Author Topic: Cyrus of 917  (Read 46344 times)

sometimeperhaps

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
Re: Cyrus of 917
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2021, 04:52:16 PM »
Expand Quote
He's going to Hockey
[close]

Well I guess now I’m interested enough to ask: people have good experiences skating hockey boards?

Based on the amount I see in “post your setup” thread I’d say so. I don’t have any personal experience though.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2021, 05:01:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
He's going to Hockey
[close]

Well I guess now I’m interested enough to ask: people have good experiences skating hockey boards?
[close]

Based on the amount I see in “post your setup” thread I’d say so. I don’t have any personal experience though.

I’ve made a full switch from Quasi over to Fa/Hockey boards. I really liked the Quasi shape and it’s pretty close to the Fa/Hockey except the tail isn’t as flat on the Fa/hockey which I’ve grown to love.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2021, 05:03:14 PM »
As sick as Max on Isle would be, I kinda wanna see Max and Cyrus on FA/Hockey just so they're on the same team as Nik, Andrew and Vince

That would be a power move for Hockey. I love isle more tho. Both of them on isle would be tight. But I can certainly back keeping the squad together at hockey as well.

themeangreen

• Rep: -75
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2021, 06:02:38 PM »
Holy shit this dude sounds like a 5 day old box of Domino's. That Bunt interview was like pulling teeth. Can see him on Frog skateboards after the Slap Pals and the Bunt interviews.

Neen seems more interesting, which is so fucking gross for me to type out.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2021, 06:19:26 PM »
AO should just man up for once and gift ( maybe keep a mall percentage) 917 to Max and Cyrus.
That would be a repectable move and he can fold in dignity

This looks like a win win formula to me. Let's everyone have more of a say on the shapes and graphics and lessens the work that AO has to do.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2021, 06:47:57 PM »
more numbers in 917 than team riders, go figures
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2021, 07:02:15 PM »
cyrus on baker max on deathwish AO on birdhouse fuck it

daewonbong3000

• Rep: 10
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2021, 07:03:03 PM »
To anyone who hasn’t listened he isn’t gifting anyone anything.
Cyrus quit and said “yeah then everyone else quit.” So yeah that shits dust. Does sound like they’re starting their own shit. But Cyrus and max should both just get on baker.

Yerp

Free max b

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2021, 07:03:40 PM »
Expand Quote
As sick as Max on Isle would be, I kinda wanna see Max and Cyrus on FA/Hockey just so they're on the same team as Nik, Andrew and Vince
[close]

That would be a power move for Hockey. I love isle more tho. Both of them on isle would be tight. But I can certainly back keeping the squad together at hockey as well.

I think Isle is pretty full roster-wise for both on the team.   They’d likely want to add Kyron at some point.   I don’t quite get why Jon Nguyen is on the team, not from a talent perspective, but he just feels like the odd man out.  Hopefully Max can fill that US rider role

#switchgod

• Rep: -97
  • One love.
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2021, 07:15:42 PM »
Johnny Wilson needs to take this opportunity to corral all these dudes and start a company. It would kill it. Stu Kirst am pls.

Don

• Rep: -31
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2021, 08:02:45 PM »
Not gonna happen but would be cool to see them on sci-fi fantasy

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2021, 08:36:57 PM »
I think it’d be cool if he somehow got on Blind or Darkstar just to fuck with us nerds.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2021, 09:05:01 PM »

This is kinda what I thought too, but maybe because it has a really similar vibe to 917.

Either way somebody (Nike?) really missed a shot to step in earlier and make 917 huge - it had the right riders, best filmer, legit videos but just can't manage the business side of things. Totally speculating that was on the table though.   

Crislerheaven

• Rep: -6
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2021, 09:25:35 PM »
Johnny Wilson needs to take this opportunity to corral all these dudes and start a company. It would kill it. Stu Kirst am pls.
Would love to see Stu get some more recognition.
As soon as Nelson hears that anything is “small and intimate” he gets paranoid he’s not invited and goes crazy to get there, so he put his mind to it and got there through someone else. It turned out to be thousands of people there so when he saw Paul he said, “Small, intimate world, isn’t it?

Chris Partlow

• Rep: 1
  • dont worry boss i got you covered, quick and clean
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2021, 09:29:19 PM »
He’s going to darkstar. They offered him a spot on the podcast if you listened you’d know

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 386
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2021, 10:29:19 PM »
So how hard is it to run a board company? You outsource the printing of the actual graphics and the pressing of the boards, same with the clothes. You do 1 drop every 3-6 months and you typically drop ~6 decks and a handful of softgoods. Some distributes your stuff. So you need:

-Someone doing graphic design.
-Someone to do some light book-keeping.
-A person to send shit to team riders
-One of these people also needs to send the designs to the manufacturers and keep track of things.

