Author Topic: Maité Steenhoudt pro part  (Read 6414 times)

REGS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
Re: Maité Steenhoudt pro part
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2021, 06:47:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i dont know if anyone else would agree...

Not trying to sexist or whatever but i thought Male females, trans are supposed to equals in life and skating, but clearly we are not it seems to me that female and trans skaters get a free pass with putting out sub par footy and shitty little park, flatground clips on insta (clips i would be embarrased to post) and they have a laundry list of sponsors i mean cmon skating is a marketing scheme nowdays

For a Male skater been in these streets for years filming multiple parts not the gnarliest but still ight, your still not getting hooked up, not that i care to get hooked up i just see its way harder for males to boxes these days
[close]

Sponsored skating is not about how good you are if you're female or part of another niche group, it's about how much potential you have to move product, and making the brand seem progressive. You gotta be marketable to whatever your target fanbase could be. There's so much potential in girl skaters as a market that it's perfectly understandable they get hooked up easier than guys.
[close]

Fixed for accuracy.  ;)
[close]

It's baffling how many people don't understand this stuff.

I liked what Matt Price said recently in an interview with B&H. He was saying skateboarding likes to pretend it exists outside of capitalism, like it's some bohemian industry or pasttime, when in reality everything a professional does it tied to a brand, or some kind of marketing. It's the most capitalist shit ever. When you put a sticker on your board or shoot an ad for a brand or wear a logo on your hat it's all advertising, but there's a tendency to pretend it's not.

Half the world is female. Half of the upcoming Olympic skateboarders will be female. That's a massive market to be tapped into. Your actual ability on a skateboard is only part of your marketability; when young girls get into skateboarding there's a much higher chance they'll look up to Maite or Nora than to Nyjah or Yuto. Of course a brand like Adidas is going to tap into that.

Skateboarding has been male-dominated for so long that every male skateboarder seems to think every skater is meant to be 'for them'. Someone like Maite, sure, plenty of guys will like her skating, but she's going to appeal much more to a young female skateboarder. Nike's Gizmo video copped a lot of flack for being 'sub par' in some of the skateboarding skill, but how massive is an all-female video to a young girl who just started skating? Not all skating is for you, the 25 year old man.
[close]

It seems you thought I was disagreeing with the statement I quoted, but I was just adding the fine print. I'm not the least bit upset about female skaters getting their shine.

Oh not at all. I was just backing up/adding to your point.

lordrandall

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: -15
  • Your Uncles Favorite Uncle.
    • tokyo 19xx avatar image
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2021, 10:26:31 PM »
I thought this part was dope as fuck. Weirdo from Belgium skating.
Also trying to blow out the Thrasher intro was gold.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2021, 10:37:53 PM »
I'm ok with a little safety hands...so should be good til about late august. 

Also children should be seen, and not heard.  3/5

rock2fakie

• Rep: 7
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2021, 12:04:33 AM »
she dresses identical to the Mormon's I grew up with that had to wear late 90's baggy men's clothes to appear more modest.
so... like a skater? lol. everyone in that video is dressed pretty much the same.

rock2fakie

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2021, 12:10:07 AM »
man I really like her and her first part, MAITE, is super rewatchable but im not sure if i’ll be coming back to this one. too many skits bordering on being obnoxious, to my taste at least. it’s a shame cause i was looking forward to a new part from her. 
not getting into the female vs male skaters getting sponsored cause it’s pointless and that conversation has been had. no point beating a dead horse lol. sorry to the skater dudes that are salty they never got hooked up cause theyre supposedly better than other people who are getting sponsored. thats life bro

moneen

• Rep: -41
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2021, 12:35:38 AM »
jesus this thread is so depressing.

Bread Harrity

• Rep: 239
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2021, 02:22:59 AM »
love maite and love shintaro sakamoto, perfect match and had me smiling straight through :)

bummed but not surprised that this thread is a dumpster fire of toxic garbage. to the person who inevitably has to "explain women's skateboarding" to some chud in every single thread about a female skater, i salute you

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2021, 02:23:06 AM »
man I really like her and her first part, MAITE, is super rewatchable but im not sure if i’ll be coming back to this one. too many skits bordering on being obnoxious, to my taste at least. it’s a shame cause i was looking forward to a new part from her. 

I agree. Her first part really was fun, but this one focuses way too much on skits and making noises and whatnot. I think her skating was more watchable in her first part, too.

