Author Topic: Board Orientation  (Read 336 times)

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
Board Orientation
« on: March 07, 2021, 07:41:23 PM »
A concept that I get in my head about. On something like a shove to manual, which orientation do you ride your board? Start with it backwards so you land in the manual with your usual orientation, or pop it normal and land in the manual with your board backwards?

It feels most comfortable for me to land in the manual/grind with my proper orientation, but popping backwards can feel awkward. Curious what most people do.

jimgrude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 66
Re: Board Orientation
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 09:43:19 PM »
I definitely start in whatever orientation I would for doing it on flat. I need more precision for the pop than I do for the manual, as they are unpredictable by nature. If, however, I'm doing a trick out of the manual, I might switch it up depending on the trick.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 10:21:23 AM »
For me it depends on what trick in the line will be most difficult for me. For a shove to manual, it's not the hardest trick, so I'd probably start with the board backwards so that I manual with normal orientation, but only because it would mean that I'm finishing the manual with my board oriented as normal and whatever (maybe more difficult) trick is next in the line, I'm set up as usual.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 11:13:44 AM »
It's important to me to always skate my board the same way, which is nose in front for everything regular and nollie, and tail in front for everything else. Whether or not I'm going to catch it the wrong way onto a ledge or manny pad after a spin is completely disregarded, whatever happens I need to set up normally then go from there. Personal logic is the board being backwards shouldn't affect one's ability to flip out if they can actually do the flip trick out. Switching the board around for the roll up would actually feel very unpleasant and randomize my attempts.

That also means that on flat, if my board ends up the wrong way during a line I'll have to do a shove-it type of trick to correct its orientation.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 03:53:00 PM »
i ride my board backwards for any shove or varial flip. can be managed the other way, but i prefer to start backwards - my thinking is that I'm going to keep going after I do whatever the trick was, so i want my board to be around the right way for everything else...

admittedly, sometimes i'll get a bit awkward and fuck up just rolling up to the shove/varial before I get to it because of the backwards board, rarely, but sometimes. the board was gonna be backwards at some point though - for me I'd rather fuck up before the trick than after.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice