24 (41.4%)
8 (13.8%)
10 (17.2%)
3 (5.2%)
30+
13 (22.4%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: April 05, 2021, 09:31:00 PM

Author Topic: SLAP’s COVID Weight Loss Club  (Read 13990 times)

Algar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
Re: SLAP’s COVID Weight Loss Club
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2021, 06:55:47 AM »
Hey folks,  I’ll chime in here on what I hope to be doing to get my weight down.  First eliminate beer, second I am going to track calories with a plan of losing 1 1/2 lbs a week (using the loseit app).  Third I am going to get some substantial activity everyday, weather it is skating, biking to work or whatever, also on days where the weather sucks I’ll probability work out in my basement.

Hopefully with the weather getting nicer getting out, being more active will be pretty natural. Also without drinking I’m a lot more active as drinking just straight up makes me lazy, weather it’s being a bit hung the following day, sitting around in the afternoon/evening drinking, not getting bored to the point where I do something instead of sit around with a beer.

Finally my wife got a new bike and has been pretty ambitious and so I’ll probably be doing some longer rides which will help, we went for a 45 mile ride yesterday and she wants to do more.

Best of luck to you all!

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2021, 07:13:42 AM »
Hey folks,  I’ll chime in here on what I hope to be doing to get my weight down.  First eliminate beer, second I am going to track calories with a plan of losing 1 1/2 lbs a week (using the loseit app).  Third I am going to get some substantial activity everyday, weather it is skating, biking to work or whatever, also on days where the weather sucks I’ll probability work out in my basement.

Hopefully with the weather getting nicer getting out, being more active will be pretty natural. Also without drinking I’m a lot more active as drinking just straight up makes me lazy, weather it’s being a bit hung the following day, sitting around in the afternoon/evening drinking, not getting bored to the point where I do something instead of sit around with a beer.

Finally my wife got a new bike and has been pretty ambitious and so I’ll probably be doing some longer rides which will help, we went for a 45 mile ride yesterday and she wants to do more.

Best of luck to you all!

Good shit!  Where are you based out of?  I'm in MI, and we've had a few teases to Spring.  I've been out on my board 3 times over the last 5 or 6 weeks, and every time besides pushing and cruising, I feel like I haven't had enough reps to flip my board yet.  Looking forward to more consistent weather.

That said, I'm down about 5lbs at the moment, and the new job has my legs getting back under me.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2021, 10:52:42 AM »
Been consistently under 100 kg for a few days now, which has been sort of a barrier for at least a decade. Down 22 lbs since end of December. A rather slow process, however I am trying to lose weight in a way that will be sustainable in the long run. Never managed to sustain weight loss from more radical approaches, old habits were too tempting.

My skating is already benefiting a lot at this point. Skated 3-4 h sessions on four out of the last five days, which just wouldn’t have been possible before. What surprises me most though is how it changes the way I move and keep my balance. I thought it would mostly give me the ability to jump higher, but everything feels smoother and more controlled at the same time. Keep it up everyone!

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2021, 09:13:48 AM »

Best of luck to you all!

I track with lose it, I highly recommend that app but tracking in general is huge. Really makes you think how much you’re taking in and how to make decisions about what to take in a little better. That alone will be a huge help.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2021, 11:42:13 AM »
I pulled a muscle on my rib cage last week and gained 4 pounds back >..<
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Algar

• Rep: 28
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2021, 05:32:31 PM »
Expand Quote

Best of luck to you all!
[close]

Good shit!  Where are you based out of?  I'm in MI, and we've had a few teases to Spring.  I've been out on my board 3 times over the last 5 or 6 weeks, and every time besides pushing and cruising, I feel like I haven't had enough reps to flip my board yet.  Looking forward to more consistent weather.

That said, I'm down about 5lbs at the moment, and the new job has my legs getting back under me.

Yeah, WI here so northern Midwest as well, although I am in the southern part of the state so we’ve had at least a handful of nice days.

My buddy asked me to join his rec league softball as they were short one person, it’s pretty laid back sounding and should be fun to try something new so I’m stoked on that and it should help me stay active even if I get burned out on skating or biking which definitely happens at points

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2021, 09:16:13 PM »
I feel like there’s some outside force constantly undoing any progress I make. Like it’s totally me having no self control to turn things down, but I’d rather blame other people. Today, I rode 40km fixed gear, ended the ride with 2 beers. Came home, Chinese lunch with the in-laws. Oh, they brought a delicious Bundt cake.

