Author Topic: The Bolts Thread  (Read 19578 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Bolts Thread
« Reply #270 on: September 20, 2023, 08:58:02 AM »

Yup, I have the Spitfire tool and it works perfectly for me with anything else than the aforementioned Shortys Lights. Not gonna change my tools for a specific bolt/nut, I'm already sorted with Bronze.

Ha no I wouldn't change, especially if you have something that works just right, it would be silly to use the other ones.

Funny thing is I don't think I have ever seen Bronze brand bolts anywhere on my travels, or at least don't recall seeing any, but I have probably seen or had them on boards that have come in from people and I just hadn't taken notice.

Looking at their site and other stock pics, they look about the same as most others, slightly bigger heads than Shortys, all black with one bronze bolt and nut in every pack.  They certainly have a lot more going on than just bolts too.

I know people have arguments about bolts, so definitely not starting anything here, but are they much the same in physical size as others? Might be harder to get a standard measure of product, even if some of the main suppliers provide bolts to any number of brands, but for now I might go with something like Thunder being maybe the most common bolts everywhere, slightly bigger heads, normal size nuts, two spares in each tube, etc. 

Some like Indy bolts are way bigger in the head size, so I don't touch those ones, Enjoi bolts as well, of which there were way too many floating around, usually with the painted bolts and nuts which just didn't want to fit together nicely.

Modus are smaller heads like Shortys, also with two spares per pack and they are everywhere here in AU, but I don't usually hear of many others being that familiar with them, even though they are in Tactics, SW and similar places.

Anyway, that is probably more than enough late night / early morning thoughts and I should go get some sleep.

:)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #271 on: September 20, 2023, 09:14:03 AM »
Expand Quote

Yup, I have the Spitfire tool and it works perfectly for me with anything else than the aforementioned Shortys Lights. Not gonna change my tools for a specific bolt/nut, I'm already sorted with Bronze.
[close]

Ha no I wouldn't change, especially if you have something that works just right, it would be silly to use the other ones.

Funny thing is I don't think I have ever seen Bronze brand bolts anywhere on my travels, or at least don't recall seeing any, but I have probably seen or had them on boards that have come in from people and I just hadn't taken notice.

Looking at their site and other stock pics, they look about the same as most others, slightly bigger heads than Shortys, all black with one bronze bolt and nut in every pack.  They certainly have a lot more going on than just bolts too.

I know people have arguments about bolts, so definitely not starting anything here, but are they much the same in physical size as others? Might be harder to get a standard measure of product, even if some of the main suppliers provide bolts to any number of brands, but for now I might go with something like Thunder being maybe the most common bolts everywhere, slightly bigger heads, normal size nuts, two spares in each tube, etc. 

Some like Indy bolts are way bigger in the head size, so I don't touch those ones, Enjoi bolts as well, of which there were way too many floating around, usually with the painted bolts and nuts which just didn't want to fit together nicely.

Modus are smaller heads like Shortys, also with two spares per pack and they are everywhere here in AU, but I don't usually hear of many others being that familiar with them, even though they are in Tactics, SW and similar places.

Anyway, that is probably more than enough late night / early morning thoughts and I should go get some sleep.

:)

Yeah man all good, to each their own and I'm glad if peeps can enjoy smaller heads with no difficulties. Bolts are bolts, most often they're really not an issue. Was just surprised of the effect of the smaller nuts, was under the impression that they're all the same size regardless of brand.

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #272 on: October 19, 2023, 12:56:08 AM »
are there any bolts have little spine on them that are avalible?
not like hammer bolts, or it's just my imagination?
I think I'm tripped into hardware madness.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #273 on: October 19, 2023, 01:01:17 AM »

The ace hollow bolts have that on the countersink where you marked in red

Bill Salt

« Reply #274 on: October 19, 2023, 01:55:18 AM »
7/8 Phillips Shorty's.
Just better than Allen for the screw grip.
Allen tend to get rounded with time.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 07:09:40 AM by Bill Salt »

richard00800

« Reply #275 on: October 19, 2023, 02:12:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The ace hollow bolts have that on the countersink where you marked in red

thanks

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #276 on: October 19, 2023, 11:00:46 AM »
Anyone else painting their bolts? I make sure that the front truck bolts' heads are white.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #277 on: October 19, 2023, 03:48:22 PM »
Anyone else painting their bolts? I make sure that the front truck bolts' heads are white.

