24 (41.4%)
8 (13.8%)
10 (17.2%)
3 (5.2%)
30+
13 (22.4%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: April 05, 2021, 09:31:00 PM

Author Topic: SLAP’s COVID Weight Loss Club  (Read 13992 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: SLAP’s COVID Weight Loss Club
« Reply #180 on: May 16, 2021, 03:50:45 PM »
Down 25 lbs now since the beginning of the year. Last few pounds have made a big difference, in combination with some relentless skating. I have not been popping Ollies with this sort of confidence for at least 10 years. Warming up at a park has gone from a depressing exercise to joyful cruising and popping over smaller obstacles. I can also take some heavy slams and be back on the board after a few days of resting. I've been skating for 30 years and I feel like I am actually progressing again. Skateboarding really saved me during this fucking pandemic.

Fuck yeah!

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2021, 02:24:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Down 25 lbs now since the beginning of the year. Last few pounds have made a big difference, in combination with some relentless skating. I have not been popping Ollies with this sort of confidence for at least 10 years. Warming up at a park has gone from a depressing exercise to joyful cruising and popping over smaller obstacles. I can also take some heavy slams and be back on the board after a few days of resting. I've been skating for 30 years and I feel like I am actually progressing again. Skateboarding really saved me during this fucking pandemic.
[close]

Fuck yeah!

:D

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2021, 09:10:28 PM »
I may have gained weight. I’ve been eating like shit and drinking a lot. So god damn busy with life, I’m just exhausted all the time. I don’t want to leave the house, or it’s been windy so I can’t skate or ride my bike.
I bought a peloton yesterday. It’ll be here on the third. I figure it’ll get me moving, since I won’t have an excuse, it’ll be in my garage. I few of my buddies have them and it’ll be fun I think to have some competitive aspect to it.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #183 on: May 25, 2021, 06:58:49 AM »
I can now wear pants I haven’t been able to wear in over two years, and my smaller fitting Large t-shirts don’t make me look like a meathead with a shirt that’s too small.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #184 on: May 25, 2021, 07:06:11 AM »
I can now wear pants I haven’t been able to wear in over two years, and my smaller fitting Large t-shirts don’t make me look like a meathead with a shirt that’s too small.

I’m happy for you. I am doing terrible. I have decided that I have to skateboard every day at lunch if I want to loose more than the 5 lbs I can’t seem to get past. My spot is .7 miles from my house so I skate there and back and skate for 20-30 minutes and come home. I’m sore as hell but I’m hoping if I keep doing this something will click and I will start being able to land tricks I can’t anymore. The goal for me was to enjoy skateboarding more so I’m just trying to push through. Also trying to ride bikes with my son but he is 8 so I don’t really break a sweat.

Thanks for checking in.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #185 on: May 25, 2021, 07:27:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m happy for you. I am doing terrible. I have decided that I have to skateboard every day at lunch if I want to loose more than the 5 lbs I can’t seem to get past. My spot is .7 miles from my house so I skate there and back and skate for 20-30 minutes and come home. I’m sore as hell but I’m hoping if I keep doing this something will click and I will start being able to land tricks I can’t anymore. The goal for me was to enjoy skateboarding more so I’m just trying to push through. Also trying to ride bikes with my son but he is 8 so I don’t really break a sweat.

Thanks for checking in.

What helps me is I’ve got a physical job and move a lot during the day, some days I can walk up to 9-10km a day just at work.  I also take a walk every night. Other than that it’s all diet and cutting out the nasty shit… oh and water, a shit ton of water.

With the warm weather coming back I think you’ll be able to shed those remaining pounds easily if you skate enough. If you’re too sore you can go for a good cruise around the hood as well.

I got back into skating after two months off but blew my back out again on Saturday plugging in my PS4 controller (I know…), so I’m probably going to have to stop skating a while, maybe stop skating altogether unfortunately. My back is so fucked.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #186 on: May 26, 2021, 03:53:28 AM »
I’m at a point now where everyday I’m really looking forward to working out and exercising.
I work mostly outside at my job and it’s super humid and hot so I sweat a ton, but it’s also been slow at work the last couple weeks so I do simple arm and shoulder work outs when I have downtime at work.

