Author Topic: Bruising and bumps around shins and ankles  (Read 517 times)

Sila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Jamu Gost
Bruising and bumps around shins and ankles
« on: March 17, 2021, 03:12:19 AM »
I'm sure everyone here has this issue. How do you deal with it? Not missing tricks is unfortunately not a solution for me. I've been trying to massage mine away for a few days. I get paranoid about the long term consequences of not treating them but maybe it's not a big deal.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
Re: Bruising and bumps around shins and ankles
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 03:30:45 AM »
Arnica cream works really well to speed them healing and take the edge off...that's my go-to.

The only real long term consequences are calcification..which will just end up being hard bony lumps.

Slap some Arnica on them, massage them out a bit, and just try to avoid repeatedly dinking the same ones (easier said than done I know)...i had one on my right inner ankle that i managed to tap about 3 times in a couple of weeks..in the end I just skipped the trick that was doing it for a few sessions to let it heal up.

Mid top shoes help a lot for the low ankle ones... modern skate shoes are so low cut the ankles are exposed AF.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 04:25:20 AM »
I'm sure everyone here has this issue. How do you deal with it? Not missing tricks is unfortunately not a solution for me. I've been trying to massage mine away for a few days. I get paranoid about the long term consequences of not treating them but maybe it's not a big deal.

My shins have been a xylophone for twenty plus years, I reckon most skaters are the same and I've never really heard anything particularly unhealthy related to that (it actually might be the body-related concern I've heard the least, including from otherwise really delicate skaters who like to complain whenever they feel slightly off on a given day). If anything I always (naively) guessed that the bumps on your shins probably make them stronger just like broken bones regrow that way and so in the end it's just your body adapting to how you use it, as long as you don't abuse it. If long term effects should be considered then I'd be more worried about developing physical asymmetry and fucking up things like hip alignment or knee and back issues, which usually stems from repetitive movement which is hardcore in skating but can be mostly avoided by skating switch (ideally) as much as regs.

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 08:51:09 PM »
i got some cheap soccer shin pads for when im trying to learn new shit. flexible but enough to save you some misery and gives a little ankle support too