Author Topic: "New Skater-Designed Ceramic Bearings"  (Read 9028 times)

augustmoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
Re: Hi!
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2021, 07:18:14 PM »
really stoked that yall are southern and are down with the guys at Faith. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2021, 07:38:04 PM »
us get a discount code or free ship or group buy or? What other place can garner this type of attention and interest and sales? Your IG isn’t reaching - on the contrary literally 3 people reading this thread right this second that could be converted to sales.
And injust gnarred you back to 0 from Negative so let’s get this going. Also your thread title sucks

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 12
    • Quantum Bearings
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2021, 07:52:33 PM »
Weíre actually getting hosed on shipping.  Weíre working that out with Ship Station but absorbing some of the cost right now.

I wish we could do a discount code but I think the discount is in the product.

Youíre right.  Weíre getting a lot of attention from this forum and itís highly appreciated.  And believe me when I say it wonít be forgotten. 

Weíre not doing this strictly to make money.  Iíll be more excited to hear about people using our bearings or to see our stickers on boards in the setup thread (my most frequented thread) than I will be about any monetary gain. 

First and foremost, weíre skaters.  One just happens to be a chemist.  Itís a dream to be able to use that to benefit skateboarding. 
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2021, 08:00:54 PM »
Also, what should I rename the thread.  I struggled with that for 10 minutes the first night.

And thanks for the gnar.  The negative rep was eating at me.

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

KillDayoy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 13
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2021, 08:06:16 PM »
Not hurting for bearings but just ordered a set, happy to spread that stimmy money and try something new

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 127
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2021, 08:10:32 PM »
Expand Quote

Personally it doesn't bother me that the bearings are from China, I would bet that 99% of company bearings come from there and if it's 1 thing China excels at it's mass manufacturing. The irony is that it's unfashionable to be remotely associated with the manufacturing juggernaut.

If he bearings are quality and hit the right price point then power to you.
[close]

+1

People should throw out all their Televisions, Video Cards, Motherboards, RAM, CPUs and Phones while they're at it.

I never understood this argument. With the products you mention, sure its hard to avoid Chinese made. However, with skateboarding products you sometimes still can and its nice to support those options when it makes sense.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2021, 08:22:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Personally it doesn't bother me that the bearings are from China, I would bet that 99% of company bearings come from there and if it's 1 thing China excels at it's mass manufacturing. The irony is that it's unfashionable to be remotely associated with the manufacturing juggernaut.

[close]

+1

People should throw out all their Televisions, Video Cards, Motherboards, RAM, CPUs and Phones while they're at it.
[close]

I never understood this argument. With the products you mention, sure its hard to avoid Chinese made. However, with skateboarding products you sometimes still can and its nice to support those options when it makes sense.

For boards, wheels and truck yes, but bearings? Can't think of a fully made in US bearing company.

Staggerd

• Rep: 2
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2021, 08:28:39 PM »
Also, what should I rename the thread.  I struggled with that for 10 minutes the first night.

And thanks for the gnar.  The negative rep was eating at me.

Anything other than "Hi!" would be better.

"New Skater-Designed Ceramic Bearings" comes to mind.  Although at this point "Matrix Enhanced Ceramic Nanocomposite Coated Si3N4 Ceramic Bearings for $35.95, Lab Coats Sold Separately" might be more apt until someone starts reviewing these things.

That said I purchased some bearings and I'm interested in seeing how they perform. 

Aside: Any references available on the 30+ peer-reviewed studies?

IusedToSkateMore

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: "New Skater-Designed Ceramic Bearings"
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2021, 08:59:05 PM »
so I mean, I get what you're saying you're trying to do, and if it's legit right on. but what's up with your skating. you say you're a skater first and foremost, but all we're seeing here is business and manufacturing. people might be inclined to peep your goods if you came across as likable and relatable. otherwise it's a straight business pitch and I'd rather give money to someone I know or at least a distant shop that I know actively promotes small time, local skateboarding
stay high, lay low

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2021, 09:24:48 PM »
By all means, support your local shop.  These will be in shops soon enough. 

