Author Topic: "New Skater-Designed Ceramic Bearings"  (Read 8969 times)

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
    • Quantum Bearings
"New Skater-Designed Ceramic Bearings"
« on: March 14, 2021, 09:30:33 PM »
My best friend and I have spent 30+ years riding skateboards. 

One of us has a degree in chemical engineering and has been exploring different materials and technology in order to make a high quality, low maintenance and more affordable ceramic bearing.

We’re only able to make small runs, each month, because we have day jobs and no staff, but hope to grow.

We just went live.  Give us a look and thanks for any suppport.

www.quantumbearing.science

Follow us on Instagram @quantumbearingscience

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 08:33:16 PM by Quantum_Bearing_Science »
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

IpathCats

• Rep: -36
Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 06:19:27 AM »
Grats on trying to do your own thing. Any reviews out there?
.....Nah

OldCandy

• Rep: -9
  • cant shuv
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 06:38:17 AM »
reminds me of rocking rons.

looks good so far but what does the graphflo/coating wear off?

do they feel like swiss of a set of invincible reds?
I wish I'd known that at best we only have 20 summers at a decent skate level.
From then on it's low impact skating and trying not to forget tricks. 20 summers. And then it's over.

off

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • no gods no masters
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 07:00:31 AM »
top of the line cermaics at $36 dollars? count me in for a try

have a set of reds in my second set up that can hit the supply box. gonna set up the atom series bearings with some 97a full conicals if anyone has any questions

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -108
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 07:31:02 AM »
Looking good and interesting.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -363
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 07:37:48 AM »
Wow.....

Twice in one day I've been hooked by marketing.

These look really cool.

Do you deliver to Ireland?

Rubbrick

• Rep: 85
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 07:46:22 AM »
Where are these manufactured?

OldCandy

• Rep: -9
  • cant shuv
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 07:50:54 AM »
top of the line cermaics at $36 dollars? count me in for a try

have a set of reds in my second set up that can hit the supply box. gonna set up the atom series bearings with some 97a full conicals if anyone has any questions

begging for a review
I wish I'd known that at best we only have 20 summers at a decent skate level.
From then on it's low impact skating and trying not to forget tricks. 20 summers. And then it's over.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 08:09:51 AM »

Appears to be based out of University of North Carolina

Rubbrick

• Rep: 85
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 08:22:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Appears to be based out of University of North Carolina

On their product page it says “ Designed, coated, and packaged in our lab in Charlotte, NC.” Similar to Apple products saying “Designed in California, manufactured in China.” So I’m thinking they’re manufactured elsewhere, then they put their coating on in NC. I hope these just aren’t AliExpress ceramics that they put their special coating/logo on. $30 for ceramic, proprietary design bearings almost seems too good to be true. I’m still definitely interested in trying some.

ungzilla

• Rep: 410
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 08:40:52 AM »
they are for sure that

Buttfart Rapedick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 09:53:53 AM »
This sounds like something the FP insoles guy would do. And it also sounds like snake oil and buzzword bullshit.

"For our Atom and Isotope series hybrid-ceramic bearings, we selected ZrO2 and Si3N4 materials."

Oh wow, you selected the two ceramics that literally every other ceramic bearing on the market is made of? How revolutionary. Must have taken a ton of research and nano-decisions to come to that conclusion.

My money is on them being the exact same Chinese ceramics you can get for $20 on Amazon. Probably with some graphite powder thrown in as their "nano material". There is zero chance you're manufacturing a revolutionary ceramic bearing in the US and selling them for $36.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 742
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 10:48:17 AM »
This sounds like something the FP insoles guy would do. And it also sounds like snake oil and buzzword bullshit.

"For our Atom and Isotope series hybrid-ceramic bearings, we selected ZrO2 and Si3N4 materials."

Oh wow, you selected the two ceramics that literally every other ceramic bearing on the market is made of? How revolutionary. Must have taken a ton of research and nano-decisions to come to that conclusion.

