Author Topic: Franky Villani's dad gofundme  (Read 8351 times)

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
  • Pure East
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Franky Villani's dad gofundme
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2021, 05:23:54 PM »
As an ICU nurse myself, I can tell you the bed alone is around $10000 a day.  Add meds, scans, procedures and you’re done financially if you don’t have insurance.  It’s pretty ridiculous.  A 1 liter bag of normal saline (salt water) costs about .50 but the patient is charged $50 or more for it.

1 month of denied coverage set me back $300,000 & my actual medical procedures were around $15,000. I was in ICU/coma after a heart issue put me in cardiac arrest. But yeah, $25 aspirins & tons of nickle & diming. I will never pay a cent of this out of principal, I'm pretty sure they have given up on trying to collect.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

Ross Norman - Last of the Mohicans

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2021, 04:34:36 AM »
Expand Quote
I always wonder why people don't just get health insurance in the US though - assuming you could afford to pay one of the premiums. It's not like health insurance is free, so to speak, in countries that have "free" health care. You could be paying as much as any full coverage plan in the US, it's just coming out in taxes and you don't have a choice to not have the full coverage plan basically. And that does come with different issues - like long wait times and doctors not giving a shit.

But, yeah, sort of a fucked medical system. I guess it's the freedom to... not have health insurance? But even so I don't know why the norm would basically be to just not have it. Because people don't want to willingly pay $500 per month for health insurance?
[close]
The Average American is taxed at the same rate as anywhere else with medical. Our taxes are high and we don’t get shit for it. It’s not like people don’t want health insurance, it’s that $500 is a lot of money per month and a lot of people just can’t afford it.

Definitely not true - if you make over 28k Germany you get taxed at 24%, over 50k at 42%. Portugal is about the same but salaries are much lower. So you're getting taxed that % and no matter what you make, the health insurance is automatically deducted. I think it's still expensive, you just don't have a choice to not have/pay for it. In NYC you don't hit the max of 8% until you make over 1 million. States like Texas don't even have an income tax.

California actually has a "decent" system set up for low income individuals/households. There's a bunch of free clinics, doctors who have pro-bono days, and if you go to a county hospital then they'll base your bill of your wage - so it can be free if you're unemployed. I had that happen to me when I was in between jobs living in LA and needed to go to the emergency room.

Anyway, I'm not trying to de-rail the topic and in no way am I saying the overall healthcare system in the US is good. It leaves way to much room - probably the majority of room - for you to get fucked by needing medical care.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2021, 11:04:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I always wonder why people don't just get health insurance in the US though - assuming you could afford to pay one of the premiums. It's not like health insurance is free, so to speak, in countries that have "free" health care. You could be paying as much as any full coverage plan in the US, it's just coming out in taxes and you don't have a choice to not have the full coverage plan basically. And that does come with different issues - like long wait times and doctors not giving a shit.

But, yeah, sort of a fucked medical system. I guess it's the freedom to... not have health insurance? But even so I don't know why the norm would basically be to just not have it. Because people don't want to willingly pay $500 per month for health insurance?
[close]
The Average American is taxed at the same rate as anywhere else with medical. Our taxes are high and we don’t get shit for it. It’s not like people don’t want health insurance, it’s that $500 is a lot of money per month and a lot of people just can’t afford it.
[close]

Definitely not true - if you make over 28k Germany you get taxed at 24%, over 50k at 42%. Portugal is about the same but salaries are much lower. So you're getting taxed that % and no matter what you make, the health insurance is automatically deducted. I think it's still expensive, you just don't have a choice to not have/pay for it. In NYC you don't hit the max of 8% until you make over 1 million. States like Texas don't even have an income tax.

California actually has a "decent" system set up for low income individuals/households. There's a bunch of free clinics, doctors who have pro-bono days, and if you go to a county hospital then they'll base your bill of your wage - so it can be free if you're unemployed. I had that happen to me when I was in between jobs living in LA and needed to go to the emergency room.

Anyway, I'm not trying to de-rail the topic and in no way am I saying the overall healthcare system in the US is good. It leaves way to much room - probably the majority of room - for you to get fucked by needing medical care.
You’re obviously foreign and don’t know shit about the American tax system. It’s fine, I’m American and I still know essentially nothing about it. You’re going off of state income tax. We’re taxed on a federal level, massively. Add in all state and local taxes, I’m paying roughly 40% of my income and I still have to pay for health insurance.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 11:21:16 AM by Bunk Moreland »

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2021, 11:44:23 PM »
Wait, medical insurance in the US is $500 per month?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2021, 01:20:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

mine is 280/m

but it goes up the older you get and your health condition factors into the cost.

also a lot of salary employees have it as part of their pay package so they never really consider the actual monthly cost

FUCK ME

jesus thats scandalous
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2021, 02:35:21 PM »

It depends. There's a lot of things to consider, age, different plans, coverage, etc. I am lucky I live near the Mexico border and am able to access Mexican plan through my employer in the USA. I am able to have my wife and I am pay way less than I would in the USA. Fantastic facility with amazing doctors. My co pay for doctor visits is $10 as well as medications. In case there's people wondering if it is sketchy, not at all. They're held to the same standards as any insurance coverage network in USA, if that means anything. These plans are more easily accessible with bordering counties/areas to Mexico.