I just stepped on the scale and I’m 185.5 (after drinking two bottles of water and dropping my morning deuce).

I’ve been eating less fast food this week.
I bought chicken, broccoli, and carrot meals from my local grocery store, I’m trying to cut down on French fries and fried foods.
My apartments finally fixed the lock on the gym so it can be accessed 24/7, which is nice. I usually have to rush home after work to get in my work out because it was only open when the office was open.

When I started working out a month or two back, I was doing 15 minutes, then I got to 20, 30, yesterday I did 50 minutes.
I think if I buy more of these meal prep dinner, I can get down to 180 in like two more weeks.

I also bought some good pre workout from a local shop.
I have a friend who skates but also is pretty buff from working out a ton and I got the pre workout that he recommended, he also works there at the supplement shop and gave me a little bit of a discount (which was pretty nice of him).
I hope everyone else is doing well!

I’ve only skated once in the past month but I plan on skating on my days off from work this week. My right knee has been a little tweaked (I slipped at work about a month ago and something went wonky in my knee) and it’s been raining a ton this month. I think all the time on the exercise bike is helping my knee get stronger, at least I hope it is haha.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

NorthShore

• Rep: 5
« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2021, 11:48:13 AM »
I just had a major reminder that consistency is the key to this game.

I was 25 lb down from where I started and easily rebounded 7lb over a long weekend. Had some friends in town, ate tons of carbs, grilled out a bunch, lotta martinis... Didn't work out while they were here, had too many beers.

Now back on my routine of working out twice per day, limiting carbs and junk food and no booze. I just have to realize that overdoing it on drinks and calories is not having a 'fun time'.

Anyhow, anyone on here who slips and hits a wall. It's just a setback. It's all about the long run and healthy habits. Stay up!

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #188 on: June 02, 2021, 08:05:10 AM »
Well my dudes, finally weighed in and am close to the end goal. Last weighed at doctor's office was 166 in mid January and I came in at 145 with a full belly yesterday. When I was at peak fitness and mobility 10 years ago, I clocked in at 137 and that's where I'd like to be.

Haven't been crazy active compares to usual, but changing my eating habits/patterns has been key. Cut back on pastries/baked goods, cut out peanut butter, cut down on dairy, really paying attention to added sugars/sweeteners, not eating between 11pm-1pm. I feel good and if in that time frame I need to eat, I eat. I really think cutting out the processed food has been huge. Lots of eggs, beans, rice, salad. Eat out no more than 1x week. Sorry for the rambling. Y'all got this shit
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #189 on: June 02, 2021, 08:26:21 AM »
I bought a peloton 🤷‍♀️.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2021, 10:42:44 PM »
I'm down to 215lbs from 240lbs. It feels good. I stopped drinking during the month of June to try to get down to my target weight of 205lbs (though I seem to have encountered a bit of a plateau these past few days, hoping it is just a small obstacle).

Not drinking hasn't been much of a problem except when I pass my local tavern on the way home, especially now that things have opened up. I feel like Dicky at the end of "The Fighter" when he drops the birthday cake of at the crackhouse then licks the frosting of his finger as he walks away. But I am determined to stay steadfast in my resolve and continue making healthy decisions.

Hope all of you are getting close to your weight goals as well.

Edit: I find it pretty insane that the "ideal weight" for a 6'1" man is deemed to be 188lbs. Haven't been that in many, many moons. But when I hit 205, I can see how I feel about going further.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 10:50:20 PM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

animalflesh

« Reply #191 on: June 19, 2021, 04:34:24 AM »
I’ll go for 20

I did it, 20 lbs down

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2021, 08:51:38 PM »
I don't know if I ever posted in here or not, but I'm down about 10 lbs over the past 3 months.  It's like skating with a gallon of milk worth of body fat gone. 

I haven't done anything wild, mainly I've been commuting by bike whenever it's reasonable.  I cook alot of vegetarian meals as well.  Lots of sweet potato and sauteed veggies.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #193 on: June 21, 2021, 05:56:58 AM »
I am now 70kg/154lbs, used to be 75/165. I am happy with the weight now but have to transform some of the remaining body matter into muscles. I have started doing sit-ups but yesterday hurt my tailbone so I have to take a break from that for a few days.

