Author Topic: Diy skate decks  (Read 764 times)

thomgraham4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Diy skate decks
« on: March 10, 2021, 09:18:22 AM »
I was thinking of making some decks at home, I found a place where I can buy genuine Canadian maple ply sheets designed for skateboards and glue. I was planning as using two old skateboards that are the same brand/model as a mold, I'll put the ply wood between the two decks and then clamp them together to serve as a mold. I was wondering if it is worth trying it or if all DIY skateboards are bad? Like, if I try this and do it properly with no mistakes will the skateboard actually be skateable and not snap on the second day?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Diy skate decks
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 08:05:25 AM »
i was just pondering this this morning. how long would it take to just cut out a skateboard by hand out of a block of wood and then sand it down close to the way you want it to? assuming you had even just some basic wood working tools maybe a bandsaw or table saw or something.

would it be shit if its not done in the 7 plies? I imagine that gives it most of its structural strength.

i dont care if its not perfect but it would be cool to make my own board that i coudl actually skate. like chico put tat 2x4 on wheels and skated the shit out of that, id like something at least slightly better than that. i think the way they do the plywood they have to press it immediately after the glue the sheets together so it can dry in that shape, dont think its possible to bend it after the fact. so i think id have to make it a lot thicker than a normal plywood board if it was to last decently long
ONTARIO CANADA

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 10:42:09 AM »
for slappys and stuff it might be ok but as soon as you really tried popping on it it probably wouldnt last long. not tryna discourage but it would be a bummer to spend more time making it than it being able to be skated. post it if you do make it though

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 09:31:37 PM »

One of the guys I know who got a press and made his own board using what he thought was the same everything as a real woodshop had disasterous results.

First deck, snapped the tail clean off on the first ollie.

Second deck similar though he went easier on it but it still only lasted a few sessions.

Now he has some serious knowledge and quality, but it took him way longer to get there than he thought.  The main thing being the quality of the ply veneers, which he was told were one thing but turned out to be something else, definitely not "rock maple" or the variants of it that are best for decks.

Using a piece of plywood board from a hardware store, even up to 18 or 24 mm thick and just cutting out a flat skateboard is fun but still doesn't hold up to anything other than just rolling round on it.

For a cruiser or even a replica of a 60s or 70s board, it is fun though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.