917 wasn't exactly a big operation and I struggle to see how it was so high stress and high output that AO had a difficult time finding a few hours a month to do these things.

I feel like it’s definitely harder than that especially if you realize you can’t do it and don’t want to do it either.

Safariferrari

• Rep: 42
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2021, 11:39:12 PM »
This would be very sick if Sci-Fi could come through to be a full fledged brand with team riders

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2021, 11:41:32 PM »
Expand Quote
So how hard is it to run a board company? You outsource the printing of the actual graphics and the pressing of the boards, same with the clothes. You do 1 drop every 3-6 months and you typically drop ~6 decks and a handful of softgoods. Some distributes your stuff. So you need:

-One of these people also needs to send the designs to the manufacturers and keep track of things.

917 wasn't exactly a big operation and I struggle to see how it was so high stress and high output that AO had a difficult time finding a few hours a month to do these things.
[close]

It’s easy but hard for most skater type guy because they are unable to focus on any of those things, much less be organized enough to schedule all of them. A guy like Alex Olson never had a real job in his life or even went to high school. He has zero organizational ability. Even just being a pro skater required too much focus for him.  The only reason these companies even last as long as they do is because all the other brands are the same disorganized flaky guys too just at different levels. Except for Powell peralta
plus they get funded by big corp in exchange for exposure until big corp feels it doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. see also numbers. if the income or survival of your brand doesn't come from you making good product, when that corporate money stops and you haven't figured out what to do with your brand or settled into a routine, you're pretty much done for.

but on the other hand corporate cash flow keeps some companies alive that would probably otherwise gone under already, at least financially. image only helps so much. in 917s case, i guess they sold most of their stuff, but probably could have done way better if the people behind put more effort into it, or maybe trusted their teamriders more. it seems that they all tried to have their own input on the aesthetic and product. in the end that aesthetic was at least coherently shitty. i bought boards because i like the team, not because i am an a.o. fan. 

hope cyrus and everyone else gets on whatever team that they are psyched on but still keep on making crew vids together. would be a shame if others like aaron loreth and hugo boserup went into obscurity. also david clark without a sponsor sucks. the best thing about 917 were the videos. overall existing for almost 7 years with a fairly consistent team isn't that bad.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2021, 12:06:46 AM »
(917)692-2706
the number that you have dialed is not in service

threequartercab

• Rep: 4
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2021, 12:24:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think Isle is pretty full roster-wise for both on the team.   They’d likely want to add Kyron at some point.   I don’t quite get why Jon Nguyen is on the team, not from a talent perspective, but he just feels like the odd man out.  Hopefully Max can fill that US rider role

Paul Shier DVS/Blueprint connection. I love Jon Nguyen and i am happy he is on Isle. Why not....great representation for a brtish company in the US. Probably hasnt much of a travel budget though. Every time they linked up and he was in Atlantic Drift edits, the footage was great.

Would support a new brand with Cyrus and Max, or buy their Krooked Pro decks

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2021, 02:59:14 AM »
the funniest thing is, that according to 917s instagramstories AO has not even realised that cyrus left.

BieberStance

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2021, 03:12:59 AM »
Alex Olson didn’t run 917 and I’m pretty sure Robin was more involved with Bianca Chandon. I’m pretty sure Logan Lara was the one who ran it into the ground. Nice guy when I had a brief interaction with him but seemed a bit insecure about the videos/brand in general.

Wrong.
Logan Lara was hired to assist AO. And he saved AOs ass most of the time. There was an interview where it was said that AO contributed basically nothing to get the 917 Videos done (no artdirection blahblah) and that Logan Lara pulled it all out of his ass and improvised all of it last minute until deadline by himself (hence why AO wasn´t confident enough to go to the premier...). Logan Lara was the reason why all of us gave 917 a pass!

There are more interviews where AO talks about how he is "doing graphics". the process was as far as i recall AO doing some absurd useless stuff on a piece of paper and a second designer being like wtf, ok, let me save that mess.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -764
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2021, 03:14:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Alex Olson didn’t run 917 and I’m pretty sure Robin was more involved with Bianca Chandon. I’m pretty sure Logan Lara was the one who ran it into the ground. Nice guy when I had a brief interaction with him but seemed a bit insecure about the videos/brand in general.
[close]

Wrong.
Logan Lara was hired to assist AO. And he saved AOs ass most of the time. There was an interview where it was said that AO contributed basically nothing to get the 917 Videos done (no artdirection blahblah) and that Logan Lara pulled it all out of his ass and improvised all of it last minute until deadline by himself (hence why AO wasn´t confident enough to go to teh premier).
There are more interviews where AO talks about him "doing graphics". the process was as far as i recall him doing some abourd useless stuff on a piece of paper and a second designer being like wtf, ok, let me save that mess.

