Author Topic: how high can you ollie  (Read 3522 times)

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
Re: how high can you ollie
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2021, 02:50:29 PM »
Two traffic cones stacked on top of eachother consistently. 3 (about knee-height iirc) after a dozen or so tries

I was doing this last week and surprised myself with getting over three (over the the shorter side, with three they don't stack so level). I like using them as "training" obstacles because the stack simply falls if you clip and you don't get tossed.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

mushroom slice

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2021, 08:22:47 PM »
Not sure how high. High enough I guess. I can half cab higher then I can Ollie for some reason.

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2021, 01:13:16 PM »
I can ollie up a four stair consistently. I have a friend who can fucking switch ollie up a four stair which idek

TheCrimsonShroud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 98
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2021, 11:11:15 AM »
Started skating again recently and I ollied first try. Problem is my Ollies always sucked. I couldn’t Ollie over my own dick.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2021, 11:58:41 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmYNZjyjI08

I watched this Jake Hayes vid without expecting to learn anything from it, but he mentions "curling" your back ankle at the peak to get a little more height, and I do believe keepign that in mind that has legitimately helped me. At least it's improved getting my back foot the fuck out off the way so that the board can come up further
Never seen this video before. He's certainly got good height and form. I've never been able to bend my back foot that way but I'm down to practice if it will add some height to my ollies.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2021, 06:18:10 PM »
Ollied this lil wall today and as I watched the clip, I noticed my back foot is not staying in contact with the tail on the way up. Slowed it down with this gif to take a closer look, and yeah that thing is nowhere near the tail till it levels. I feel like when I watch good ollies, the back foot stays in touch with the tail.

Any tips on tweaks I can make? I'm getting comfy with adding height to my ollies but my form seems to be lacking. Gif below for reference.

I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2021, 10:01:40 PM »
Ollied this lil wall today and as I watched the clip, I noticed my back foot is not staying in contact with the tail on the way up. Slowed it down with this gif to take a closer look, and yeah that thing is nowhere near the tail till it levels. I feel like when I watch good ollies, the back foot stays in touch with the tail.

Any tips on tweaks I can make? I'm getting comfy with adding height to my ollies but my form seems to be lacking. Gif below for reference.

i love a good tail-slap

lean back, put your front foot lower and pop a bit more

Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2021, 07:01:10 AM »
ONTARIO CANADA

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2021, 12:54:05 PM »
Bout that high.

Did this last month and it was the first time I cleared 5 boards since '92.

• Rep: 31
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2021, 01:21:38 PM »
When I was a kid I used to skate a ditch with marks in feet to gauge the water level. I would ollie next to it and try to measure it at the same time. By this measure I could ollie somewhere between 18" and 36" in 1988.

Nowadays I can ollie six manholes stacked on top of each other.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2021, 06:17:23 PM »
went from 20inch ollie (when i started this post) to a 35inch ollie, summer is treating me good
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2021, 11:03:54 PM »
I ollied a fold-up table that was tipped on its side after like 50 tries, looked like 5-6 boards.

also, I think being tall gives an advantage as you can tuck without having to jump as high

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2021, 04:52:36 PM »
I actually haven’t pushed myself to my limit yet, I can probably get over a tennis net with practice but so far I can easily clear 7 boards. I wanted to try 8 but no one was willing to give a board to stack, so that sucks. I don’t really think that height is that important, to me the length and arc matters more, that’s what matters in terms of clearing big obstacles and gaps, you need a ollie that’s high and long. A large trash can is a good start I feel.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2021, 08:19:48 AM »
so apparently one of those parking barriers is just 32" tall! crazy! but now that i think about it, i think that is actually where they STARTED the contest from in the reese forbes ollie challenge.

I would have thought they are taller than that. I am pretty sure I ollied up a 6 stair that was higher than that but i dont have it on film. that jersey barrier probably highest thing i have documented. crazy to think the world rec 45" !! i honestly doubt i could even jump that high on foot lmao. i feel like even 40" is probably the highest i would ever reach with training.
ONTARIO CANADA

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2021, 09:18:51 PM »
so apparently one of those parking barriers is just 32" tall! crazy! but now that i think about it, i think that is actually where they STARTED the contest from in the reese forbes ollie challenge.

I would have thought they are taller than that. I am pretty sure I ollied up a 6 stair that was higher than that but i dont have it on film. that jersey barrier probably highest thing i have documented. crazy to think the world rec 45" !! i honestly doubt i could even jump that high on foot lmao. i feel like even 40" is probably the highest i would ever reach with training.

Yes.
There are some heavy claims going on in this thread….
40” looks really really high. Someone will get 4ft flat, I’m not sure how much higher folks will be able to go.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2021, 11:11:56 PM »
It sounds stupid but I finally realized the importance of my kick (where the nose tilts up) to get my ollie levelled and high. When needed I can ollie high but the board rockets and my back foot never sticks, dragging blindly and stomping down harder on my rail to get more height.

Now when I try to do proper ollies I drag till the point where my nose kicks up, the concave helps catch the foot / shoe, also the point where you can lift your back foot up and push down slightly with you front to get the boned-out position.

I blame shitty trick tips videos from the 2000s for my poor performance skating.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2021, 07:51:41 PM »
I’ve never had a great ollie. I like hip flexibility, so I can’t get that back foot up.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2021, 02:24:39 PM »
If I ollie too much my back leg wants to fall off so stop olling a long time ago. I try one every day or two just so I feel legit. I would think I can ollie a beer can on it's side

Started to relearn my ollie by pointing my toes out to get my hip in a better position. I don't know if it is helping but it is hard to do

Used to manual the courthouse stage back in '95. I don't remember it being like mid90's. I would go on Sundays and never saw a cop

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2021, 05:09:05 PM »
18-24” depending on frequency of stretching that week, water intake and whether I listened to Ray Parker Jr. or Huey Lewis before the sesh.