Author Topic: "New Skater-Designed Ceramic Bearings"  (Read 9026 times)

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 12
    • Quantum Bearings
Re: Hi!
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2021, 10:28:23 AM »
Hehehehehe pier reviewed.

Fixed it.  Thanks. 

All those words...
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2021, 10:29:13 AM »
They have a insta which shows a bit more...
there’s one clip of James Hardy skating them in the highlights. https://instagram.com/quantumbearingscience?igshid=13u5n1uztgrwh

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2021, 10:40:07 AM »
They have a insta which shows a bit more...
there’s one clip of James Hardy skating them in the highlights. https://instagram.com/quantumbearingscience?igshid=13u5n1uztgrwh

Yeah, we gave him a set, months ago, just to test.  He was down.  No strings.  They were from our first run.  We’ve made a few changes since then but he’s still riding that first set.

We’re big fans of all those guys at Faith. 

He was just down to test them for us. 

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

sammyz

• Rep: 39
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2021, 05:25:54 PM »
I was gonna buy, but you don’t  ship to Australia? You guys planning to change that soon?

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2021, 06:46:27 PM »
I was gonna buy, but you don’t  ship to Australia? You guys planning to change that soon?

Absolutely planning to change that soon.  It’s a work in progress. 

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1144
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2021, 07:13:55 PM »
Yeah I'm gonna need to know what cover bands you are in before making any purchasing decisions.

CannerSpaghetti

• Rep: 0
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2021, 07:31:01 PM »
I’ll be down to try some when my set of super reds hits the crapper. Saving this thread for when that happens.

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 127
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2021, 07:46:29 PM »
Yeah I'm gonna need to know what cover bands you are in before making any purchasing decisions.

Wish I could gnar ya.

TracersOnlyfans

• Rep: 202
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2021, 09:25:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Saving this thread for when shipping to NZ is available, cheers
some of you guys are sexually attracted to your etnies marianas, and it shows

Paperclip20

• Rep: 32
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2021, 05:05:08 AM »
I purchased a set. Might try to do a short vid and write a review when I get them in.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2021, 06:10:11 AM »
The stimmy just hit. Guess I’ll donate part of it to scientific research

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2021, 09:05:23 AM »
Thanks, guys!

Be sure to let us know you found us from Slap.

My friend is handling the shipping and says he’s throwing a few extra sets into random orders.

And follow us on Instagram if you’re on there.  We’ll be posting more content soon. 

Especially since more and more people are about to start getting their orders. 

And we’ll be having contests and giving away some bearings I’m sure.

@quantumbearingscience

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:36:15 AM by Quantum_Bearing_Science »

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

Frank and Fred

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2021, 09:08:06 AM »
That's great. Wished you'd said that earlier... My order is already on the way....

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2021, 09:14:59 AM »
That's great. Wished you'd said that earlier... My order is already on the way....

I’m not sure which orders he’s hooking up.  Has nothing to do with where you found us.

Completely random.

I asked that people mention Slap because it’ll help us to see where people are finding us.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:22:43 AM by Quantum_Bearing_Science »

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2021, 09:35:48 AM »
Thanks, guys!

Be sure to let us know you found us from Slap.

My friend is handling the shipping and says he’s throwing extra sets into random orders.

And follow us on Instagram if you’re on there.  We’ll be posting more content soon. 

Especially since more and more people are about to start getting their orders. 

And we’ll be having contests and giving away some bearings I’m sure.

@Quantumbearingscience

Hook it up, order #18

Frank and Fred

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2021, 09:51:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m not sure which orders he’s hooking up.  Has nothing to do with where you found us.

Completely random.

I asked that people mention Slap because it’ll help us to see where people are finding us.

Fair enough. I'm Pete from Portland and found you via Slap.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2021, 10:45:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Saving this thread for when shipping to NZ is available, cheers

If you have local shops, please, have them reach out.