Weíre only able to make about 250 sets a week, right now, so theyíre only getting to a few shops each week.  Several NC shops already have them. 
  Also, a lot of shops just want to go through distributors.  Thatís something we donít have at the moment.

And my skating wonít sell these.  Iím in my 40ís.  Iím good with just bombing a small parking deck these days.  If I land a trick, itís icing on the cake.

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

IusedToSkateMore

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2021, 09:48:26 PM »

Weíre only able to make about 250 sets a week, right now, so theyíre only getting to a few shops each week.  Several NC shops already have them. 
  Also, a lot of shops just want to go through distributors.  Thatís something we donít have at the moment.

And my skating wonít sell these.  Iím in my 40ís.  Iím good with just bombing a small parking deck these days.  If I land a trick, itís icing on the cake.

no one's trying to see you skate. I skate parking lots too. Anyone can sell skate goods and claim legitimacy, look at braille. What makes you legit other than manufacturing technology? What I'm getting at is, why should anyone here go with you over another company?
stay high, lay low

Paperclip20

• Rep: 32
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2021, 04:35:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

no one's trying to see you skate. I skate parking lots too. Anyone can sell skate goods and claim legitimacy, look at braille. What makes you legit other than manufacturing technology? What I'm getting at is, why should anyone here go with you over another company?

I mean. It seems like their whole pitch is quality bearings at a lower price. Reasonably that's why people would go with them if their product turns out to be good. You said what's up with their skating then that no one wants to see them skate. No ones forcing you to buy these man, I don't think they're trying to replace bones with these.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -365
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2021, 07:18:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I mean. It seems like their whole pitch is quality bearings at a lower price. Reasonably that's why people would go with them if their product turns out to be good. You said what's up with their skating then that no one wants to see them skate. No ones forcing you to buy these man, I don't think they're trying to replace bones with these.

Lol

Not even sure this guy knows why he has a problem with them yet.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• Rep: 178
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2021, 07:30:09 AM »
I'd be interested in a link to a few of these peer-reviewed papers too, I'm in material science myself

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2021, 07:40:27 AM »
wow lotta science deniers in here

sbmfj

• Rep: 30
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2021, 07:43:38 AM »
they are for sure that

Chinese for sure. Cant have real ceramics that cheap.

They prob are ok, 36$ is a fair price as well.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2021, 07:53:52 AM »
Expand Quote
they are for sure that
[close]

Chinese for sure. Cant have real ceramics that cheap.

They prob are ok, 36$ is a fair price as well.

What qualifies as real ceramics? Are ceramic products made in China fake?
Genuinely asking since I just buy bearings, I don't the science or business behind it.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2021, 08:18:58 AM »
I'd be interested in a link to a few of these peer-reviewed papers too, I'm in material science myself

PMíd you and Staggerd

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2021, 08:30:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Hehehehehe pier reviewed.
[close]

Fixed it.  Thanks. 

All those words...

You seem to be a good sport, and Iím genuinely interested in ordering a set sometime soon.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

IusedToSkateMore

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2021, 09:25:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What's up with their skating ie do they actually skate? Are you a long board guy? Are they kooks like braille? What are you providing other than another product? Not "how" do you skate? What tricks do you do? What do you represent?

I haven't decided whether I would or wouldn't buy a set, but when it's a new, supposed cottage industry, there's nothing wrong with asking questions
stay high, lay low

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2021, 09:27:58 AM »
If James Hardy is willing to test them, I trust them.

one-off

• Rep: 31
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2021, 10:45:03 AM »
It would reassure me if other bearing brands could now make it explicit they are NOT skater designed

(Joking, I wish your company all the best)

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Quantum Bearings
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2021, 10:46:04 AM »
Started skating in 1990.  You were lucky to find a ramp, in the south, then, so we skated street mostly.  As time went on we found a few people with minis.  Then parks started popping up but I was in my 30ís, by then, so my transition skills were limited.  But I like to ride transition too.  These days Iím happy to skate flat ground with my kids.