My money is on them being the exact same Chinese ceramics you can get for $20 on Amazon. Probably with some graphite powder thrown in as their "nano material". There is zero chance you're manufacturing a revolutionary ceramic bearing in the US and selling them for $36.

No dude they’re quantum.

You’ve never seen this tech before.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 11:03:41 AM »

Agreed. There's so much fancy language and words that don't actually talk about the bearing itself, as well as zero media showing the bearings in action.

It's like how Andale markets their "Swiss" bearings as Swiss with a fuckton of words but in reality it's actually made in China.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 450
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 11:10:02 AM »
Send me a box, Quantum. Product testing. Let's go. That's how we do things around here. If Kalis could send posters Silver trucks, you can send us some bearings.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Spreading the shredding, sharing the Shalom.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 11:31:24 AM »
I like how homies came into the gear nerds forum with a line like this, “...have been designed to breathe life into a long forgotten, but absolutely critical component...” as if fools aren’t up in here discussing the various minutiae of race contours, ideal lube viscosities, cage materials, factories of origin, etc. up in here, on the regular.
Sounds to my cynical ass like some slick talk marketing mumbo jumbo I would come up with myself if I had to move a bunch of low grade imports.
On the other hand, one very big PLUS, if they turn out to be pretty decent: there’s not much chance they’re getting bootlegged & pawned over Amazon/ebay yet.
Of course, if they’re just rebranded bootleg jobbers already...
Like my man Buttfart said, no way these are American mfg’d ceramics at that price.
Prove me wrong by sending me a sample set; I’ll give a full, rigorous test with a thorough review for all of the PALS.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 02:26:24 PM by Lou Strux »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 11:53:40 AM »

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 59
  • A sentient skatepark blue tooth speaker
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 12:03:32 PM »
I actually have a little bit of experience on these; when I was back home in Alabama, one of my shop homies was testing them. He had the ones with the white balls when I tried his board. They were definitely smooth, but we were in a warehouse so I can't really say I've tested how fast they were. Homie loved them though, and he'd literally just blow the dust out of them when they got slow, so it seems like they got the low maintenance part at least.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 12:05:35 PM »
This shit is legit, no other way to get the dot-science domain name. 

mattdlx

• Rep: 65
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 01:32:30 PM »
SPB!

Buttfart Rapedick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 03:52:39 PM »
I actually have a little bit of experience on these; when I was back home in Alabama, one of my shop homies was testing them. He had the ones with the white balls when I tried his board. They were definitely smooth, but we were in a warehouse so I can't really say I've tested how fast they were. Homie loved them though, and he'd literally just blow the dust out of them when they got slow, so it seems like they got the low maintenance part at least.

That's literally any ceramic. By nature they're longer lasting and require no lube. Honestly the main limiting factor with cheap ceramics has nothing to do with the balls, it's the quality of the steel in the races and how they're made and finished. You can take the balls out of pretty much any ceramic, pop them in your Reds (or your affordable bearing of choice) and have a long lasting, fast, low maintenance bearing (I've done this). They aren't invincible but they're usually not what fails when a bearing shits out.

I wasn't a fan of the vxb. Not bad, but not good either. For cheapies I prefer these but others have said they love their vxb so maybe I just got a bad set. Either way, it's definitely nice to be able to skate in wet weather or roll through puddles and not give a shit.

In all honesty, if speed is your primary concern my recommendation would be to get rockin Ron's $25 NMB's. I have a set of bones Swiss ceramics (maybe the most expensive skate specific bearing?) and they're pretty even in terms of speed, although I think new rockets were probably a bit faster. Ron's definitely got some kook tendencies and I would love to shit on him and say the bearings suck but theyre the only ones I've ever skated that legitimately scared me.

backinaction

• Rep: 68
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2021, 06:14:05 PM »
I wasn't a fan of the vxb. Not bad, but not good either. For cheapies I prefer these but others have said they love their vxb so maybe I just got a bad set. Either way, it's definitely nice to be able to skate in wet weather or roll through puddles and not give a shit.

I like my $12 ceramic VXBs and they have held up well. I am running them in a board that only sees transition use so they aren't getting abuse - but they have been running quite fast.

