Author Topic: Sci Fi Fantasy specs?  (Read 2521 times)

Chickenbonenowitsgone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Sci Fi Fantasy specs?
« on: September 29, 2022, 03:45:58 PM »
Looking for any details on sci fi board specs. Website shows width but no length or wb measurements. I usually skate the dlx 8.38x32.25x14.5 size, but I’m guessing the wb/ length is a bit shorter for sci fi boards. Anybody that has skated one have any info?
"I could get Steven Greer to show me his asshole for 75$" - Henry Zebrowski

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
Re: Sci Fi Fantasy specs?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 04:32:56 PM »
Looking for any details on sci fi board specs. Website shows width but no length or wb measurements. I usually skate the dlx 8.38x32.25x14.5 size, but I’m guessing the wb/ length is a bit shorter for sci fi boards. Anybody that has skated one have any info?
I’m wondering the same thing about the 8.5 and are they steep or mellow

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 05:22:54 PM »
Tactics is usually pretty reliable and it has the measurements

https://www.tactics.com/sci-fi-fantasy/jester-838-skateboard-deck

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 06:46:13 PM »
Tactics is wrong on the 8.5.

I've measured all of them, bought and hated the Jerry. They are not the normal generator shapes in 8.5 at least. The 8.5 are super steep and have a 14.38 WB and giant kicks. Same shape as the waterfall decks no one liked. Sucks cuz Ryan said on an IG story he couldn't skate that deck and now it's his 8.5 pro shape.

The 8.25 and 8.38 are standard generic Generator shapes. I skate the 8.38 a lot. 14.38 with a 6.625" tail and 6.875 nose 32 on the dot.

spicysk8rboi

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 07:06:57 PM »
All I can tell you is the 8.5 on venture 5.8 has been my favorite set up I’ve skated in a while. Skating a 8.38 primitive with a much shorter wb and I really am not a fan.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 08:26:52 PM »
Then don't get this one. I was really bummed. The nose is massive it's longer than their normal 8.5 and less full. The tail is longer than the normal 8.5 nose. If I remember right the nose was 7.1875 and tail was 6.875. Little to no flat after the bolts it reminded me of a Polar I hated. Felt really heavy to flip around.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 09:13:16 PM »

I've measured all of them, bought and hated the Jerry. They are not the normal generator shapes in 8.5 at least. The 8.5 are super steep and have a 14.38 WB and giant kicks. Same shape as the waterfall decks no one liked. Sucks cuz Ryan said on an IG story he couldn't skate that deck and now it's his 8.5 pro shape.

The 8.25 and 8.38 are standard generic Generator shapes. I skate the 8.38 a lot. 14.38 with a 6.625" tail and 6.875 nose 32 on the dot.
Well I was debating whether to hang or skate the jerry deck I just ordered and maybe you just made that decision much easier. Thanks.

Chickenbonenowitsgone

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 11:06:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Well I was debating whether to hang or skate the jerry deck I just ordered and maybe you just made that decision much easier. Thanks.
Damn, i ordered the hellscape 8.5 board, I used a promo code and got it for 60 with free 2 day shipping. I might just hang it or trade it at a shop if it’s super steep.
"I could get Steven Greer to show me his asshole for 75$" - Henry Zebrowski

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 03:14:40 AM »

That 8.5 seems like the same shape as other Generator / BBS boards, but I don't recall comparing it to others that I have, when I stood on one in a shop.  They didn't have any of the other usual boards like Baker, Deathwish, Passport or similar that I have and know.

Most 8.5 are 32.2 - 32.5 (depending on who you ask) with 14.5 wb and big long kicks, as per pretty much all of the other 8.5 BBS boards, only excluding DLX and a couple of specific sized (shorter) boards I have seen.

One other 8.5 shop board with Generator sticker is the same as that one by the sound of it too, sure is steeper than other boards I have, but still round kicks on it too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 06:48:18 AM »
Generator has new shorter shapes for almost every dimension.

Of the Sci Fi boards the most recent 8.5 drop and the last drop deck with the waterfall graphic are all the shorter shape. In 8.25 it's actually the shape Quasi, Primitive, etc use. They also do an 8.75 with both a 14" and 14.25" WB that Kader and T Funk rode. A Generator employee was in the shop and gave me a big rundown of their shapes.

As for steepness I compared it to the normal BBS 8.5, normal BBS 8.38, and A few DLX decks of similar WB. I'll try to grab pics in a bit. It's got a decent gap between the kicks and less flat after the bolts and feels shorter for sure.

I was super bummed when I skated it and measured it a ton of times to make sure I'm not nuts. A friend I see at the park sometimes had a generic 8.5 and same trucks. I stepped on his board and it was night and day.  Felt way lighter pop, zero ghost pop, normal semi full kicks.

If anyone wants a lightly skated Jerry 8.5 I'll gladly hook you up. It might work for you.