That goes for anybody.

Especially if you’re outside the US, though.  We’d love to send a bunch and not have to work out 1-2 sets at a time.

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

manysnakes

• Rep: 47
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2021, 12:45:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Where are these manufactured?
[close]

Appears to be based out of University of North Carolina
[close]

I hope these just aren’t AliExpress ceramics that they put their special coating/logo on.

All my experience with any ceramics costing this much is that they are indeed shitty AliExpress bearings

JugeL

• Rep: -11
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2021, 12:55:07 PM »
If i would wanna create the worst possible name for my aliexpress ceramic bearing company, Quantum Bearing Science would be like third on the list

Xen

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2021, 01:56:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I hope these just aren’t AliExpress ceramics that they put their special coating/logo on.
[close]

All my experience with any ceramics costing this much is that they are indeed shitty AliExpress bearings

But with quantumnanoparticlegrapheeenlubejuice!

manysnakes

• Rep: 47
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2021, 02:23:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

But with quantumnanoparticlegrapheeenlubejuice!

Even the name sounds like an Alibaba brand

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2021, 03:01:39 PM »
How much do you guys think some of the other, larger, bearing companies pay for their bearings? 

When you factor in larger companies that have overhead, many employees, sponsor skaters, distribution models that cut into margins, you can see how a low cost and even low performance bearing can get expensive quickly. 

We have no employees, no riders, no distribution and do not factor any of our labor into the price of the bearings.

Again, our bearings are not cheap, they are inexpensive.  And they are inexpensive, even with technology value add, because we choose them to be.

As for the company name, we plan to use this coating process, in the future, in other areas and industries.  Then you’d have Quantum (fill in the blank) Science.  The possibilities for the technology are incredible.  But we’re skaters, so we started with bearings.

That makes it a little more difficult to pick a simpler name or, as I like to say, dumb it down.

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

TracersOnlyfans

• Rep: 202
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2021, 04:03:54 PM »
^^ Quantum Snark Science
some of you guys are sexually attracted to your etnies marianas, and it shows

sammyz

• Rep: 39
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2021, 05:41:22 PM »
How much do you guys think some of the other, larger, bearing companies pay for their bearings? 

When you factor in larger companies that have overhead, many employees, sponsor skaters, distribution models that cut into margins, you can see how a low cost and even low performance bearing can get expensive quickly. 

We have no employees, no riders, no distribution and do not factor any of our labor into the price of the bearings.

Again, our bearings are not cheap, they are inexpensive.  And they are inexpensive, even with technology value add, because we choose them to be.

As for the company name, we plan to use this coating process, in the future, in other areas and industries.  Then you’d have Quantum (fill in the blank) Science.  The possibilities for the technology are incredible.  But we’re skaters, so we started with bearings.

That makes it a little more difficult to pick a simpler name or, as I like to say, dumb it down.

Man, dont take it to heart, every new product that launches will get scepticism to start with especially bearings as there are some many out there claiming to do something different but are just rebranded garbage.

Once people try them and if they like them then thats proof in the pudding . Until then i respect that you’re actively replying to every one rather than doing one introductory post and fuckin’ off.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2021, 05:41:35 PM »
SLAP can be brutal but a good ribbing is part of the parcel here. If your product performs, people will get over your name.

Anyway, stoked to try a ceramic bearing again. I did try the Hard Luck ceramics a few years ago and they were garbage.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2021, 05:57:24 PM »
Here is a logo I have been working on. Maybe I could receive a small portion of the sales?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2021, 06:34:37 PM »
ordered a set.  too good of a price to not give them a shot.  eager to try them out.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2021, 06:55:51 PM »
Slap when we get our quantum bearings

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2021, 07:02:21 PM »
Appreciate all the interest!  Here’s a long winded response.

All the questions/concerns/curiosity helps us learn and grow this thing.  We’ll try to get all the big questions answered and probably even put them, in a FAQ, on our site, for new potential customers.