I have also had VXB steel ones that were absolute garbage and I probably skated them about 3 sessions before throwing them out.   

I don't trust that VXB is always going to deliver, and I could have just gotten an oddly nice set of their ceramics.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2021, 07:59:13 PM »

Probably this. You'll be amazed how cheap you can get ceramic bearings in China, and suppliers are willing to customize a graphic for you at very low MOQs (100 sets).

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 11
    • Quantum Bearings
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2021, 08:01:01 PM »
Appreciate all the interest!  Here’s a long winded response.

All the questions/concerns/curiosity helps us learn and grow this thing.  We’ll try to get all the big questions answered and probably even put them, in a FAQ, on our site, for new potential customers.

Here’s a few points

Re: the GraphFlo coating “wearing off”

- All of our bearings will ship with a formula designed to lube and recoat the bearings. 
 We do include shields with our bearings and, obviously, shielded bearings require less cleaning but you can run these shieldless and clean them every so often or just run them dirty.  Instructions on recommended cleaning will go up on our site soon.

Re: Our bearings being made overseas

-  It is our design being manufactured overseas.
 It is true the bearings are made overseas but they are made 
to our tolerances specific to the performance we are looking to achieve with the coating.
 We’re not just buying bulk bearings, pre-made, from the cheapest knock off supplier and spraying our coating on them. 
  Even if you purchased in bulk overseas with a comparable design to our bearings, you need to select and qualify a reputable supplier.  If you run through trading companies you get what you get and the cost is higher.  If you work directly with bearing manufacturers, they require high volumes levels or you get no love.  We are pulling relationship levers with suppliers, that we have developed, over time, working with high end opto and opto-mech OEM providers.

Re: Our process.  (Get ready for some tech talk)

If the bearings are not coated properly they can lock up.  It’s not something you just wake up and do one day.  There are 30+ peer reviewed scientific articles that tie to our coating work.
   Without giving away the whole recipe/process, I can tell you that we enhance the materials used in the ceramic roller balls using a process called MECNC (Matrix Enhanced Ceramic Nanocomposites).  Effectively we dope the ceramic roller ball materials with nanomaterials that enhance the characteristics we like about ceramic while mitigating the aspects we don’t like. 

A good point was made, in one of the posts above, about the inner/outer rings. material composition and surface finish.  Even in a super polished finish, there are submicron (sometimes micron level imperfections) in the surface.  This impacts the way the lube barrier flows through the raceway in a hydroelastic condition.  We apply a thin film ceramic barrier (not Si3N4 or ZrO2) on the metal surface.  Then we blanket a high strength “nano-net” that encompasses nano-spheres.  This “nano-net” does not interface with the ceramic barrier so it creates an ultra-low friction environment that corrects the imperfections of the metal during the finishing process. 
  Since the coating is proprietary, we keep this tech in-house and perform the highest level value-add step ourselves.  The bearings mechanics are just material specs and tolerances which can be automated.  So we do. 

We’ve tested these bearings for six months before going live with our site.  There have been, probably, four or five batches of bearings made to work out the kinks before setting on the formula that we’re happy with.
 Being that we’re both, originally, from Alabama (one still living there and one currently living in NC), we’ve had several are shops and their riders testing them out.  Peter and James, at Faith, are still riding some bearings, from our first batch, and are still stoked on them.
  We’ve also sent bearings to skaters (most of whom we’ve never met), in other parts of the country, to test and get feedback. 
Only a couple have stated that they prefer to stick to their preferred brand.  And that’s ok.  We don’t expect to monopolize the bearing market.  We just want to take something we love and apply it, to something else, that we love, and give skaters, of all skill level and budget restrictions, an affordable option.

We hope you guys try them and hope you like them.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 10:27:05 AM by Quantum_Bearing_Science »
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 26
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2021, 09:07:24 PM »
Will these bearing still turn if you roll through dog poo and then the dog poo dries up in the bearing and becomes hard like a rock, but not a regular rock, but a dog poo rock that's made of dog poo?