Hard to capture the steepness here, the deck below it was on the steep side for this shape equal to a DLX I. Not the best angle but you can see the rise starts sooner. My pic of the tail was bad:

Nose length, the normal shape is a hair under 7":

Hard to tell, the nose shape is a bit more rounded. The other board is the BBS 8.38 but the 8.5 has the same nose profile I just don't have one at home.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 07:21:32 AM by LebowskisRug »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 02:47:23 PM »

They are good pics for sure.

The other curious / interesting thing is Generator boards always feel that little different in concave and kicks to other Tier One BBS brands, which is why I stopped getting the Generator boards - a few shops I know use them and they are really good boards, but just feel different to DLX, Baker, etc.

Different presses, different wood, different something, but the few blanks (pre covid) and a couple of shop boards since have worked great for some people I know but just don't do it for me.

I also wonder how old some of the wood is here in AU, not that it is an issue to ride, they still skate fine, but it might take a while longer for those new shorter shapes to filter out through supply chains and to places like here.

Sure do have plenty of the 8.5 x 32.xx with 14.5 wb to keep me happy, along with way too many 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb from DLX and similar brands, so not a big deal really.

The generic Generator blank that was supposed to be 8.5 was actually 8.3 x 32 with 14.38 wb, which I skated and then passed on to someone else who loved it, so at least it was well used in that regard.

Thebird

• Rep: 152
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2023, 03:43:32 PM »
Anyone ridden their 8" shape?  Is it the standard BBS shape?

OhioGuy

• Rep: 72
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2023, 04:08:26 PM »
My 8.5 SFF deck is identical to a Tactics shop deck of the same size. So it’s a generic BBS shape.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2023, 05:58:22 PM »

Check Tactics for good info, pics, etc.

https://www.tactics.com/sci-fi-fantasy/ryan-lay-truck-beam-80-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.0
CENTER WIDTH (IN):   8.0
LENGTH (IN):   31.68
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25
NOSE (IN):   6.875
TAIL (IN):   6.56

* Maybe not that pic, which is for the 8.5 version of that same graphic, but I think the dimensions listed should be good.

My 8.5 SFF deck is identical to a Tactics shop deck of the same size. So it’s a generic BBS shape.

Yes, it sure looks like it is that board, from the dimensions, even if they are a bit different on the site for the three different graphics of the 8.5 boards they have up right now:

PECS
SIZE   8.5
CENTER WIDTH (IN):   8.5
LENGTH (IN):   32.125
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.5
NOSE (IN):   7.06
TAIL (IN):   6.625

« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 06:05:08 PM by Mbrimson88 »

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2023, 03:56:10 AM »
not trying to yuck anyones negative yum, but i have that 8.5 locked file deck as well as a stack of generator blanks and some other generator 8.5s
theyre all standard concave, not steep
wb is 14.5

im generally not whiny or too particular about pieces of wood im having fun destroying

LebowskisRug

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2023, 06:45:52 AM »
For the 8.5 some are normal (usually Ryan Lay's) some are the 14.38 shape that is also a DLX shape used on price point and Tom Knox decks. All the 8.25 I've seen for the last 4 drops (Arin, Jerry decks, the orange deck with black X) are all the weird shape that is kinda tapered and measures 14.3 with long kicks.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 72
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2023, 07:51:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Check Tactics for good info, pics, etc.

https://www.tactics.com/sci-fi-fantasy/ryan-lay-truck-beam-80-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.0
CENTER WIDTH (IN):   8.0
LENGTH (IN):   31.68
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25
NOSE (IN):   6.875
TAIL (IN):   6.56

* Maybe not that pic, which is for the 8.5 version of that same graphic, but I think the dimensions listed should be good.

Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, it sure looks like it is that board, from the dimensions, even if they are a bit different on the site for the three different graphics of the 8.5 boards they have up right now:

PECS
SIZE   8.5
CENTER WIDTH (IN):   8.5
LENGTH (IN):   32.125
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.5
NOSE (IN):   7.06
TAIL (IN):   6.625

Here’s my decks. I was bummed out when I figured out they were using the same generic shape. I love SFF’s graphics, but don’t want to pay $70 for a generic shape. Hopefully they create some of their own one day.

Measured and stacked them. Same dimensions, one might be a hair longer. So it’s safe to say they’re identical.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2023, 02:47:54 PM »
If the shape works who cares? You're paying the brand, which is Jerry, and supporting its riders. Ryan Lay was one of the only people to call out 1010 on his racism, runs a non profit that builds skateparks, and has traveled to other countries to build skate programs. I don't mind giving him or his board sponsor a whopping $5-$10 over buying some random sale or shop deck. Not every shape needs to be something super unique and proprietary especially if supporting a brand you like or having a graphic you like makes you happy for a bit. I'd pay full price any day to not have to ride that Tactics graphic...

Every time Sci Fi did a drop I just DM'ed them and they were able to say which 8.5 is which. I do know a few team riders hated the shorter one.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 03:15:51 PM by LebowskisRug »

Thebird

• Rep: 152
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2023, 09:05:11 PM »
Just grabbed the 8.25 Glick deck.  The wheelbase is actually measuring in at 14.375 on this one.  My son has the Ryan Lay 8 and everything is accurate on that one.  I liked his so much I wanted to try one.