Author Topic: how high can you ollie  (Read 3523 times)

OldCandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
how high can you ollie
« on: March 16, 2021, 04:03:23 PM »
1 inch = 2.5cm

i use the board as a measuring stick to gauge wether or not i can make the jump - im currently at around 15 inches which fucking sucks.

Aside from practice and legwork what are some mullen type insights you can share to loft effortless 30inch boned ollies
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
Re: how high can you ollie
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 04:28:53 PM »

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 05:01:25 PM »
My highest ever was about 98cm / 38". I can't believe that was 13 years ago. I was 17, lighter and lankier then, so even though my ollie wasn't always pretty, I could throw my legs over some crazy shit if I tried enough times. I later found out that I unknowingly broke the Norwegian national record. Might still be the record to this day.
Nowadays, I can probably pull my old ass up to about 85cm / 33", and my ollie is definitely nicer looking now. Also, no one can ollie properly here in Japan where I live now, so I feel comparatively springier than ever.

Got a hernia surgery coming up on Friday though, so my days of stacking traffic cones may be in jeopardy.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 05:19:14 PM »
Off flat, probably around 30" in my prime. A board length on a really good day.  Now, anything over knee high (21") feels pretty fucking good. I never had finesse or smooth style so I couldn't really bone them. Just had strong legs and could jump high. It was more about timing for me.

victorP

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 05:41:03 PM »
Everything starts with your POP (and your 1st board movement, but for ollie there is no movement- other than Up, I guess). Fail there and everything else will be off/dead.

Focus on getting that hammer POP and jumping as high as you want the board to get.

Then focus on sucking your feet up and away from the board as high as you get get them while scraping your front foot toward the nose/front bolts to level it out at the highest peak you can reach.

The board follows you, not the other way around (unless your catching it, in which case you're well past learning how to ollie higher than 15"...).

Cannot emphasize pop enough. It all starts there.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 05:51:13 PM by victorP »

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 06:13:43 PM »
Highest things I ever ollied were tennis nets and I guess those are about 3 feet high or .91metres. I ollied over a mountain bike some crackhead left in the foundation spot once too. Tennis nets were the shit I got hyped on though. I also ollied up a few 5 sets and that was cool as shit because I never did well ollieing down sets. Ollieing over things is different, for some reason, than ollieing up things. I guess it is because when going up onto something there is less time/space to fuck up or get hung up. All the focus is on getting up as opposed to both up and over.

When I was a kid this OG told me that you can ollie on flat as high as you can jump and I took it from there. pop down with that back foot, suck those knees up and slide the front foot forward to level out. I definitely busted my chin with my knees a couple times when trying to get really high.

Now, shit, today, I was hella stoked to switch ollie up a curb. Maybe by the summer when im healed up I'll be able to ollie up a 3 or something like that.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 08:55:51 PM »
holy fuck

for the record the highest ollie right now is around 45ish inches (principle of diminishing returns?)

how many years of skating did it take you to achieve that ollie height or everyone on slap 6ft++ (sure seems like it based on gear threads)

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 09:13:34 PM »
I can still make it on to the stage at the Courthouse, which is cool.

I think the tallest thing I ever ollied over was three DLX boxes stacked on top of each other. One stacked the shortest way it can be stacked and two stacked the second shortest way that the three dimensional boxes can be stacked.

I also ollied over a bottle water, a pack of smokes, and a lighter all stacked on top of each other when skating in Riga. I was pretty surprised when I made it over with knocking the whole thing over.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 05:30:21 AM »
About 1ft if i'm ollieing up something, maybe 9-10" if over something... i'm not as spry as I once was.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 06:11:03 AM »
I for sure can ollie 2ft.  Probably not much more than that though.  Re: old ass legs   :(
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Fhk

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 11:28:14 AM »
2' here as well.. no more tennis nets at 44

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 08:15:05 PM »
Everyone can ollie as high as they can do a standing jump off their back foot with feet tied together one board length apart. It's just a matter of timing.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 06:46:53 AM »
Can you post a demonstration video?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 06:59:49 AM »
How bigs ya kicker
listen to cosmic psychos

Fhk

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 07:41:39 AM »
https://i.imgur.com/XkDVPAs.gifv
I obsessed with the Ollie as high as you can jump this summer. I set this up and never Ollied over it. And trust me it wasn't through lack of trying. This "experiment" was done on the clock btw haha

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 07:59:59 AM »
Seeing my friend ollie a tipped over trash can inspired me to work on my ollies in 2021. I've always had bad form with them, popping way too hard and not dragging straight or enough to get a levelled ollie, let alone a boned out one. Max I would do was 5 decks which is abysmal for how long I've skated.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Brguy

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 02:02:33 PM »
About 3 feet frontside, not that I can go much higher regular. I'm almost 6'3 for the record.

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 08:22:20 PM »
Can you post a demonstration video?

im down to try that... if you want

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2021, 08:23:50 PM »
How bigs ya kicker

like tail? truck height? steepness? wheelbase? footsize? shoe?

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 08:25:25 PM »
dont know why everyone is so upset with their seeming lack of ollie height - the world record is 45 inches and most of you guys are a like a cocks length away from it..

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2021, 09:57:59 PM »
If I remember it correctly the biggest ollie i did when i was young (in the late 90’s) was up a 5 stair.

These days, after a big break and in my mid 40’s im probably just over knee high on a good day...and managed to ollie up a 3 stair. Would love to float more but i just cant seem to do it anymore

Masshole

• Rep: 23
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 09:04:20 AM »
I find myself jumping up things in the 3 foot range pretty consistently, but when it comes to jumping over things and landing at the same height I popped from the consistency drops drastically. Just a struggle with stomping down.

Land of the Faust

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2021, 10:42:34 AM »
Until my mid 20's, I could ollie 7 skateboards stacked. Now? Probably half that.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 11:00:14 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmYNZjyjI08

I watched this Jake Hayes vid without expecting to learn anything from it, but he mentions "curling" your back ankle at the peak to get a little more height, and I do believe keepign that in mind that has legitimately helped me. At least it's improved getting my back foot the fuck out off the way so that the board can come up further

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 09:10:15 AM »
Was around 32” about twenty years ago now I am happy to ollie up a normal ledge. It’s also not so much the not having height it’s that my joints hurt on any landing much more than curb height

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2021, 11:25:59 AM »
A beer crate with kebab on top.

That's it. Thanks for listening.
IG: @flowterspace

jaysouthbay

• Rep: 1
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2021, 08:28:46 PM »
i have never tested my limits on ollies so i dont know

WoodRat

• Rep: 5
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2021, 06:16:41 AM »
On a good day, about a foot and a half. I just need to make time to skate more and get consistent.

Paulie Gualtieri

• Rep: -10
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2021, 12:28:13 PM »
Two traffic cones stacked on top of eachother consistently. 3 (about knee-height iirc) after a dozen or so tries

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2021, 01:18:52 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmYNZjyjI08

I watched this Jake Hayes vid without expecting to learn anything from it, but he mentions "curling" your back ankle at the peak to get a little more height, and I do believe keepign that in mind that has legitimately helped me. At least it's improved getting my back foot the fuck out off the way so that the board can come up further

yea, I’ve always done this. you curl that back foot, and point the nose down once you level out.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.