Oh my god haha
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

BieberStance

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2021, 03:24:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Wrong.
Logan Lara was hired to assist AO. And he saved AOs ass most of the time. There was an interview where it was said that AO contributed basically nothing to get the 917 Videos done (no artdirection blahblah) and that Logan Lara pulled it all out of his ass and improvised all of it last minute until deadline by himself (hence why AO wasn´t confident enough to go to teh premier).
There are more interviews where AO talks about him "doing graphics". the process was as far as i recall him doing some abourd useless stuff on a piece of paper and a second designer being like wtf, ok, let me save that mess.
[close]

Oh my god haha

Here is on source to some of it. I can´t remember were i got the other stuff from i mentioned and can´t research now because i am working. but itw as propably some audio interviews or whatever.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4agy5n/alex-olson-interview-bianca-chandon

What's the hardest thing about running two brands? Being a team manager or coming up with ideas?

I don't really deal with the team. I hate having a company, I don't like it. It sucks. I'm over it. I'd leave everything at a second-hand store if I could, and you can buy them all [laughs]. I dunno – it's not fun, I don't enjoy coming into an office.

There's nice parts, obviously – the validation of your creation, that's always nice. But it's not the must fulfilling thing, I'll tell you that much. But it's one of those things – it's like a ying and yang. I wouldn't know if I hadn't explored it all, and went there and got to the other end and seen it for myself. I've achieved what I've wanted to achieve, if you know what I mean? It was never about money – it was about creating something and getting accolades for that work. But after you do that, you're like: 'What am I doing now?'

Do you have an in-house design team?
No, I just create everything by myself – but I have a team of people over in LA to help with stuff over there. But it's one of those things – it's challenging every season: you don't know what's going to sell or not. Fashion is a tough business, and it's not really a glamorous business either.

[...]

Yeah, it never stops. Who helps you run 917?
It's kinda like a group effort about who gets put on the team and who goes about doing what – there's no one person running 917. But there is a team manager and filmer and editor called Logan, who does all of that.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2021, 03:28:55 AM »
Then don't fucking run a business. What an entitled prick.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -764
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2021, 03:38:56 AM »
That is fucking shocking.

These guys are living in a dream world.

"It's not fun"

Newsflash dickhead... Life isn't fun.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Andy_Roys_Left_Nut

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2021, 03:45:23 AM »
I hope Nik leaves Hockey and they do something that has a little more integrity as a solid group - maybe initially funded by Nike? Cant really see Cyrus or Max on Hockey/Fa. Too trendy - too many rules and too much pressurised hype surrounding that company. I get the impression that Cyrus & Max would struggle to jump through those predetermined hoops of respect required to fit in on a team of that egotistical magnitude.

TheBeyonder

• Rep: -10
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2021, 03:50:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s easy but hard for most skater type guy because they are unable to focus on any of those things, much less be organized enough to schedule all of them. A guy like Alex Olson never had a real job in his life or even went to high school. He has zero organizational ability. Even just being a pro skater required too much focus for him.  The only reason these companies even last as long as they do is because all the other brands are the same disorganized flaky guys too just at different levels. Except for Powell peralta

“Jules:
Like… Most girls, when you first talk to them, they, like, automatically analyze and compare themselves to you. And then, you know, they, they search for where you fit in their hierarchy, and then they treat you accordingly.

THERAPIST: What hierarchy?

JULES: Like, how close you are to what they all collectively want to be. Like, in their heads.

THERAPIST: Right.

JULES: And, you know, even if they’ve, like, mastered the art of hiding it with, like, smiles and nods, and small talk, it’s, like, you’d still catch them doing it. Like, like their eyes wandering over your face, or… or, you know, the quick takes up and down your body. Or like, they watch how your clothes hang off your torso, or, like, they look for what tags are on your clothes to see where you shop, or they’ll watch your hands to find, like, f*cked-up cuticles or chipped nail polish. Honestly, it would, it would be a kind of sensual experience if it wasn’t so f*cking terrifying.”

-Euphoria season 2

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2021, 03:52:17 AM »
I hope Nik leaves Hockey and they do something that has a little more integrity as a solid group - maybe initially funded by Nike? Cant really see Cyrus or Max on Hockey/Fa. Too trendy - too many rules and too much pressurised hype surrounding that company. I get the impression that Cyrus & Max would struggle to jump through those predetermined hoops of respect required to fit in on a team of that egotistical magnitude.

I'd love to hear about these rules.

Theseaorganization

• Rep: -41
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2021, 04:01:23 AM »
Always wanted to try one of their boards so i guess it's now or never but those new graphics suck...hmmm