A guy I work with eats every other day. His fasting day he drinks coffee and bone broth to get by. He lost 70. I don’t have that willpower and honestly it sounds horrible.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2021, 10:57:03 PM »
I feel like there’s some outside force constantly undoing any progress I make. Like it’s totally me having no self control to turn things down, but I’d rather blame other people. Today, I rode 40km fixed gear, ended the ride with 2 beers. Came home, Chinese lunch with the in-laws. Oh, they brought a delicious Bundt cake.

A guy I work with eats every other day. His fasting day he drinks coffee and bone broth to get by. He lost 70. I don’t have that willpower and honestly it sounds horrible.

I wasn’t able to lose weight for exactly this reason. None of the radical diets or fasting worked. Or if they did, I’d bounce back in no time. Counting calories using an app did the trick for me. It’s a bit of an effort and nothing I’d want to do forever, but for a limited time it’s great. Even after a few weeks it’s so revealing. For instance, I suspect the day you describe might be totally fine. Physical activities require a lot of energy. It’s when we don’t move that we eat too much, especially if we want to lose weight. A beer is compensated by a 30 min walk, so there are always options to form habits that enable other habits.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #128 on: April 07, 2021, 02:26:58 AM »
Ok, I was totally lying to myself. I had to go to the doctor for a new job and he weighed me. At 6 foot I am almost 200 pounds. That’s too heavy even though I feel I am in good shape right now. My pants fit oK and I work out twice a week plus I have been skating about three times per week. I think my prison home Workouts have really contributed to the weight gain as I have packed on extra muscle in my upper body. I will try to relax a bit with the dips and pull ups and I will do some portion control to cut some weight. And: no more beers, just white wine from now on.

A little less than 190 would be ideal for me. I am kind of a wide dude. At 6 foot tall that is not ideal for skating.

NorthShore

• Rep: 5
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2021, 09:13:52 AM »
Down to 229 from 245 today. Still some way to go but think I found a formula.

No booze, low carb, mixed exercise like battle ropes, slam ball and core strength training.

Also, and I totally underestimated, getting up from my desk in the morning at 10am and getting a 15 min bike ride and a 10 minute core class in. Sitting all day is so damaging.

How's everyone else doing?

Fhk

« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2021, 09:31:19 AM »
Down 5 lbs just by skating almost everyday for the last couple weeks. I haven't really changed anything else, but now that the ball is rolling I might cut out booze.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2021, 10:28:05 AM »
Heading into the week I was down 7 lbs with wind in my sales, but I was able to gain back 5 lbs since Last Sunday, which is amazing—weigh in before Easter dinner. I mean, I ate a good amount because Saturday because my father visited so I made a roast chicken with mashed potatoes and apple pie with Ben and Jerry’s vanilla ice cream. I‘m pretty sure it’s a false flag because I haven’t eaten that rich since Easter Sunday. If I am by myself I don’t eat that much but I’m a social eater and drinker—although I haven’t had beer since the summer cause I don’t buy or drink beer at home. My biggest problem is if there is food available I can eat and eat and not feel full and psychologically I was raised, as many of you were, to do so as a show of respect to the people at the table. Or in a drinking setting I feel I have to match or outpace the people who I am drinking with. In my head consuming large amount of food or alcohol in a social setting puts the people I am with at ease and makes them feel happy I am there and is a sign of respect to the event. I know this is totally a learned behavior but I feel like as soon as I am put into these social situations I can’t help but to eat and drink more than I need to. I’m sure I’ll be back down at next weeks weight in but just wanted to share something I’m sure many of you can relate to.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2021, 03:15:01 PM »
@GardenSkater77 bro of course sometimes I just sit and eat too, seriously who doesn’t love eating

Depends on what tastes you like but sometimes just cut up a tomato with salt and pepper and just eat it straight up. Sometimes I eat a whole bunch of them that way or even a shit tonne of salad. But I have always liked veggies

Carrots are good too cut up so appears to be more than there is you could dip them in something

Or even popcorn just make it on stove and no butter or not a lot of butter. Still way less calories than the packet ones

Unsalted nuts too?
listen to cosmic psychos

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2021, 04:29:44 PM »
 we don't have a scale here but I'm slimming the fuck up. I've loosely followed the idea of intermittent fasting, not eating between 10pm and 2pm 5 days per week, with the 2pm thing really being between 12pm-2pm. The other 2 days, I usually do the same thing but sometimes it's nice to get a hooked up breakfast burrito or bagel. Other than this, I've paid attention to how much sugar and dairy I'm taking in.

