Author Topic: The Bolts Thread  (Read 18344 times)

roll_dog

Re: The Bolts Thread
« Reply #210 on: January 15, 2023, 02:17:22 PM »
Did we ever decide what bolts resisted turning silver, or is it time to just accept it

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2023, 03:01:53 PM »
My wife just bought a kitchen scale so I decided to do a little test between the Ace Hollow hardware and the Shorty's Lights that I normally use. All sets are 7/8 allen.

The bolts themselves weigh the exact same, so the only weight savings comes with the thinner nuts that Shorty's uses. Could pair the Ace bolts with the Shorty's nuts to at least get the benefit of potentially not needing to use an allen key and Ace's claim that their bolts don't cause griptape swirls (that's never been a problem for me anyway as long as you only tighten from the nut side)

Thanks for that.  Makes me happy / satisfied that Shortys are good, or even just buying a box of the low head nuts is a win, when I have the nyloc start to lose grip, so don't have to get new deck bolts either.

So good!

Did we ever decide what bolts resisted turning silver, or is it time to just accept it

From two sets of identical bolts, same brand, about the same time they were set up, one guy who swears by putting them down into the board and another who never puts them down in far enough (to my mind), sure enough the first set are still full black, the other set are all worn off and plain silver.

From the thoughts about this thread, I have seen quite a few people recently who didn't do up their bolts enough and sure enough they were having issues with the colour / paint rubbing off the heads.

Others who put their bolts on and do them up so they are a little below the top of the grip never have issues with bolts changing colour, or the paint wearing off, no matter what brand, myself included.

Make of that what you will.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2023, 03:03:31 PM »
My wife just bought a kitchen scale so I decided to do a little test between the Ace Hollow hardware and the Shorty's Lights that I normally use. All sets are 7/8 allen.

The bolts themselves weigh the exact same, so the only weight savings comes with the thinner nuts that Shorty's uses. Could pair the Ace bolts with the Shorty's nuts to at least get the benefit of potentially not needing to use an allen key and Ace's claim that their bolts don't cause griptape swirls (that's never been a problem for me anyway as long as you only tighten from the nut side)

Ive been had.

They probably sell low profile locknuts on McMaster carr , I’ll check that out soon

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2023, 05:29:58 PM »

this pleases me in so many ways considering my other hobby is ultralight backpacking lol

thats kind of a wild difference in weight savings. pretty surprised

Daewons front truck

• Rep: 30
« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2023, 05:32:36 PM »

Anybody remember halos hardware? Those resisted turning silver pretty well.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2023, 05:58:00 PM »

the only ones I’ve ever found to truly stay black, are shake junt. their bolts looked like they might be powder coated black? most bolts are painted black it seems. I wish I could skate the shortys light bolts, but that’s why I don’t. Lol the nuts are great for cast plates though.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2023, 08:54:52 AM »
I got some Roughneck hardware from my local recently, they are black phillips bolts... flat black/brownish hue to them and they seem like they will forever stay black since they're not painted. They're actually my new fav cause they blend in with the griptape differently. Just throwing that out there in case anyone wants to try them. I haven't skated them long enough to know for sure about them not rubbing/turning silver.

Also, those thinner Shorty's nuts you guys are posting are the truth. I run them with 1" bolts and risers combo so that way the nylock actually gets engaged with the threading and they just look better than the normal taller/fatter looking nuts.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2023, 01:48:42 PM »
Do people really have a problem with 1” bolts engaging with normal nuts when using 1/8” risers? I’ve been running that combo for a long time and never had any issues. Should be the same as using 7/8” without risers which is a really popular combo also.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2023, 02:00:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the only ones I’ve ever found to truly stay black, are shake junt. their bolts looked like they might be powder coated black? most bolts are painted black it seems. I wish I could skate the shortys light bolts, but that’s why I don’t. Lol the nuts are great for cast plates though.

Bender hardware stays black. I’ve had the same set of 7/8 allen for 3 years.

streetmeat

« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2023, 03:34:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Bender hardware stays black. I’ve had the same set of 7/8 allen for 3 years.

can confirm the same

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2023, 06:28:52 AM »
Do people really have a problem with 1” bolts engaging with normal nuts when using 1/8” risers? I’ve been running that combo for a long time and never had any issues. Should be the same as using 7/8” without risers which is a really popular combo also.

Yes, 1" hardware for 1/8" risers imo is too short. having the bolt flush with the end of the nut isn't enough to properly secure it. That's why I use the thin nuts so there a few threads engaged past the nylock.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #221 on: February 02, 2023, 09:08:48 AM »
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

streetmeat

« Reply #222 on: February 02, 2023, 09:11:20 AM »
hmm, is that whats really causing that tho...?

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 90
« Reply #223 on: February 02, 2023, 10:07:30 AM »
I feel like loose hardware is what causes it and those crail bolts would still damage the truck when loose

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #224 on: February 02, 2023, 12:11:02 PM »
hmm, is that whats really causing that tho...?

