Author Topic: Why skateboard?  (Read 1620 times)

valuecommonsense

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -69
Re: Why skateboard?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2021, 02:53:56 AM »
To me it's the only choice that isn't dumb, roller blading is basically skateboarding but with every trick besides 180s and 360s being taken away, biking is basically skateboarding but with everything but 180s 360s and 360 shoves being taken away. You would have be dumb to purposely take away so many options from yourself.

The only thing i could ever think would be as good as skating was if guys were doing flip tricks on dirt bikes, imagine a guy popping a 80 foot gapped tre bomb over a dirt ramp, maybe we should ask NineJah.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 03:15:43 AM by valuecommonsense »

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2021, 08:19:17 AM »
I started skating when I was a kid because of I thought of myself as a Bart Simpson type and skateboarding successfully marketed itself in the mainstream as a subversive athletic hobby. It was part of a cultural space in my junior high for kids deemed as trouble makers - us attention seekers that were half jocky and half nerdy and all spazz. We watched Jackass and played THPS and skated. I stopped skating when I started driving and going to parties, but always had a board and would occasionally dick around on it. I started skating again as an adult because I needed to break my 10 year streak of being a lazy lard ass and exercise was too boring to stick with and pickup basketball games were too inconsistent. I got bit by the bug of learning/improving. Pretty quickly I made some close friends in skating and that probably kept me with it for awhile, but over the years my relationship to skateboarding itself has grown really strong and that's what it's about for me nowadays. Full nerd mode, interested in the history and the culture and the gear and the mechanics and the spots and so on, and of course the actual act of skateboarding brings some real pleasure. I could probably keep rambling about it, but at some point trying to find the words seems stupid and makes me want to shut up and skate.

southkook

• Rep: -6
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2021, 01:02:28 AM »
I've run the calcs and skateboarding has the best monetary payoff. Considering the income I can make on energy drink and shoe sponsorships, prize money from contests and non-monetary benefits such as positive uplift in public image, I've come to realise that skateboarding trumps both blading and biking. I've also discovered that I have the least fun skateboarding, which means I can devote all my energy towards generating high yield video parts while reducing any time wasted with "friends".