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2021, 04:06:59 AM »
I enjoyed it, no comply sugarcane seems fun.
Doesn’t she date Jarne? Expected a clip from him in there.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2021, 05:52:09 AM »
I’m all for fun in skateboarding but isn’t she like 21 or 22?  Acting like a 12 year old at that age is a little weird.  She definitely has skill but the extreme arm flailing soul skater style is a bit obnoxious.  But hey if that’s the image that sells and gets her name on a board go get em tiger.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2021, 06:18:44 AM »
I saw her skating in person at adidas tour. Seemed pretty shy. Not that funny like the video.

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2021, 08:49:14 AM »
I can understand the disappointment in this part if you are a fan of tightly edited stunt skateboarding videos, exclusively. I suppose the tricks in this video could've been consolidated into a pretty tight 2 and a half minute edit to better cater to that taste.
But outside of that personal preference, this video was, and Maite's skating in general is, a lot of fun. It makes me want to go skate and goof off with my friends.

She seems like and authentically hyperactive young person and hopefully not just trying to contrive an image. I imagine part of her decision to not re-up with Element was because she wanted to goof around with friends and make videos exactly like this. Her being on a small brand that gets weird (along with with Evan Smith) seems very appropriate.

I look forward to seeing how she progresses. This could be the beginning of a huge career and a big step forward towards making skateboarding appealing to young women. Sure, the rubber-leg frontside smith stalls can only take you so far, and making spazzing and mugging for the camera your thing might not have much longevity (just ask Jimmy Carlin). But if she keeps her drinking under control and keeps filming skate tricks, I, for one, think she will be a very positive addition skateboarding.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 12:35:10 PM by WarmUpZone »
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2021, 10:24:43 AM »
plz someone make a edit without the skits. the skating alone was super fun and had a tilt mode vibe, which i appreciated a lot. i'm sure maite is cool and funny, but the skits were too much for me.

congrats on pro status.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2021, 10:44:53 AM »
plz someone make a edit without the skits. the skating alone was super fun and had a tilt mode vibe, which i appreciated a lot. i'm sure maite is cool and funny, but the skits were too much for me.
This.

Gabriel

• Rep: 12
    • website avatar image
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2021, 10:57:33 AM »
love maite and love shintaro sakamoto, perfect match and had me smiling straight through :)

bummed but not surprised that this thread is a dumpster fire of toxic garbage. to the person who inevitably has to "explain women's skateboarding" to some chud in every single thread about a female skater, i salute you

felt the same (but too tired to event bother commenting, so thanks ;-)

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2021, 11:06:34 AM »
Damn this was fun. Cool video. Depressing thread.

rock2fakie

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2021, 01:35:24 PM »
Rewatched it with a friend who wanted to see it and I have to say I enjoyed it more the second time. Maybe it just wasn’t the best thing to watch first thing in the morning. A fun video, although I still prefer her first

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2021, 01:38:11 PM »
Damn this was fun. Cool video. Depressing thread.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2021, 02:38:30 PM »
I bet the same dudes who is saing this part was cool, calls out Zach Allen parts and level of skating.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2021, 04:57:58 PM »
Maite is cool. Found the skits unfunny but liked the vid well enough. Bummed on no Jarne clip!

Coldpizza

• Rep: 146
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2021, 08:04:20 PM »

Not trying to sexist or whatever but i thought Male females, trans are supposed to equals in life and skating, but clearly we are not it seems to me that female and trans skaters get a free pass with putting out sub par footy and shitty little park, flatground clips on insta (clips i would be embarrased to post) and they have a laundry list of sponsors i mean cmon skating is a marketing scheme nowdays

For a Male skater been in these streets for years filming multiple parts not the gnarliest but still ight, your still not getting hooked up, not that i care to get hooked up i just see its way harder for males to boxes these days
Show us on the doll where mean ladies took your sponsors...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tura

• Rep: 45
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2021, 09:01:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Show us on the doll where mean ladies took your sponsors...

Haha zing!

Really like Maite. Got a cool spontaneous, high energy thing going on. I can see why people find her irritating, but her hype seems pretty genuine to me. Obviously playing it up for the camera a little, but why would they include clips of her quiet moments?

Regarding the discussion about differing standards for genders, I do agree that girl skaters have it pretty sweet. There was a bowl skating contest in my town last year, and someone funded it so that the prize money for the chicks matched that of the dudes. Girls were literally winning like $100 for carving the bowl for two minutes. I think it's a righteous thing though, just encouraging girls to enter. I've been hanging out with girl skaters more lately, and hearing from them has made me understand how intimidating it can be entering a male-dominated scene, especially considering that even the dudes who are friendly and approachable are sometimes low-key creeping on them. When the girl skating thing first started to take off, I thought that they were not very social because they wanted to be left alone. Now that I've made friends with a lot of them, I get that they were intimidated, which seems obvious now that I realise it, and can see why the double standard is a positive thing, and that my earlier cynicism was basically amounting to a bruised ego. Still get irritated when cats like Leo bitch about not making as much money as male skaters who often have to risk their lives regularly for a paycheck (if that), but maybe there's something there I don't understand yet.