Yeah loose hardware is 100% causing that. If it's loose, it can vibrate, which will widen the hole in the softer aluminum.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2023, 01:27:05 PM »
They would definitely come off faster.

You would have to check them more often and there’s less thread for it to hold on.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2023, 02:48:05 PM »
My dumb little bolt company is now available at my local. No long neck nonesense and should not oval your baseplates if tightened  ;)
https://nocomplyatx.com/collections/hardware/products/spa-gear-7-8-skateboard-mounting-hardware

passtheish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #227 on: February 02, 2023, 03:17:53 PM »
My dumb little bolt company is now available at my local. No long neck nonesense and should not oval your baseplates if tightened  ;)
https://nocomplyatx.com/collections/hardware/products/spa-gear-7-8-skateboard-mounting-hardware

lmao was not expecting to see Sans on skateboard bolts ever

Richard Skidder

« Reply #228 on: February 02, 2023, 04:04:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh shit, that’s yours @camel filters ? I saw these on Instagram yesterday. Looks dope!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #229 on: February 02, 2023, 04:08:59 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CoKtyn3u4qT/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

… in hardware news today

The funny thing with these bolts, if you sink them too deep into the deck you can't actually do them up tight enough as there is no more thread.

I have a set of these from who knows where from ages ago that someone was sick of, so I swapped him out with some normal bolts and kept these ones as I was curious about them, never saw a brand or anything and had never seen them before or since.

They work fine, but really it is the nuts and nyloc that stops bolts working well, so just swap out the nuts and away you go.

Anyone, even on these bolts can still have that issue if the trucks are not mounted well and move side to side as they are skating.

Richard Skidder

« Reply #230 on: February 02, 2023, 04:15:02 PM »

Saw these on the Gram yesterday and instantly followed. Having your own thing feels pretty good.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #231 on: February 02, 2023, 05:01:20 PM »

What I like the most is that they are plain simple bolts, option for all black, or silver, which really appeals to me.

Silver nuts too.  Just right.

It might sound silly, but I would get eight sets, so I can use all the spares, use two silvers at the front of any set on plain grip and use the plain black ones on any board with cut up grip.

Being in AU it is not easy to get (and I have too much stuff anyway), but it is rad you have them in a local shop too.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
« Reply #232 on: February 02, 2023, 07:12:40 PM »

… in hardware news today

2023 is the year of hardware gimmicks

My predictions:

Indy: Stage 4 hardware reissue
Thunder: Titanium hardware
Venture: Forged hollow hardware but the nuts don't turn
FA: Bolts that have the two letter FA Logo as the head
Real: Wooden hardware

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #233 on: February 02, 2023, 07:15:58 PM »

Followed a wild back. Waiting for pay day to get a set or two!

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #234 on: February 02, 2023, 09:10:02 PM »

My predictions:

So we’re going back to dome top bolts again?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #235 on: February 02, 2023, 09:34:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Oh shit, that’s yours @camel filters ? I saw these on Instagram yesterday. Looks dope!
Yep! Sick. I guess social media does have some uses, haha.

Expand Quote
[close]

What I like the most is that they are plain simple bolts, option for all black, or silver, which really appeals to me.

Silver nuts too.  Just right.

It might sound silly, but I would get eight sets, so I can use all the spares, use two silvers at the front of any set on plain grip and use the plain black ones on any board with cut up grip.

Being in AU it is not easy to get (and I have too much stuff anyway), but it is rad you have them in a local shop too.

Aw thanks for the compliment. Yes I went ahead and made the silver optional and not make it a separate product. I guess it's good customer value but it was mainly so I didn't have too many differing products to package. I guess laziness can  sometimes pay off. Hopefully one day I can have the bolts distributed in AU :)

Expand Quote
[close]

Followed a wild back. Waiting for pay day to get a set or two!
Thank you! I hope I followed back. For some reason IG is not giving me notifications on follows. I turned it on in settings and everything. If not shoot me a message!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2023, 10:40:17 PM »
Awesome you have a sticker in there too…..I know it costs $ but it makes a difference for me. 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #237 on: February 03, 2023, 03:31:10 AM »

… in hardware news today
Ah fuck we ordered 100,000 of the wrong type of bolts what do we do? Guess just make some shit up so people think it's intentional

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #238 on: February 03, 2023, 05:34:31 AM »
Shake Junt

BL0B

• Rep: 412
« Reply #239 on: February 03, 2023, 04:21:07 PM »
Expand Quote

My predictions:

Thunder: Titanium hardware
Venture: Forged hollow hardware but the nuts don't turn
FA: Bolts that have the two letter FA Logo as the head
Real: Wooden hardware

woah, woah slow down! i gotta write all this stuff down. (Tensor design guy)