We used to scratch off the tops of two to go in the two front holes when there were no silverado or similar bolts available.  I still take off the coloured tops, combination of blade and steel wool, even use a sharp wood screw to get down inside of the blue, red or other coloured indicator bolts so I have two silvers up front and the rest black, which might sound like a bit of work, but I think they turn out ok and don't look bad.  That is with a single full sheet of black grip.

If I do cut grip jobs, as in a couple of very thin lines through the grip at different places, then I just run the bolts all black.

I have also painted bolts black again, from them wearing off, or if they were other colours, but people have said nail polish works best for that sort of thing.

Most common bolts I get now are Shortys, both plain and Silverado 7/8" either Phillips or Allen, Thunder Allen bolts which have eight black and two gold in the 7/8" size, but others like the Andale bolts had two metallic blue and six black.  They were the ones I scraped off.

Modus also have the eight black and two blue, but I haven't had those in a while, even though I still have lots of them, new in packs in the shop.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 970
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #278 on: October 19, 2023, 08:54:00 PM »

Def. I try to stay with Thunder Green bolts. They are my shit.
i wish indy had a green soft bushing. Otherwise i go lowering kit.
3ply Green dlx risers.
Green top Purple bottom.

if i coud get big ass orange f4s id be made.

i like As many colour plys as possible on the sides.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #279 on: October 20, 2023, 07:42:58 AM »

Yeah I've painted up a few sets but not commonly.  I've done indicator bolts and painted some black when they were becoming silver

Bill Salt

« Reply #280 on: October 21, 2023, 07:11:44 AM »
Yup, do that sometimes.I use thick enamel paint cause reg spraycan paint wears off prett quick.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #281 on: October 22, 2023, 04:12:22 AM »
This has probably been discussed before, but I just gotta say that the Shortys Light bolts are pretty awful. The nuts keep slipping from my skate tool all the time, I feel like I'm at the risk of not being to remove them anymore at some point.
As a shortys loyalist I have always hated this about the lights. Like how much weight are you really saving by having a nut so thin it slips? Believe me I’d had to baby them a few times to not saw them off from slippage.

I just run them if the original is out of Allen head.

richard00800

« Reply #282 on: October 30, 2023, 09:46:29 AM »
Damn I snap ace hollow bolts in just 2 sesh, the part it breaks was even in the mount hole, never had problem with regular hardware.
I missed my noseslide, front truck ride onto the ledge, smashed my rear inner bolt. I was lucky to recover this nut and part of the bolt, my friend found it, I didn't know I break it .
maybe they should bring out solid ones, the anti slip edge really worked tho.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 09:57:35 AM by richard00800 »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #283 on: October 30, 2023, 10:48:28 AM »
Damn I snap ace hollow bolts in just 2 sesh, the part it breaks was even in the mount hole, never had problem with regular hardware.
I missed my noseslide, front truck ride onto the ledge, smashed my rear inner bolt. I was lucky to recover this nut and part of the bolt, my friend found it, I didn't know I break it .

Woah. Never seen a broken bolt in ~20 years of skating. That's kinda impressive. Still a bummer.
IG: @flowterspace

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #284 on: October 30, 2023, 05:13:40 PM »
not very weird, i've broken tons of bolts over the years. from snapped off heads and ones just like this, usually right at the nut and baseplate though from skating.

the snapped off heads seems to happen only when tightening ime.

this is why i replace hardware after a few setups.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 313
« Reply #285 on: October 30, 2023, 08:54:42 PM »
What exactly do I search for online to buy the low-profile nuts that come with Shorty's Lights hardware?

BL0B

« Reply #286 on: October 30, 2023, 09:02:18 PM »

are those washers under the hollow hardware? that won't help.

richard00800

« Reply #287 on: October 30, 2023, 09:28:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

are those washers under the hollow hardware? that won't help.

those are nordlock washers, I was testing them, sometimes locktite still came loose, not sure it's the nut or bolt rotatinig in normal set up.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 09:42:36 PM by richard00800 »

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #288 on: October 31, 2023, 07:06:53 PM »

JimmyFive

• Rep: 56
« Reply #289 on: March 17, 2024, 04:04:37 PM »
Expand Quote
there needs to be a list of bolts with small heads (for us normal people) and large ones (for freaks).
[close]

That would be an interesting one, but I guess it just comes down to where brands get their bolts.

Some more generic brands seem to have the bigger heads, which are easier to come by on ebay (which is why I don't get them) but then some seem to get the exact size, shape, etc as Shortys and other good brands.