• Rep: -3
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2021, 02:03:44 AM »
Why can’t the cages be made from carbon fiber so they can last longer? I’d pay good money for Shimano Dura Ace bearings

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2021, 05:53:21 AM »
Hehehehehe pier reviewed.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2021, 06:09:33 AM »
There are 30+ pier reviewed scientific articles that tie to our coating work.
I’m going to go ahead and call shenanigans.
Ricky was caught beating some dude of?!?

yourbreakfsat

• Rep: 117
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2021, 10:00:05 AM »
Appreciate all the interest!  Here’s a long winded response.

All the questions/concerns/curiosity helps us learn and grow this thing.  We’ll try to get all the big questions answered and probably even put them, in a FAQ, on our site, for new potential customers.

Here’s a few points

Re: the GraphFlo coating “wearing off”

- All of our bearings will ship with a formula designed to lube and recoat the bearings. 
 We do include shields with our bearings and, obviously, shielded bearings require less cleaning but you can run these shieldless and clean them every so often or just run them dirty.  Instructions on recommended cleaning will go up on our site soon.

Re: Our bearings being made overseas

-  It is our design being manufactured overseas.
 It is true the bearings are made overseas but they are made 
to our tolerances specific to the performance we are looking to achieve with the coating.
 We’re not just buying bulk bearings, pre-made, from the cheapest knock off supplier and spraying our coating on them. 
  Even if you purchased in bulk overseas with a comparable design to our bearings, you need to select and qualify a reputable supplier.  If you run through trading companies you get what you get and the cost is higher.  If you work directly with bearing manufacturers, they require high volumes levels or you get no love.  We are pulling relationship levers with suppliers, that we have developed, over time, working with high end opto and opto-mech OEM providers.

Re: Our process.  (Get ready for some tech talk)

If the bearings are not coated properly they can lock up.  It’s not something you just wake up and do one day.  There are 30+ pier reviewed scientific articles that tie to our coating work.
   Without giving away the whole recipe/process, I can tell you that we enhance the materials used in the ceramic roller balls using a process called MECNC (Matrix Enhanced Ceramic Nanocomposites).  Effectively we dope the ceramic roller ball materials with nanomaterials that enhance the characteristics we like about ceramic while mitigating the aspects we don’t like. 

A good point was made, in one of the posts above, about the inner/outer rings. material composition and surface finish.  Even in a super polished finish, there are submicron (sometimes micron level imperfections) in the surface.  This impacts the way the lube barrier flows through the raceway in a hydroelastic condition.  We apply a thin film ceramic barrier (not Si3N4 or ZrO2) on the metal surface.  Then we blanket a high strength “nano-net” that encompasses nano-spheres.  This “nano-net” does not interface with the ceramic barrier so it creates an ultra-low friction environment that corrects the imperfections of the metal during the finishing process. 
  Since the coating is proprietary, we keep this tech in-house and perform the highest level value-add step ourselves.  The bearings mechanics are just material specs and tolerances which can be automated.  So we do. 

We’ve tested these bearings for six months before going live with our site.  There have been, probably, four or five batches of bearings made to work out the kinks before setting on the formula that we’re happy with.
 Being that we’re both, originally, from Alabama (one still living there and one currently living in NC), we’ve had several are shops and their riders testing them out.  Peter and James, at Faith, are still riding some bearings, from our first batch, and are still stoked on them.
  We’ve also sent bearings to skaters (most of whom we’ve never met), in other parts of the country, to test and get feedback. 
Only a couple have stated that they prefer to stick to their preferred brand.  And that’s ok.  We don’t expect to monopolize the bearing market.  We just want to take something we love and apply it, to something else, that we love, and give skaters, of all skill level and budget restrictions, an affordable option.

We hope you guys try them and hope you like them.

All these words and yet still no footy of them actually being used.

We’ve tested these bearings for six months before going live with our site.

Surely this means a few people actually recorded themselves stress testing these bearings, right?

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 124
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2021, 10:18:58 AM »
I bit. Just ordered some. Will report back.