Author Topic: The Courthouse's Days are Numbered?  (Read 5682 times)

TheLurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Courthouse's Days are Numbered?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2021, 05:19:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
bump

anyone have any more information on this? today was the first I had heard of it
only other bit of info i was able to find was vlog talking about it
[close]
Mackenzie Eisenhower of TWS posted about it a while back. Back in February he mentioned there was a 3 month window until it got torn down. It’s now early May. Either it’s happening in the next few weeks, or construction plans were paused. I wouldn’t count on it being there for much longer though

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLuVG-7Friw/?igshid=1b0ekf6nu21xh
[close]

i'd imagine the city isn't that interested in incorporating any skate-friendly design without any specific financial backing.
it would be cool to see some part of it memorialized or repurposed, but i'm not so sure that would happen

Hey, Montreal did it with Big-O... and LA has to have some idea that skateboarding plays a role in its global image.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

codymacfan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2021, 11:37:52 AM »
This video at the end also says construction is unlikely until 2023. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnZicXXeZk4

Also, this press release from one of the developers hints at community NIMBY-ism already happening (in my opinion; maybe there was a good reason). Maybe if enough NIMBYs advocate for the stage or ledges to be repurposed, it will happen. https://abodecommunities.org/avalonbay-abode-communities-team-selected-to-develop-west-la-civic-center-site/

LA City Councilman Mike Bonin noted that an extensive community outreach process lies ahead for the project, adding that the plans for West LA Commons already have been refined to reflect community feedback by scaling back the originally proposed 23-story tower to no higher than 8 stories.

This FAQ may provide some useful information from the Supervisor's website: https://supervisorkuehl.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/WLA-FAQs-Updated.pdf

What will happen to the West LA Courthouse Skate Plaza and the Bandshell?
While the Civic Center is not an officially designated skateboarding facility, such street skateboarding activity has been decriminalizedand is expected to remain so. There will be stakeholder discussion regarding the Bandshell and desired amenities for the community open space.

This would be a great opportunity for a final "Bust or Bail" type event before they actually lock the campus down, but who wants to see NBDs of manuals?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2021, 09:03:48 PM »
This would be a great opportunity for a final "Bust or Bail" type event before they actually lock the campus down, but who wants to see NBDs of manuals?
The outledge at the entrance would be cool.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2021, 05:47:48 AM »
Go start hacking out the bits u like.

codymacfan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2021, 12:41:08 PM »
Go start hacking out the bits u like.

Better yet, get Berra and Koston to move all of the obstacles into another warehouse. Berrics 3.0.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2022, 09:46:39 AM »
Okay cause I’ve posted it before and I guess it gets lost . It’s not going anywhere right now . My friend works for the county in that building . They’re held up for like at least another or year or two . The real battle now is the idiot who runs the farmers market is wasting his money trying like clean the stage or something but development is nowhere near close to starting . I asked like 3 weeks ago when we were shopping for blood oranges. So yeah. And a petition isn’t gonna save it the county already sold the land to develop low income housing .
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2022, 09:54:21 AM »
So maybe we’ll get to see Jaws Ollie off of that thing…..

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2022, 10:57:44 AM »
Okay cause I’ve posted it before and I guess it gets lost . It’s not going anywhere right now . My friend works for the county in that building . They’re held up for like at least another or year or two . The real battle now is the idiot who runs the farmers market is wasting his money trying like clean the stage or something but development is nowhere near close to starting . I asked like 3 weeks ago when we were shopping for blood oranges. So yeah. And a petition isn’t gonna save it the county already sold the land to develop low income housing .
I will believe that affordable housing is going up in that neighborhood when I see people in the built units. What's gonna happen is they are going to build the bare minimum amount of affordable housing that is mandated by that municipalities laws and then the rest will be "luxury condos" that will be more expensive than someone with a middle class income can afford. LA is fucked until they get the real estate tiger by the tail and start actually changing some laws that help tenants.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2022, 11:29:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I will believe that affordable housing is going up in that neighborhood when I see people in the built units. What's gonna happen is they are going to build the bare minimum amount of affordable housing that is mandated by that municipalities laws and then the rest will be "luxury condos" that will be more expensive than someone with a middle class income can afford. LA is fucked until they get the real estate tiger by the tail and start actually changing some laws that help tenants.

Are you sure its an inclusionary zoning project, or will it be 100% affordable. Are you speculating or know for sure? Lot of HHH money going unspent.
(sorry, this is what I do for a living)
ok thanks

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2022, 11:36:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Most likely . I don’t ask the specifics that’s just what I know cause my buddy works there and I’ll always pop by to have a smoke and skate the fountain if he’s in the office. I know some of the projects for low income housing are more just targeted for certain county paid professions like teachers. There’s a building in Hollywood thats newish and modern and is mainly subsidized for teachers . I’ve done some work with some county homeless off shoots and remembered them telling me they used those buildings to try and house the more stable and wanting of their clientele. It’s all fucked but hopefully it ends up helping someone .

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2022, 11:43:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Are you sure its an inclusionary zoning project, or will it be 100% affordable. Are you speculating or know for sure? Lot of HHH money going unspent.

I’ll ask . I don’t really know the specifics . I know that is part of the plan though. I try not to Ask much cause then I’m reminded of the wealth inequality and the fact that I’m mad they’re gonna year down my favorite skate spot to try and help people and I feel like a dick haha . When I see him or someone from their office next I’ll let update if anyone cares.

It’s been a while since we went over what exactly the plan is I typically just ask every couple months when demo starts. They gated the one building off but that was just cause it’s abandoned and they had a problem with homeless sleeping in it cause they never shut off the power, so that’s just been sitting there with the lights on for nearly a decade wasting money. Not sure the full specifics on timeline either cause I think a couple senators still work out of that office like Ted Lieu . 

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2022, 01:06:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I'm definitely speculating but it's a story I've seen play out time and again over the past couple of decades. There is absolutely mandated affordable housing in places like Marina del Rey and Santa Monica but the amount is so vanishingly small it doesn't wind up making any kind of difference to renters. For the people who get in there, it's akin to winning the lottery. The developer and city officials have covered their ass legally and the new units that aren't earmarked as affordable go on the market with slightly above market value rents because they're new units in desirable areas with all mod cons. And the cycle of rent inflation continues, using the very tools designed to slow it.

The one thing going for this turning out to be 100% affordable housing is that the neighborhood isn't that nice. I'm sure businesses and residents already there would like it to be much nicer so there would likely be resistance to 100% affordable. Another factor is that, while the courthouse is an LA zip code, it's very close to where it switches to a Santa Monica zip code. This brings up a lotta jurisdictional issues and sometimes no city's cops go there. This issue fucked up parts of West Hollywood up until around 2010 and is currently popping off in the zone I live in. This makes me wonder if there's a similar laissez faire approach to real estate deals in these neutral zones.

Sorry for the salt. I'm a cynical LA resident stuck in an overpriced west side dump and I know if I move my rent will only go up, no matter which move I make.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2022, 01:19:05 PM »
Strange that the Court is selling the property since they are desperate for space and need to lease property from the federal government and the private sector. The Court does not own the stage or ledges (or likely anything past the front stairs), it's all part of City of Los Angeles.