All that said, I think Maite is the first female skater I've been hyped on without shades of 'good for a girl', or anything to do with the positive impact of more female skater exposure. Even though she's not as impressive as most male pros, she brings something different, and her skating is always entertaining. I think that when the female skating scene develops more, there's gonna be a new energy that is different than what we've seen already, even if they never match the tech/gnar standard of male pros. Like a new style or something, I dunno yet. But they've already brought a new energy to the scene where I live (and forced a lot of the dudes with questionable morals to check themselves) which is rad. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

tura

• Rep: 45
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2021, 09:04:23 PM »
Liked the chess skit and the no comply shove it pole jam too

applejuice

• Rep: 10
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2021, 10:20:59 PM »
some of y'all are acting like this girl stole your spot on adidas or something lmao

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2021, 11:44:32 PM »
I think a good way to explain things to dudes who are butt hurt about females getting hooked up whom they think are less skilled than themselves is that it's simply supply and demand. There's an endless pool of talented male skaters, but women's skating is still a very small scene and needs to grow, so brands are choosing to support and promote females as much as possible even though there's still a very limited crop of women ready for that step. What they may lack in skill they make up for simply by being representatives to encourage more females to take up skating. Obviously the massive market potential is a huge motivator for the brands, but if it gets them promoting the females then it's a good thing. The level of skill is going up pretty quick and it won't be long before some of the most mediocre skating is a thing of the past.

That little fairy dress heelflipping girl is gonna be another Leticia for sure, and there's probably loads of girls coming up who aspire to skate like Alexis and Leo etc. Maite isn't really my style but aside from the silly ridiculous flailing arms she seems quite comfortable on her board and I'm sure she's inspiring countless girls to skate how they want instead of worrying about living up to some standard that's gotten kind of old.

TLDR - there's an over-supply of dudes and an under-supply of females in the skate industry. That's why it's 'easier' for girls to get hooked up. Doesn't mean it's easy.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2021, 12:52:28 AM »
The first song was hard to get through but I love her style. Super fucking goofy and fun. Makes me wanna get out and skate. I get that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but goddam when did skateboarding get so serious?

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2021, 04:07:19 AM »
as expected, there's heaps of men in here that just can't wrap their heads around the prospect of a teenage girl having fun on a skateboard and getting sponsored for it.

Brguy

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2021, 05:53:18 AM »
Expand Quote
she dresses identical to the Mormon's I grew up with that had to wear late 90's baggy men's clothes to appear more modest.
[close]
so... like a skater? lol. everyone in that video is dressed pretty much the same.
Mormons where just skaters all along, holy shit.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2021, 06:00:39 AM »
I think a good way to explain things to dudes who are butt hurt about females getting hooked up whom they think are less skilled than themselves is that it's simply supply and demand. There's an endless pool of talented male skaters, but women's skating is still a very small scene and needs to grow, so brands are choosing to support and promote females as much as possible even though there's still a very limited crop of women ready for that step. What they may lack in skill they make up for simply by being representatives to encourage more females to take up skating. Obviously the massive market potential is a huge motivator for the brands, but if it gets them promoting the females then it's a good thing. The level of skill is going up pretty quick and it won't be long before some of the most mediocre skating is a thing of the past.

That little fairy dress heelflipping girl is gonna be another Leticia for sure, and there's probably loads of girls coming up who aspire to skate like Alexis and Leo etc. Maite isn't really my style but aside from the silly ridiculous flailing arms she seems quite comfortable on her board and I'm sure she's inspiring countless girls to skate how they want instead of worrying about living up to some standard that's gotten kind of old.

TLDR - there's an over-supply of dudes and an under-supply of females in the skate industry. That's why it's 'easier' for girls to get hooked up. Doesn't mean it's easy.

Nahh..any of these chicks can beat Marisa Del Santo, even Alexis. As a really beautifull body linguage some of girls need to improve their style. But I dig skate girls, its cool see many girls at skate spots.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2021, 08:03:07 AM »
so i kind of want to shit on it but i also kind of loved it.

I think alot of that has to do with the fact that it was actually filmed extremely well.  was expecting shoe zoom x1000 and was pleasantly suprised.  the skate filming itself reminded me of vintage french fred so that kept me going. 

edit:  no idea that was a girl until just now.
where is home?