Author Topic: thread for all ambitioned cooks, hobby or pro  (Read 6057 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
thread for all ambitioned cooks, hobby or pro
« on: March 12, 2021, 06:02:16 PM »
we have the what are you eating thread already, but this is more about cooking at home or maybe your professional life as a cook.

share your favorite recipes, gear, philosophies, whatever. wether you're an ambitioned hobbyists, a passionate burger flipper, a line cook, or a top level chef. everyone with a special passion for self made food (and accompanying drink)is welcome to post.

i used to work in kitchens as a line cook, pizzaiola, in a premium local burger chain, as barkeeper and barista and more. this made me into somewhat of a food snob i guess to the point where i feel bad about buying frozen pizza, because i know i can easily make one ten times better myself for probably half the price.

which brings me to my first entry into the topic: homemade pizza. i used to not bother with making the dough myself for the longest time, i would buy this premade pizza dough, which mostly tastes like nothing, and then do the rest myself. after being disappointed time and time again, i started making my own dough again. i usually do the cold ferment with fairly wet dough that is almost 70% hydrated that i have kneaded for about ten minutes until it's smooth and way stretchy so i am sure i developed enough gluten. nothing special about the dough, just yeast, flour, 2% salt to flour, tiny pinch of sugar as an extra for the yeast to feed off. i used to knead the olive oil in after mixing the rest in the kneading process, as it's said to develop more gluten, but i actually haven't found a difference in taste or texture after a few days of cold rising, so i just dump the olive oil into the yeast water mix. gotta let this dough sit in the fridge for at least a day or it tastes rather bland, quick rise only in emergencies or when i want bake bread out of it instead of pizza. it tastes best after 4-5 days to me, after that it starts to smell way too hard like beer already and gets too funky for me.

the real revolution for me was basically frying the bottom first and then finishing it up in the oven with the broiler. this made it possible to bring bottom and top to my desired doneness. before it was very frustrating how the pizza would be inconsistently done. i guess this is because that dough is actually made for real pizza ovens which go way higher in temperature than normal kitchen ovens. ye it's not rocket science exactly, but in favor of comfort i didn't go that route until recently.

it takes a lot of work, but mainly in preparation, and when i make dough i make an amount that lasts for like two or three pizzas that i will use up over the course of the week. keep it portioned and seperated in airtight containers so i can whip something up with it whenever, i usually make one of thes into a bread or breadroll, since i don't need to eat pizza 3 times a week.

another hack i found out in terms of cheese is to dry out your mozzarella if you can only find the full moisture stuff. i tap it off with paper towels and then have it dry out in the fridge for a few hours. this will dehydrate it even further and you end up with something that should melt pretty much like low moisture mozzarella that is mostly used by pizza makers. makes it easier to not have burned or spilled cheese before the rest of the pie is done.

rn trying to find a nice cast iron pan since i've been using a non stick that sometimes gives off this weird taste as if it's been overheated, not stoked on that.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: thread for all ambitioned cooks, hobby or pro
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 07:20:39 PM »
^^^
too funny, man. I've got a couple pies in the oven right now. bought the dough from the Food Co-Op though, but at least they make it daily.

I've got a few cast iron pans and always cook the pizzas in them. Crust comes out crispy and is always cooked through, with a crispy crust as well. Cast iron skillets really work quite well for this purpose. hah, cast iron works really well for anything if you've got it seasoned properly.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 07:27:23 PM »
^^^
too funny, man. I've got a couple pies in the oven right now. bought the dough from the Food Co-Op though, but at least they make it daily.

I've got a few cast iron pans and always cook the pizzas in them. Crust comes out crispy and is always cooked through, with a crispy crust as well. Cast iron skillets really work quite well for this purpose. hah, cast iron works really well for anything if you've got it seasoned properly.

sick man, enjoy those pies haha.

maybe check out how it tastes if you let it age in the fridge for a few days. changes texture and taste of the pie quite a bit. after the 4-5 day mark it has this really nice sour dough tang to it.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 09:01:46 PM »
Expand Quote
^^^

[close]

sick man, enjoy those pies haha.

maybe check out how it tastes if you let it age in the fridge for a few days. changes texture and taste of the pie quite a bit. after the 4-5 day mark it has this really nice sour dough tang to it.

sourdough crust is wicked good. I'll have to try that suggestion.