Here’s a few points

Re: the GraphFlo coating “wearing off”

- All of our bearings will ship with a formula designed to lube and recoat the bearings. 
 We do include shields with our bearings and, obviously, shielded bearings require less cleaning but you can run these shieldless and clean them every so often or just run them dirty.  Instructions on recommended cleaning will go up on our site soon.

Re: Our bearings being made overseas

-  It is our design being manufactured overseas.
 It is true the bearings are made overseas but they are made 
to our tolerances specific to the performance we are looking to achieve with the coating.
 We’re not just buying bulk bearings, pre-made, from the cheapest knock off supplier and spraying our coating on them. 
  Even if you purchased in bulk overseas with a comparable design to our bearings, you need to select and qualify a reputable supplier.  If you run through trading companies you get what you get and the cost is higher.  If you work directly with bearing manufacturers, they require high volumes levels or you get no love.  We are pulling relationship levers with suppliers, that we have developed, over time, working with high end opto and opto-mech OEM providers.

Re: Our process.  (Get ready for some tech talk)

If the bearings are not coated properly they can lock up.  It’s not something you just wake up and do one day.  There are 30+ peer reviewed scientific articles that tie to our coating work.
   Without giving away the whole recipe/process, I can tell you that we enhance the materials used in the ceramic roller balls using a process called MECNC (Matrix Enhanced Ceramic Nanocomposites).  Effectively we dope the ceramic roller ball materials with nanomaterials that enhance the characteristics we like about ceramic while mitigating the aspects we don’t like. 

A good point was made, in one of the posts above, about the inner/outer rings. material composition and surface finish.  Even in a super polished finish, there are submicron (sometimes micron level imperfections) in the surface.  This impacts the way the lube barrier flows through the raceway in a hydroelastic condition.  We apply a thin film ceramic barrier (not Si3N4 or ZrO2) on the metal surface.  Then we blanket a high strength “nano-net” that encompasses nano-spheres.  This “nano-net” does not interface with the ceramic barrier so it creates an ultra-low friction environment that corrects the imperfections of the metal during the finishing process. 
  Since the coating is proprietary, we keep this tech in-house and perform the highest level value-add step ourselves.  The bearings mechanics are just material specs and tolerances which can be automated.  So we do. 

We’ve tested these bearings for six months before going live with our site.  There have been, probably, four or five batches of bearings made to work out the kinks before setting on the formula that we’re happy with.
 Being that we’re both, originally, from Alabama (one still living there and one currently living in NC), we’ve had several are shops and their riders testing them out.  Peter and James, at Faith, are still riding some bearings, from our first batch, and are still stoked on them.
  We’ve also sent bearings to skaters (most of whom we’ve never met), in other parts of the country, to test and get feedback. 
Only a couple have stated that they prefer to stick to their preferred brand.  And that’s ok.  We don’t expect to monopolize the bearing market.  We just want to take something we love and apply it, to something else, that we love, and give skaters, of all skill level and budget restrictions, an affordable option.

We hope you guys try them and hope you like them.

Respect that you came back with a response and the thread has generated enough interest to make it 2 pages deep.

Personally it doesn't bother me that the bearings are from China, I would bet that 99% of company bearings come from there and if it's 1 thing China excels at it's mass manufacturing. The irony is that it's unfashionable to be remotely associated with the manufacturing juggernaut.

If he bearings are quality and hit the right price point then power to you.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2021, 07:07:43 PM »

Personally it doesn't bother me that the bearings are from China, I would bet that 99% of company bearings come from there and if it's 1 thing China excels at it's mass manufacturing. The irony is that it's unfashionable to be remotely associated with the manufacturing juggernaut.

If he bearings are quality and hit the right price point then power to you.

+1

People should throw out all their Televisions, Video Cards, Motherboards, RAM, CPUs and Phones while they're at it.