Author Topic: Ending 18 Year Skate Hiatus, Help On Board?  (Read 446 times)

pogginvoom2890

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Ending 18 Year Skate Hiatus, Help On Board?
« on: March 07, 2021, 06:36:36 PM »
Hi Everyone:

It's been about 18 years since doing any kind of serious skating. I think my street days are done, but I would like to hit some of the local mini ramps (3' - 5') and maybe concrete pools (5' - 8', although probably not hitting coping).

I am about 170 lbs, 5'10", shoe 9.5.  I was hoping to find a durable board that would last a good while. I have always ridden Indy trucks, so I figured i would stick with those.  It's been a long time since I bought a board, so I did some research and I am wondering does this seem like a decent setup? Anything I should change?

- 5Boro, Width 8.5", Length 32", Wheelbase 14.25"
- Indy Stage 11 Standard 149
- Indy hardware
- Bones 81B 58MM wheels
- Bones medium bushings
- Jessup grip
- Bones Swiss bearings

Thanks for the help!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
Re: Ending 18 Year Skate Hiatus, Help On Board?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 11:57:28 PM »
Welcome back, I started skating again after 20 years last spring and exactly one year later I can say it was a good idea and I have a lot of fun.  I still skate street only.  I would not limit yourself to transition just because you are/feel old and think that‘s what old guys are doing.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 01:36:23 AM »
Sounds like a good setup and a comfortable ride, much the same as some of my boards in dimensions, along with many others on here too.  My go to board is around the 8.5 size from Antihero, Real or Krooked with Jessup grip, Indy 149s, Spitfire 99 duro 56mm wheels, Bones swiss bearings, Shortys hardware.  I have some boards with wheels down to 50 mm and others with thin risers and 60 mm wheels, but pretty much all the same everything else.

A couple of things (from a shop guy perspective) that may be of interest.

All normal Indy trucks come with 90 duro bushings, that are actually a way better product than what they once were, so in getting those you already have soft to medium bushings that will last and work really well for normal skating.

Bones bushings do break more easily than others, but they also do get softer over time, so depending on how tight or loose you want your trucks, I would say either skip the medium bushings (91 duro), or go for the Bones hard (96 duro) if you are wanting Bones bushings, only because 58mm wheels are going to give you a lot of wheelbite without risers, so slightly tighter trucks might be a better option for starting out, and then as the hard bushings wear in and soften up some, it might make it more comfortable for you to ride.  Only if the Indy stock bushings are not what you are after though.

Get 1" deck bolts / hardware, not 7/8" as they will not fit comfortably unless they are Shortys 7/8" (which have lower nut height) which is what I use.  With 1" you can still get thin risers on the board too, which might be helpful with big wheels, eg something like Bones 1/8" or Mini Logo .10" are perfect.  Risers are not essential, but do help a bit, as well as being fairly easy to put on or take off too.  You can always get these later too.

Bones wheels are one of the hardest and fastest, not to mention longest lasting and least likely to flatspot, on the market.  The size 58 mm is definitely great for going fast and getting a better ride than small wheels, but the average of around 54 to 56 mm is more common.  Also the duro being in the B rating is about the same as 101A, so yeah the hardest wheels on the market.  If you were after something super hard and fast, they will definitely be a great wheel, but if you were after something not quite so hard, there are slightly softer options, around 97 duro just to take the edge off and not be quite so slippery, or 95 for decent grip.  Anything below that, eg 90 duro is almost soft cruiser board wheel hardness, which is awesome for just rolling round having fun, but not so much if you want to skate nomally, do tricks, etc.

Spitfire has come a long way in 18 years too, now the Formula Four option is pretty much the go to for many people who were not so happy with the original formula, also very flatspot resistant and really good wheels, lots of shapes, sizes, also in 97, 99 and 101 duro too.

I think that is about it.  There are a lot of great local shops out there who can give you good helpful advice, but it also comes down to whatever the shop has in stock, which is even more important if you are getting a complete and don't want to get some things from here and some from there.

At the end of the day, getting something that will be good to ride is more important than anything else and there are so many options out there nowdays it can almost be too much sometimes when looking at different places.

Good luck and I am always interested to hear or see what you end up getting.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 09:53:48 AM »
Don't swap out the indy bushings, the bones will crumble quicker
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 02:24:52 PM »
8.5"
149s-  leave them stock
53/54mm wheels 99a (what surface is the mini?)

pogginvoom2890

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 08:31:38 AM »
I would not limit yourself to transition just because you are/feel old and think that‘s what old guys are doing.

Good advice.  Maybe I should try to hit some of the pyramids and funboxes.  Stairs and rails seem a little more scary now than they used to.

All normal Indy trucks come with 90 duro bushings, that are actually a way better product than what they once were, so in getting those you already have soft to medium bushings that will last and work really well for normal skating.

Ok I am going with just the standard Indy bushsings.

Get 1" deck bolts / hardware, not 7/8" as they will not fit comfortably unless they are Shortys 7/8" (which have lower nut height) which is what I use.

Ok I got the Indy 1" bolts.

The size 58 mm is definitely great for going fast and getting a better ride than small wheels, but the average of around 54 to 56 mm is more common.

Ok I ended up going 56mm instead of 58mm.  Thanks for that tip.  I also got the Indy 1/8" risers.

Don't swap out the indy bushings, the bones will crumble quicker

Ok I am sticking with the stanard Indy bushings.  Thanks.

53/54mm wheels 99a (what surface is the mini?)

The mini ramp is outdoor masonite. It is kind of old and crappy so it seems to have a little more grip than a fresh new skatelite, AFAIK.

Thanks to you all very much for the advice.  I ended up grabbing a board from Tactics.  I will report back with my results.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 09:03:52 AM »
its good to build balance off the board and do muscle rolling ...I recommend these when you have 15 min in the home

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 11:49:02 AM »
Expand Quote
I would not limit yourself to transition just because you are/feel old and think that‘s what old guys are doing.
[close]

Good advice.  Maybe I should try to hit some of the pyramids and funboxes.  Stairs and rails seem a little more scary now than they used to.

Pyramids and funboxes are easy to relearn stuff on if they are not to steep. I almost have the impression that some stuff is easier on a slight incline than on flat, e.g. pop shove its for me. Plus if you rocket kickflips on a bank it will look more aesthetic than on flat.  ;D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 02:08:50 PM »
Get those basic flatground, rolling ollies over shit back ASAP, get some powerslides going, manuals (even if you sucked at them) rolling off curbs, really the basics of controlling you and your board, gotta get your skate legs back!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 02:28:09 PM by Xen »