My buddy gave me a sour dough bread starter last week and I made a tasty loaf in the cast iron dutch oven just a few days back. I don't eat much bread because it leaves me feeling heavy and kind of sick but the home baked sourdough felt like air in my belly. We ate the damn thing in 2 days. gotta make more!!!
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 09:12:13 PM »
Oh this is great. Once I’m on my laptop, I’ll share the recipes but during COVID, I’ve learned how to do whole roasted duck and goose and it’s so much fun.

Here’s a great goose video. Seasoning and flavor wise, we were very different but technique wise, we were basically the same. The most important factor about cooking goose is that’s it’s NOT like roasting a whole chicken or duck. It’s closer to roasting two different pieces of beef that do not get along together so listen to this dude: https://youtu.be/aonZ5whtMRg
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 07:09:31 AM by oyolar »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 09:20:01 PM »
adam ragusea was my inspiration for letting my dough rest in the fridge for days. love his channel.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 09:37:23 PM »
I'm obsessed with cooking. For my family, for friends, doesnt matter. But never again will I work as a cook.

A great seasoned cast iron is something everyone should own. I have plenty from my parents past on to me. I cannot use not stick and even the sight of them bothers me.

I know other foodies will know this, but to those lurking...

Dont boil most veggies. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and BROIL them.

Simple tip but holy hell does a broiled broccoli etc taste amazing
Gentleman ninja warlock

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 09:52:06 PM »
I'm obsessed with cooking. For my family, for friends, doesnt matter. But never again will I work as a cook.

A great seasoned cast iron is something everyone should own. I have plenty from my parents past on to me. I cannot use not stick and even the sight of them bothers me.

hell yeah, although i made a tasty soup a week ago by just boiling leftover veg and then pureed them. but that was because that was spontaneous, otherwise i would have roasted the veggies first. was planning on just parboiling some potatoes and carrots to have them at hand real quick. was bothered that i was wasteful cooking up a whole pot just for that and then through everything in that pot that was about to wilt away.

i just bought some broccoli today, not knowing yet what to cook with it. probably gonna do the broiler tonight along with cauliflower.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 09:55:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

hell yeah, although i made a tasty soup a week ago by just boiling leftover veg and then pureed them. but that was because that was spontaneous, otherwise i would have roasted the veggies first. was planning on just parboiling some potatoes and carrots to have them at hand real quick. was bothered that i was wasteful cooking up a whole pot just for that and then through everything in that pot that was about to wilt away.

i just bought some broccoli today, not knowing yet what to cook with it. probably gonna do the broiler tonight along with cauliflower.

Yeah, it's ok to boil in a soup.

Dood, try this with your brocolli and cauliflower and post up! It turns a kinda bland veggy into a delicious treat. You can also bake them first on about 350 and finish with broiling just to ensure they are cooked but still get that broiled effect. I do find if people go right to broiling they often over cook them.
Gentleman ninja warlock

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 10:41:34 PM »
That’s such a good idea with the soup mate

Some friends put me on to this shit called pytt I
panna but honestly that’s so much bullshit it just means things in pan, just mad leftover feeds really but I reckon it’s a good one to put cunts on to cooking

Just take literally whatever you have but ideally dice potatos, pumpkin, carrot, meat, fucken whatever you find and just fry that shit up but you wanna have that shit on toast
That’s a good one for when you wake up ruined
Put an egg on that shit, too

You can get right into it and cut like tiny strips just big enough to not totally turn to crisps and arrange that shit in such a fashion to impress a bitch
listen to cosmic psychos

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 11:25:32 PM »
i have some great recipes for yams, roasted chickpeas, chicken curry fries, and chili i'll share this week :)

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 09:47:13 AM »
I'm making bugogli dumplings with kimchee today.

