Author Topic: Collin Provost of Toy Machine  (Read 52638 times)

Luddite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
Re: Collin Provost of Toy Machine
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2021, 08:58:03 AM »
Toy Machine died when they turned all of Eds artwork into Wet Willy graphics and put on a redbull contest baby

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -101
« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2021, 09:12:34 AM »
I'm in the minority but I love Toy Machine. Every once in awhile they release a sick video like Program Injection and add a few new riders who almost always impress. Myles comes to mind.

I also dig Ed's Art.

Toy definitely isn't in their glory days anymore, but most deck company's aren't either. I don't know, maybe its nostalgia, but every time I watch a Toy Machine video I only see quality skating and sick tricks.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #182 on: March 25, 2021, 09:21:47 AM »
I love old Toy but have not really paid attention after the jump of a building Era ended

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2021, 10:35:22 AM »
He interviewed bad but was really good
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2021, 10:45:20 AM »
they lost me at Ed's creepy photo voyeur internet presence, and they absolute dogshit quality of their boards sealed the deal. 

Mike Sinclair is brand cancer
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Welpok

• Rep: 14
« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2021, 12:16:56 PM »
I mainly pay attention to the skating done, but if the marketing is wack I'll totally be over the brand and the skater. For me, I like some of the skaters on you machine, but I don't really care too much about the graphics, but I like some of them occasionally. For the most part I like graphics that have been around for years already.
SLAP: come for the gossip, stay for the lk130 Stylin’ On You attempts

“More celebrities know of me than I know of them.” -James T. Greco

Grind King Rims

« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2021, 02:30:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
remember when programming injection came out 2 years ago and everybody loved it?
[close]

Speak for yourself! Outside of Myles' great part, that video felt very throw-away-y and bland.
[close]

Leo's part is golden still. Great stand alone part to watch before you skate.

Yeah, this is really, really great. I think Leo is very similar to Elijah Bearle. I wonder if Leo had an influence on Dylan at all. The editing here isn't that bad, even the bails on the nosegrind at the end are a nice bit of editing, but I think if it had the treatment of 16mm and a more serious song it'd hit harder. Leo has a lot of power in his skating.

Sizzla

• Rep: 231
  • I luv I jah
« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2021, 02:39:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
remember when programming injection came out 2 years ago and everybody loved it?
[close]

Speak for yourself! Outside of Myles' great part, that video felt very throw-away-y and bland.
[close]

Leo's part is golden still. Great stand alone part to watch before you skate.
[close]

Yeah, this is really, really great. I think Leo is very similar to Elijah Bearle. I wonder if Leo had an influence on Dylan at all. The editing here isn't that bad, even the bails on the nosegrind at the end are a nice bit of editing, but I think if it had the treatment of 16mm and a more serious song it'd hit harder. Leo has a lot of power in his skating.

zimmi, so mi go so dem, sizzla seh dylan inspire leo
I an I haff nah white god

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1209
  • old and in the way
« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2021, 03:05:31 PM »
I miss Ed Templeton's sloppy, loose graphics that were hand drawn. They had an energetic quality of immediacy and silliness. The newer stuff he does in the computer looks totally flat and uninspired to me.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2021, 04:12:31 PM »
They arent his graphics anymore
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #190 on: March 25, 2021, 04:24:20 PM »
He still has pro board, that just came out (3rd pic). And still has toy listed as a sponsor in his IG bio. OP may be jumping the gun with this one, gonna need more proof than “someone at Yeto said so”

The set in the first pic is pretty tight.  Except Ed templeton really doesn’t need a pro model.  I can’t imagine there is any demand but whatever.  Good for him.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -203
« Reply #191 on: March 25, 2021, 04:24:42 PM »
starting to think that companies have 2-5 years of prime relevance and everything else is nostalgia

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -3
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #192 on: March 25, 2021, 04:37:28 PM »
starting to think that companies have 2-5 years of prime relevance and everything else is nostalgia
Came here to say this. All the older established brands like Toy, Girl/Chocolate, Zero, have a set maybe decadeish where they were peak but have waned. The newer big brands like FA/Hockey, Primitive, are at their peak rn but in another decade they'll be in the same boat our old favorites are in now. What board brands can really stay on relevant forever?

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #193 on: March 25, 2021, 04:48:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Came here to say this. All the older established brands like Toy, Girl/Chocolate, Zero, have a set maybe decadeish where they were peak but have waned. The newer big brands like FA/Hockey, Primitive, are at their peak rn but in another decade they'll be in the same boat our old favorites are in now. What board brands can really stay on relevant forever?