Before my partner and I started living together about 3 years ago I very rarely bought snacks, dairy products, or cooked elaborate meals. She on the other hand likes to have at sweet snack every night, drinks milk, eats bread, eats cheese, eat late, etc. I never really did that until we cohabited. Pretty much rice, beans, lentils, veggies, tortilla for years, never really eating breakfast or a big dinner. So the past couple months I've mostly gotten back to my old ways. It's kinda weird but other than staples (rice, grains, spices, seasonings) and vegetables, we started buying separate groceries to cater to the way we like to eat individually. It's like if there's a bag of cookies or something, I have a hard time not eating it, but if it's not mine, I don't touch it. Pretty sweet deal.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2021, 06:36:30 AM »
I’ve always hated working out, basically the only excercise I ever did were skateboarding, BJJ and hiking.

However, something weird has happened in the last 3 weeks or so: I started messing around with kettlebells, and I’m really starting to like it. Right now my lower back is still a bit messed up and gyms are closed, so I can’t skate or do BJJ. Trails are full of people so hiking kinda sucks right now.

Never thought I’d like weightlifting, but here we are. It’s 9:30 am right now and can’t wait to get home from work and work out. My core and upper back are starting to feel a bit stronger, so my lower back feels  better and I’m finally starting to have a good posture. Might feel confident enough to start skating again by the end of the month.

Also, I’ve been stretching for an hour everyday, whether I worked out or not. I can finally touch my toes with both hands without issues, something I’ve never really been able to do. The days I don’t do KB are the days I ride my stationary bike (i still despise running), so I’m always active.

Not gonna lie, if it wasn’t for this thread, my Kettlebell would have stayed right where it was: in the closet collecting dust and I’d be getting baked eating Doritos drinking IPA’s.

I’m not going to let this third lockdown get the better of me !

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2021, 08:39:55 AM »
I fux with this thread.

So I lost 30lbs last year, lowest I weighed was 165 but usually sat around 170. I usedthe keto diet and felt great. But like a lot of people COVID hit and I binge ate and did no excercise and  I travel for work so having to not pay for meals made it easy to binge (I legit ate a meal for two people every night for like 6 months). I’ve had several failed starts in the last year to lose the weight again. But enough is enough going to lose 30lbs currently weigh 202. This time I won’t be doing keto, it’s effective but it’s super boring and not necessarily the healthiest. I plan to eat mostly Whole Foods, no breads, no pasta or junk food. No sugar, no alcohol and drink more water. Also planning to excercise 4 hours a week in addition to skating more. Little late to lose all the weight by summer but going to try and lose as much as I can. I’ll post progress.

NorthShore

• Rep: 5
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2021, 09:32:42 AM »
I’ve always hated working out, basically the only excercise I ever did were skateboarding, BJJ and hiking.

However, something weird has happened in the last 3 weeks or so: I started messing around with kettlebells, and I’m really starting to like it. Right now my lower back is still a bit messed up and gyms are closed, so I can’t skate or do BJJ. Trails are full of people so hiking kinda sucks right now.

Never thought I’d like weightlifting, but here we are. It’s 9:30 am right now and can’t wait to get home from work and work out. My core and upper back are starting to feel a bit stronger, so my lower back feels  better and I’m finally starting to have a good posture. Might feel confident enough to start skating again by the end of the month.

Also, I’ve been stretching for an hour everyday, whether I worked out or not. I can finally touch my toes with both hands without issues, something I’ve never really been able to do. The days I don’t do KB are the days I ride my stationary bike (i still despise running), so I’m always active.

Not gonna lie, if it wasn’t for this thread, my Kettlebell would have stayed right where it was: in the closet collecting dust and I’d be getting baked eating Doritos drinking IPA’s.

I’m not going to let this third lockdown get the better of me !

Kettlebells are cool, I like to add variety with battle ropes and a slam ball. And there's a ton of core strength exercises with just body weight and maybe a light kettlebell, tons of YouTube videos. I got the Apple Fitness trial and it's actually quite good in terms of classes, even just for 10 minutes.

But yeah, adding some variety totally helps keep things interesting. Good luck!

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2021, 12:28:43 AM »
I fux with this thread.

So I lost 30lbs last year, lowest I weighed was 165 but usually sat around 170. I usedthe keto diet and felt great. But like a lot of people COVID hit and I binge ate and did no excercise and  I travel for work so having to not pay for meals made it easy to binge (I legit ate a meal for two people every night for like 6 months). I’ve had several failed starts in the last year to lose the weight again. But enough is enough going to lose 30lbs currently weigh 202. This time I won’t be doing keto, it’s effective but it’s super boring and not necessarily the healthiest. I plan to eat mostly Whole Foods, no breads, no pasta or junk food. No sugar, no alcohol and drink more water. Also planning to excercise 4 hours a week in addition to skating more. Little late to lose all the weight by summer but going to try and lose as much as I can. I’ll post progress.