I love this dish
Gentleman ninja warlock

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 04:38:14 PM »
Love making pizza and homemade dough as Frank mentioned. Flour, water, yeast and salt - and a few days in the fridge - usually 3-4 for me but iIll try a 5 day for the hell of it sometime - I wanna see hoe strong the taste will be - your on to something buddy!

I cook em on a pizza stone at 550 f for about 5 minutes -soo good and allot of fun.

Cool thread.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 10:04:31 PM »
It’s not a real recipe but you can make your own kfc hsp
Hsp is a way of life, boys

2x large chips
3x zinger patties, diced
1x large popcorn chicken
3x aioli sauce
3x supercharged sauce
Grated cheese

4-6 pax
listen to cosmic psychos

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 10:51:53 PM »
Shit....I thought this thread was for kooks.....

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 13
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2021, 12:56:52 AM »
Use the bread maker to make the pizza dough at home. It’s all good and super easy and comes out good and tasty. Least amount of admin short of buying pre made dough or bases.

Got a offset smoker bbq at the start of summer so have been doing some real good whole chickens, briskets etc on there. Get a nice cheap big cut of meat or some whole chickens, throw it in there for a good 6-8 hours with some flavoured wood and shit it turns out bangin!

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2021, 03:33:17 AM »
thanks to betas suggestion i put my broccoli under the broiler, made some sort of mac & cheese type thing with these, penne, and a cheese sauce i made out of evaporated milk, leftover cheddar, processed slices, and some left over parmegiano. in a baking form topped with panko for a nice crust. tasty.

my mom sent me some stuff they don't use anymore at the house, among the things was a very heavy mystery pan. seems to be some kinda non stick, but works really good for eggs. basically the perfect breakfast size to fit two eggs and some beans in it for one person.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2021, 04:02:45 AM »
That sounds legit, another good one with panko is asparagus chips/fries

1 cup panko
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
500g asparagus
1/4 cup flour
2 eggs

Oven at 220c

Combine panko and Parmesan, add salt and pepper
For the battering you go flour, then in the eggs, then in the panko
Press it on nice and firmly
Put them on an oiled baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes

They’re kind of like French fries but with asparagus inside

listen to cosmic psychos

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2021, 04:42:56 AM »
That sounds legit, another good one with panko is asparagus chips/fries

1 cup panko
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
500g asparagus
1/4 cup flour
2 eggs

Oven at 220c

Combine panko and Parmesan, add salt and pepper
For the battering you go flour, then in the eggs, then in the panko
Press it on nice and firmly
Put them on an oiled baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes

They’re kind of like French fries but with asparagus inside

sounds delicious, i'll try this for sure once local asparagus hits the shelves, thanks a lot.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2021, 05:52:19 AM »
Did this Detroit style pizza last night. I got some gnarly pans at at sur la table. My wife did the dough in a bread maker and let it rise for 4 or so hour on the counter. My daughter helped with the rest. Fun family project. Great recipe if your a first time pizza maker as doesn’t require anything special.

Leftovers this morning

Recipe

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/detroit-style-pepperoni-pizza-4718298

Pans

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2021, 11:11:39 AM »
thanks to betas suggestion i put my broccoli under the broiler, made some sort of mac & cheese type thing with these, penne, and a cheese sauce i made out of evaporated milk, leftover cheddar, processed slices, and some left over parmegiano. in a baking form topped with panko for a nice crust. tasty.

my mom sent me some stuff they don't use anymore at the house, among the things was a very heavy mystery pan. seems to be some kinda non stick, but works really good for eggs. basically the perfect breakfast size to fit two eggs and some beans in it for one person.

Nice!

Makes a big difference in the taste/texture hey?

Also, that detroit style pizza looks proper as fuck!!!! I use a type of frybread recipe I just kinda made up on my own for my pizza crusts. Its thick, but very light and airy. If I want it denser, I use a bannock recipe I created and makes a very filling slice.

That's cool the fam helps out! My kids do the same on pizza nights and its alot of fun
Gentleman ninja warlock

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2021, 01:09:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice!

