Author Topic: The Courthouse's Days are Numbered?  (Read 5683 times)

TheLurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
The Courthouse's Days are Numbered?
« on: March 10, 2021, 02:59:28 PM »
I recently stumbled upon this article about how the Courthouse property is up for sale and it might not be around too long.

This is old news, but I didn't see any threads that discussed this. Man, this would be a huge bummer. I love skating Stoner and then heading over to the Courthouse to fuck around for a bit.

https://westsidetoday.com/2018/10/26/westside-skate-plaza/

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
Re: The Courthouse's Days are Numbered?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 03:06:01 PM »
Looks like you're right
In October 2020 at a Community Preview of the Development Proposals for the West LA Civic Center, it was revealed that neither development team plans to keep the fountain or site features that make up the current skate plaza.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_LA_Courthouse_skate_plaza

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 04:39:25 PM »
bump

anyone have any more information on this? today was the first I had heard of it
only other bit of info i was able to find was vlog talking about it

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 05:30:26 PM »
bump

this just pop'd into my YouTube feed today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFTnUWSuyYE

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 05:40:48 PM »
Maybe we’ll get lucky and they’ll demo Corrigan with the spot
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 05:45:18 PM »
good riddance

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -478
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 05:48:31 PM »
My buddy works there . Its there till 2023.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 05:57:54 PM »
you can sell a courthouse? to who?

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 06:14:09 PM »

Chris Roberts bought it. He didn’t want anyone to one up his only claim to fame.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 06:14:33 PM »
me

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 06:31:00 PM »
good riddance

?!

How is a bust free, super fun skate spot getting torn out a good thing? If you preferred the original before it got renovated I can understand maybe wishing it was still the OG version, but being happy a spot is getting torn out? I'm curious what would provoke a "good riddance" response...

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 06:38:12 PM »

I get that Skate YouTube isnt everyone's thing, but he is genuinely a decent dude that is good at skateboarding and doesnt seem like he's a dick or vibes anyone ever. Also seems more than willing to help people learn. I don't get the hate.
ok thanks

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 06:42:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I get that Skate YouTube isnt everyone's thing, but he is genuinely a decent dude that is good at skateboarding and doesnt seem like he's a dick or vibes anyone ever. Also seems more than willing to help people learn. I don't get the hate.

I know him from back East. We skated together quite a bit.  His YouTube persona is not what I know of him. Not saying people can’t change but what I see is not the person I know/knew
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 06:47:02 PM »
Expand Quote
good riddance
[close]

?!

How is a bust free, super fun skate spot getting torn out a good thing? If you preferred the original before it got renovated I can understand maybe wishing it was still the OG version, but being happy a spot is getting torn out? I'm curious what would provoke a "good riddance" response...

typical SLAP anti-West Coast bias

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 06:53:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I know him from back East. We skated together quite a bit.  His YouTube persona is not what I know of him. Not saying people can’t change but what I see is not the person I know/knew

Understand. I've talked to him through DMs but definitely not the same experience you've had, no doubt. Thanks.
ok thanks

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 06:53:59 PM »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 07:01:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The controlling party in AZ actually sold their capitol to a corporation and bought it back a few years later at a huge cost.

https://www.cc.com/video/9v8aeq/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-arizona-state-capitol-building-for-sale

https://www.thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/425400-arizona-to-buy-back-its-state-capitol%3famp

this feels like something straight out of 30 rock

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

BugleBites

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2021, 07:09:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
good riddance
[close]

?!

[close]

I'm pretty sure Honey Island lives in LA/California so I don't think that's it. My question was sincere, and if I had to take a guess I'd wager the courthouse has become somewhat of a vortex that sucks people in due to the bust free nature, so some locals may resent it when lazy friends go there instead of skating "real" street spots. I know of spots/parks in other cities that locals have a love/hate relationship for the same reasons. But I think being happy it's gone is a bit much.

I visit California a lot, and never got to skate the original courthouse... but I'm being 100% honest when I say it's easily one of my favorite spots I've ever skated. Possibly #1 for me. I remember spending 5 weeks in Barcelona wondering when we'd skate a spot that good, and it never happened. I'm a big fan of straight up ledges and flatground with lots of space. In Barcelona we mostly skated uneven tile or asphalt ground spots, and nothing I remember skating was as wide open without tons of people milling about. Courthouse is huge, smooth and not crowded with pedestrians. Plus there's lots of shade and stores right next to the spot for food and drinks. I'm bummed there's a chance I won't get to skate it again before it's gone.

But I digress... Honey Island - am I correct about the vortex resentment?

