Author Topic: deedz of enjoi?  (Read 16587 times)

fernando the skater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 114
Re: deedz of enjoi?
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2023, 03:25:10 AM »
There's so much talent out there without proper sponsors these days. One solution would be for the legitimate board companies to squad up like shoe/wheel/truck companies. 50 guys on a team.

Is there any need to have 50 professional skateboarders in total? In the 80s boom years there were about 30 pros? People on the lesser companies like Alva, or the freestylers, were working in the warehouses, manning the phone sales etc. 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2023, 03:29:15 AM »
Expand Quote
There's so much talent out there without proper sponsors these days. One solution would be for the legitimate board companies to squad up like shoe/wheel/truck companies. 50 guys on a team.
[close]

Is there any need to have 50 professional skateboarders in total? In the 80s boom years there were about 30 pros? People on the lesser companies like Alva, or the freestylers, were working in the warehouses, manning the phone sales etc.
Would any shop even want to order 50 boards from one company per season? It would take up the whole wall. Once again maybe better for the 80s when there were fewer companies

dannyprovolone

« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2023, 03:39:36 AM »
the value of panda sweatshirts will surely skyrocket once the brand dies

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2023, 06:48:51 AM »
There's so much talent out there without proper sponsors these days. One solution would be for the legitimate board companies to squad up like shoe/wheel/truck companies. 50 guys on a team. Another way would be the shoe companies doing things like Nike SB Wood with big teams. I think the best thing would be for the big shoe companies to do what they were always accused of but never really happened: provide logistical and management support for boutique board companies. Deedz could have kind of a 360 deal with Nike and be the face of a board company almost entirely run by Nike. But Nike wouldn't want to give up any ownership stake. Skaters at the peak of their abilities would often rather skate than be stuck running a company. Kind of shows why a guy like Rocco was necessary, and enabled such a golden era.
My vote is Deedz and Vincent on 917.

Enjoi couldn't afford to pay what, 8 guys? How are companies going to afford to pay 50? Impossible unless you only want to see 3 companies and they're Nike, Cons, Vans

Rocco was from a pre-goldmine era, when there was untapped money laying everywhere

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2023, 07:02:04 AM »
There's so much talent out there without proper sponsors these days. One solution would be for the legitimate board companies to squad up like shoe/wheel/truck companies. 50 guys on a team. Another way would be the shoe companies doing things like Nike SB Wood with big teams. I think the best thing would be for the big shoe companies to do what they were always accused of but never really happened: provide logistical and management support for boutique board companies. Deedz could have kind of a 360 deal with Nike and be the face of a board company almost entirely run by Nike. But Nike wouldn't want to give up any ownership stake. Skaters at the peak of their abilities would often rather skate than be stuck running a company. Kind of shows why a guy like Rocco was necessary, and enabled such a golden era.
My vote is Deedz and Vincent on 917.

Serious question, how would adding forty skaters possibly help a struggling brand? What is the value add?

Deedz couldn't sell enough decks with Enjoi to justify even being paid.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021