Author Topic: How good were World Industries decks back in the day?  (Read 1590 times)

Reed Richards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
How good were World Industries decks back in the day?
« on: March 16, 2021, 03:31:32 PM »
Watched Trilogy again and thought about this.  Were they quality decks for their day, or just popular?  And I mean in the era from like Rubbish Heap to Trilogy, not the Flameboy/Wet Willie/Devilman time.

Fhk

Re: How good were World Industries decks back in the day?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 04:24:36 PM »
The quality was shit but when you set one up you were untouchable for a week or so.

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 04:49:16 PM »
The quality was shit but when you set one up you were untouchable for a week or so.

This^. They had the sickest graphics, shapes and dyes but they broke super easy. They just felt so cool to skate and look down at that your confidence made up for the fact that they were actually kind of junk. That was the original Prime woodshop. Now that Prime is up and running again they still seem to make pretty shit quality decks, just from holding them. Can't attest to actually skating one of the new ones.

Edit: but as for Dwindle/DSM, they've actually done a pretty good job of maintaining the original look/shape of their boards over the years, and quality has drastically improved from the Prime days. If you can find a flatter DSM shape it's like a high quality version of the 90's ones.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 06:09:59 PM »
They were super popular because of their pros and graphics.  The wood? Not so much.

Rocco talks about how horrible the wood was when they started in the World documentary - which is a great video.

I have been hesitant to try any of the new Prime stuff.  I have seen people posting reissues they have done with mad pressure cracks and warps.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 06:40:39 PM »

If there was a modern day equivalent, that’s what I’d buy.
I didn’t think the quality was bad, the boards skated awesome, and the shapes/graphics/team were legendary. The boards did not last tho. I think I broke more than 1 in a day. But they felt rad. Many boards last forever....and I wish they wouldn’t

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 07:48:28 PM »
Damn so if Prime ever does a reissue I want, or a blind bag type thing, I'll just have to get it as a wall hanger.  Got it.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 09:24:19 PM »
World boards were inconsistent, as most boards were in the 90s, but you were THE shit if you had one.  They were almost mythical in Australia.  I got a stickerama and was the absolute champ for a little while. 

• Rep: 31
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 12:19:06 AM »
Had the Think Crime deck and it was absolutely the best shit imaginable. Skated World boards through the 90s and always thought they had the best shapes. Never knew why people said the wood was shit but I was all about curbs, ledges, flat, and six stairs at the most so boards lasted me quite awhile.

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 02:53:06 AM »
They crumbled fast but you felt so awesome skating one, it didn’t matter.

SuperRupp

• Rep: 2
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 10:07:25 PM »
The new Shorty’s reissue boards are supposedly from prime. I got one coming in the mail right now. Hopefully the quality is decent.

ballintoohard

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 08:05:36 AM »
First deck I ever broke in 1999 nosesliding the worlds lowest 4 stair hand rail.

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 10:34:23 AM »
Expand Quote
That was the original Prime woodshop. Now that Prime is up and running again they still seem to make pretty shit quality decks, just from holding them. Can't attest to actually skating one of the new ones.
[close]

How so? What's wrong with them? You said they're shit quality from holding them. Have you skated one?

Didn't read my whole post?

They warp very easy, I've seen a brand new one delaminated. But I'm a wood/deck nerd - I've worked in a woodshop and it's not hard to tell low quality decks from just holding them. They have inconsistent edges and shapes, so whoever is sanding them is not so good at it. Also, they're still very flexy, not stiff/strong... just like they were in the 90's.

quaintly

• Rep: 11
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 01:27:50 PM »
The edges seemed to be routed sharper , so they felt slimmer , and poppier . But so much weaker , and more prone to getting soggy quicker.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 01:30:19 PM »
i've ridden a few of the Prime blanks and they honestly feel great and last me about a month
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 01:36:57 PM »
The shapes were sick but the quality was garbage.

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 07:43:58 PM »
I skated a shit-ton of the stick-o-rama boards in a row, they wore fast but they were soooo good it was worth it.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 10:48:20 PM »
I skated a shit-ton of the stick-o-rama boards in a row, they wore fast but they were soooo good it was worth it.
My first world board 1990 Mike Valley mini model
Last world board 1998 marc Johnson A team

I had a shit load in between prime, 101, blind,   I have nothing but good memories about world industries
I think I was so young I was just stoked on whatever I had at the time

I'm currently on my 4th or 5th Blind FUBK Rear end rudy reissue and have three more to skate
dsm wood and shapes are very good these days