From the time I got my first board, at age 15, to now, Iíve never NOT had a skateboard to ride.  Iím a lifer.

Never had a longboard but have no issue with them.  I think a few of those guys have bought and liked our bearings.

Instagram
@quantumbearingscience

IusedToSkateMore

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2021, 01:16:57 PM »
Started skating in 1990.  You were lucky to find a ramp, in the south, then, so we skated street mostly.  As time went on we found a few people with minis.  Then parks started popping up but I was in my 30ís, by then, so my transition skills were limited.  But I like to ride transition too.  These days Iím happy to skate flat ground with my kids.

From the time I got my first board, at age 15, to now, Iíve never NOT had a skateboard to ride.  Iím a lifer.

Never had a longboard but have no issue with them.  I think a few of those guys have bought and liked our bearings.

Thanks for sharing your story, bud. Not too different than mine. I was skating in NC around 05-07. Only park I ended up skating was in Asheville. Shit was rugged and raw otherwise.
stay high, lay low

manysnakes

• Rep: 47
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2021, 01:37:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

+1

Can anyone point me to where in this thread it is stated or implied that there is something wrong with Chinese bearings?

OldCandy

• Rep: -9
  • cant shuv
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2021, 08:31:49 PM »

get a beer-run board its great - you only need some fat wheels and risers/hardware i think it warrants another quiver anyways
I wish I'd known that at best we only have 20 summers at a decent skate level.
From then on it's low impact skating and trying not to forget tricks. 20 summers. And then it's over.

lovermangenius

• Rep: 20
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2021, 09:04:49 PM »
Quick piece of feedback: maybe mack a page on the site with a little infographic explaining the difference between the three models. A lot of the info in the product descriptions is a bit hard to digest as a layman. Thinking about picking up a set, can't be any worse than the bronsons I have in my cruiser.

Staggerd

• Rep: 2
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2021, 09:35:54 PM »
Quick piece of feedback: maybe mack a page on the site with a little infographic explaining the difference between the three models. A lot of the info in the product descriptions is a bit hard to digest as a layman. Thinking about picking up a set, can't be any worse than the bronsons I have in my cruiser.
After talking with Jason from Quantum Bearing Science, the difference is in the material the balls are made from. From least expensive to most you have: carbon steel, ZrO2, and Si3N4.  The last two being ceramic, of which Si3N4 is the lightest. The lighter the material, the faster you can roll the bearings. Also, there's the whole GraphFlo SCIENCE, which from what I can tell is basically a solid lubricant coating that gets baked in.

sketchyrider

• Rep: 49
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2021, 08:40:24 AM »
while we're in here, what exactly makes a good bearing? as a kid i thought bearings were the most interesting part of the setup cause they seemed so technical and complex compared to other parts like a wooden deck, then it dawned on me they were mostly the same, some just lasted longer.

outer races, cages, balls, shields, lube, thats pretty much it.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2021, 09:25:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
After talking with Jason from Quantum Bearing Science, the difference is in the material the balls are made from. From least expensive to most you have: carbon steel, ZrO2, and Si3N4.  The last two being ceramic, of which Si3N4 is the lightest. The lighter the material, the faster you can roll the bearings. Also, there's the whole GraphFlo SCIENCE, which from what I can tell is basically a solid lubricant coating that gets baked in.
i agree with lovermangenius, outside of price theres nothing to show the average joe "good, better, best"
as a buyer for shops, i think marketing takes a huge step in this catagory outside of the sales person actually saying "buy reds, or if you want to go fast get swiss"
one thing i would critique would be the photos are a little dark and out of focus, that can go a long way on presentation for a new brand.