Author Topic: "New Skater-Designed Ceramic Bearings"  (Read 8968 times)

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
    • Quantum Bearings
Re: "New Skater-Designed Ceramic Bearings"
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2021, 07:13:06 PM »
Many companies put out a six ball bearing as a cost effective  way to make their bearing roll faster but you sacrifice some of the bearingís mechanical strength.

We prefer a 7 rolling element bearing but use material science to make our bearings perform like a 6 rolling element bearing without sacrificing any of that mechanical strength.

http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

Skeleton Pudding

• Rep: 4
  • A liver and a frighter
« Reply #181 on: May 03, 2021, 10:52:47 AM »
After seeing this thread here on Slap, I decided to place an order. I've been thinking about updating my bearings, and this seemed like a way better option than plunking down a huge wad of cash.

I've never paid much attention to my bearings, usually riding NMB. Recently I did buy some titanium-based bearings from a skater-owned company, and though they felt solid, there was really no negligible difference.

I popped out the slow, greasy disaster of my current bearing set up and popped in a crisp new set of Quantum Bearings.

My first stop: a backyard pool.

I pushed into the deep end and arced a warmup backside kickturn, easily reaching the tiles. I pumped up and over the waterfall to the shallow end, hitting it with speed I've never felt before. It all felt effortless.

Immediately I realized that bearings DO make a difference. It was like getting a new eyeglass prescription, and experiencing the world in an improved way you didn't even think was possible. I didn't realize how shitty my bearing situation was until I rolled on these.

My second stop: a skatepark.

I decided to hit up McDowell Mountain Ranch in Scottsdale. There's a big bowl there, that's one of my favorites to skate. For whatever reason I've lost my confidence on anything frontside-related recently and thought this would be a good place to see if these bearings would make any difference.

The quickness of these bearings was once again obvious. Instead of fighting for speed on every wall, I was able to keep up my momentum in a way that felt very fluid. It actually changed the way that I approached each wall. Being freed from this extra effort made it easier to concentrate on what I was doing when I got to the top. Turning frontside felt very natural. I even tried hucking a couple frontside airs (it has been years since I've tried them). I didn't pull any, but felt close. The extra speed made it easier to set up and to bonk off of the lip.

These bearings made me a believer in the difference that good bearings make. You can feel the engineering beneath your feet. These bearings spin with more efficiency and with less friction.

There's also a sense of oneness with your wheels, if that makes any sense. Instead of a loose, rattle-filled ride, there's a feeling of being locked in. Like each bearing is set in a railroad track, and you're a motherfucking freight train barreling forward.

I was super impressed with Quantum Bearings, and it's so rad to see scientific know-how being used to improve equipment by fellow skaters.

I hope more skaters get hip to these.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 11:37:02 AM by Skeleton Pudding »

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #182 on: May 03, 2021, 03:16:02 PM »
I read your post, at lunch, earlier, but didnít want to respond with a ďHey, wow, thanks!Ē because you took the time to write all that and, quite frankly, we couldnít have written a better review, ourselves, if we tried.

All the things you mention are what we think about when we think about these bearings.  You shouldnít have to push so much.  You should be able to enjoy the ride more and just flow.  You should be able to have time to set up for a trick.  And you shouldnít have to settle for less because you canít drop a large amount of your cash on a good set of bearings.

Weíre loving the overall positive response weíre getting from skaters.  Things are starting to get going for us.  Weíre getting into shops and getting our name out there.  We donít have a large marketing budget or a team of pros, so the word of mouth and buzz is all we have, right now.  Hopefully one day weíll have all that.  Iíd love to see some of the greats riding our bearings. 

Who knows whatís going to happen?  All we know is weíre going to keep skating and keep making these bearings as long as we can and enjoy the ride.

Thanks again everyone.  Youíre really helping to fuel this thing.

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #183 on: May 03, 2021, 09:24:45 PM »
I'm more impressed you stuck around on Slap and responded to all the hostile comments. The bearing market space is homogenized with so much marketing talk. Definitely refreshing to get a no BS brand offerings quality at a great price.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 498
    • 35th Ave Skates
« Reply #184 on: May 03, 2021, 09:55:31 PM »
Ordered a set to try, if they work well Iíll see about carrying them at our shop.
Thanks!

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 44
« Reply #185 on: May 04, 2021, 07:08:06 AM »
By all means, support your local shop.  These will be in shops soon enough. 

Weíre only able to make about 250 sets a week, right now, so theyíre only getting to a few shops each week.  Several NC shops already have them. 
  Also, a lot of shops just want to go through distributors.  Thatís something we donít have at the moment.

And my skating wonít sell these.  Iím in my 40ís.  Iím good with just bombing a small parking deck these days.  If I land a trick, itís icing on the cake.

What shops in NC carry your bearings? I'm just south of Charlotte, and want to try out a set for my cruiser, Im a bones Swiss dude, but open to try something new, especially seeing that its local. Does Black Sheep or Armada carry them (didn't see them on Sheep's site). If I'm going to buy id like to support a shop.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #186 on: May 04, 2021, 10:23:50 AM »
Armada and RTX have/had them. 

And ARC Skate Shop will have them probably by the end of the week.  Thatís in Eden though.

Plus Skateshop, Faith Skate Supply and Deluxe in SF have them if youíd rather order from a shop than direct from us, but arenít near those shops.

Black Sheep hasnít placed an order yet.  Theyíre like a lot of shops and donít carry a ton of bearing brands and are maybe hesitant to give us a shot.  Hopefully change that soon.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 08:44:23 PM by Quantum_Bearing_Science »

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #187 on: May 04, 2021, 10:39:58 AM »
Ordered a set to try, if they work well Iíll see about carrying them at our shop.
Thanks!

Appreciate that!  Which shop is yours?