Also, that detroit style pizza looks proper as fuck!!!! I use a type of frybread recipe I just kinda made up on my own for my pizza crusts. Its thick, but very light and airy. If I want it denser, I use a bannock recipe I created and makes a very filling slice.

That's cool the fam helps out! My kids do the same on pizza nights and its alot of fun

Gonna try broiling the veggies. Been baking them for a while but always end up over cooking them and drying them out. But when I don’t they are great and done broccoli and it’s great that way.

Definitely encourage trying that Detroit pizza recipe. The sauce recipe is really easy and tasty and would probably work well with other styles. We always go to this neapolitan pizza place that’s really good and kind of expensive and has us spoiled. I don’t enjoy regular pizza anymore but the Detroit pizza at home actually hangs quit well.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2021, 01:19:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice!

[close]

Gonna try broiling the veggies. Been baking them for a while but always end up over cooking them and drying them out. But when I don’t they are great and done broccoli and it’s great that way.

Definitely encourage trying that Detroit pizza recipe. The sauce recipe is really easy and tasty and would probably work well with other styles. We always go to this neapolitan pizza place that’s really good and kind of expensive and has us spoiled. I don’t enjoy regular pizza anymore but the Detroit pizza at home actually hangs quit well.

I'd be interested in trying your tomatoe sauce recipe!

I'm a pizza fiend, but I dont stick to one style, I tend to go with what I crave at the time. I might go with cheeses only, or a certain "style", other times I load up on toppings.

Stoner hack snack,  make grilled cheese sandwiches with pizza sauce and pepperoni in it. Makes for a great, quick snack and its cheap
Gentleman ninja warlock

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2021, 06:27:28 PM »
Crispy salmon with broiled broccoli rab (beta thanks), shiitake mushrooms in olive oil with garlic, and Whole Foods spinach and Asiago ravioli with truffle and peporino cheese jar sauce

This meal is a weekly go to for us

upload image

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2021, 11:55:14 AM »
Did this Detroit style pizza last night. I got some gnarly pans at at sur la table. My wife did the dough in a bread maker and let it rise for 4 or so hour on the counter. My daughter helped with the rest. Fun family project. Great recipe if your a first time pizza maker as doesn’t require anything special.

Leftovers this morning

Recipe

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/detroit-style-pepperoni-pizza-4718298

Pans

Pizza looks great! Would you mind posting a link for the pans? Tried finding it but didn’t see the same one.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2021, 01:28:14 PM »
Crispy salmon with broiled broccoli rab (beta thanks), shiitake mushrooms in olive oil with garlic, and Whole Foods spinach and Asiago ravioli with truffle and peporino cheese jar sauce

This meal is a weekly go to for us

upload image

That looks amazing man! That's my kinda meal!
Gentleman ninja warlock

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2021, 03:38:25 AM »
damn, sleazy you killed it with those meals and pics. everytime i come here i get hungry as fuck looking at them.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 12:45:10 PM »
Mapo Tofu is probably my favorite recipe I make. The recipe starts with what I found on thewoksoflife cooking blog but have adjusted it from there, happy to share details if anyone wants

Also hyped on this spicy Italian sausage rigatoni with a mustard-based sauce. Honestly one of the tastiest damn things I've ever made

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2021, 03:04:12 PM »
That looks fantastic!!!! That's next level right there!

Side story. I like ramen, and I like Korean food. So in Edmonton I hit up a korean market and bought a case of ramen.

I decided not to strain it and cook it as a soup. I added kimchee and the condiments in the package.

I eat it and in wondering how the fuck people would eat that regularly.

Turns out it's some youtube challenge thing and it's a hot bowl of 230,000 scoville units. Tasted good but my stomach is doing the dougie and holy fucking hell I'm burning up

I'll be shitting fire for a week
Gentleman ninja warlock

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2021, 04:46:07 AM »
Mapo Tofu is probably my favorite recipe I make. The recipe starts with what I found on thewoksoflife cooking blog but have adjusted it from there, happy to share details if anyone wants

Also hyped on this spicy Italian sausage rigatoni with a mustard-based sauce. Honestly one of the tastiest damn things I've ever made

Both of these look fantastic. Share the recipes!