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2021, 07:14:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
good riddance
[close]

?!

[close]

[close]

I'm pretty sure Honey Island lives in LA/California so I don't think that's it. My question was sincere, and if I had to take a guess I'd wager the courthouse has become somewhat of a vortex that sucks people in due to the bust free nature, so some locals may resent it when lazy friends go there instead of skating "real" street spots. I know of spots/parks in other cities that locals have a love/hate relationship for the same reasons. But I think being happy it's gone is a bit much.

I visit California a lot, and never got to skate the original courthouse... but I'm being 100% honest when I say it's easily one of my favorite spots I've ever skated. Possibly #1 for me. I remember spending 5 weeks in Barcelona wondering when we'd skate a spot that good, and it never happened. I'm a big fan of straight up ledges and flatground with lots of space. In Barcelona we mostly skated uneven tile or asphalt ground spots, and nothing I remember skating was as wide open without tons of people milling about. Courthouse is huge, smooth and not crowded with pedestrians. Plus there's lots of shade and stores right next to the spot for food and drinks. I'm bummed there's a chance I won't get to skate it again before it's gone.

if u ever spent 5 weeks in spain and was thinking about the courthouse the entire time, u should quit skating and come sell potatoes with me in the balkans

for real though, i don't know anyone who skates the courthouse or even goes to santa monica from out east

BugleBites

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 07:46:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
good riddance
[close]

?!

[close]

[close]

[close]

if u ever spent 5 weeks in spain and was thinking about the courthouse the entire time, u should quit skating and come sell potatoes with me in the balkans

for real though, i don't know anyone who skates the courthouse or even goes to santa monica from out east

Yeah, I know my friends in LA would prefer not to go there. It's interesting to me. Probably have to live there to have that mindset. To me it's just an incredibly good/iconic skate spot.

Barcelona needs a re-do for me. Doesn't seem right to leave it as the worst trip I've ever been on (there were extenuating circumstances). But it's crazy expensive to go there vs driving down the coast to California so it's hard to justify another trip when I know I'll always have a blast closer to home. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 08:03:59 PM by BugleBites »

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2021, 09:00:53 PM »
i live pretty close by, bummer

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 11:18:43 PM »
i live pretty close by, bummer

Yeah, must be a bummer to live in LA

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2021, 01:38:45 AM »
A buddy of mine just recently went to Cali and even though he was right by the court house he didn't know skated at all kinda blew my mind. I will never make it out to Cali but man I would at least get a couple clips if I made it all the way out there

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2021, 10:32:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
good riddance
[close]

?!

[close]

[close]

[close]

Heh, I'm from out east =D It's a fun spot, not really overcrowded and usually a good crowd of all skill levels (good alternative to stoner which is always packed and slippery AF); sucked that the small stairs got fenced.

I haven't been since right before covid (some of those wall ride marks over the stairs are mine); there's literally nothing to skate out here in SM (I live there), the ground sucks everywhere, DT SM is literally nothing and any 'spot' which is usually just curbs are so far apart it's pointless to skate around, and why would you when you can go downtown LA?

There are what, two iconic spots out here? The Pier set and the Courthouse...the DMV is you are into slappies (but no double sided).

Red Eyed Swimmer

• Rep: 2
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2021, 10:39:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Chris Roberts bought it. He didn’t want anyone to one up his only claim to fame.
Too late, Dilo just body-bagged him a week or so ago

veritas

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2021, 01:24:47 PM »
Why couldn’t it be j kwon

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2021, 03:34:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

His youtube voice isn't even that cringey. Talks more normal than most "wHaTs uP YoUtUbE!" types on there.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2021, 04:47:35 PM »
this thread is intolerable

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2021, 04:48:03 PM »
bump

Mackenzie Eisenhower of TWS posted about it a while back. Back in February he mentioned there was a 3 month window until it got torn down. It’s now early May. Either it’s happening in the next few weeks, or construction plans were paused. I wouldn’t count on it being there for much longer though

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLuVG-7Friw/?igshid=1b0ekf6nu21xh
fuck you bama

pbj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2021, 05:08:41 PM »
Expand Quote
bump

[close]
Mackenzie Eisenhower of TWS posted about it a while back. Back in February he mentioned there was a 3 month window until it got torn down. It’s now early May. Either it’s happening in the next few weeks, or construction plans were paused. I wouldn’t count on it being there for much longer though

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLuVG-7Friw/?igshid=1b0ekf6nu21xh

i'd imagine the city isn't that interested in incorporating any skate-friendly design without any specific financial backing.
it would be cool to see some part of it memorialized or repurposed, but i'm not so sure that would happen