Author Topic: thread for all ambitioned cooks, hobby or pro  (Read 6055 times)

matty_c

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
Re: thread for all ambitioned cooks, hobby or pro
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2021, 09:35:20 PM »
Cheers bro, yeah honestly that’s what I am going for, just like super simple, as little stuff to clean as possible but like best bang for buck in terms of effort to result sort of thing

Yeah bro I’d make you a steak no worries
listen to cosmic psychos

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2021, 03:04:12 PM »
Vegan sticky ginger rice bowl with sriracha pickled veggies and mango. First time trying something like this and I’m really stoked on it.

njyhl

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2021, 08:26:05 PM »
Sriracha pickled veggies? Holy shit that’s a thing, huh?
Sounds alright hey gonna google that

It’s probably shitty to use packet gravy but I get these mushrooms and chuck em in the gravy I am backing it

Was reading about the five mother sauces gonna try learn that shit deadset if you learn the five ones everything else is just a variation

Got these last week forgot to take photos of the goods but came up alright they were like 800 grams each steak those ones

It’s a nice looking cut and it’s nice to chew on the bone but the whole top part of the bone that’s all fat I would do it again but I think I would try trim some of it off next time

Got some eye fillets just now I’ll try do a nice dinner for sister will post later
listen to cosmic psychos

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2021, 07:22:32 AM »
i make a mean chili spag. nom

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2021, 03:26:36 AM »
Every time I’ve tried to cook multiple items it’s never as good as when I just made one
Figure this is heat loss out the pan how do you real cunts that work in restaurants do it, do you just use multiple pans?

Haven’t got gas
listen to cosmic psychos

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2021, 03:47:21 PM »
Are you just crowding your pan? Depending on the size of the pan, usually 2 no more than 3 proteins, depending on the size of your pan. If you have too much in the pan, it won't be able to get to its optimal temperature and you also won't be able to cook your food evenly.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2021, 01:25:58 AM »
Yeah bro it is sort of small for a fry pan, been using this cheap Teflon one just cause the coating is new

Do you reckon would be better off with something thicker like cast iron that would maybe retain the heat better?

Also does anyone wanna say like mad gravy recipes I don’t really know much about it usually just use the pan juice and some of the packet stuff and water and like a tiny bit of vegemite it’s like vegetable stock paste I guess, but less that a quarter teaspoon of it

What else can I put in gravy that’s better than the packet stuff?

Would you get like bones or something and cook the shit out of them and use that water?
listen to cosmic psychos

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2021, 04:38:45 PM »
I just made the switch to carbon steel, which is a good blend between cast iron and stainless steel. It's a 12" pan too.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2021, 05:22:10 PM »
My sister and I threw a surprise 60th birthday party for my Dad this weekend and I smoked ribs and made my own barbecue sauce from scratch for the first time.
I wanted to base the sauce on chipotle peppers that I smoked from jalape񯳠I grew in my garden.

It turned out really good.  BBQ sauce consisted of-
1 can of tomato sauce
apple cider vinegar
worcestershire sauce
Black strap molasses
Honey
chipotles, canned pineapple rings, and granny smith apple that I also smoked.
Garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Can't give specifics on measurements because I just kept adding and tasting till I thought it was right.

Everything turned out good. Smoked the ribs for about 6 hours with a combination of apple and pecan wood chips and finished in the oven. Would have smoked longer but time became an issue.

Get hungry on it!

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2021, 09:25:30 AM »

Made a Shepard’s pie the other day, turned out good, had it for leftovers for about three days, I’m wish I would have taken a better picture. Maybe I’ll make it again next week and get a good photo….this one lacking
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2021, 10:18:22 AM »
@Gene_Harrogate  those ribs look finger licking good.

@Tony  what's inside that pie? Sorry, I am from the continent, and don't know about the intricacies of pies.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2021, 10:43:26 AM »

@Tony  what's inside that pie? Sorry, I am from the continent, and don't know about the intricacies of pies.