This might be a random metric, but if you take Memory Screen to Mind Field/Cinematographer's Project, Alien had damn near 20 years. With the team they had (new additions and ams) right before they fucked it, could have had another 5+ years.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #194 on: March 25, 2021, 06:06:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

It’s because they all think like Coyotes, and they are all Coyotes, yet they never realized that culturally skateboarding is roadrunners at heart but viral marketing didn’t exist with the gatekeepers previously. They run their companies with people that are coyotes, with coyote thinking, and expect different results every single fucking time. The reason this is, is because they are utterly terrified of losing their livelihoods. You do not want to know how adverse to taking risks these cats are. It makes sense, they learned from the iteration before them. They saw the big 5, Rocco the roadrunner came and toppled the whole thing down, creating prosperity for the next generation to become skater owned, the next paradigm is on the horizon and the companies don’t realize it’s going to be a massive shift, and it’s also what will allow their companies to stay relevant for infinity if they become road runners. The issue is they have already built their brands on these old theories, so unless they topple them down themselves and start anew it will just take the market wiping them out eventually to teach them the lesson, and Mark my words it will, no matter how big they might think they are, very akin to the banks in 2008. They cannot keep the brands they currently have established, or else it will be such poser/fakeness to the consumer, since the skateboard market is precipiced on organic marketing and they need a paradigm shift. The whole thing is just a glass house for the roadrunner.

And where does your Dylan-esque kickflip fit in?

shrimptoastcrunch

« Reply #195 on: March 25, 2021, 06:15:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Baker has done a pretty good job of staying fresh and relevant for 20+ years

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #196 on: March 25, 2021, 06:18:13 PM »
pontus said every company gets ten years
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

doublesteveburger

« Reply #197 on: March 25, 2021, 06:53:05 PM »
Expand Quote
He still has pro board, that just came out (3rd pic). And still has toy listed as a sponsor in his IG bio. OP may be jumping the gun with this one, gonna need more proof than “someone at Yeto said so”

[close]

The set in the first pic is pretty tight.  Except Ed templeton really doesn’t need a pro model.  I can’t imagine there is any demand but whatever.  Good for him.

Toy could ONLY be Ed and that’d be just fine if not better you god damn silly little goose egg

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
« Reply #198 on: March 25, 2021, 07:08:11 PM »
Nobody wants to admit it, but the best era of Toy Machine was driven by pure Jamie Thomas gasoline. Pairing that with Ed's relative indifference kinda worked

Grind King Rims

« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2021, 02:50:46 PM »
The problem with saying that board companies have ~10 years relevance is that they aren't art projects, they're businesses. As long as they're still profitable, they will ride into the ground.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2021, 03:58:42 PM »
Nobody wants to admit it, but the best era of Toy Machine was driven by pure Jamie Thomas gasoline. Pairing that with Ed's relative indifference kinda worked

Totally
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

JohnnyBoy

• Rep: 7
    • Fat Skater avatar image
« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2021, 04:48:15 PM »
Idc about Colins skating and he looks like a damn stick bug.

In Leos part in Programming injection theres a fall around the 1:20 mark that is awesome. His face is skidding on the ground and hes visibly over it while its happening but he isnt trying to stop it.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 625
« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2021, 07:06:21 PM »
His face is skidding on the ground and hes visibly over it while its happening but he isnt trying to stop it.

If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

shrimptoastcrunch

« Reply #203 on: March 26, 2021, 08:15:03 PM »
Toy Machine and Foundation should switch teams

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #204 on: March 26, 2021, 08:26:04 PM »
Toy Machine and Foundation should switch teams
Nah, Foundation is cooler.

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -109
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #205 on: March 26, 2021, 11:45:19 PM »
JLay banged Active Erica and Sinclair/Ed got butthurt. Let’s get real

conqueso

« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2021, 05:06:31 AM »

what a way to go out on top

if he comes back to wallenburg and does that switch tre he will be a god amongst men

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #207 on: March 27, 2021, 03:49:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what a way to go out on top

Or bottom depending on how the did it.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #208 on: March 27, 2021, 03:56:53 PM »
Expand Quote
His face is skidding on the ground and hes visibly over it while its happening but he isnt trying to stop it.
[close]

One of my favorite things about Leo's skating is his slams. You can tell they hurt but he makes the shit look so goofy

ilovegay

• Rep: 12
« Reply #209 on: March 27, 2021, 04:37:44 PM »
I would definitely rather watch Leo slam than push.