Author Topic: TYSHAWN REMASTERED /// Tyshawn talks on design updates to his signature models  (Read 2494 times)

Reed Richards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
https://youtu.be/d-hY_MkdBmA
Cool to hear Tyshawn and SJ talk shop.  Here's a link to the remastered shoes in the video.
https://www.adidas.com/us/tyshawn-remastered-shoes/IG5278.html

Daydream

• Rep: 64
It is. The ending had me ready to grab his shoulders and shake him. but agree the rest of the gif was good, and insightful. Made me want a pair of remastered lows

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Cool I like the Tyshawn mid a bunch and will grab a pair of the new ones

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
Never tried the lows but the mids are my fav shoe to skate. Enjoyed my first pair so much that I bought two more.

The Adidas site also shows a remastered mid in 2 colours https://www.adidas.ca/en/tyshawn-remastered-shoes/IG5271.html but not sure if that's a mistake or not. Can't see any differences between them but the description is different than the one for the first Tyshawn Mid's and doesn't mention low profile like the 2 colour link OP posted. I like the carbon colourway though.

*edit Well the differences are explained in the description I guess... Unless they just added a few gimmicky proprietary names to things the shoe already had fuck I don't know.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 07:29:19 PM by Steely Daniel »

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
There was like a dark grey/military blue looking model that might tempt me into finally trying a pair

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
I've had 10+ pairs of the original mids over the last 3-4 years. Will deffo be getting these at some point. I hope they haven't messed with the fit and feel too much.

Wish they'd stuck some hidden lace loops on, my only gripe with them is that you go through laces like nothing else if you skate a lot of flat/flip tricks.

Hallux Limitus

• Rep: 0
Anyone try the mid remastered yet? How do they compare to the OGs?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
Wasn’t the Suciu 2 essentially just a revamped Suciu 1 because they found a bunch of production issues when the shoe actually went to market? Sounds like the same thing happened here. Why is adidas putting out multiple shoes that have seemingly production/fit issues but trying to spin it like they’re actually just perfecting the model?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
Wasn’t the Suciu 2 essentially just a revamped Suciu 1 because they found a bunch of production issues when the shoe actually went to market? Sounds like the same thing happened here. Why is adidas putting out multiple shoes that have seemingly production/fit issues but trying to spin it like they’re actually just perfecting the model?

That seems like the case, but (maybe this is naive of me) it feels like the design changes came straight from the rider and Adidas chose to greenlight them for Suciu and Tyshawn.

Seems less of production QC issues and more of legitimate design changes that improved on the first design. The Tyshawn changes do, however, feel subjective, and could be like how you've described it. A spin on covering quality issues. However, I haven't noticed actually quality issues in the Tyshawns I owned and tried on. They didn't quite work for me (ran 0.5 small)  and had short height of a toebox, even in a size that fit. I chalked them up to not being designed for my foot shape instead of being poorly designed.

The remasters look worse to me. More awkward and potato-like and less ergonomic, ironically
Super Champion Fun Zone

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
i always have the opposite thoughts that they redesign because the original was too expensive or difficult.  I thought maybe it related to wanting to push the low harder and they weren't happy with it.  Haven't tried them on but probably should.  I'm sitting on like 4 pairs of the OG's I kept getting them on sale and they are a mid top that has served me really well. 

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
Expand Quote
[close]

That seems like the case, but (maybe this is naive of me) it feels like the design changes came straight from the rider and Adidas chose to greenlight them for Suciu and Tyshawn.

Seems less of production QC issues and more of legitimate design changes that improved on the first design. The Tyshawn changes do, however, feel subjective, and could be like how you've described it. A spin on covering quality issues. However, I haven't noticed actually quality issues in the Tyshawns I owned and tried on. They didn't quite work for me (ran 0.5 small)  and had short height of a toebox, even in a size that fit. I chalked them up to not being designed for my foot shape instead of being poorly designed.

The remasters look worse to me. More awkward and potato-like and less ergonomic, ironically

Yeah, by production issues I meant less QC and more design issues that I feel like should have been caught on the sample stage. Hearing this happen twice feels almost like the first releases were like public beta tests. Which then also makes me wonder if there was QC issues if the problems were only caught after the shoes went public. Were corners cut (knowingly or not) that caused new issues that weren’t caught in the sample stage to emerge? Or maybe these are just issues that didn’t impact Mark and Tyshawn because everyone wears through shoes differently?

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 72
There's a pair on sale for $37: https://www.adidas.com/us/tyshawn-remastered-shoes/IG5270.html

I ordered them. Gonna take one for the team. I need to know how they're different from the old ones. Sounds like the toe box is higher. Hope I didn't waste $39 (after tax). Will post them here when they arrive with a comparison to the OG ones.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 65
i always have the opposite thoughts that they redesign because the original was too expensive or difficult.  I thought maybe it related to wanting to push the low harder and they weren't happy with it.  Haven't tried them on but probably should.  I'm sitting on like 4 pairs of the OG's I kept getting them on sale and they are a mid top that has served me really well.

I remember, as I’ve also heard others remark, that the first run of many Adidas Skateboarding and Nike SB models have at least felt like their quality was superior to those that they release later on.

Specifically, the Campus Vulc. I remember there was a Dennis color way that was just black with white stripes and a white sole with maybe some golden accent stitching. These were some of the highest quality shoes I’ve skated to this day.

I also remember the original Janoski’s being of much higher quality before they became so massively popular.

My cynicism wants to believe that this was done purposefully when there was still such a strong kickback against sportswear in skateboarding, to win people over in the first few years, knowing they would drop their quality once people became more loyal to the brands.

But that seems a little too far fetched.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]

I remember, as I’ve also heard others remark, that the first run of many Adidas Skateboarding and Nike SB models have at least felt like their quality was superior to those that they release later on.

Specifically, the Campus Vulc. I remember there was a Dennis color way that was just black with white stripes and a white sole with maybe some golden accent stitching. These were some of the highest quality shoes I’ve skated to this day.

I also remember the original Janoski’s being of much higher quality before they became so massively popular.

My cynicism wants to believe that this was done purposefully when there was still such a strong kickback against sportswear in skateboarding, to win people over in the first few years, knowing they would drop their quality once people became more loyal to the brands.

But that seems a little too far fetched.

Honestly, I would totally agree with you here. Had 3 pairs of the first Adidas Skateboarding Campus Vulc and those were pretty great shoes. I recently tried the Campus ADV and was disappointed BUT I am also like 14 years older now. There are certainly people that like these shoes.
IG: @flowterspace

OhioGuy

• Rep: 72

White are old model, Black are Remastered.

The toe box slopes on the old ones. New ones are more flat and natural looking. Which makes them fit better. 

Also it seems like they did something to the mid soles, Remastered ones have more flex which should translate to more board feel.