So usually it’s lean ground beef but you can use pretty much anything you want as a filler, so you brown the meat throw some onions and carrots and some beef stock, and tomato paste, and let that all reduce down, while that’s going on make mashed potatoes, after the beef and vegetable mixture is reduced throw in your gravy, or Shepard’s pie mix (may be able to find it stateside, we got it at HEB) spoon all that into a Pyrex and then layer the mashed potatoes on top, throw that in the oven for like an hour on 375 until the mashed potatoes are browned, I like peas on the side but people mix them in with the carrots and onions, but yea super easy and takes about an hour, and good leftovers
Oh and I’m from Texas lol, so if someone from across the pond thinks this is not the way to make shepherds pie, hook a brother up with what I’m doing wrong, I want it to be as authentic as possible
You want some queso?”

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2021, 11:20:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So usually it’s lean ground beef but you can use pretty much anything you want as a filler, so you brown the meat throw some onions and carrots and some beef stock, and tomato paste, and let that all reduce down, while that’s going on make mashed potatoes, after the beef and vegetable mixture is reduced throw in your gravy, or Shepard’s pie mix (may be able to find it stateside, we got it at HEB) spoon all that into a Pyrex and then layer the mashed potatoes on top, throw that in the oven for like an hour on 375 until the mashed potatoes are browned, I like peas on the side but people mix them in with the carrots and onions, but yea super easy and takes about an hour, and good leftovers
Oh and I’m from Texas lol, so if someone from across the pond thinks this is not the way to make shepherds pie, hook a brother up with what I’m doing wrong, I want it to be as authentic as possible

Sounds yummy bro. I thought you were English, didn't know the Americans ate pies  :D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2021, 01:10:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sounds yummy bro. I thought you were English, didn't know the Americans ate pies  :D

Ha no worries, ill took it as a compliment bro
You want some queso?”

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2021, 02:08:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you enjoy them, I highly recommend mushrooms in there. I’ve made hand pies almost the same way, with the frozen puff pastry dough. Ground beef/garlic/onions/tomato paste/mushrooms. Delicious.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2021, 12:55:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

If you enjoy them, I highly recommend mushrooms in there. I’ve made hand pies almost the same way, with the frozen puff pastry dough. Ground beef/garlic/onions/tomato paste/mushrooms. Delicious.

Mushrooms!! I knew it was missing something, yea I forgot to say garlic as well, but I put that in with the lean ground when I was browning it
You want some queso?”

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2021, 03:33:59 PM »

Made a Shepard’s pie the other day, turned out good, had it for leftovers for about three days, I’m wish I would have taken a better picture. Maybe I’ll make it again next week and get a good photo….this one lacking

Fuck yeah I made my first Shephards pie last week too. Used ground lamb, a little red wine in the sauce but from there had a similar recipe to what you posted. Cooked some bacon at first too to toss on top, went so well with the lamb

http://imgur.com/gallery/7eEuPvd

Fhk

« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2021, 10:54:15 AM »

A couple recent creations for the health conscious
My fried dough sundae and my donut bacon bison burgers.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2021, 11:18:19 AM »

are you running that food cart?

looks good man

Fhk

« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2021, 11:21:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

looks good man

Thank you bud! Yessir I own a food truck (trailer)

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2021, 11:42:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

looks good man
[close]

that's so sick. hope you get good business!

Fhk

« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2021, 11:48:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

looks good man
[close]

[close]

that's so sick. hope you get good business!
Thanks again man! I appreciate it, it keeps me very busy for sure. Life is is 90% slinging food...5% sleeping and 5% skating/Slap  ;D

brycickle

• SLAP Pal

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2021, 11:28:11 AM »
Don't know why my instagram post won't show. We made smoked Texas chili, bacon and cheddar scones and homemade butter last night.

animalflesh

« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2021, 06:52:09 AM »
Not a great pic but bumping this thread

Sweet potato Turkey Shepard’s pie

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2021, 12:48:43 PM »
Not a great pic but bumping this thread

Sweet potato Turkey Shepard’s pie

Never thought to make Shepards pie with sweet potato and I am so into.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2021, 12:50:54 PM »

Made a spicy corn chowder with bacon and shrimp. Love this time of year as a big soup fan.

Fhk

« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2021, 12:33:19 PM »

I got high at work this Summer and made this muthafucka

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2021, 02:45:09 PM »

That’s like this place Coastal Cone in Ventura. Diabetes in a cup
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Fhk

« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2021, 03:42:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Gorgeous.
Thank you lol Our relationship was short lived but the memories will never fade.