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

IusedToSkateMore

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #188 on: May 04, 2021, 10:42:21 AM »
Thanks!

I was skeptical as fuck man, and although I skate pretty low key, I'm super happy with my $35 isotopes. sound good, roll good and long, and build momentum as I cruise. you know what I'm saying about the momentum, like 1 or 2 easy pushes seem to just keep going.
stay high, lay low

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #189 on: May 04, 2021, 10:48:46 AM »
Glad to hear!  Thanks again

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #190 on: May 04, 2021, 11:29:02 AM »
Had the atoms for a month in my bigger board. Iím enjoying them a lot.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 498
    • 35th Ave Skates
« Reply #191 on: May 04, 2021, 07:29:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Thanks!
[close]

www.35thave.com

IusedToSkateMore

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #192 on: May 04, 2021, 08:06:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks!
[close]

[close]
www.35thave.com

hey 35th ave. y'alls shop decks, I got an 8.5 contest graphic by Carina a few weeks back, are the best I've skated in a while. good stuff!!
stay high, lay low

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #193 on: May 04, 2021, 08:18:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks!
[close]

[close]
www.35thave.com

Fantastic!  Weíd love to have our bearings in your shop.  Iíve ordered from you guys in the past.  Iíve got one of your shop shirts in rotation.

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 4
« Reply #194 on: May 04, 2021, 10:15:10 PM »
Would like to try out a set of these whenever available in EU.

TracersOnlyfans

• Rep: 202
« Reply #195 on: May 05, 2021, 01:54:57 AM »
I'm keen to try these too, when a shop in NZ carries them.
some of you guys are sexually attracted to your etnies marianas, and it shows

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #196 on: May 05, 2021, 10:59:54 AM »
Would like to try out a set of these whenever available in EU.

Weíre trying to get distribution in other parts of the world.  Weíd love to get these bearings out to as many shops and skaters as possible.

Just need to work out the logistics and make it work without losing money.

If anyone has a contact for any distributors or works in that area, please reach out.

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #197 on: May 07, 2021, 08:23:36 PM »
Expand Quote
By all means, support your local shop.  These will be in shops soon enough. 

Weíre only able to make about 250 sets a week, right now, so theyíre only getting to a few shops each week.  Several NC shops already have them. 
  Also, a lot of shops just want to go through distributors.  Thatís something we donít have at the moment.

And my skating wonít sell these.  Iím in my 40ís.  Iím good with just bombing a small parking deck these days.  If I land a trick, itís icing on the cake.
[close]

What shops in NC carry your bearings? I'm just south of Charlotte, and want to try out a set for my cruiser, Im a bones Swiss dude, but open to try something new, especially seeing that its local. Does Black Sheep or Armada carry them (didn't see them on Sheep's site). If I'm going to buy id like to support a shop.

I was wrong.  Armada still has some of our bearings in stock.  Please visit them.

Weíre constantly reaching out to shops and skaters and will email our shop pricing to them if given contact info.

Anyone can feel free to pm me if you have info or suggestions. 

Weíre trying to grow this thing. 

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

LeakThis

• Rep: -19
« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2021, 08:14:33 AM »
Finally bit the bullet Order Number: #00101

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #199 on: May 08, 2021, 12:44:00 PM »
Finally bit the bullet Order Number: #00101

Awesome!  Thank you.

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

scrub74

• Rep: 3
« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2021, 07:16:56 PM »
I'm pretty in love with this combo

I just cruised down my crusty street to the elementary school red curb and they felt great.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2021, 08:31:57 PM »
Glad to hear!

Iím running those same wheels but with our Atom series bearings.

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

slutonparade

• Rep: 18
« Reply #202 on: May 12, 2021, 08:38:50 PM »
I'm about to copy that combo.  Just ordered some atoms for 54mm 97a F4's.  I'm excited to try them

sketchyrider

• Rep: 49
« Reply #203 on: May 13, 2021, 07:56:25 AM »
not sure if this is real or i imagined it, but are ceramic bearings inherently more brittle and less resilient than steel ones? you know, since i'm stomping so many stair sets these days...

off

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • no gods no masters
« Reply #204 on: May 13, 2021, 10:07:00 AM »
whos running a set without the shields? how are they holding up/comparing to other bearing brands?

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 59
  • A sentient skatepark blue tooth speaker
« Reply #205 on: May 13, 2021, 10:18:50 AM »
whos running a set without the shields? how are they holding up/comparing to other bearing brands?
I was running my atoms without shields. They still feel good and fast, but I can feel the dirt building up. Blowing them out worked a couple times, but plan to clean and run with shields just to cut the maintenance down (no way to look cool felating your trucks at the spot). My isotopes were shields on since day one and they still have the fresh out the box feel.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #206 on: May 13, 2021, 10:36:29 AM »
If youíre running them shieldless, itís worth 10 minutes every couple of weeks to clean and maintain them.  Theyíre precision bearings.  If you take care of them, they should only get better. 

I enjoy seeing the results after I clean mine.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 10:47:15 AM by Quantum_Bearing_Science »

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

IusedToSkateMore

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #207 on: May 13, 2021, 10:57:37 AM »

I'm running isotopes without shields and they're getting dirty real fast. probably gonna throw the shields back on after a cleaning. I Really don't wanna clean my shit all the time
stay high, lay low

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Instagram
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #208 on: May 13, 2021, 11:46:41 AM »
Running mine shield-less, cleaned them once - they're holding up well, but I'm gentle on my gear compared to most. I'd put them near Rockin Rons' level  ;)

off

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • no gods no masters
« Reply #209 on: May 13, 2021, 12:39:40 PM »
thanks for the answers

gotta run shieldless for the sound, feels wrong riding a quiet setup. if extra maintenance is the trade off then so be it