Ketos been great for me too.  Been on it since mid Feb and am down like 37 pounds.  A lot of it I’m sure is due to not eating like shit every day like I was during the dark days of covid 2020, but it’s been nice to do even with infrequent exercising.  I go through a shit ton of eggs though

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2021, 08:54:09 AM »
I'm glad this thread exists. I need all the help I can get (the pandemic has been a 24-hour snackfest for me.)

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2021, 11:00:05 AM »
Intermittent fasting, not eating too much junk food, calorie counting, and staying active (squeezing in extra skate sessions, riding my bike, walking) is what I do when I notice I’ve packed on a few pounds and need to slim up a bit. Usually works pretty good in melting away a few extra pounds.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2021, 12:02:52 PM »
another update: lost 2 more pounds on the "no snacking no beer no dessert" plan. Of course I break these rules occasionally but sticking to them at least 4-5 days a week seems to do the trick. My old pants are still a little bit tight but they fit again. 7 lbs of the 10 lb goal achieved.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2021, 03:38:49 AM »
I just stepped on the scale for the first time in a week, been trying to get down to 190 and was around 195 the last month, I weigh 193 right now. I’m getting closer.
It’s also been suuuuper humid this week and I have a fast paced outdoor job and sweat a lot on the really humid days. I think that’s been helping.
I’ve also still been hitting my apartment fitness room 4-5 days a week. I just do 15-20 min of working out my arms and shoulders. 5 different arm/shoulder reps then I get on the exercise bike and do a half mile then start the process over and do it 3 times total and that comes out to around 15 minutes.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2021, 07:23:42 AM »
Not to chime in out of nowhere, but was just thinking recently about how poorly I was living when I was super thin. Basically not eating, drinking 32 oz iced coffees all day long whenever I got hungry, staying out all night, etc. Then I grew up, and really only in the last couple of years have I started to bulk up in a way that I was not too psyched on.

I got an erg (rowing machine) and do 10k meters every morning. I really haven't lost any weight, but I feel so much stronger. I could definitely just fast, I'm pretty good at denying myself food, but I'd definitely rather get strong, up my endurance, etc. Definitely not getting back into those size 29 jeans anytime ever.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2021, 04:23:10 PM »
Just weighed myself, lost seven pounds. 13 left to go to be at 195. Let’s see if I can make it to 190 by mid-summer.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2021, 04:47:12 PM »
Anybody lose weight and notice their feet get more narrow or shallow? Was curious because fitting in my shoes better would motivate me further to do this damn thing.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2021, 04:52:35 PM »
Anybody lose weight and notice their feet get more narrow or shallow? Was curious because fitting in my shoes better would motivate me further to do this damn thing.

Gaining and losing weight does have an effect on shoe size and can even go up/down a whole size
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2021, 05:05:12 PM »

I need to loose more weight to tell you but my issue is because I have broken my left leg twice I now have varicose veins that stick out and make my left leg look twenty years older than my right. I have been 15 lbs lighter but that was 5 years ago and I don’t remember the problem. But I have poor circulation in my left foot and before I go to a doctor I want to loose the 15 lbs. if I still have a problem I will get some sort of surgery but I want to see if weight loss will help the problem—I think it will help a little bit if not a lot.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2021, 05:37:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Gaining and losing weight does have an effect on shoe size and can even go up/down a whole size
Did not know it could affect the length. Was thinking more about the width and depth of my feet but that's interesting.

I need to loose more weight to tell you but my issue is because I have broken my left leg twice I now have varicose veins that stick out and make my left leg look twenty years older than my right. I have been 15 lbs lighter but that was 5 years ago and I don’t remember the problem. But I have poor circulation in my left foot and before I go to a doctor I want to loose the 15 lbs. if I still have a problem I will get some sort of surgery but I want to see if weight loss will help the problem—I think it will help a little bit if not a lot.
Best of luck with everything. Hope surgery can be avoided after your weight loss!

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2021, 09:08:30 PM »
Anyone have shoe recommendations for working out? I have some saucony running shoes that are a few years old that are way too plush. Thinking about some reeboks or something with more stability.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2021, 09:11:15 PM »

Feet might be swollen due to water retention and dieting usually jettisons that first