Do you guys have any other tips on how to get a flat stomach without hitting the gym?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #194 on: June 21, 2021, 06:45:09 AM »
I am now 70kg/154lbs, used to be 75/165. I am happy with the weight now but have to transform some of the remaining body matter into muscles. I have started doing sit-ups but yesterday hurt my tailbone so I have to take a break from that for a few days.

Do you guys have any other tips on how to get a flat stomach without hitting the gym?

Forearm planks ;D 60 seconds, 5x, 2x/day will help.

and really, the flatness comes as more body fat peels away. Spine curvature and posture also effect the appearance of a flat stomach. You ever seen dudes with 6pack abs but sort of a belly? Its not always due to fat per say, but rather how they hold themselves upright

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #195 on: June 21, 2021, 06:49:36 AM »
I found most of the weight I lost, I think. Or it at least feels that. Honestly, I’m too scared to hop on the scale and check. But my pop has been arguably the same since I lost the weight, but while my wife was out of town I ate like garbage and fucking hate myself for it. This shits causing me to be pretty bummed out lately, not gonna lie pals.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #196 on: June 21, 2021, 07:14:25 AM »
Don’t beat yourself up bro. I thought posting this thread would give me a better chance at loosing my goal weight but I’m near about as fat as when I started. Turns out I have very little will power.

The positive is that I have skated more in the last month than I have in 12 years (since before the birth of my daughter) and it is all street. Before I couldn’t skate for an hour without wanting to stop and now I can go out for a two hour session w/o sitting down. Granted, I’m mostly pushing and ollieing but I feel much better on my board.

I realize that the only physical exercise I can bring myself to do is skateboarding. So my goal is to keep skating as much as I can and try to eat better.

Happy for @Thom

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #197 on: June 21, 2021, 08:51:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

and really, the flatness comes as more body fat peels away. Spine curvature and posture also effect the appearance of a flat stomach. You ever seen dudes with 6pack abs but sort of a belly? Its not always due to fat per say, but rather how they hold themselves upright

Cheers bro, I‘ll give those planks a shot.

Also, keeping the weight down  will now be a challenge but I love that a lot of people have complimented me on my new weight and I would hate to relapse.
why come?

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #198 on: June 21, 2021, 09:57:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Also, keeping the weight down  will now be a challenge but I love that a lot of people have complimented me on my new weight and I would hate to relapse.

Hell yeah, bro! Forearm planks with palms flat on the floor, rather than fists or whatever, help the work happen in the core as opposed to using your fist/wrist/arms to hold you up. Try em both and see the difference.

Also, regarding keeping it off, what helps me is seeing it all as a lifestyle switch. Its a little bit od work but its a real thing.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: June 21, 2021, 10:15:38 AM »
Anyone here into swimming laps for getting in better shape ? They just built a brand-new aquatic centre about 2km from my house and I’m curious.

Been injured for almost a month, the weight I lost is coming back due to a lack of activity and honestly, a shitty comfort food-based diet and it’s driving me mad.

Once my back gets in better shape I’m going to go swim some laps because I fucking hate running.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #200 on: June 21, 2021, 02:35:38 PM »
Anyone here into swimming laps for getting in better shape ? They just built a brand-new aquatic centre about 2km from my house and I’m curious.

Been injured for almost a month, the weight I lost is coming back due to a lack of activity and honestly, a shitty comfort food-based diet and it’s driving me mad.

Once my back gets in better shape I’m going to go swim some laps because I fucking hate running.

I think swimming is the best exercise to add to skateboarding. Easy on the joints, utilizes the full body, can be done at a slow pace to burn fat. Also, refreshing, kind of meditative, puts you in a good headspace, especially in the morning. Just take it easy at the beginning, maybe follow some instructions about how to start out. It’s very easy to overdo, you won’t feel exhaustion in the same way as with skating or running. First time I went I did a fast-paced 30 mins and almost dropped to the floor as I was getting out of the water. Didn’t feel that coming at all while swimming.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #201 on: June 21, 2021, 08:19:52 PM »
If you swim laps, just be real careful when you come up to the wall. I know a guy who got a TBI smashing into the wall before turning around, and he has had a lot of problems functioning since then.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: June 23, 2021, 04:45:11 AM »
I’ve been stuck around 187lbs the last few weeks, but since I’m going to the gym 6 days a week and doing intense cardio and lots of weight lifting, I can see the muscle growth in my arms and shoulders, so I’m hoping/assuming the reason I haven’t lost weight is because I’m building muscle while losing fat.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #203 on: July 05, 2021, 11:34:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hell yeah, bro! Forearm planks with palms flat on the floor, rather than fists or whatever, help the work happen in the core as opposed to using your fist/wrist/arms to hold you up. Try em both and see the difference.

