicating this evening to them.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Brguy

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 06:05:17 AM »
I learned how to flick them doing it sitting down, might be a good start.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 03:36:52 PM »
Reviving this one. I have nollie flips but they suck, the nose bounces off the floor in the middle of the flip most of the time and I often accidentally land in nose manual, which would be great if I wanted to learn that but right now I don't. Any tips for getting them higher up? I've had switch flips for a year or two now and I've gotten to be reasonably consistent with them, but for the longest time I couldn't nollie flip at all until one day they clicked out of nowhere and I started making them about as often as my switch flips. What the hell happened that made them start working all of a sudden?

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 06:59:49 PM »
I had these on lock in the early to mid 90s and lost them in the late 90s. They started drifting behind me too much. I can't suck them up and keep the board under my front foot. Would love to get these back.... Any tips to stop me flicking them away from the direction I am rolling?

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 07:30:57 PM »
I had these on lock in the early to mid 90s and lost them in the late 90s. They started drifting behind me too much. I can't suck them up and keep the board under my front foot. Would love to get these back.... Any tips to stop me flicking them away from the direction I am rolling?

I sometimes forget that for a good nollie, you should kinda shove the nose down and in front of you when popping. Whenever I struggle with a nollie trick, I remind myself of this, do a couple nollies on flat, then try to replicate the same popping motion for the flip trick.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 09:12:50 PM »
Yeah I try that. I think its more in my timing and way I flick....

Funny thing is fakie flips come right up under me...

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 09:45:37 PM »
Sad that im here. This was my trick in 07-09. I lost the flick. Idk if it's from ankle injuries. I used to feel so comfortable doing them and they looked good. Now I'm not even close.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2021, 10:51:15 PM »
You guys ever fucked with medicine balls and stretch bands
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVidr_4piZO/?utm_medium=share_sheet
https://www.instagram.com/p/CSSAMQOlNNw/?utm_medium=share_sheet
I've been doing this shit since march or april bc my regular kickflip flick was dogshit my whole life and i figure it would work wonders for switch stuff
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 01:38:22 AM »
Always have had nollie backside flips but never nollie flips until I was 34. For years was trying to learn them a wrong way. Weirdly enough what made me start landing them consistently was doing them like I do fakie flips even as far as looking backwards when I roll forwards.

Still have em pretty good at 39 and am in awe of anyone who could do em over anything.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 03:07:09 AM »
For whatever reason, when I pretend to do a different trick it helps. For example, if I want to ss fs flip, I pretend I'm going to nollie bs flip. It Is still the same movement ultimately. Think of the nollie flip as a switch flip
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 12:05:00 PM »
I've probably posted it before but my tip for those usually is to pretend your board length is reduced to its very central axis length-wise, so basically pretend you're riding some long ass matchstick and so that's where your toes should be resting in a comfortable position. Then the rest is parallel shoulders and having most of your weight distributed over your back leg before you pop, you're not supposed to be leaning over your nose, you're supposed to be mostly standing on your back foot and then when you do pop you're really mostly nudging the nose ahead of you in the direction you're going, as though extending the trick ahead of you. That means the jump feels like a backwards step or leap, in the direction of the tail during which your back foot drags the board along with you and then that's when you extend that leg out, not down for the flick.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 01:06:35 PM »
I've probably posted it before but my tip for those usually is to pretend your board length is reduced to its very central axis length-wise, so basically pretend you're riding some long ass matchstick and so that's where your toes should be resting in a comfortable position. Then the rest is parallel shoulders and having most of your weight distributed over your back leg before you pop, you're not supposed to be leaning over your nose, you're supposed to be mostly standing on your back foot and then when you do pop you're really mostly nudging the nose ahead of you in the direction you're going, as though extending the trick ahead of you. That means the jump feels like a backwards step or leap, in the direction of the tail during which your back foot drags the board along with you and then that's when you extend that leg out, not down for the flick.

This is very helpful thank you

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 04:31:21 PM »
Stoked to hear it if true, one thing I realized today when advising a kid about his posture on that trick that is big but I never really intellectualized before is, proper weight distribution before you pop (at least the way I do it) is your back shoulder should be right above the very center of your tail - that's how you should be 'leaning back' (when you're really just standing straight, but yeah). That kid was having a problem I see a lot of people have on nollie flips (hunching over the nose way too much and so with the shoulder closer to the center, which doesn't work), I realized and told him that and suddenly he started getting them so maybe that will work for more people.