I guess it is subjective, like everything in skateboarding, where some people prefer bigger heads and others prefer smaller heads.  Never had a problem doing bolts up too much and the smaller heads just work so much better for me anyway, so I always stick with those, but I have seen where some people almost pull the bolt through their deck either not paying attention or thinking they constantly need to do them up tighter or whatever.

This might also come down to the fact that any and every nut is only as good as the nyloc on it, which is why I have bought bulk spare nuts to swap out as needed.

Back to the question, list of smaller heads that I can think of right this minute that I have seen or used (but also being in AU so we don't get half of those brands that the USA does) includes:

Shortys
Modus
Thunder
Element (look like Shortys bolts)
Shake Junt
Pig
Andale
Primitive
Diamond

Bolts I have seen with heads that are bigger than I like:

Indy
HKD
Lucky
Bones
Mini Logo
Enjoi
Almost
Universal

Hey, I realise this is an ancient post but I'm having a mare finding replacement nuts for my hardware. I remember you saying you lived in Aus. I live in NZ and I'm having trouble finding replacement (shorter) nuts in 10-32 unf measurement. Seems most places are only stocking metric. Is the M5 metric the same measurement or equivalent to 10-32 unf?
Cheers, hope you understand what I'm trying to say!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #290 on: March 17, 2024, 04:20:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hey, I realise this is an ancient post but I'm having a mare finding replacement nuts for my hardware. I remember you saying you lived in Aus. I live in NZ and I'm having trouble finding replacement (shorter) nuts in 10-32 unf measurement. Seems most places are only stocking metric. Is the M5 metric the same measurement or equivalent to 10-32 unf?
Cheers, hope you understand what I'm trying to say!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182438925274

Qty 200 Jam Nyloc Nut 3/16" (10-32) UNF Zinc Plated Steel Grade 5 Lock Insert ZP

That is the ebay link to the low nuts I have been getting which are the right everything for skateboard deck bolts of any brand.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122705348915

Zinc Plated 3/16" (10-32) UNF Imperial Fine Hex Nyloc Insert Nut Grade 5

That is the link to the regular nuts that I got recently too, also just right for any and every skateboard deck bolt I have ever tried them on.

As to the other type / size / metric conversion, I think people have had mixed results in the past, so I would be wary of getting any without trying one on a deck bolt first, as I know they can be different threads, slightly this or that, which means they will not fit at all with any normal skateboard hardware and only fit on their same make bolts which are more often for other uses.

Hope that helps, but not sure if the AU links deliver to NZ - worth a shot anyway, but I usually buy bulk to save, using them on boards in the shop as well as for myself.

JimmyFive

• Rep: 56
« Reply #291 on: March 17, 2024, 08:14:22 PM »
Ah thank you so much! You are a legend!

Hopefully shipping isn't too bad to NZ. Yes I was about to try the M5 nuts but thought I'd try asking - seems it's best to keep with the standard imperial measurements!

Fasttimes

• Rep: -32
« Reply #292 on: March 27, 2024, 10:33:55 AM »
Ah thank you so much! You are a legend!

Hopefully shipping isn't too bad to NZ. Yes I was about to try the M5 nuts but thought I'd try asking - seems it's best to keep with the standard imperial measurements!

m5 should work, make sure threading is same

oldxdad

• Rep: 8
« Reply #293 on: March 27, 2024, 10:36:48 AM »
Best bolts hands down, made in Reno,NV!

https://biggestlittleskateboardco.com/collections/hardware

Dad Board

• Rep: 66
« Reply #294 on: March 27, 2024, 10:45:20 AM »

@bolts_the_snowman on IG

• Rep: -131
« Reply #295 on: March 28, 2024, 03:09:56 AM »
Sup

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
  • sup dog
« Reply #296 on: March 28, 2024, 05:58:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Best bolts hands down, made in Reno,NV!

https://biggestlittleskateboardco.com/collections/hardware
[close]

No allen head?
Would be interested if Allen head.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #297 on: March 28, 2024, 06:09:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Woah. Never seen a broken bolt in ~20 years of skating. That's kinda impressive. Still a bummer.

Hubba and mini logo hardware, I’ve broken just from tightening them.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #298 on: March 28, 2024, 06:25:42 PM »
Just set up those Ace hollow bolts for the first time, hope mine don't snap too lol.

BL0B

« Reply #299 on: March 28, 2024, 09:27:42 PM »
Just set up those Ace hollow bolts for the first time, hope mine don't snap too lol.

i have been riding them since they came out, have 4 different sets ups going with them, no issues.