Also, regarding keeping it off, what helps me is seeing it all as a lifestyle switch. Its a little bit od work but its a real thing.

I've been doing the planks every evening, at first I couldn't even do five X 1 min. but now I got them.

The weight is still down at 70 kilo, trying to burn some of that lower belly fat.

Anyhow, I had to go to the tailor today to have all my suits tightened as they are looking as baggy as a mid 90ies skate outfit on my new skinny body. That's gonna cost me a grand, thanks Slap  ;D
why come?

marley $kate

• Rep: -21
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #204 on: July 05, 2021, 11:59:51 AM »
im Liking..

yokohama fm

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 12:06:56 PM by marley $kate »
kick

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #205 on: July 05, 2021, 08:03:08 PM »
I’ve been doing the peloton 2-3x a week. Should be doing more but life’s stupid and chaotic lately. There’s a gym that opens at 5am half a mile away, and it’s only $15/month for a basic membership. Thinking why not. I need to really work on my core and posture, on top of everything else that’s wrong with me old ass. I just don’t know what to do, and I’m intimidated by gyms. $15 is cheaper than setting up a home gym like I was planning on, and it’ll save space in the garage for other stuff.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #206 on: July 05, 2021, 08:52:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I've been doing the planks every evening, at first I couldn't even do five X 1 min. but now I got them.

The weight is still down at 70 kilo, trying to burn some of that lower belly fat.

Anyhow, I had to go to the tailor today to have all my suits tightened as they are looking as baggy as a mid 90ies skate outfit on my new skinny body. That's gonna cost me a grand, thanks Slap  ;D

Heck ya, bud! I got into those forearm planks when I was practicing Hatha Yoga with my 70+ year old teacher and her group of 70+ year old gals. Man, they'd be holding forearm planks for 2minutes, 5-7 sets. The trick was she would be talking and telling stories to distract us. Anyways, glad you have them in your repertoire!

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #207 on: July 06, 2021, 06:13:24 AM »
I’ve been doing the peloton 2-3x a week. Should be doing more but life’s stupid and chaotic lately. There’s a gym that opens at 5am half a mile away, and it’s only $15/month for a basic membership. Thinking why not. I need to really work on my core and posture, on top of everything else that’s wrong with me old ass. I just don’t know what to do, and I’m intimidated by gyms. $15 is cheaper than setting up a home gym like I was planning on, and it’ll save space in the garage for other stuff.
I understand feeling intimidated by the gym but it’s def a good place to go.
Getting my planet fitness membership is the best thing that had happened for me trying to build muscle and burn fat. It could be great help for you too.
I’ve also been watching a lot of videos on which weight lifting stuff is best for what I want and common technique mistakes to avoid. Which has been a good help for me.

I’m a fat Siamese cat.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #208 on: July 06, 2021, 09:15:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I understand feeling intimidated by the gym but it’s def a good place to go.
Getting my planet fitness membership is the best thing that had happened for me trying to build muscle and burn fat. It could be great help for you too.
I’ve also been watching a lot of videos on which weight lifting stuff is best for what I want and common technique mistakes to avoid. Which has been a good help for me.

Not that I want to see anyone skate w/o a shirt I did note that you look in better shape on your last clip.

Good on you. I didn’t meet my goal but I am trying to eat better and move around more.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #209 on: July 14, 2021, 09:52:30 PM »
Down to 207lbs and evidently my blood sugar levels and liver enzymes are back within normal range.  Blood pressure is consistently pretty reasonable as well.

While I can't remember what a slice of pizza tastes like, I'm def proud of myself for opting for the salads and veggie plates, especially after hearing the behind the scenes stuff. Hope everyone else is seeing their desired results. Good luck.